Sweep team?

Jordan

swaggot
Hey i'm new to team building, so I don't really know what to do. I kind of have an idea, but anyway if you guys could rate my team and tell me if anything should be changed please tell me! Constructive criticism is appreciated!~

So I Decided to try and go for a sun / sweep team i guess i don't really know what to call it...

Ninetales @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
Drought Ability
Ev's: 252 SpAtk, 252 Spe
Moves-
Protect
Energy Ball
Flamethrower
Roar
He sets up sunny day which boosts my Venusaurs speed to insane limits while also being able to use protect to scout out incoming moves. I also chose to include energy ball for those unsuspecting water starters or water types in general who try to take out Ninetales and flamethrower for grasstypes.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
Chlorophyll Ability
Ev's: 252 Spe, 252 SpAtk
Moves-
SolarBeam
Growth
LeechSeed
Sludge Bomb
*I was going for Venusaur being the sweeper on the team*
After having sunny day being set up by Ninetales' drought venusaur will basically be able to outspeed anything, and quickly set up with a leech seed to make up for the loss of health by life orb. The Life Orb makes Venusaur a very strong special attacker, where he can use a powerful solar beam in one move rather than two since sunny day is up, along with sludge bomb as a secondary special attack move.

Starmie: @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Natural Cure Ability
Ev's: *I don't know what to Ev train Starmie in yet if you guys could help that'd be awesome*
Moves-
Thunderbolt
Recover
Rapid Spin
Scald
Starmie is mainly here to Remove entry hazards and be able to take out fire types that might otherwise threaten Venusaur with scald, and be able to take out water types that can do some serious damage to the firetype pokemon on my team. recover being used to quickly regenerate health along with left overs makes starmie rather difficult to take down.

Infernape: @ Choice Band
Timid Nature
Iron Fist Ability
Ev's: 4 Hp, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Moves-
Sky Uppercut
Fire Blast
U-Turn
Grass Knot
since Infernape's ability is Iron fist which boosts punching type moves sky uppercut was a clear decision plus the STAB since Infernapes 50% Fighting which can take out opposing Heatran's and other weather opposers like Tyrannitar and Hippowdon. Fire blast is also a STAB move being it's a fire type move, this can be used to take out a majority of venusaur counters like bug and ice types.

Heatran: @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
Flash fire Ability
Ev's: 248 Hp, 252 SpDef, 8 Spe
Moves-
Lava Plume
Slealth Rock
Protect
Toxic
Heatran is more of the special defender on the team, where he is already a pretty bulky pokemon to begin with making him even more resistant can't hurt too much. Heatran having access to Toxic makes it easier for my sweeper to take out walls such ass blissey, etc but also being able to do damage to the opposing teams pokemon each turn, this goes in hand with protect. Heatran can use protect for a few reasons, one being able to spot out choice pokemon, the second being able to go a turn without taking damage and if previously used, the toxic will take damage from the other pokemon, and third being able to scout out upcoming moves similar to ninetales. Stealth rock is used to set up entry hazards for incoming pokemon also making it easier to take out walls and sweepers, this with toxic go perfectly together.

I don't know who the Sixth pokemon should be, if you have any ideas PLEASE share them! Thanks.

Hi Jordan, welcome to PokeBeach! If you could include a 3 or 4 sentence description of what each Pokémon does, that would be great! It makes it easier for team raters to figure out what your team's strong points are, as well as where it could be improved a little bit. :)

TPO3 said:
Hi Jordan, welcome to PokeBeach! If you could include a 3 or 4 sentence description of what each Pokémon does, that would be great! It makes it easier for team raters to figure out what your team's strong points are, as well as where it could be improved a little bit. :)

I re-edited and i hope it's much more helpful now. thank you for letting me know. :D

Thanks! For your team, I would consider switching up Starmie and Infernape to different pokemon.

Starmie I would consider switching because of how it reacts in the Sun, which Ninetales puts up. Since Sun makes Water-type moves do half as much damage, Starmie won't be able to threaten pokemon as effectively. A rapid spinner that normally functions well on sun teams you might want to consider is Forretress. It has good physical bulk to help against a few pokemon that threaten Sun teams (like Terrakion and Dragonite locked into Outrage), it can use Rapid Spin, and it also has Volt Switch so that you don't lose momentum. I'd consider a set like this:

Forretress @Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Relaxed nature
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
IVs: 0 Speed
~Rapid Spin
~Gyro Ball
~Volt Switch
~Spikes

In place of Infernape, I'm going to suggest Latios. It helps check Terrakion and Hippowdon like Infernape does, and it also helps against Rain teams, which can be problematic for Sun. You have to play carefully since Latios often will let Tyranitar switch in pretty easily, but you should be able to play around it. It you want a safer alternative, you can also try the more defensive pokemon in Latias. I would suggest an Offensive Latios set with max EVs in Special Attack and Speed, a Timid nature, and then a moveset of Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Hidden Power Fire, and Roost. If you want to use Latias, you have a couple of options. The EVs should definitely be max HP and Speed, but the moves could vary. Calm Mind and Dragon Pulse are two you definitely want to use. You probably want the last 2 to be some combination of Roost, Hidden Power Fire, and Substitute. Roost lets Latias live longer, Hidden power Fire nails some common switch-ins, like Scizor and Ferrothorn, but Substitute can be used since it lets you switch out of Tyranitar without fearing a strong Pursuit attack.

