Help Techs Against Greninja?

Yumikora

cd / Back to the roots
So what cards are considered good tech cards against Greninja besides garbodor and hex maniac?
Is there something you even could put in as example a Volcanion deck to make your match up better?

I think Team Aquas Secret Base could be an option, since most Greninja don't run float stones and would not be able to retreat for free if Team Aquas Secret Base is up, but this is countered easily by putting down a stadium card, and even if Greninja can't get rid of the stadium, it's damage would only be reduced by 60.

So what to do to beat Gerninja with a deck that has a bad match up against it without hurting the original deckconcept to mutch?

I think the best tech against Greninja just came out actually. It isn't tournament legal yet, but I think the new Giratina from the blister packs might spell a lot of trouble for Greninja. Not sure how much room a lot of decks will have for it, but for decks that run heavy abilities which preclude using garb, I think this might become a huge tech.

http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/11/giratina-3-pack-blister-in-december

I think the best tech against Greninja just came out actually. It isn't tournament legal yet, but I think the new Giratina from the blister packs might spell a lot of trouble for Greninja. Not sure how much room a lot of decks will have for it, but for decks that run heavy abilities which preclude using garb, I think this might become a huge tech.

http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/11/giratina-3-pack-blister-in-december

Greninja can just play Silent Lab and turn if off. M Sceptile EX is a great counter. It has healing and a trait that makes in immune to abilities so they can't do more than 80 damage to you and its only bad matchup is Volcanion.

Greninja can just play Silent Lab and turn if off. M Sceptile EX is a great counter. It has healing and a trait that makes in immune to abilities so they can't do more than 80 damage to you and its only bad matchup is Volcanion.

Definitely not saying the new Giratina is perfect, but I think the typical Greninja deck is running 1-3 Faded Town / Rough Seas in some combination or alone. Running Silent Lab requires a change to that approach with limited upside against any of the other major standard decks being run at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I think that is a good counter that has the added benefit of potentially impacting Hoopa / Shaymin as well, but given how stadium wars tend to go, does the Greninja deck really want to be forced into running 2-3 Silent Labs over other options? I suppose if Giratina becomes the tech of choice, it forces the choice, but my main point is that I don't think running Silent Lab is a cut and dried decision.

Definitely not saying the new Giratina is perfect, but I think the typical Greninja deck is running 1-3 Faded Town / Rough Seas in some combination or alone. Running Silent Lab requires a change to that approach with limited upside against any of the other major standard decks being run at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I think that is a good counter that has the added benefit of potentially impacting Hoopa / Shaymin as well, but given how stadium wars tend to go, does the Greninja deck really want to be forced into running 2-3 Silent Labs over other options? I suppose if Giratina becomes the tech of choice, it forces the choice, but my main point is that I don't think running Silent Lab is a cut and dried decision.

If Greninja doesn't run Silent Lab and runs into a Giratina, they simply just lose when it comes into play. It's too big an oversight for them. Greninja doesn't really need any Stadium and the fact that some builds choose to run Faded Town shows that and if they really need Rough Seas, they could use one Shaymin EX to heal 20 from each Pokemon instead. Greninja has all the room for tech options.

If Greninja doesn't run Silent Lab and runs into a Giratina, they simply just lose when it comes into play. It's too big an oversight for them. Greninja doesn't really need any Stadium and the fact that some builds choose to run Faded Town shows that and if they really need Rough Seas, they could use one Shaymin EX to heal 20 from each Pokemon instead. Greninja has all the room for tech options.

Right, but the question was "what is a good tech against Greninja." Giratina fits that question to a T. It isn't as effective as a Garbodor because it has an easier counter, but it also requires the Greninja deck to counter it with a Stadium, takes up one slot, is a bench sitting pokemon rather than a stadium, loses only one card when killed, performs its function anytime Silent Lab gets bumped from the stadium slot, and doesn't require a 2-2 / 2-1 + tool line to function. Ultimately, no tech card is perfect, but this comes as close to perfect as it gets against Greninja.

As you stated, it can be countered and likely will be countered by Silent Lab. But just because "I can Lysandre up Garb and kill it" is an effective counter to Garb doesn't mean Garb isn't an effective play. It means it is situational (and much better in far more settings I might add). But if your deck is ability reliant and can't afford to use Garb due to that reliance, Giratina is probably the next best choice against Greninja.

Right, but the question was "what is a good tech against Greninja." Giratina fits that question to a T. It isn't as effective as a Garbodor because it has an easier counter, but it also requires the Greninja deck to counter it with a Stadium, takes up one slot, is a bench sitting pokemon rather than a stadium, loses only one card when killed, performs its function anytime Silent Lab gets bumped from the stadium slot, and doesn't require a 2-2 / 2-1 + tool line to function. Ultimately, no tech card is perfect, but this comes as close to perfect as it gets against Greninja.

As you stated, it can be countered and likely will be countered by Silent Lab. But just because "I can Lysandre up Garb and kill it" is an effective counter to Garb doesn't mean Garb isn't an effective play. It means it is situational (and much better in far more settings I might add). But if your deck is ability reliant and can't afford to use Garb due to that reliance, Giratina is probably the next best choice against Greninja.

Pretty much. I just wish Giratina was a bit better and turned off abilities of fire Pokemon too. Giratina does do that job but nothing works like having more Hex Maniac in your deck. I added more to my list and it has improved the match up a lot. I'm just curious to see how the meta changes with the card.

Pretty much. I just wish Giratina was a bit better and turned off abilities of fire Pokemon too. Giratina does do that job but nothing works like having more Hex Maniac in your deck. I added more to my list and it has improved the match up a lot. I'm just curious to see how the meta changes with the card.

Ha! I wish it was a freaking tool removing reprint of a supporter / item instead :D

I've heard a lot of discussion about Giratina, which shuts off all Abilities of BREAK Pokémon such as Greninja, but people counter saying that Greninja can play Silent Lab. I think the best tech is just running a lot of Hex Maniacs or healing, but if your not into that run Garb or Giratina.

Best techs you can use against greninja:

Paralel City> both sides are very good, early you can kill some pokes limiting the bench and late you limit the damage.

Healing cards> PCL, maybe fairy drop depending on what you are playing...

Back