Contest September 2023 CaC: Attacking for Free (All Results Up!)

I understand. In this case it was not about "breaking" my entry as much as "making it look weaker in comparison", given that being able to get an extra 20 damage with downside was supposed to look worthwhile as an option, and then Future Booster Energy Capsule did the same thing but with significant upside. I do not think it is the same situation as what you describe?
The thing with Future Booster Energy Capsule is that it’s only for Future Pokémon. Sure there’s the free retreat cost, but only Future Pokémon can take advantage of that and the extra damage.

FloettefullartCACSeptfinal.png
The thought process for making this card was basically:
"What if TPCi realased a a special promo card today that still interacts with V-STAR Pokémon (Not only just Rule-box Pokémon) as a sort of "farewell" to the V format?" and "Why is Eternal Flower Floette is still not playable in any sort of media?"
I'm a big fan of Pokémon that never got to the actual cut, and Eternal Flower Floette is the only one that technically made the cut, but never has been realased in a official way, but GF has always updated data related to it.
In-lore, I think relating Eternal Flower Floette and VSTAR Powers is very fitting, considering its background story with the Definitive Weapon and Mega-Evolution.
Light of Hope uses a common disadvantage state in this format (specially with the popularity of Arceus V engine) as a way to enable Starfall Gleam, a free 90 damage attack on a 70 HP (just as the other Stage 1 Floette cards already printed) [P] Basic , that can also search your own V-STAR Pokémon and put it into your hand. This is clearly a comeback-designed card, but you can also use it as a offensive early-game counter card for decks that don't use V-STAR Powers but they have a rough matchup with deck that they do. You could also run it on decks that rely on VSTAR as a ditto counter card for moments that your opponent has used its VSTAR before you and you can't search your own VSTAR Pokémon normally, but it would be more niche.
With cards like Choice Belt, you could buff its damage up to 120, that would 2HKO every V or Basic ex on this format, valuable but not broken.
I could see this card in decks like Gardevoir or United Wings with 1 copy on each deck, since they don't rely too much on VSTAR Powers.
TL;DR:
TPCi hates AZ.
Shotouts to @Diego_Brando for its amazing artwork.

1 MORE DAY Y'ALL!!! SUBMIT YOUR CARDS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!

My submission is for the current standard format.

Electrode - L - HP100
Stage 1 - evolves from Voltorb

NO. 101 Ball Pokémon HT: 3'11'' WT: 146.8 lbs

Ability: Activation Link
This Pokémon's attacks cost [L] less for each of your Benched Voltorb.

[L][L][L] Detonation Chain 120
You may discard any number of your Benched Voltorb. Then, for each Voltorb you discarded in this way, choose 1 of your opponent's Pokémon and do 50 damage to it. (You can choose the same Pokémon more than once.) (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.) This Pokémon is Knocked Out.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
The more energy it charges up, the faster it gets. But this also makes it more likely to explode.

sp.pngYes, did i post my entry a few hours before the deadline? Indeed. But at least this time I actually submitted my entry. So that's my inspiration for the card: a lazy Pokémon for a lazy guy like me.
Well, most Pokémon with an cost less effect only for that Pokémon. So I thought: wouldnt it be fun if it could do that not to itself, but to other Pokémon, like a support card? So that is pretty much what i did.

Only A Few Hours Remaining!!! Get Those Submissions In Before It's Too Late!!!

cutting it VERY close but my entry's IN!
MAN i love coin flips! (and spread! love spread!)
There's really not much to say about the creative process behind the card this time. I just kinda... tried things until they worked? I've wanted to make a Spinda card for the longest time, and this seems like a funny way to execute it. The intended use for this card is to use cards like Capturing Aroma, Mesagoza, Cram-O-Matic or Crushing Hammer for coin flips before setting up a BIG damaged bench that can be used by decks like Cespiquen-ex, Meowscarada-ex, and Ting-Lu-ex!

The art for this card comes from the amazing Stubbyubby! (DeviantArt)
spinda (2).png
This fake actually came pretty easily after the Spinda text fake, though I'm eternally grateful for the feedback I got - it helped to streamline the design significantly and adjust its balance to be much less terrifying. The strategy here is to draw 4 cards with an effect like N, Shauna, Professor's Research, or Shaymin and then pitch your discarded cards to take down smaller or damaged EX pokemon for no energy! It can be terrifying once or twice a game, but that's all it needs to do, especially considering how it can fit in any deck.
Scrafty – [D] – HP100
Stage 1 – Evolves from Scraggy

NO. 560 Hoodlum Pokémon HT: 3'07” WT: 66.1 lbs.

