Writing Shock in Awe (Update: Chapter 2)

MrGatr

Goin Rogue Baby :DDD
Well, I finally made another fic that I will do my best on and finish. So here you guys go :)
1zxtq8o.jpg

[member] Reshiwott [/member] made this banner
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Rating: PG-13 for Violence, Crude Jokes, and Mild Language
Genres: Historical Fiction, Action, Adventure,
Bases: My own mind
Time: About 3 years from now
Credits:
[member] Dark Giratina [/member]:
  • Reviewed Chapter 1 and fixed the title
[member] Zyflair [/member]
  • Reviewed Chapter one, and fixed grammar and sentence structure
  • Found a few errors in my preview of Chapter 2
Table of Contents:
Chapter 1: Humble Bread (1,128 Words Long) Original post
Chapter 2: And Thus There Where Camels
Chapter 3: When Something Goes Wrong, It Goes Horribly Wrong
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

All Is Fair In Love And War
By [member] Martini [/member]

Chapter 1:
Humble Bread

Chapter 1:
Humble Bread

The sun began to rise, and Jarrod could feel the warmth on his skin. Slowly waking up, he rolled over to his left, noticing that the town was already busy. Grabbing a yellow stained white T-Shirt, he threw it on quickly. He opened the front door, and stepped out onto the streets of the bustling militia workers.

“What the hell had Joseph commanded the militia to do this time?” Jarrod thought to himself. “Had he taken it upon himself to call the shots. Last I heard Danny wouldn’t let anything happen at the moment. Too much tension between the British, and us.”

Jarrod walked over to the commander’s tent and quickly barged in. “What the hell Joseph!” he said, sounding quite aggravated.

“Oh dear brother Jarrod, hasn’t Danny told you? She’s ordered us out of this forsaken place. We have no business. We haven’t seen the British in over three months now. The men need action” Replied Joseph with a slight laugh.

Leaving the tent, Jarrod grabbed a rifle off the desk next to two kids planning their route with a map. The bustling zone was crazy, humvee’s were everywhere, and soldiers were loading up. Walking back into his barracks, he pulled out his pistol, taking large strides down the hall to a large room labeled “236C Commander Jarrod Barton-Sky.” He stepped to the center of the room, aimed at the ceiling and pulled the trigger.

Thirty two men poured out of bed onto the floor. “Stand up, you big bunch of panzie’s, we are moving out today, get ready get packed.” Said Jarrod in a commander like voice “and you Private Whitman!” He said sarcastically “give Ms.Piggy a kiss for us.”

The entire room busted up laughing, and Whitman just blushed. Ever since he got caught at a bar with a pig farmer’s daughter he was the laughing stalk of the group. He knew it was all a joke and the platoon really did enjoy her company, long days of relaxing in the sun, and longer nights of playing card games. She usually was there against the will of her father.

“I expect every one of you ready to go in thirty minutes, starting now!” Jarrod said with a slight chuckle still from the Ms.Piggy joke.

Jarrod walked out and jumped into a humvee. Driving down muddy roads towards the jungle, he had some business to take care of with a villager. The jungle was thick, and he always had his foot on the brakes, just in case something ran in front of him. He came up over a hill, and saw the villagers running around, soldiers receiving gifts. He noticed Allisia Bar, sitting alone next to the road just ahead. He stopped the car a few feet from her, and jumped out.

“Hey, we have to go now, you take care Rosthmath, and Jenna will you?” he said in a sad tone.

“What kinda question is that? Ever since you brought those kids to my door step, I’ve loved them like family” Allisia said with tears in her eyes. She gave Jarrod a hug, and handed him a basket full of bread.

Jarrod took it, because it was customary to receive the gifts people have given you with honor. He gave her the rifle he had token, she knew exactly what it was for, protecting the kids. Three weeks ago, Jarrod found these two kids on the street, their parents had been killed in the war, and Jarrod felt bad. He wrapped them up in nice clothes, and gave them to an old family friend.

When Jarrod arrived back at camp, his men had 13 humvee’s loaded, and everyone was ready to go. He parked the one he had near another barracks.

“Yo guys, Allisia says goodbye, and she wants you guys to feast.” He said calmy, tossing the basket towards his men.

Jarrod walked over to the navigator tent. He got the route information, and the departure time for his platoon. He got into the back seat of the front humvee, and told Colonel Williams to head off to the village we were supposed to be on our way out of this mud, and heading towards the northern deserts.

“Hey Commander?” said a calm soft voice from outside.

“How may I help you young lady?” He said to a girl that looked to be about 10 years old.

“Tell my dad not to get himself killed out there ok?” She said.

