The Eternal Dragon Soul

Uralya

*ponders everything*
The Eternal Dragon Soul
the_soul_dew.png

Copyright Pokemon Heroes

Hello, Pokebeach. It's AoH here, finally done with One Night In Bangkok to the point where I'm no longer looking for changes. I finally became content with my latest team and am looking for any more fixes to it, so I'll be posting it now. This team has been in the making since January, and I can say that it has had a lengthy showcase on the Smogon server. I made it up to 1100 in my short laddering time, then started on a new team and new alt, but it has still been a great time.

I wanted to make use of CB Haxorus in some of my other teams, but this one has by far showcased it the best. Pairing CB Hax with an offensive and defensive core (however common they all are) in a weatherless team has been excitingly fun. There are some not so common Pokemon here along with everyday stars like Scizor and Rotom-W. This has to be my best laddering team, but I don't ladder often. I just practice on it. So, without further wait, I present The Eternal Dragon Soul.

Team Building Process

haxorus.png

Right off, it was my goal to start a furious offensive core off of the power of Haxorus. So, as such, I decided that she would be the first Pokemon to be on the team, but only as the wallbreaker (the sweeper will come, but much, much later). I'm surprised that I don't see many Haxorus at all when I ladder.

haxorus.png
rotom-wash.png
scizor.png

When I decided that the offensive core would assist in weakening walls for Haxorus to pick off on an Outrage spree, the Rotom-W & Scizor from my former Twin Towers team jumped my mind. Those two were inseparable until Jolteon came along, so I added them as well. Rotom-W gives Haxorus a good teammate in terms of type synergy and weakening or KOing Steel-types (specifically Balloontran) and revenge killing stuff like +1 Dragonite, Volcarona, and Tornadus (possibly Salamence). Scizor aids them by forming a VoltTurn core and taking out all Terrakion for me.

haxorus.png
rotom-wash.png
scizor.png
heatran.png

I decided that my offensive core was complete, so I moved onto defense. I noticed that Haxorus's Dragon weakness wasn't entirely covered up by a Scizor with little SDef EVs, so I added in a SDef Heatran to cushion the blows and provide my entry hazards. This behemoth is a phenomenal defensive pivot, further financing my insurance against Sun teams in the meanwhile. He also can tank a variety of moves that normal Pokemon can't.

haxorus.png
rotom-wash.png
scizor.png
heatran.png
jellicent.png

A physically defensive wall was in order next, but I needed to sponge my weakness to Rain teams with something other than a Scarftom, who's as frail as a bowling pin. Jellicent made his way on, as Gastrodon is built specially defensive. Jellicent's access to reliable recovery also gave him the nod over other bulky Waters such as Milotic, Vaporeon, or Quagsire.

haxorus.png
rotom-wash.png
scizor.png
heatran.png
jellicent.png
latios.png

Lastly, I required a flexible attacker. Since the majority of my offensive core was physical, I decided to add a special Dragon, one that could feed off of Haxorus's wallbreaking. Latios replied, "Me gusta." He jumped on after my success with the same variant under the Twin Towers/One Night in Bangkok team, one that had proven effective in a VoltTurn team too. I enjoy sweeping with the fastest Dragon in the game, but I miss my days with good ol' Hydreigon from way back when. Then again, firing Draco Meteors while healing is fun as well.

Team Analysis

pokemon__shiny_haxorus_by_mark331-d4ikyi2.jpg

Copyright mark331
Pulaski (Haxorus-F) @Choice Band
Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Mold Breaker
~Outrage
~Dual Chop
~Earthquake
~Brick Break
Like I said, CB Haxorus is a beast on offense. Equipped with the Band, this dinosaur can axe through many things with its 648 Attack. Jolly with max speed ensures beating Kyurems and tying with other unboosted Haxorus. Outrage is her main move, a real rampage that tears teams up after being softened by the VoltTurn core. Dual Chop acts as an alternative to Outrage should I not want a lock-in or to break Substitutes, though the Heat Wave-esque accuracy is off-putting. Earthquake is the move I use most after Outrage, used to provide type coverage and smack around Heatran and Scizor (without Balloons). Brick Break is the last option, really only used to break HO's screens and to hit Ferrothorn decently. It may hit Skarmory, but what paltry damage it does is Roosted off.

The EVs are self-explanatory, just maxing Attack while using Speed to outspeed all other unboosted Kyurems and Haxorus. The name comes from a Revolutionary War general.

