Ruling Searching deck

Silver_Cyh

er... Hello?
Let's say I have no more deck cards. I use a trainer card such as "Celio Network" or what ever supporter that search a Pokemon from your deck and put it into your hand. Am I allowed to use such supporter cards even I have no more deck cards?

I don't think so. You don't have a deck to search through.

well I really can't find an exact ruling in the compendium that matches this situation, but here's the closest one I could get:

== DRAW PILE / DISCARD PILE / SEARCHING

Q. Could I use a Poke-POWER, Poke-BODY, Attack, or Trainer to search through my deck for a particular card if I already know that card is not in my deck (i.e. using Energy Search if you know there are no basic Energy left in the deck due to previous unsuccessful searches)?
A. Yes you may, but if done repeatedly a judge may evaluate whether it's being used legitimately or merely as a stalling tactic. (Dec 8, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

so literally you "know" there are no such card in your deck (since there aren't any left), but you can still discard the trainer.

(This is my guess only, and I am not sure.)

Hah! Knew you would ask. But why ask Celio's Network when you actually played Holon Researcher?

Hmm, tough question...
I'm guessing yes... I've read somewhere about this before...I really did.... But somehow I can't remember... I might be wrong...

I'm positive that I read somewhere that you AREN'T allowed to just "discard" cards.. I'm not sure on the exact ruling..

MadRhetoric said:
I'm positive that I read somewhere that you AREN'T allowed to just "discard" cards.. I'm not sure on the exact ruling..
Well that's true, you can't just discard a card because you want to. However, depending on the card and ruling given to it, if you play a card and its effect fails then you have to discard it.

ON a different matter... could you use something like Primal Light to search for an energy while confiming a card so that you could Wally your Active?

The entire purpose of Primal Light is to search your deck for a basic energy, but that doesn't mean you're not allowed to take a mental note of what Pokemon, etc are in your deck also ;). There's nothing against it in terms of rulings.

Yeah, I seen lots of people using a certain trainer/poke-power/poke-body looking through their decks a few times before getting the card they are supposed to get. I do it sometimes too to check... ;)

Back