“Roger that” he said back, and shook the girls hand.

The humvee pulled off onto the muddy hill, and the group began to move towards the northern roads. The newer humvee’s that the USA had donated to this cause were nice. They sat 6 people, two in front, two on the back of those chairs facing towards the rear, and two in the rear seats. They also had a nice 50 cal. machine gun up top, with a standing spot in between the front seats. There was also a table in the center of the rear seats.

“Let’s get this party started shall we gentlemen?” Said Jarrod, reaching backwards, and pushing the CD into the player. He also pulled out a deck of cards. “ $5 on me winning this first hand.” He said comically.

The group began to play cards, as they drove through the dense brush, and thick paste-like mud. Once they came up upon the rest of the group, they sat and waited for the go over the radio to continue north into the British territory.

“Screw you Miller!” Said Whitman in the back seat as he threw down a hand that lost to Private Miller by one point, the group laughed. They had been playing a game that the people had taught them. They called it ‘trompette’ which translated to Trumpet. An old card game that was popular back in the 80’s in America. They didn’t have the money for a board or the pieces so they just played it with points.

Static suddenly came over the radio “We’re clear. Roads are safe!”

The group moved out of rut of the dirt road, and drove up the road with the other 36,000 men fighting for freedom. Jarrod, threw down a complete hand of the winning cards, and took the money sitting in the middle of the table.

“Now fork over those bills ladies.” He said laughing. His men were not amused. The navigator threw back his hand full of terrible cards and handed back his money.

“Why do I always get the crappy cards?” He said confused, and then looked at Whitman who was trying not to laugh. He punched him, and took his money back. “Screw you all!”

The humvee continued on its path towards a new barracks.

Thanks, and I hope you enjoy :)

RE: All Is Fair In Love And War

It's looking good, so I'm looking forward to where you are going with this.

Static suddenly came over the radio “We’re clear roads are safe!”
Should be-
Static suddenly came over the radio “We’re clear, Roads are safe!”
Other than that, Nice Job! I enjoyed this chapter :)

You didn't exactly get all of issues I addressed solved:
First paragraph uses the word “Busy” twice.
Second paragraph has a run-on sentence at the second part of the thought dialogue. [You actually fixed the wrong part for this]
Third paragraph, right after the dialogue, should have “he” without capitalization. There’s also a missing comma after “said.”
Fourth paragraph also has a run-on sentence at “We have no business, we haven’t...” [not fixed]
Fifth paragraph uses the word “Walked” three times.
Sixth paragraph should have the number written as a word. [no dash is required]
Seventh paragraph has an extra comma at “She usually was there, against the will of her father. “
Eighth paragraph: see sixth paragraph.

Reshiwott said:
Static suddenly came over the radio “We’re clear roads are safe!”
Should be-
Static suddenly came over the radio “We’re clear, Roads are safe!”
Other than that, Nice Job! I enjoyed this chapter :)
Period, not comma. =.=

Thanks guys. Lol, I totally didn't notice I fixed the wrong part of that. If there is any other mistakes please LMK :)

Well, I'm not a fan of the title...but I do like Ms. Piggy. So that evens it out.
The others caught all the mistskes I've found, ergo I have nothing to say. But wonderful
chapter anyway.

Lol... Thanks :) I never really realized how this chapter seemed to flow better than my others I posted before :)

I know this is a little bit quick, but I got bored last night, and decided to write my preview for Chapter 2. Hope you guys enjoy it :)

And Thus There Were Camels

Jarrod fell forward and jolted back, causing him to awake from his nap. He was confused about what just happened, sliding off his seat belt, he jumped out of his seat, and turned around to look through the front windows. He saw the driver and navigator unconscious with blood dripping from their foreheads, and splattered across the front because of the air bags. Looking closely through the space in between the air bags, he saw some camels in the road grazing.

"What the --" He was interrupted by gunfire from outside.

Quickly jumping out the far side of the door, he looked around, noticing the flashes coming from the base of the rocky mountain to the west of him. He also saw his rifle, laying under his seat. Struggling to pull it out because of the entangled gun strap, he noticed that the rest of the convoy just pulled up.

"Why hadn't the rest of the people in my humvee awoke yet?" he thought to himself as he looked up and noticed blood dripping from one of them.