Overall, Haxorus has for the most part been my most consistent member, often sweeping herself after the Steel-types are removed (possibly by herself!). I advise that more players try CB Haxorus out and/or prepare for it, as it has a combination of raw power and speed like very few others in OU.

Coverage:
Dragon-Scizor, Heatran
Ice-Rotom-W, Scizor, Heatran, Jellicent

lme15.png

Copyright Hiruki Fuchino
HAZOP Red (Rotom-W) @Choice Scarf
Modest
252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
Levitate
~Hydro Pump
~Volt Switch
~HP Ice
~Trick
Rotom-W is a real team player regardless of what set it rocks. In this case, a Scarftom was what I needed to take down Tornadus, Starmie, Terrakion and such that are too speedy for everyone else. This fast Rotom-W is also part of the main offensive core like it was in my former Twin Towers team. Hydro Pump hits everything that doesn't resist it fairly hard and is its only Water STAB, but I greatly dislike the 80% accuracy. Volt Switch is the move I use most often, the Electric STAB that shuffles Rotom-W back in to the deck while doing a healthy allotment of damage. HP Ice is used for Dragonite, Landorus, Gliscor and non-Scarf Salamence, but has little other use. Finally, Trick can be used to cripple special attackers' nemeses, Chansey, Blissey and Gastrodon, as well as swap with a Life Orb that could turn the washer into a fast attacker with variety. Either way, I don't find myself using it all that often.

I prefer a Modest nature that can still outspeed most +1 Dragonite whilst keeping as powerful as possible. Maxed Special Attack and Speed make it the revenge killer it is, and no HP investment gives it an odd HP number to round down Stealth Rock.

HAZOP Red has been a staple Rotom-W name on all of the teams including it, ever since it formed a core with Acrobat Gliscor on my SandVolc team from last summer.

Coverage:
Grass-Haxorus, Scizor, Heatran, Latios

shiny_scizor_by_jarv69-d49qqfv.png

Copyright jarv69
ChromeShot (Scizor-M) @Choice Band
Adamant
248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
Technician
~Bullet Punch
~Superpower
~U-turn
~Pursuit
Another mainstay from Twin Towers/One Night In Bangkok is CB Scizor, and I can justify why it's the most used version of the number one Pokemon in OU: it very rarely will disappoint. With CB and Technician, bad coverage turns into utility unmatched by most of the current metagame. Bullet Punch is the first staple for all Scizor, it seems (save Scarf, who may use Iron Head), a move that can sweep or pick off weakened foes or those who are vulnerable to Steel, such as Terrakion. It is the only priority on this team, so the move can be invaluable a portion of the time (MoxieMence says hello). U-turn is the crux of CB Scizor, a move that is actually decent offensively and functions like Rotom-W's Volt Switch, albeit on the physical side. It forces Scizor back in while denting the receiver of the assault before sending in the appropriate teammate, completing the VoltTurn core. Superpower is here to pound Heatran and Ferrothorn on the switch (as well as Terrakion and Tyranitar if it's required). Last, Pursuit can trap Gengar, Alakazam, Latias and Latios and KO them so that Scizor's teammates will be able to not worry about faster checks revenge killing them.

The 248 HP is standard, providing bulk while rounding down SR. 252 Attack is crucial to the power of Scizor, while the rest in Special Defense cushions special blows slightly.

ChromeShot is my standard name for all gold Scizor (mainly due to Bullet Punch), but if I want to, I can change it to regular as Deadpool. I'd like opinions on which to use primarily.