TPO3 said:
Thanks! For your team, I would consider switching up Starmie and Infernape to different pokemon.

Starmie I would consider switching because of how it reacts in the Sun, which Ninetales puts up. Since Sun makes Water-type moves do half as much damage, Starmie won't be able to threaten pokemon as effectively. A rapid spinner that normally functions well on sun teams you might want to consider is Forretress. It has good physical bulk to help against a few pokemon that threaten Sun teams (like Terrakion and Dragonite locked into Outrage), it can use Rapid Spin, and it also has Volt Switch so that you don't lose momentum. I'd consider a set like this:

Forretress @Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Relaxed nature
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpDef
IVs: 0 Speed
~Rapid Spin
~Gyro Ball
~Volt Switch
~Spikes

In place of Infernape, I'm going to suggest Latios. It helps check Terrakion and Hippowdon like Infernape does, and it also helps against Rain teams, which can be problematic for Sun. You have to play carefully since Latios often will let Tyranitar switch in pretty easily, but you should be able to play around it. It you want a safer alternative, you can also try the more defensive pokemon in Latias. I would suggest an Offensive Latios set with max EVs in Special Attack and Speed, a Timid nature, and then a moveset of Draco Meteor, Psyshock, Hidden Power Fire, and Roost. If you want to use Latias, you have a couple of options. The EVs should definitely be max HP and Speed, but the moves could vary. Calm Mind and Dragon Pulse are two you definitely want to use. You probably want the last 2 to be some combination of Roost, Hidden Power Fire, and Substitute. Roost lets Latias live longer, Hidden power Fire nails some common switch-ins, like Scizor and Ferrothorn, but Substitute can be used since it lets you switch out of Tyranitar without fearing a strong Pursuit attack.

Thank you so much for your input, I am making the changes. Also do you recommend any Pokemon for my sixth slot? It would be appreciated! :D

thank you so much for your input, I am making the changes. even i got some new pokemons to add in my 6th slot

I would definitely use Solarbeam instead of Energy Ball on Ninetales. It is more powerful and sun insta-charges it.
Also, Roar is not that great for Ninetales because Ninetales is a hard, fast hitter, and a lead, not a phazer. I would suggest using Hypnosis instead. While inaccurate, it can be really useful. Or you could use Sunny Day to hard counter Politoed along with Solarbeam. You could also use Focus Sash on Ninetales but Life Orb is fine.

Venusaur is a sweeper so Leech Seed is useless. I would replace it with a coverage move maybe something like Hidden Power Fire/Ice/Rock.
Two interesting Pokemon that I have found useful on my sun team are Sableye and Zebstrika. I know this is kinda weird, but here's the sets for them to consider using as your last Pokemon.

Sableye
Dark Gem/Leftovers
252 HP
4 Atk
252+ SpD
-SpA
Prankster
-Taunt
-Sucker Punch
-Sunny Day
-Will O Wisp

and

Zebstrika
Choice Specs
-Atk
252 SpA
4 SpD
252+ Spe
Lightningrod
-Overheat
-Volt Switch
-Thunder
-HP Ice

This is good for countering rain teams with accurate and powerful Thunders and in sun Overheat is really powerful. Volt Switch and HP Ice are just handy.

Volcarona or Shiftry are more options.
For Shiftry a good set is:
Specs
Dark Pulse
HP Fire
Solarbeam
Focus Blast

grantm1999 said:
I would definitely use Solarbeam instead of Energy Ball on Ninetales. It is more powerful and sun insta-charges it.
Also, Roar is not that great for Ninetales because Ninetales is a hard, fast hitter, and a lead, not a phazer. I would suggest using Hypnosis instead. While inaccurate, it can be really useful. Or you could use Sunny Day to hard counter Politoed along with Solarbeam. You could also use Focus Sash on Ninetales but Life Orb is fine.

Venusaur is a sweeper so Leech Seed is useless. I would replace it with a coverage move maybe something like Hidden Power Fire/Ice/Rock.
Two interesting Pokemon that I have found useful on my sun team are Sableye and Zebstrika. I know this is kinda weird, but here's the sets for them to consider using as your last Pokemon.

Sableye
Dark Gem/Leftovers
252 HP
4 Atk
252+ SpD
-SpA
Prankster
-Taunt
-Sucker Punch
-Sunny Day
-Will O Wisp

and

Zebstrika
Choice Specs
-Atk
252 SpA
4 SpD
252+ Spe
Lightningrod
-Overheat
-Volt Switch
-Thunder
-HP Ice

This is good for countering rain teams with accurate and powerful Thunders and in sun Overheat is really powerful. Volt Switch and HP Ice are just handy.

Volcarona or Shiftry are more options.
For Shiftry a good set is:
Specs
Dark Pulse
HP Fire
Solarbeam
Focus Blast

I see what you're saying about putting SB on Ninetales rather than energy ball, I did consider that but figured energy ball would be a safer choice in terms of weather wars, also I see where you're going with hypnosis and i have considered it. Thank you.

Yes, I have removed leech seed as a move and switched life orb for black sludge, putting HP Fire in leach seeds place.

Thank you for suggestions for my final slot, i will test them both! Big Grin

Back