Once he got his gun untangled, he heard some heavy fire coming from the humvee’s behind him. He got up into the machine gun nest of the humvee and started firing rounds with his rifle. Quickly he heard bullets whizzing past him and hitting the metal shield he wasn't concerned though. The adrenaline kicked in, and he ran out of ammo in his gun. Jarrod slid the machine gun off of safety and started to fire upon the hills. He spread his gun left to right, and right to left. Each time his bullet would hit something other than a rock, he’d hear heavier fire coming towards him. This wasn’t a good place to be.
As he jumped down out of the nest, he heard a sizzling sound, followed by a massive boom. His ears started to right, and he looked out the window and noticed that an RPG bullet just about hit the side door. Hurrying even faster to get out of the truck, he heard another sizzling sound, this one was followed by a massive force pushing him over the table, and into the shut door. He screamed in pain, but managed to get up, just in time to hear the third sizzling sound, only this time, he wasn’t able to see what happened to him. He felt this massive pain, and all he saw was smoke, and flames. Jarrod Blacked out.

It's 414 words long.

Thanks for reading this guys I'm really trying my best

Quickly he heard bullets whizzing past him, or hitting the metal shield. He wasn't concerned though.
Fixed.
Looks good! Enjoying it alot.

Why post a chapter when you can't fit the 1000 word requirement? You have some capitalization errors and grammar errors (use semicolons instead of commas in certain places).

Martini said:
Quickly he heard bullets whizzing past him, and hitting the metal shield; he wasn't concerned, though.

I can't really give a full critique since this isn't even half of the requirement, but the plot seems to flow nicely.

The Yoshi said:
Why post a chapter when you can't fit the 1000 word requirement? You have some capitalization errors and grammar errors (use semicolons instead of commas in certain places).

I can't really give a full critique since this isn't even half of the requirement, but the plot seems to flow nicely.

Hence why it's called a preview.

Let me first point out that "unconscious" is heavily more used than the awkward "conscienceless." In that same sentence, you also have an extra comma. The sentence behind that was a run-on.

Fourth paragraph thought dialogue should be continued with a lower-case "he."

I'd also like to ask: how does a gun strap get tangled? What did it get tangled with? ._.

"Adrenaline" is capitalized for no reason. The same sentence is also a run-on. The sentence after that has an extra comma (again).

... Surely you at least looked at your preview for a bit to notice that you didn't give space between two paragraphs. Do I sound picky? Yes, but at least do a brief check when you're posting.

Word counts for previews are silly. Unless you want to show off a 2k word preview like Apollo does every time he has dead activity on his thread. Speaking about his fanfic, I need to get to work on that.

Dark Giratina said:
Hence why it's called a preview.

Thank you Captain Oats Obvious. I never knew it was a preview until I actually read the entire post! I just wished that the preview had been proofread.

The day I wrote and copied the preview onto here I was super tired and rushing because I had to go somewhere (hence why it didn't get proofread)

Then you post it another day. There's no deadline for you, so why the rush?

Because I want people to criticize it (sad how I don't listen half the time)

Ok, I'm gonna give this a little bit of a bump...

I might be changing the title to Shock And Awe, whats your opinions?

My best advice to you:

Focus less on the plot, and more on the characterization.

RE: Shock in Awe (Title changed LMK, Chapter 2 tonight)

Ok, updated title, what do you guys think?

Also, an extrememly belated Chapter 2:
1606 words long, enjoy. This chapter is hopefully showing the more noble side of Jarrod, and what he does is for the greater good.
Jarrod fell forward and jolted back, causing him to awake from his nap. He was confused about what just happened, sliding off his seat belt, he jumped out of his seat, and turned around to look through the front windows. He saw the driver and navigator unconscious with blood dripping from their foreheads, and splattered across the front because of the air bags. Looking closely through the space in between the air bags, he saw some camels in the road grazing.

"What the --" He was interrupted by gunfire from outside.

Quickly jumping out the far side of the door, he looked around, noticing the flashes coming from the base of the rocky mountain to the west of him. He also saw his rifle, laying under his seat. Struggling to pull it out because of the entangled gun strap, he noticed that the rest of the convoy just pulled up.

"Why hadn't the rest of the people in my humvee awoke yet?" he thought to himself as he looked up and noticed blood dripping from one of them.

Once he got his gun untangled, he heard some heavy fire coming from the humvee’s behind him. He got up into the machine gun nest of the humvee and started firing rounds with his rifle. Quickly he heard bullets whizzing past him and hitting the metal shield he wasn't concerned though. The adrenaline kicked in, and he ran out of ammo in his gun. Jarrod slid the machine gun off of safety and started to fire upon the hills. He spread his gun left to right, and right to left. Each time his bullet would hit something other than a rock, he’d hear heavier fire coming towards him. This wasn’t a good place to be.