Coverage:
Fire-Haxorus, Rotom-W, Heatran, Jellicent, Latios

featuredou_heatran.jpg

Copyright H*lla H*lla Style (Yes, what a name)
Quadraxis (Heatran-M) @Leftovers
Calm
252 HP/4 SAtk/252 SDef
Flash Fire
~Lava Plume
~Toxic
~Protect
~Stealth Rock
Specially defensive Heatran is a wall that I've taken a look into, but I'm considering altering it to a Magma Storm Heatran instead, to trap and eliminate Choiced Pokemon that can't touch Heatran with their chosen move. But for now, SDef Heatran has proven its worth as my Stealth Rocker and main Draco Meteor/Hurricane absorber. Leftovers provides ample recovery, while the bulk further assists its walling capabilities. Lava Plume is the only offensive move, causing burns, hitting Fire-weak Pokemon hard and hurling the "Taunt Me, I Can't Attack" label into deep space. It works for Heatran like Scald for Jellicent. Protect is here to scout moves (ease prediction at the same time) and buy turns of Leftovers recovery and poison damage. Stealth Rock is another mainstay on any non-Choiced one, and seeing as it is my only hazard (setter), I can't remove it at all. The SR hurts any Pokemon switching in based on their weakness to Rock, keeping Volcarona, Salamence, Tornadus, Dragonite and VoltTurn users in check unless they can stay in, which may not be likely for some of them (especially some Volcs) with the next move(s). Toxic spreads status to anything that doesn't need a burn or has gargantuan amounts of HP (not Chansey or Blissey though, Natural Cure . . .), as it increases its lethality while the maimed Pokemon stays in.

I prefer a "Max SDef" Heatran to the 248/100/160 version, as Speed is not my concern; walling is. 252 HP keeps the bulk going high, 252 Special Defense increases Heatran's walling and tanking abilities to the limit (when used it conjunction with a Calm nature, which lowers the unneeded Attack stat), and four EVs in Special Attack puts a slight buffer on Lava Plume so it can do more decent damage.

Quadraxis is the name of a four-legged boss from Metroid, and I whittled the name down to Metagross and Heatran, whom it suits aptly. I still use it for both though, so if you see me on the Smogon/PokeBeach server, you'll most likely see a Quadraxis on my team should I play one like this.

Coverage:
Water-Haxorus, Rotom-W, Jellicent, Latios
Fighting-Jellicent, Latios
Ground-Rotom-W, Latios

male_jellicent_by_stelltje-d38xs28.png

Copyright stelltje
King Zora (Jellicent-M) @Leftovers
Bold
248 HP/176 Def/84 Spe
Water Absorb
~Scald
~Will-O-Wisp
~Taunt
~Recover
Jellicent is a mainstay on most of my other teams apart from One Night In Bangkok, a great utility wall and Bulky Water, apt to its name. With Leftovers factored in, this Jellicent can tank many hits on both sides and Recover it off. I enjoy the synergy it forms with a SDef Heatran too, as they cover most of their weaknesses and form a pseudo-Ferrocent/Iron Pringles core. Scald is the, again, offensive move, preventing Jellicent from being Taunt/set-up fodder while damaging most Pokemon and potentially crippling the Physically-based opponents. Will-O-Wisp is a good alternative to Scald if there are no Flash Fire-wielding Pokemon in sight or if I need a surefire burn to come. Now the crux of my Jellicent, Taunt is a great trick to incapacitate my greatest nemesis, Cloyster, as well as Hitmontop looking to Foresight, Metagross to Agility, Vaporeon to Wish or Rest (in rain), and SD Scizor so that I resist all of its unboosted moves bar Pursuit, and that can be Recover-stalled. I heavily enjoy the surprise in this set. Finally, Recover is the healing method of jellicent, and Skarmory can't Taunt it, surprisingly, if I up my Speed EVs, but I'll get to that. Jellicent thus becomes a reliable mixed wall.

The EVs may seem off, but rest assured, they are well-placed. This custom Jellicent runs 248 HP to reach a Leftovers number while rounding down SR and providing the bulk. At the cost of a bit of defensive bulk, I run 84 Speed EVs, reaching 177 to outspeed Cloyster and Foresight Hitmontop and, most importantly, disable Shell Smash and force Cloyster out, racking up SR damage. The rest are in Defense (176 EVs) to make it the mixed tank it is. I am currently testing out a spread of 248 HP/152 Def/108 Spe to win the speed war against 24 Speed Skarmory and tie with 28 Speed Skarmory, as well as expand my Taunting and burning options to Breloom, Machamp, and Metagross and Hitmontop that run Speed EVs. It is working though.

King Zora has been my only Jellicent name for several months now, parodying the king from Legend of Zelda (Toon Link series, mostly). I use this name all the time.

