TGC, Old-School style

Mr.Gengar

Cursed Mindtrick, Old-School Style.
How many of you still play/collect older series of Pokémon TCG?

I play with cards ranging from Base to the Neo collection + some newer cards bought on Ebay with my friends.

I do. I still collect the cards when I can get a hold of them but I rarely see them in stores unles the come in blister packs with a newer set release. That is the only time I can get them.:)

I usually want cards NOT in in the format more than cards in the format. But then, I don't go to tourneys.

I only want new cards, being a tournament player myself. Old junk ain't worth it to me. Unless it's a Gardevoir.

Old cards aren't really worth it to me, considering that you can't actually do anything with them besides collecting.

Nidoqueens, Mudkips and Spinda's are always welcomed.

I collect a few awesome cards, like Rocket's Admin, Slowking NG and Dragonite DS for that random Unlimited Tournament, or just for league.

.::n00bmuffin::. said:
Old cards aren't really worth it to me, considering that you can't actually do anything with them besides collecting.

Not only do I collect them, but I also frequently play with my friends. Are the first formats playable at tournaments or not? We would like to try our decks competitively against other players.

Do you think old formats stands a chance against all those new Diamond/Pearl sets ?

Lou Cypher said:
I only want new cards, being a tournament player myself. Old junk ain't worth it to me. Unless it's a Gardevoir.

.::n00bmuffin::. said:

Do you guys realize what you are missing with the older sets? They are worth a lot of money now and hard to find in retail stores. You guys were small when Pokemon first started. You should get some older set cards because they were the best ones ever made and are not forgotten by any old school player or collector for that matter. They had good HP and attacks. They were just the best. That is why a lot of us love Pokemon so much.:)

Mr.Gengar said:
Not only do I collect them, but I also frequently play with my friends. Are the first formats playable at tournaments or not? We would like to try our decks competitively against other players.

Do you think old formats stands a chance against all those new Diamond/Pearl sets ?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), no. Sets are phased out once every year. The next one will be on September 2008 and will ban any set that came before Diamond/Pearl. The reason, other than for Pokémon USA to keep making money, is the opposite, actually. Cards like Energy Removal, Gust of Wind, Sneasel, Blastoise, Alakazam, Ditto, Mr. Mime, and Multi Technical Machine 01 can overpower a large portion of today's cards.

Ophie said:
Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), no. Sets are phased out once every year. The next one will be on September 2008 and will ban any set that came before Diamond/Pearl. The reason, other than for Pokémon USA to keep making money, is the opposite, actually.
I've read somewhere there is sometime unlimited format matches during competitions. Am I right or did I misread? If I'm right, do they happen often or are they totally random matches?

Ophie said:
Cards like Energy Removal, Gust of Wind, Sneasel, Blastoise, Alakazam, Ditto, Mr. Mime, and Multi Technical Machine 01 can overpower a large portion of today's cards.
That's what I thought, too. Newer sets are pretty powerful, but some older cards are a force to be reckoned with. Since I don't play the new TCG, I don't know all the weaknesses I could abuse with my old cards, but I see 2 cards that could potentially mess up most of today's decks : Muk and Aerodactyl (fossil).

Another card, which would be great to have in those newer series decks, would be Ecogym from Neo Genesis. This effect would be almighty with today's energy cards.

Actually, I'm tryin' to collect all English cards from all sets... and then I'll try to get some exclusive Japanese cards.

I've been trying to get all the cards from Base Set and Jungle expansions, I'm almost done with my goal. I also do use them in some of my decks.

Metalizard said:
Actually, I'm tryin' to collect all English cards from all sets... and then I'll try to get some exclusive Japanese cards.

You can get them online for $150.00 for an entire set.:)

Wow, I'm pleased to know some people still care about the good ol' days of Pokémon TCG. I miss a few cards to complete my Base, Jungle, Fossil and Rocket collection (most of them being Holofoils I already have non-holo). My Goal is to complete my collection up to the end of the Neo format. I'm pretty advanced in the gym series, but I miss alot in the Neo series.

I may post a deck or two, old school-style, soon.