As he jumped down out of the nest, he heard a sizzling sound, followed by a massive boom. His ears started to right, and he looked out the window and noticed that an RPG bullet just about hit the side door. Hurrying even faster to get out of the truck, he heard another sizzling sound, this one was followed by a massive force pushing him over the table, and into the shut door. He screamed in pain, but managed to get up, just in time to hear the third sizzling sound, only this time, he wasn’t able to see what happened to him. He felt this massive pain, and all he saw was smoke, and flames. Jarrod Blacked out.

“When is he going to be up again mam?” asked a strange voice.

Jarrod lied there, pretending to be asleep. Images rushed through his head. The RPG missile, his dead crew. The gun fire, the smoke. He remembered things he didn't even know happened. While he was thinking, he began to twitch slightly.

“Now, now, no time for childish games Jarrod.” said the voice again

“What? Who is this? How do you know my name?” Jarrod said, sitting up just a bit too fast, and grabbing his side while wincing.

“You see, you aren't the only one against the people who attacked you. We've been fighting a two way war, and we want to know why you Americans are in our business?” Said the voice angrily.

“What do you mean? I'm not an American!” Jarrod said, wincing, and letting his feet down onto the floor.

Jarrod was thinking hard at this point. He was wondering how this guy knew he was an American. He was tan, just like all the other white Africans. He looked rough, and African. He wasn't carrying his Army Rangers ID on him at the time of the attack.

“Jarrod, you weren't careful enough. You let yourself get caught. Just tell me what you are doing here, and I won't have to kill you. We don't want you Americans in our fight.” Said the mysterious guy.

Jarrod, rubbed his eyes, and looked around the room. In a chair sitting near his beds foot board sat a large black African. He noticed the large features, and the massively large back pack at his feet.

“I won't speak until you have told me who you are. If you are truly going to kill me, you would've done it already.” Jarrod said thinking he was really smart.

If you must. My name is Captain Jamound Amual. I'm the leader of the forty-second recovery division. We found you and your crew moaning in pain out in the middle of the desert. Our recon unit discovered a few Rangers stopped by, and ran off quickly when they saw us. Now why would the Rangers be here in the war?” Jamound said scooting closer.

“Who's side are you on?” Jarrod said smartly

“Oh, aren't you the little hero, I work for the African Militia.”

“Why would you care? America supplies you food, and weapons, and transportation. Why can't we send in soldiers?”

“This isn't your fight, so you should just back off. We don't need your help, nor do we want it!”

With that, Jarrod, heard the door creek open. 'Crap, this is gonna suck' he though to himself. He buried his eyes into his pillow, and bracing for the loud bang of a “nine-banger.” Suddenly he heard nine bangs, and out everybody went. Running out the doors, or laying on the floor moaning. Jarrod stood up, and looked around, as he saw ten or so Army Rangers pour into the room, guns raised a few took shots at guards coming through the back door.

“Thank the high heavens you guys showed up, I almost had to spill our mission.” Jarrod said, and a ranger tossed him a pistol. Pulling it up to it's sights, and aiming a bit, Jarrod cocked it, and checked the ammo.

“We have evac in about thirty minutes, highest building around, lets get there!” Screamed the commander.

Jarrod, got off his bed, and looked through the window.

“Commander, we're going to be having a hot exvile, these guys don't like losing on their own turf. I'd suggest we get some air support about now.” Jarrod said, noticing the large amounts of people pouring out-of-doors, with guns in their hands.

“I need snipers on those windows, guards at every door, and someone out there on that porch.”
Moving quickly, all the men got into their positions, and began taking fire, and firing back. Jarrod looked around, and noticed a small child in the corner and a young Latin nurse shielding her. Walking over, he quickly pulled them both into a corner office.

“Who are you, and why didn't you run out of the doors when the nine-bangers came in?” He said in French.

“I'm an American college medical student. I was sent here to learn about combat medicine. Please don't hurt us.” said the young girl.

“Now ain't that funny. Stay here, I'll be back when exvile comes.”

The young girl thanked him, as Jarrod tipped the desk, and gave them some cover. Walking out the door straight into a barrage of heavy fire, possibly coming from the AC-130's that America gave them in an act of stupidity. Jumping onto his stomach, he grabbed his side in pain.

Looking up around, he noticed that all the Rangers seemed to still be fighting, except one who was lying on the porch near the door. Jarrod quickly ran over, and pulled him inside. “Please, get these guys out of here, they are the only family I have.” Said the young man spitting blood.

“Don't you talk like that man. I'm getting you out of here!” Jarrod said, as the young man died in his hands.

Jarrod put the kids head down, and took his gun. Checking the clip he noticed it hadn't even been fired, searching him for a side arm, he found a small pistol. He slid the clip out, and noticed that it had all been fired. This meant there was a close combat situation, where an assault rifle didn't move fast enough.

