Ruling Steam Siege Shiftry

Yumikora

cd / Back to the roots
XY11_EN_11.png
XY11_EN_104.png
XY9_EN_97.png

Hello!
The first attack from Shiftry negates the effect from Tool Cards and Stadium Cards so my question is:
Since the effect isn't either on the player nor on the Pokémon: Does Pokémon Ranger still remove the effect from this attack?

Other question: If Shiftry attacks a Pokemon with Bursting Ballon with his first attack:
Will he be damaged from Bursting Balloon? Will Bursting Balloon be discarded? (since shiftry negates all the effects, the discard should be prevented as well - right?)

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Good questions!

Tools are effectively a "part" of a Pokemon when the are in play, just like Energy. Anything that happens to a Pokemon happens to them, so Pokemon Ranger would remove the effect of Shiftry STS' attack. Even a Tool that's newly put into play becomes part of the Pokemon, and would come under the effect of Wicked Wind

In response to your second question, Bursting Balloon's effect doesn't occur until after the attack's effect has resolved. By this time, Wicked Wind has already come into effect and Bursting Balloon would not activate. Do keep in mind that Wicked Wind shuts off all text on Bursting Balloon, which also means it wouldn't get discarded at the end of your turn.

Ranger does not remove effects on Stadium cards -- only players and Pokemon. Wicked Wind's effect would remain on the Stadium until your opponent's next turn ends.

Thank you again! But I have still questions left.

So Pokemon Tools are a part of the pokémon when they come in to play.
1. Question: If I attacked with Wicked Wind then my opponent plays Pokemon Ranger and after the Pokemon Ranger attaches a Tool Card: Would this Tool Card be disabled? (Since Pokemon Ranger just removes all current effects and the Pokémon Tool lost it's effect while comming into play)

2. Question: Do you may have any example for this "part" of a Pokemon?
Tools are effectively a "part" of a Pokemon when the are in play, just like Energy. Anything that happens to a Pokemon happens to them

I just think of Mew-EX and G-Booster, while Mew-EX can copy all moves from all Pokémon's in play it can't copy the G-Booster attack because it is not on a Pokémon, it is on a tool card attached to a Pokémon. So if that's the reason why Mew-EX can't copy the attack, I'm not sure why Pokémon Ranger should negate the effect of Wicked Wind since it is also an effect on a tool card and not on the Pokémon... I don't know if I mix things up here - but should these two rulings not be aligned with each other?

Question 1: Pokemon Ranger removes existing effects on Pokemon, including the one that prevents Tool cards from working. Since the effect is essentiall on the Pokemon, a Tool that comes into play after Pokemon Ranger is played would have its effect.

Question 2: The more well-known example of attached cards being "part" of a Pokemon is in regard to the Omega Barrier Ancient Trait, seen on Primal Groudon-EX and a few other cards. Playing Startling Megaphone would not remove a Tool from these Pokemon, nor would Crushing Hammer remove Energy, because one attached these are "part" of the Pokemon with Omega Barrier.

The reason Mew-EX can't use G Booster is due to the way G-Booster is worded. It states that the Genesect-EX that it's attached to "can use" G Booster, but Genesect-EX doesn't "own" the attack -- it's simply able to use it thanks to the Tool. This is how Mew-EX's Versatile Ability works as well -- its only actual attack is Replace, but Versatile lets it use the attacks of other Pokemon in play. A way to view this would be if Zoroark BREAK used Foul Play while your opponent had Mew-EX Active. Zoroark BREAK would only be able to use Replace.

Back