Target Stores Cracking Down on TCG Scalpers

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Target stores are taking new measures against scalpers.
As spotted by Shuman2100, some Targets have posted a sign in their card sections warning they will block scalpers from making purchases:
“Target reserves the right to prohibit purchases of any merchandise to resellers. Resellers are defined as a company or individual that purchases goods with the intention of selling them rather than using them.”
Target notes, “This includes individuals that exhibit behaviors such as pack searching and weighing.”
This isn’t the first time Target has responded to scalping. In May 2021, Target temporarily pulled all trading cards from their stores after a scalping incident turned...

[url="https://www.pokebeach.com/2024/06/target-stores-cracking-down-on-tcg-scalpers"]Continue reading...

That sign looks like it was printed on photocopy paper. Is there evidence it's more than a single location restricting sales to scalpers?

Who is scalping at Target?? Their prices are straight up worse than a lot of popular online card shops.

Unless they install cameras at self-checkout (which they should in general), there's no chance that they can actually catch the scalpers even at self-checkout
Yeah, but you could easily just hide some of the product, buying some, then come back inside and buy the rest. I really don't think most (underpaid) employees care as long as you're a paying customer lol.

I think some stores should implement what shops in Japan has done. After the purchase is completed the store worker opens the packaging of the product not boosters but unseals the ETB or other boxes products so that a reseller can't sell the box as a whole.

Like remove the plastic wrapping or open the boxed item.

Or done before Purchase is finished.

Loophole: come to Target with kids (either family members or your friends kids) and then load up the cart with Pokemon cards. Make sure to tell them not to open it until you're in the car. Then, place these products in the trunk, drive away and if a kid asked for them tell them "how about ice cream, anyone?'

with self checkout, there’s nearly zero chance they can enforce this
Actually, it's quite possible. Self-checkout interfaces restrict you from paying if you have age-restricted items in your cart that an employee has to override once you show them ID. You can implement the same idea by flagging UPCs and showing the message "this item cannot be purchased in self-checkout; please go to a conventional checkout lane to make your purchase."

Ye that’s true, but I think a limit of how many you can get would be better. Also, it could be someone doing a mass opening
Someone doing a mass opening can easily buy product elsewhere than Target, and typically would probably buy from a distributor anyway.

Last edited:
The scalping and reselling was big during the sword and shield era, but since last January, things have completely calmed down.

If you guys took a look at the pokemon section today, you'll see it'll mostly be stocked up.

I feel this article is outdated already.

The easiest way to do this is to lock it all behind Guest Services and have customers come up and ask for it, having a bit of humility helps curb scalping since there's always an ego aspect to these things.

Now if only stores like WalMart and Costco (especially the latter, just because you specialize in selling wholesale that doesn't mean you should let the public buy out pallets of TCG products) could do something like this, I'm sure we've all heard the story of that father-and-son team cleaning out their local Costco of a specific Scarlet & Violet - 151 bundle to resell it at a brick-and-mortar store they operate.
Actually, it's quite possible. Self-checkout interfaces restrict you from paying if you have age-restricted items in your cart that an employee has to override once you show them ID. You can implement the same idea by flagging UPCs and showing the message "this item cannot be purchased in self-checkout; please go to a conventional checkout lane to make your purchase."
Seconding this, self-checkouts can also enforce product limits under the right circumstances.
Someone doing a mass opening can easily buy product elsewhere than Target, and typically would probably buy from a distributor anyway.
Agreed, most YouTube product openings are done with product that's obtained elsewhere, especially when you can said product for a cheaper price than Target's.

The only time this doesn't work is if someone's doing an opening of Target-exclusive TCG merchandise, I've always heard rumors of scalpers paying a store's distributor rep under the table to get certain products before they're put on the shelf and wouldn't be surprised if that's still happening.
The scalping and reselling was big during the sword and shield era, but since last January, things have completely calmed down.

If you guys took a look at the pokemon section today, you'll see it'll mostly be stocked up.