Remembering training, he went out onto the porch, crouching, and noticed that there was a door with burn marks all over it. He slid it open, and realized that there was three dead Africans, one of them that was crawling in the corner. Jarrod took aim. The thoughts that ran through his head were horrific. He lowered his weapon, walked over, and wracked him in the head.

“Sorry brother” he said, as he dragged the guy into a room.

Moving through the halls, he noticed a whole different wing of the hospital. Looking around the place he noticed how everything was in order. Not wanting to make more men come from that area than he needed to he slipped backwards, and walked into a doctor.

“Go, you never saw me.” He said pointing the gun at him, while covering his mouth

The doctor nodded, and walked off, not looking concerned at all. Jarrod backed off of the room quickly. Noticing the small little words on the files in the offices. He saw the name of Alisia. Wondering what this could be, he decided to grab the file, and run. He heard voices of guards coming through the halls, as he took cover behind the decks, prepping his gun to fire. As the guards walked by casually, he popped up, and fired rapidly. Taking them all down, while quickly moving out of the office, and through the doors back towards the platoon. They were still taking fire, and the helicopter was about forty-five minutes away. This wasn't what he wanted. Walking over to the corner office, he knelt behind the desk, and began to say;

How was the cut off at the end?

And Chapter 3's Preview:
When Something Goes Wrong, It goes Horribly Wrong.

Running through the jungle, Mason turns around, and fires a few shots. “Jeez, these guys really don't like people in their fight!” he thought to himself.

Sprinting over to a cliff, he grabbed his side to make sure his hip bag was still there. He looked through the thick undergrowth, and noticed his AC-130 coming up. So he quickly grabbed tightened his bag, turned around, fired a few shots, and ran even harder towards the clearing. Remembering what he was supposed to do, he leaped off the cliff.

Sliding through the passengers bay, he hit the wall hard. “Darnit, I though we had that changed!” he said to the gunner laughing.

“What, you wanted me to leave it open? I'd gladly let you slide through the other side, just you better have a nice lading spot.” The gunner resumed spraying the forest with a massive amount of fire.

“Fine fine, but I'd rather not be in this much pain” Mason said as the helicopter pulled out.

“Mason, we've been waiting for you” said a young girl in fancy cloths.

As Mason handed the beat up folders from the bag that dangled from his side, he said “Yeah, I know can't blame me for your slow reaction timing. I got in, got the job done, and now I have to jump off a cliff, and into a helicopter! You guys were supposed to be there before I had to do that.” Mason said sounding pissed off.

“You can't blame somebody for the faults of you not radioing in about your situation.” The girl said in a calm voice. “Sorry for my impoliteness, my name is Jessica, and my boss is waiting for you.”

“Hmmph” Mason walked off into the building.

Mason started noticing small details. The guards with vests, and seemingly large guns. They seemed to be standing around every corner, and watching Mason with every move. Mason followed Jessica into a large office in the far north corner. Sitting at a large desk, was Danny.

“I see you have gotten what I asked you to get. Did those pesky Rangers cause you any trouble?” She said reading through the folders.

“Not at all mam, actually, they were quiet easily beaten. I do suggest that you get some better pilots, that arrive on time for the next round though. That old one was horrible, made me jump off a cliff!” Jarrod said, while looking around. “Is there anything else, or am I free to go home?”

“Be on your way, I'll call you if I need anything.”

“Good day to you mam” Mason said while walking out of the room.

On his way out, he noticed that more and more guards began to fill the building. He had no idea what was going on, but he knew that more guys with guns, means something big is about to go down. He walked out a side door, and clicked the keys in his pocket. He walked over to a black Porche, and began to drive off, when he heard gunshots. Wondering if he should pay attention he flipped his phone open, just as his text tone went off.

“Get back here, we got a little bit of an issue ~Danny!” game through the phones speakers.

“Good, great, more money, and another three hundred people to kill. Why do I even consider this crap!” Mason said to himself.

Getting out of his car, and popping the trunk, he grabbed his precious assault rifle, his vest, and his handgun. Walking through the parking lot, he didn't ever expect to see anything like this. Just before he reached the door, he noticed a large helicopter that had the Rangers sign on it, and out of it was about four ropes, with at least thirty Rangers coming down.

Jarrod took aim with his sniper, “you ain't gonna come around my base ever again mother f--” being cut off by his guns fire.
View point changes. Also, don't expect to know what Jarrod did while waiting for his ride, until like a lot later. Another thing, yes this doesn't match the title on the OP... Sorry :l

Back