Staple Cards and Explanation on Current Meta and Standard and Expanded

LuxTwo

TeamSandileWich
I used to play TCG a while back(2010-2013) and was very involved in the POP/P!P community. Due to school and work I had to stop playing for a while and I really want to get back into it. It seems like a lot has changed though. Last format I played was HGSS-on(Mid season rotations when Sableye was overpowered when the first turn rules switched). I just had some questions about getting back into it.

Such as what T/S/S cards are considered staples, what the metagame is looking like right now, which sets are the best to invest in and what cards are viable.

Also have a question along with the whole Expanded/Standard format. How does that work exactly? And what should I prioritize?

Thanks a lot to anything that can help!

-Luxtwo

I think you should find it out all by yourself (pls im not being a jerk), it´s way better and more enjoyable to do so.
You might find everything you want right here:

http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/forum/tcg-competitive-play.156/

There are a lot of discussion and some many threads with decklist of the current metagame decks, including some ideas on decks using brand new cards from fates collide set (its release will be in 3/4 days).

Also have a question along with the whole Expanded/Standard format. How does that work exactly? And what should I prioritize?

Standard Format is where you can only use decks with the cards of the most recent sets (current metagame in short) and the oldest one allowed in this format is XY. So, every other set released before XY won´t appear in standard format.

Expanded Format includes all cards used in Standard Format and some other older pokemon set (e.g. team plasma pokemon). My opinion is that you should start in expanded format because you got so many other options to test your decks and improve it little by little (people take standard more seriously).

That´s all. It is not a easy task but i guess you got the idea and what you should do to get all the knowledge here.
Good luck and have fun.

Bye :)

Last edited:
Let's give you some more specific advice, eh? :p

Such as what T/S/S cards are considered staples, what the metagame is looking like right now, which sets are the best to invest in and what cards are viable.
Currently, deck engines will generally consist of 4 Professor Sycamore, 2 to 3 N (or 2 Shauna/Birch in Standard), 3 to 4 VS Seeker and 4 Ultra Ball. Most decks reaching top tables will be running Shaymin-EX to keep up with speed and consistency, but unfortunately the card itself is quite expensive. Decks often also contain four or so copies of Puzzle of Time or Trainer's Mail if it has space. Aside from draw supporters, decks often will include 1 or 2 Lysandre and 1 or 2 Hex Maniac, with Delinquent, Brigette and Pokemon Fan Club other commonly used supporters. Of course, it's better to experience and analyse decks yourself, so you may like to check out our Metagame Deck Discussion or some of the top decks (Standard, Expanded) of this year's professional play.

For checking out meta, there are a few resources you can use. Of course, looking through winning decks is one option. Another is to check out our front page articles, some of which have some excellent summaries of the meta-at-point-of-writing. The official Pokemon website has also recently written a summary of the meta, which you can check out here. Although I'm not fully in tune with this year's meta, I am aware that the Night March variant has recently become a big contender - with over half of the top tables of States being Night March, last time I heard. Vespiquen/Vileplume variants have came to light to counter this, along with Greninja BREAK* and Trevenant BREAK variants that also have better matchups. Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade variants were also contenders, but I'm not sure how well tiered they are with Night March running rampant.

*BREAK are a very new mechanic that are very similar to the old Lv.Xs

Set investment is a funny one. You'll find that Phantom Forces is a very solid set, with not only containing the Night March family, but also Dimension Valley and Battle Compressor vital for Night March (and good for other decks), and staples such as Sycamore, Shauna and VS Seeker. It should be noted that Phantom Forces is at risk of being rotated for next season, however a recent Japanese set reveal appears to be a reprint set (reprinting major players of Phantom Forces), which we could easily see in English. Roaring Skies may also be a good investment. The Shaymin-EX ideal in virtually every deck costs insane money, even around the $40s. The EX can be found in Roaring Skies, but you would have to be quite lucky in pulling it. Roaring Skies also has Trainer's Mail, which would undoubtly be nice. Aside from those, you may like to look at Ancient Origins if you are looking at running Vespiquen/Vileplume, or BREAKPoint for Greninja BREAK.

RuskeD's explanation isn't half bad, but I'll give my two cents too, since I'm here.

Standard and Expanded are the two major formats in professional play. This year, Standard consists of all cards XY-on while Expanded has a much broader cardpool starting from BW-on. If you're looking at getting into professional play, you're probably going to need to play in both formats. For the 2016 series, I'd use this information to give you an idea of the importance of the Standard and Expanded. As you can see, the two formats are used relatively equally.

I used to play TCG a while back(2010-2013) and was very involved in the POP/P!P community. Due to school and work I had to stop playing for a while and I really want to get back into it. It seems like a lot has changed though. Last format I played was HGSS-on(Mid season rotations when Sableye was overpowered when the first turn rules switched). I just had some questions about getting back into it.

Thanks a lot to anything that can help!

-Luxtwo

Welcome back!

The first thing you need to do is read the rules. Assuming you are avoiding buying a theme deck or the like until you know if any are worth it, this page has a download for the latest rule book. Yes, that is a link to the page, not the download itself; you're probably going to need to familiarize yourself with that website anyway. ;)

I mention this because you brought up "T/S/S". The short version is that once again the game only has Pokémon, Trainers, and Energy cards. It finally occurred to the designers that maybe instead of creating a five core card categories they just needed to abandon the concept of a "normal Trainer" and give it its own name. So Trainers can now be broken down into Items, Stadiums, and Supporters. This also means themes for cards are more unified and a bit like 20 Questions: a Trainer is now a person (Supporter), a place (Stadium), or a thing (Item). If you read you'll notice the first turn rules have changed once again; the pace of the game is about as fast as it has ever been, and that is with the player going first not getting to attack. You'll also find a more detailed explanation of Standard and Expanded. Basically we just have two frequently used options for Constructed Formats, where Standard is just Modified by another name, while Expanded is Modified but with more sets (think of it as an expanded selection). ;)

My $0.02 when returning to the Pokémon TCG is to not expect to jump into competitive play immediately (at least while performing how you once did). Ease into it. The structure for Pre-Releases has changed with the most recent set (XY: Fates Collide), a set that doesn't officially release until the middle of this week. I don't know if the old advice of focusing on League and Pre-Releases is effective anymore, but either way, consider the rest of this season as training for next. I recommend prioritizing on Standard Format cards because worst case scenario, they remain legal in Expanded should those cards rotate out of Standard. This is the first year of Expanded, so we don't know if it rotation will remove the entire BW-block of sets, half of them, just a handful, or none at all. Once you've got a solid setup for Standard, go ahead and shift to Expanded. The exception is probably obvious; if you can get Expanded Format stuff at a good price, go for it. A lot of the Trainers and Energy worth getting are going to be Standard legal anyway, simply because it has been reprinted.

One last thing... it hasn't been that long. XD Make me feel like an old man why don't ya (doesn't matter if I really am one). ;) The Pokémon TCG dates back to 1999 in North America, and its only 2016. If you want to see some familiar faces (in the cards) you might try the Pokémon TCG Online. The bad news? Its a work in progress. The good news? It isn't some fan program but Pokémon official online game, and while it doesn't have cards from before it first released it dates back to the HeartGold & SoulSilver series of sets. They have two other formats that can make it a bit easier to get used to how the game has changed. In addition to Standard, Expanded, and Unlimited, it has Theme (which uses just theme decks) and Legacy (Legacy is the HGSS sets, Call of Legends, and the BW sets).

Back