Ability: Greedy Grab
If you drew at least 5 cards during this turn, ignore all Energy in the attack cost of each of this Pokémon’s attacks.

[D][D][D] Speedy Fling 10+
You may discard up to 5 cards from your hand. This attack does 30 more damage for each card you discarded in this way.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance:
Retreat: [C] [C]
It can smash concrete blocks with its kicking attacks. The one with the biggest crest is the group leader.

Hisuian Braviary V – [C] – HP200
Basic

[-] Airstream
Search your deck for up to 3 cards and discard them. Then, shuffle your deck. If you discarded any Energy cards in this way, put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokémon.

[C][C][C][C] Gale Force 130
If this Pokémon has any Psychic Energy attached, put 3 damage counters on each of your opponent's Benched Pokémon that has any damage counters on it.

Weakness: [L]×2
Resistance: [F]-30
[references]
Professor Burnet #SWSH167: "Search your deck for up to 2 cards and discard them. Then, shuffle your deck."
Gardenia's Vigor ASR#142: "If you drew any cards in this way..."
Talonflame EVS#140: "If this Pokémon has any [R] Energy attached..."
Hisuian Braviary SIT#149: "Put 3 damage counters on each of your opponent’s Pokémon that has any damage counters on it."
[/spoiler]
Airstream sets itself up for Gale Force, but Gale Force takes a bit of setup to pull off. Airstream would also be useful in Lugia VSTAR decks, but Gale Force is currently out of reach without Basic Psychic Energy because Luminous doesn't give its rainbow effect if Hisuian Braviary V has other Special Energy attached. I think it'd be fun to play around with.

KPCAC25_Hisuian_Braviary_VSTAR.png
Victini VMAX BST#022: "Attach up to 3 [R] Energy cards from your discard pile to your Pokémon in any way you like."
Ice Rider Calyrex VMAX CRE#046: "...this attack does 120 more damage for each card you discarded in this way."
Kirlia SIT#068: "You must discard a card from your hand in order to use this Ability."
Ludicolo EVS#034: "During this turn, your Basic Pokémon’s attacks..."
Radiant Charizard CRZ#020: "cost [R] less for each Prize card your opponent has taken."
Hisuian Braviary VSTAR – [C] – HP260
VSTAR - Evolves from Hisuian Braviary V

Ability: Lifting Star
You must discard a card from your hand in order to use this Ability. During this turn, each of your [C] Pokémon’s attacks costs [C] less for each Prize card your opponent has taken. (You can’t use more than 1 VSTAR Power in a game.)

[C][C][C] Mindwave Winds 140+
Attach up to 3 [P] Energy cards from your discard pile to your Pokémon in any way you like. This attack does 30 more damage for each Energy card you attached in this way.

Weakness: [L]×2
Resistance: [F]-30
This card has a number of interesting things going for it. 230 is a decent number to hit, KO'ing even the larger Vs like Dragonite, Tyranitar, and Entei, but falls short of VSTAR numbers, even with Choice Belt. It appreciates V Guard, as 260 is frail for a VSTAR, but can use Cheren's just like Arceus, though it doesn't have the added consistency of Starbirth. This is where Lifting Star adds an interesting set of flexibility. It can respond to a T2 KO more easily for a single attachment and get the rest of your Pokémon set up for the rest of the game, or enable a more powerful attacker like Slaking V for a big late game KO.

One thing I was trying out this time was an evolution line that played together, so the text entry is the Basic. Airstream gets Psychic Energy in the discard for Mindwave Winds, and Gale Force is an interesting attack into anything that accumulates damage on board, or something to take more than 1 KO since Mindwave Winds doesn't reach into the big VSTAR or ex numbers. But I also knew that each card had to stand alone as well, so I hope I achieved that.

Is the contest over?
Usually Jabberwock will announce the submission is over. But you can take this comment as unofficial notice.
Stay tuned for results at the end of the month.

I like to give a little grace period for late entries — timezones and poor planning shouldn't be a reason to get disqualified.

But you can take this comment as official notice! This round is now over, and results will be coming at the end of the month!

Will there be an October Contest?
I like to give a little grace period for late entries — timezones and poor planning shouldn't be a reason to get disqualified.

But you can take this comment as official notice! This round is now over, and results will be coming at the end of the month!

No. The contest is held every other month.

Back