Coverage:
Grass-Haxorus, Scizor, Heatran, Latios
Electric-Haxorus, Latios
Ghost & Dark-Scizor, Heatran

Latios_by_aocom.jpg

Copyright aocom
Azurex (Latios-M) @Life Orb
Timid
4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Levitate
~Draco Meteor
~Surf
~Psyshock
~Recover
Enter the main sweeper of the team and focal part of most sweeps (bar Haxorus), Latios. This is the third and final holdover from TT/ONIB, again returning as the utility sweeper. With a Life Orb, he retains the ability to hit powerfully while retaining versatility and easing prediction. The recoil is canceled out by Recover, so no worries. Draco Meteor is once again Latios's most vicious attack, the ascent from the heavens that pounds just about every Pokemon into submission before the mighty dragon. The recoil of -2 Special Attack may scream that his reign has ended, but that's what switching is for. This STAB move is one that I have found should always be the primary option on many Pokemon over Dragon Pulse, save those that can't learn it or are named Substitute Latios and/or Substitute Hydreigon. Surf aids in type coverage and hits the switching-in Tyranitar hard despite the heightened Special Defense. It also nails Scizor and Heatran for me. Psyshock is also here to get Terrakion, Virizion, Conkeldurr, the pink clerics and Gastrodon as Latios's second STAB move. I am, however, considering Substitute over this move or Recover, the healing move of the set that increases Latios survivability quite decently. Substitute eases prediction, and depending on the moves I run, allow me to beat Scizor, Tyranitar, Tornadus and Scrafty, all top threats to Latios without it. Again, advice will be appreciated.

The EVs are standard sweeper fare, with max Special Attack and Speed crafting Latios into the fighter jet that he was born to be, running fast and striking hard. A Timid nature ensures the outspeeding of HP Fire Latios and Latias, Terrakion, Virizion, Mienshao, and all other sorts of Pokemon that a neutral nature couldn't.

Azurex is the name of my in-game non-shiny Latios, a name spawning from the Spanish for blue plus "Rex", a somewhat common dragon or dinosaur name.

Coverage:
Dragon-Scizor, Heatran
Ice-Rotom-W, Scizor, Heatran, Jellicent
Ghost & Dark-Scizor, Heatran
Bug-Scizor, Heatran, Jellicent

Threats
MoxieMence, when Scarfed, seems to be my biggest threat. I normally bait it into a move with one Pokemon, then wall it with another and force a switch. I may even switch Latios into Trick and grab a Scarf to outspeed it. But I cannot revenge kill this thing save with Scizor. Thank goodness it can be checked by another teammate and Stealth Rock.

Balloon Magnezone is a pain, but I can avoid it with A sound Rotom-W or Heatran hit.

Volcarona can be trouble once it Quiver Dances, but Rotom-W, Jellicent and Heatran are here. I just have to lure out its fourth move.

Dragonite with Dragon Dance are threats to any team, but I aim to force it into SR while Rotom-w is out, with HP Ice KOing it without Multiscale. +0 Dnites can take a Haxorus Outrage to the face even with Multiscale, and Dual Chop will also suffice, as both slashes go through it.

Mienshao and Terrakion are good threats to most teams, but Latios, Rotom-W, Scizor and Jellicent can take them.

Trick Room Reuniclus and Victini are major pains, but Heatran and Jellicent can Taunt them and take attacks while Recovering to stall out the Room. Reuniclus can also be 2HKOed by Scizor's BP.

Scarf Latios is a threat on par with MoxieMence, so I need to take it out with Scizor's BP or wall it with the right Pokemon, either Heatran or Jellicent. At least it is fairly weak without a Specs or Life Orb, so walling is not hard.

Last Look and Exportable

haxorus.png
heatran.png
rotom-wash.png
scizor.png
latios.png
jellicent.png

Pulaski (Haxorus) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Brick Break
- Earthquake

Quadraxis (Heatran) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

HAZOP Red (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]

ChromeShot (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Azurex (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Recover

King Zora (Jellicent) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Closing Statements

I have enjoyed making this team and trying to ladder it, but I feel like it can be a bit better. For starters, there are some moveset dilemmas, and what to do against Scarfed Dragons is a problem. Again, any advice would be welcome, and I'll give credit where it is due. Thank you for reading The Eternal Dragon Soul, a team designed to give Haxorus its spot in the limelight!

~AoH

RE: The Eternal Dragon Soul (OU)

I am currently deciding on Toxic or Roar for Heatran's last slot. Toxic spreads status to anything that doesn't need a burn or has gargantuan amounts of HP (not Chansey or Blissey though, Natural Cure . . .), as it increases its lethality while the maimed Pokemon stays in. On the other hand, Roar shuffles switch-ins back and forces Volcarona and Yanmega into checkmates if SR is up, racking up damage like no other (save Dragon Tail or Whirlwind users). Any advice on the decision would be appreciated.

