Shadowless?

B

belchay

Hey guys, I recently cleaned out my closet, which was essentially a time capsule for ten years, and came across these cards. I've researched a bit, and they appear to me to be shadowless. Are these infact them? I read they're rare but how rare?

2u9mhvs.jpg

Hey,

This is my first post but I'm hoping it will help. The above cards are indeed shadowless base set cards- and they sell for a lot more than unlimited edition. The above cards lack the 1st edition stamp meaning they were printed between the period of 1st edition and unlimited. They are very rare and a base set shadowless booster box now days goes for over well over $500. In regards to the above cards, there appears to be a bit of edge wear so they wouldn't fetch as much as near mint to mint cards but they are still worth more than had they been unlimited print ones.

The shadowless cards are considered to be rare. Their price is considered to be higher. There are different price ranges for each shadowless cards. They are indeed higher in price range than other cards.

xgengarx said:
Hey,

This is my first post but I'm hoping it will help. The above cards are indeed shadowless base set cards- and they sell for a lot more than unlimited edition. The above cards lack the 1st edition stamp meaning they were printed between the period of 1st edition and unlimited. They are very rare and a base set shadowless booster box now days goes for over well over $500. In regards to the above cards, there appears to be a bit of edge wear so they wouldn't fetch as much as near mint to mint cards but they are still worth more than had they been unlimited print ones.

This guy hit the nail right on the head. They are indeed the shadowless cards, you can tell because there is no black "shadow" on the right side of the card image box. Venasaur and Charizard are worth the most, because they are the starter Pokemon from the video games. The little kids knew that they were the starters, got their hands on the most of them that they could, and those ones got damaged badly, or lost, making them rarer. The Machamp is the least rare, because it was mass produced and given out in a theme deck of some sort if I recall correctly. You could still run between $30 - $100 for these cards individually, depending on which ones you're selling, and what condition they are.

ESP said:
The Machamp is the least rare, because it was mass produced and given out in a theme deck of some sort if I recall correctly.

Machamp was given out in the original 2 Player Starter Sets. So yes, he's definitely worth the least of the bunch.

But weren't the machamps given out in the decks all 1st edition?
Making a Non-first edition shadowless just as rare as the other
shadowless holos to collectors?

crm103top08 said:
But weren't the machamps given out in the decks all 1st edition?
Making a Non-first edition shadowless just as rare as the other
shadowless holos to collectors?

I'm not entirely certain, but I'd say so. The Machamp pictured however, IS shadowless first edition though, so it's very likely it originated in a starter.

In regards to the Machamp...

Yes, Machamp was released in the decks as a first edition. But note that it was not a first edition shadowless, it gets a bit tricky because in general every 1st edition was essentially a shadowless- Except Machamp, which they kept as a first edition card regardless of it not being a shadowless.

So in actual fact you get 4 types of Machamps: 1st edition shadowless (like the one above), 1st edition non-shadowless and then the normal shadowless non 1st edition Machamp (Never seen one of those though)... I've also never seen an unlimited edition Machamp (forth type). I'm sure they must have pressed them though. But I'm not entirely sure.

The above machamp would likely be worth a bit more since it is infact as stated above, shadowless and 1st edition- meaning it was likely pulled from a booster.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was having a hard time remembering all of the different incarnations!

...the Unlimited Non-shadowless Machamp, I'm fairly certain I have one of those somewhere.

what do you mean by shadowless? i'm sorry D: i checked mine and i can't distinguish if there is a "shadow" on the right side as ESP says... so i don't know if there might be a comparision between a shadowless card and a one with shadow

xgengarx said:
It's easy to tell when you know what you're looking for:

i see, thank you very much, i'll search in my cards to see if i have some and if I do i might as well take them some pictures

Oh wow, now that I see what a shadow-less card looks like, I know for a fact I used to have alot of those. I'm still kind of salty my dad ended up tossing all my cards right around the Neo era, only real reason I quit for 9 years. Once your entire set is gone, you kind of lose motivation to continue.

Edit: Post 100, woohoo!

xgengarx said:
In regards to the Machamp...

Yes, Machamp was released in the decks as a first edition. But note that it was not a first edition shadowless, it gets a bit tricky because in general every 1st edition was essentially a shadowless- Except Machamp, which they kept as a first edition card regardless of it not being a shadowless.

So in actual fact you get 4 types of Machamps: 1st edition shadowless (like the one above), 1st edition non-shadowless and then the normal shadowless non 1st edition Machamp (Never seen one of those though)... I've also never seen an unlimited edition Machamp (forth type). I'm sure they must have pressed them though. But I'm not entirely sure.

The above machamp would likely be worth a bit more since it is infact as stated above, shadowless and 1st edition- meaning it was likely pulled from a booster.

The four editions are
"1st Issue: The first edition symbol always appeared on every card that was a part of the 1st Issue of all WOTC sets. *ALL* 1st Ed Base Set cards (one exception, keep reading) have a characteristic that only appears on some cards from the Base Set, they are "shadowless". The term is meant literally, the cards were not shaded. Now, other than the Machamp (because of some ridiculous promotion effort or something, WOTC decided the Machamps in every Issue would be 1st Edition), EVERY 1st Ed Base Set Card is shadowless. Period. The text on the bottom, which contains the copywrite date, reads "1995, 96, 98, 99 (...) 1999".

2nd Issue: This Issue contains the unlimited (non first edition) shadowless cards. Like the 1st Ed cards, their copywrite date reads, "1995, 96, 98, 99 (...) 1999". Fyi, the best way to tell if your card is shadowless is by reading this text. Non shadowless cards don't have 99 listed in the string of years.

3rd Issue: This issue was the first set in which WOTC decided to start shading the images and cards. It was by far the largest printing of the Base Set cards. If you own any Base Set cards, odds are, they're from this Issue. These cards are all unlimited, and have a copywrite date of, "1995, 96, 98 (...) 1999".

4th Issue: This was arguably the smallest Issue of the Base Set other than the 1st, and was the final printing of it. In it, a few errors were corrected, and it allowed people to pick up a few more Base cards for their decks. These cards are ALL, and let me repeat that, *ALL* unlimited. The copywrite date reads, "1995, 96, 98 (...) 1999-2000"."

I don't remember who to give credit to on the above passage.

Back