Ruling Shaymin Level up

novadragon07

Lost in my own mind, please send help...
If I have a Shaymin Lv.x (Thankfulness) as my active can I then level it up into the Shaymin LV.X sky forme?

No, you can not. As they are all the same Pokemon technically if they have the same name, which they do. So what you would be doing here is basically Leveling up a Lv.X into a Lv.X. Which, of course, isn't allowed. =]

But the ruel book says no such thing and that makes no sense. I can only level them up if they have the same name. I guess what im looking for is a definitive answer in the form of a ruling like from go-pokemon or the professor forums.

the answer is definitely no, you cannot level up a card which has already been levelled up.
if you look towards the upper left part of any level x card is quite clearly says 'goes on pokemon xxx' and at the bottom of the card (just above the weakness, resistance and retreat) it also says on what you may play a level x card.

Right it says put onto your active shaymin. It says nothing about it not being a LV.X. The name of the card does not change to shaymin LV.X it is still shaymin. The pokemon ruel book does not say a thing about this issue.

if you have a shaymin level x active that's what it is, it isn't just shaymin anymore -- it's shaymin level x now, so yes the name of the card does change. the shaymin lvl x card is a kind of shaymin, which is why it counts as one of the 4 you can have in your deck, but it is quite distinct from basic pokemon shaymin otherwise you would be able to search it out with roseanne's research and so on.
level x cards explicitly say onto what you may play them, you are trying to interpret things too liberally. notice the part near the bottom of the card where it says 'shaymin lvl x can use any attacks, pokebodies or pokepowers from its previous level'? clearly now shaymin lvl x has been changed from just plain shaymin, trying to put a second lvl x on it is not levelling up, it is a sideways move and therefore not allowed.

Actually, the name of the card doesn't change.

Bulbapedia said:
Pokémon LV.X cards also share the same name as the Pokémon they Level-Up from, and as such only four of either card are allowed in a 40- or 60-card deck.

However, the Pokegym Rules Compendium addressed this issue:

Can I level up one Shaymin Lv.X card with the other, and if I do, can I use the attacks on the previous card?

This seemed like a head-scratcher at first, but it seems it’s addressed directly in the first bullet in the New Additions document: No.

This belongs in TCG Rules Questions.

*Moved*

dmaster out.

think about the name thing this way. say there was a pokemon named 'jones'. you can only have four jones cards in your deck. but say you have special pokemon card 'bob jones' which can be put on an active jones pokemon, using all the other jones' attacks, powers, etc. . 'bob jones' and 'jones' are not the same name, but they do share a name, which is exactly what bulbapedia says. now if you had a third card 'mike jones' why would you think you could put 'mike jones' atop 'bob jones'? you wouldn't, it doesn't make any sense.

Since this is related, I will point out that you can't put one Arceus LV.X on top of another Arceus LV.X.

dmaster said:
It was just a metaphor to explain the situation. There is no card actually named that.

dmaster out.

It's an inside joke among anyone who's heard rap songs by Mike Jones.

Back