Based on it having Protect, I feel that Toxic would be better. It compliments the move better than it compliments Roar. Roar would be better if your team had Spikes on it. Without it, the amount of damage you do against how much you take isn't worth it.

I've also been thinking about putting Spikes on the team to support the consideration, but I see your logic. I just don't know who I would take out. So, very well, there that goes. It just sounded good to me to keep Volcarona and Salamence at bay.

Thank you, KA.
~AoH

Half your team has Choice items, I'd recommend atleast changing Scizor to Swords Dance, considering most people always think Scizor will always be banded. Something along the lines of

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

Since most people think Scizor is Banded, you can usually get in a free/easy Swords Dance, and, seeing the rest of your team having counters and checks to Scizor's threats (Heatran/Washtom), you should be able to pick off Pokemon with ease.

Problem is, I need that U-turn. Maybe an excerpt from Motagua's Wreck and Destroy team would work?

Scizor @ Steel Plate
Adamant
244 HP/96 Atk/168 SDef
Technician
~Bullet Punch
~U-turn
~Swords Dance
~Roost

I haven't found myself using Superpower or Pursuit all that much, plus I'd get a DMeteor, Hurricane and Hydro Pump tanker here. I can also bluff a CB set early in the match and pull a SD sweep later. Thanks for the idea, Equinox.

Thoughts, please.

EDIT (to reply to Equinox): Will do, but I'm going for a run in a few minutes. I'll get the verdict in once I can actually do some substantial testing.
~AoH

Ehh, U-Turn and Swords Dance would seem a bit akward, especially when you have two Pokemon on your team who handles most of the stuff that can hamper Scizor's sweep, but it's all up to you, test it and see if it works.

Edit: (reply to AoH's edit) Alright, and if you need any testing help feel free to pm me

Pretty good team you got here. But I have to agree, too many choice Items. And Life Orb+HP EVs+Roost is a good combo IMO. You should try it.

I don't see all those speed EVs are helping you on Jellicent. Most Cloyster run max speed, so you won't be able to Taunt them until after they Shell Smash, and you're probably better off Will-o-Wisping Cloyster. I would put 52 Speed EVs on Jellicent, hitting 159. This outspeeds 8 Spe SD Scizor, stopping it from using Swords Dance. Jellicent is your best switchin to Terrakion, so it needs to be physically bulky.

Other than all the choice items, that's really the only suggestion I can make for your team. You've built an excellent team AoH! =)

The EVs are mostly there for Skarmory, but twice I've run into a Cloyster I've outsped. Why, I don't know. Even then, Jellicent is bulky enough to where forty Defense EVs doesn't matter most of the time. It is still surprisingly bulky. Thank you for the comments, Bippa.

On the subject of Scizor, I tested a bit earlier, but I'm still undecided. SD Scizor has slowed my momentum down but has eliminated some of my MoxieMence weakness by hitting it with a +2 and LOed Bullet Punch. Motagua's SD-Uturn variant is better at momentum, tanking, and bluffing a CB, but it is less powerful. The original CB Scizor has just done what I consider to be balancing the other options out. I don't know yet.

~AoH

Scizor @ Leftovers
Adamant
244 HP/48 Atk/216 SDef
Technician
~Bullet Punch
~U-turn
~Swords Dance
~Roost

I don't exactly see what Steel Plate accomplishes for the SD/Uturn set aside from making the random non-SD Bullet Punches stronger. Life Orb would accomplish the same thing except allow you to hit U-turn harder as well. I realize it lets you bluff a Choice Band, but I feel something like Expert Belt would be better suited to that task than an item that randomly powers up 1 move on the full set. Leftovers would allow you to be a bit bulkier and survive longer. SD + U-turn is a great set that lets you hit hard while scouting your opponent. You could try Bug Bite, but that might slow your momentum down as you stated ealier.

U-Turn and BP don't hit most of the OU Pokemon for super effective damage so I feel that Steel Plate or maybe Insect Plate are better options.

Thanks for the support on putting in Motagua's Scizor. I'll try out the new EVs, but it's even weaker the last time I tested with it at first glance. Let's see if it can tank any more notable hits.

(I was wondering when you two would comment. Thanks.)

~AoH

Back