TGC, Old-School style

Back in the early days, I had planned to make a deck based on Alakazam, Mr. Mime, and Tentacool. Mr. Mime stops any attack that does 20 or more damage. That damage could then be transferred to Tentacool via Alakazam, and Tentacool's "Cowardice" would remove the damage completely.

Ancient Technical Machine Rock would be great too, and it may be handier because it can be attached to any Pokémon.

Oh yeah, you're right about Expedition having them first, not Neo Genesis.

Ophie said:
Scott is a Supporter card (introduced in Neo Genesis; it works much like Trainers, but you can only play one Supporter per turn)...

Supporter cards were introduced in Expedition.

Ophie said:
Ecogym wouldn't be of much use in today's format, as very few cards are about discarding Energy from the other player. Ecogym was a great way to numb the blow of Energy Removal and the Hyper Beam/Whirlpool attacks on Dragonair (Base Set), Poliwrath (Base Set), and Golduck (Fossil), however, and I'd bet that Energy Removal is still rampant in Unlimited play. I can't really think of ways to combo with it, since it's reliant on what the opponent does, but it'll help to just have 1 of these in a deck to deal with Energy Removal while also putting Scott (Emerald or Power Keepers) in the deck. Scott is a Supporter card (introduced in Neo Genesis; it works much like Trainers, but you can only play one Supporter per turn) that lets you look for 3 in any combination of other Supporters and Stadium cards. You can use Scott to instantly get out Ecogym if you find your Energy cards in danger.
Wrong. Ecogym is activated whenever an attack, trainer or pokémon power discard an energy card attached to a pokemon. That means you don't have to rely on your opponent's action to use this effect. Any trainer cards needing you to discard an energy card attached to your pokemon in order to work (super potion, super energy retrieval (lol) and pokemon center come to my mind) would return to your hand instead. This is also a great card to use in a fire and/or lightning deck, since these types of cards tend to discard a lot in order to attack.

Another great thing about this card is that it only exclude colorless cards from returning to your hands. Dark, Metal, Rainbow energies and DRE could return to your hand when discarded :).

I've based an electric deck around this gym. I will post it soon to have your opinion about it.

I only collect the old cards really to make unlimited format decks... but i still collect my favorite pokemon from old sets. that would mean Gardevoir, any of the starter pokemon, and some legendaries, like mewtwo. mulligan mewtwo is a good unlimited format deck.

Mr.Gengar said:
Wrong. Ecogym is activated whenever an attack, trainer or pokémon power discard an energy card attached to a pokemon. That means you don't have to rely on your opponent's action to use this effect. Any trainer cards needing you to discard an energy card attached to your pokemon in order to work (super potion, super energy retrieval (lol) and pokemon center come to my mind) would return to your hand instead. This is also a great card to use in a fire and/or lightning deck, since these types of cards tend to discard a lot in order to attack.

Another great thing about this card is that it only exclude colorless cards from returning to your hands. Dark, Metal, Rainbow energies and DRE could return to your hand when discarded :).

I've based an electric deck around this gym. I will post it soon to have your opinion about it.

The card says, "Whenever an attack, Pokémon Power, or Trainer card discards another player's non-Colorless Energy from a Pokémon, return that Energy card to its owner's hand." That means Ecogym only takes effect when someone causes another player to discard Energy. It doesn't work on yourself.

Of course, we have basic Darkness and Metal Energy now, but those colors of decks can still benefit from Ecogym, as they'd more than likely have some special Darkness or special Metal Energy. They're still hard to retrieve from the discard pile.

Back