I feel this article is outdated already.
I agree with this to an extent, the scalping for TCG products in general has largely stopped, most scalpers have moved onto other TCGs like One Piece and Disney's Lorcana.

But for the scalpers that feel like they've invested too much into Pokémon and decided to stay? They've shifted more towards gaming the prices of certain chase cards (Secret Art Rare Iron Crown ex, anyone?) or buying out a TCG product that's exclusive to certain stores like Pokémon Center.

This is honestly why I'm not too pleased with TPCi sticking with the concept of special sets even after Celebrations' horrible drops and 151's rocky start, even though Shrouded Fable doesn't look too appealing I have no doubt scalpers will try to make bank off of it due to TPCi being TPCi.

The easiest way to do this is to lock it all behind Guest Services and have customers come up and ask for it, having a bit of humility helps curb scalping since there's always an ego aspect to these things.

Now if only stores like WalMart and Costco (especially the latter, just because you specialize in selling wholesale that doesn't mean you should let the public buy out pallets of TCG products) could do something like this, I'm sure we've all heard the story of that father-and-son team cleaning out their local Costco of a specific Scarlet & Violet - 151 bundle to resell it at a brick-and-mortar store they operate.

Seconding this, self-checkouts can also enforce product limits under the right circumstances.

Agreed, most YouTube product openings are done with product that's obtained elsewhere, especially when you can said product for a cheaper price than Target's.

The only time this doesn't work is if someone's doing an opening of Target-exclusive TCG merchandise, I've always heard rumors of scalpers paying a store's distributor rep under the table to get certain products before they're put on the shelf and wouldn't be surprised if that's still happening.

I agree with this to an extent, the scalping for TCG products in general has largely stopped, most scalpers have moved onto other TCGs like One Piece and Disney's Lorcana.

But for the scalpers that feel like they've invested too much into Pokémon and decided to stay? They've shifted more towards gaming the prices of certain chase cards (Secret Art Rare Iron Crown ex, anyone?) or buying out a TCG product that's exclusive to certain stores like Pokémon Center.

This is honestly why I'm not too pleased with TPCi sticking with the concept of special sets even after Celebrations' horrible drops and 151's rocky start, even though Shrouded Fable doesn't look too appealing I have no doubt scalpers will try to make bank off of it due to TPCi being TPCi.
100% it's One Piece and some Lorcana right now. Pokemon scalping is mostly dead but OP is/was heavily scalped. There are also some Sport products that are scalped as well.

I feel like some people here forget there is more than Pokémon out there.

You're very right about the singles being bought out and sold higher. An example would be the illustrator rare Eevee from Twilight Masquerade: it was $25 during prerelase, which usually is high because the product isn't officially out, but now it's set at a high price of $45 (or at least last I checked).

The alt arts from S&S are now plateauing or falling in price. I blame income tax a little for that one and FOMO.

There's market prices on TCGplayer that just don't reflect what NM is really selling for, due to market manipulation.

with self checkout, there’s nearly zero chance they can enforce this
Dont pokemon boxes have those theft-protection-thingies?
We have those on pokemon products where I live, and you can not take them through self checkout.
1717997934049.jpeg
The Smyth Toys chain here also keeps all trading card products behind the cashier and service desks. You have to go there and ask for specific boxes.

Dont pokemon boxes have those theft-protection-thingies?
We have those on pokemon products where I live, and you can not take them through self checkout.
View attachment 19497
The Smyth Toys chain here also keeps all trading card products behind the cashier and service desks. You have to go there and ask for specific boxes.
Here in the States it depends on the retailer and where stores are located, you generally see spider-wrap security straps like that on products worth more than $100 USD while cheaper merchandise is stocked normally unless the store’s in a high-crime area (then it’s either in security boxes, behind a glass case, or at Guest Services).

I mean, carrying the entire stock of box collections in your cart isn't a dead giveaway at all.
Target have really good security cameras, they have a person constantly monitoring it i would assume they would be watching people opening cards. Also almost all targets hide thier pokemon packs behind customer service desk anyways, so no stealing.

Back