Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Well, from the trailer, it seems mostly the same. Slightly disappointed though that it will have to be downloadable, not able to buy in shops. It will be much easier that way. And I also don't like that it will be released in episodes.

Wow that sucks big time, this is what I don't like what they're doing with retro game remakes and new adaptations to them these days especially Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10.

They make people download these games instead of renting them like you would with any other game just cause all they care about are brainless first-person shooters and RPG's with a lack of innovation in game design.

With Sonic 4 you'll most likely have to obtain it via XBOX Live Arcade, I don't understand why Sega couldn't of done something with Sonic 4 much like what Nintendo did with Super Mario Bros. Wii on the Nintendo Wii. A simple remake or adaptation that doesn't have to be downloadable.

But why is it that video game companies these days are treating these retro games or new adaptations/sequels download only? Can someone explain to me why just out of curiosity?

Because they're smaller games and selling them at retail would be a waste of money for all involved?

USE YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

A 2D game is easier for developers to make, but harder to create hype for as a "full" game. What would the public perception be if there was a 2D game sitting on the shelf for $60 bucks next to Bioshock, etc? Since your modern 13-25 year old Call of Duty fan would likely view 2D games as "less valuable" or too "old-skool" developers pretty much have no choice but to make them download-able if they want to make a game like that at all. Mario Wii only got away with it because it's Mario. Mario Party games had no problem being sold almost 8 years in a row. (...hey, they finally stopped doing that, huh? Good job Nintendo.)

ALL THAT SAID, I'm predicting that once all the episodes are released for download they will make a disc. That can give them reason to justify it as a "real" game. Sonic's on the cover, that's all kids need to see before they want it. It happened with those Sam & Max episodic games.

Zenith said:
Because they're smaller games and selling them at retail would be a waste of money for all involved?

USE YOUR INTELLIGENCE.

So what If they're smaller games, it should be one single game packed with 10+ levels like in the old ones. What I think is a waste of retail is the majority of First Person Shooters and RPG's being spammed into the market. Games like Halo and yes (I'm probably gonna get flamed for this :p) Final Fantasy, Mass Effect, Bioshock, ugh...

Why can't anyone come up with something creative and original anymore? Whatever happened to the Action Genre? At least we still have good Fighting games like Tekken 6, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Street Fighter IV, and the like.

And for the record Zenith I do have common sense and intelligence, perhaps I enjoy old school games and new Pokemon games instead of sticking with the rest of the crowd playing games that are sub-par with a lack of ingenuity.

Porygon said:
A 2D game is easier for developers to make, but harder to create hype for as a "full" game. What would the public perception be if there was a 2D game sitting on the shelf for $60 bucks next to Bioshock, etc? Since your modern 13-25 year old Call of Duty fan would likely view 2D games as "less valuable" or too "old-skool" developers pretty much have no choice but to make them download-able if they want to make a game like that at all. Mario Wii only got away with it because it's Mario. Mario Party games had no problem being sold almost 8 years in a row. (...hey, they finally stopped doing that, huh? Good job Nintendo.)

ALL THAT SAID, I'm predicting that once all the episodes are released for download they will make a disc. That can give them reason to justify it as a "real" game. Sonic's on the cover, that's all kids need to see before they want it. It happened with those Sam & Max episodic games.

This is one of the reasons why the Nintendo Wii is so much better than PlayStation 3 and XBOX 360. "Mario Wii only got away with it cause it's Mario", that seems like a lame excuse for why Sega and/or Sonic Team didn't do the same thing with Sonic 4 and Sonic the Hedgehog. You know how popular Sonic is? He's up there with Mario and Pikachu, he was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii from what I've heard.

I could care less about Call of Duty, there's so many War games for the current Next-Gen Consoles that it's ridiculous. If there's one thing that plagued the 2000's in the last decade with the video game industry it's brainless first person shooters and RPG's as well as the death of the Arcade machine. Whatever happened to the Adventure/Action Genre? Games like Jak & Daxter stuff that's outside of Nintendo that shares elements with Legend of Zelda? Heck there's a new Zelda game coming out for the Wii.

I miss those days playing air hockey at my local Arcade joint. Entering Mortal Kombat Arcade tournies, playing POGs with the shiny slammers. God those were amazing days, 1995 FTW. The year I got my first PS One back when it was just called Sony PlayStation and beat the tar out of Tekken 1, Ridge Racer, and played through Resident Evil.

Ok I'm getting ahead of myself here down memory lane. :p

Back