Well, one thing you can do is combine Aerodactyl (Fossil) with Omastar (Majestic Dawn) while having Aggron ex (Crystal Guardians) out as the Active Pokémon. Once all of the opponent's Pokémon have been reduced to Basics through Omastar (as it devolves all of the opponent's Pokémon each time it's brought into play) and Aggron ex becomes the Active (which leaves Basic Pokémon unable to attack or use any Poké-Powers or Poké-Bodies), you can evolve Mysterious Fossil into Aerodactyl to prevent them from ever evolving again as long as Aerodactyl remains out.

With all three of these Pokémon out, your opponent is almost entirely powerless. Only Gust of Wind or Warp Point can save them.

Ophie said:
Well, one thing you can do is combine Aerodactyl (Fossil) with Omastar (Majestic Dawn) while having Aggron ex (Crystal Guardians) out as the Active Pokémon. Once all of the opponent's Pokémon have been reduced to Basics through Omastar (as it devolves all of the opponent's Pokémon each time it's brought into play) and Aggron ex becomes the Active (which leaves Basic Pokémon unable to attack or use any Poké-Powers or Poké-Bodies), you can evolve Mysterious Fossil into Aerodactyl to prevent them from ever evolving again as long as Aerodactyl remains out.

With all three of these Pokémon out, your opponent is almost entirely powerless. Only Gust of Wind or Warp Point can save them.

Geez,this Omastar is wicked. I thought about using Aerodactyl with a promo Mew in a deck. Mew's attack, devolution beam would allow me to bring down my opponent's evolution, though at a much slower pace than with Omastar.

Have any of you guys checked out Ecogym from the Neo Genesis set? I would like to ear from you some good combos possible with this oldie and your new goodies.

Mew's Devolution Beam would work great too. Another substitute for Omastar would be Cradily (Legend Maker), whose "Devolution Wave" attack devolves as many of your opponent's Pokémon as you have React Energy cards attached to it.

Ecogym wouldn't be of much use in today's format, as very few cards are about discarding Energy from the other player. Ecogym was a great way to numb the blow of Energy Removal and the Hyper Beam/Whirlpool attacks on Dragonair (Base Set), Poliwrath (Base Set), and Golduck (Fossil), however, and I'd bet that Energy Removal is still rampant in Unlimited play. I can't really think of ways to combo with it, since it's reliant on what the opponent does, but it'll help to just have 1 of these in a deck to deal with Energy Removal while also putting Scott (Emerald or Power Keepers) in the deck. Scott is a Supporter card (introduced in Neo Genesis; it works much like Trainers, but you can only play one Supporter per turn) that lets you look for 3 in any combination of other Supporters and Stadium cards. You can use Scott to instantly get out Ecogym if you find your Energy cards in danger.

Ophie said:
Mew's Devolution Beam would work great too. Another substitute for Omastar would be Cradily (Legend Maker), whose "Devolution Wave" attack devolves as many of your opponent's Pokémon as you have React Energy cards attached to it.

Just thought I'd throw another option in there, there's always Ancient Technical Machine (Rock) (Ex Hidden Legends), which allows you devolve all of your opponent's Pokémon 1 Stage for 1 Energy.
Note, Technical Machines where introduced in the E-Reader Series. They can be attached to any Pokémon (there are restrictions for certain TM's) and give that Pokémon an extra attack that can be used. At the moment, at the end of the turn the TM was attached, it is discarded. However (and I may be wrong, so someone else may want to correct if so), I believe in Japan from DP5 onwards (and thus in the next English set probably), TM's are not discarded after being used once.
Also, for that Omastar/Aerodactyl/Aggron Ex combo, instead of Aggron Ex there are 2 other choices. They are Ninjask (Ex Deoxys) and Ursaring (Ex Unseen Forces). Both of those are Stage 1's rather than Stage 2's, but their Basic-stopping Poké-Bodies are slightly less powerful than Aggron Ex's.

As for people still playing with older cards, I still do occasionally, and am actually trying to make a couple of decks, a couple of which combine some older cards with newer ones (I've got one like that which kind of works, but isn't exactly what I want). Me and my brother (who use to play and collect Pokémon cards) managed to get the whole of Base, Jungle and Fossil, though we are missing a few (5 I think) cards from Team Rocket. I would try and complete the set, but I can't be bothered to collect anything now (apart from promos, including old ones).

Ophie - hate to be picky on such a small thing but, technically, Supporters where introduced in the e-Reader series, but Neo Genesis did have a couple of Supporter-type cards, normal trainers that, after being used, stopped you from playing any more trainers during your turn.

Back