The Gaming Group - Play. Discuss. Learn.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
Welcome to The Gaming Group!

The book club where we discourage you taking extra time to read, because we're too busy playing games!
Join us every month as we play new games. Usually RPG, probably quite a few Pokemon ones, but suggest whatever you think would make for an interesting play-through!
The point of this group is to play different games that a majority of us have not played before, and discuss the game while playing here. We'll see who beats the game first, who finds the hidden events or easter eggs, and have fun sharing our experiences with one another.
if you'd like to join our discussion, join the group! You'll receive an alert whenever we start a new game so we can all start together!

Members:

• Keeper of Night
  • Brave Vesperia
  • Mr. Muffin
  • bbninjas
  • My Little Keldeo
  • SilverSilent
  • Athena
  • Bolt the Cat
  • Celever
  • Vracken

This month we're playing Chrono Trigger! Suggested by Brave Vesperia. You can PM me for appropriate links if you need help finding an Emulator or ROM.

...I have absolutely no idea what the game is about, or else I'd put some kind of description here. As your progress, share your thoughts with us!
More to be added as I play the game myself.

Last edited:
I love Reborn!

So far I'm 2 badges in. I started with Totodile, who is Adamant and has Sheer Force.

My team right now is Croconaw, Slugma, Pidgeotto, Swirlix, Meowth and Swadloon. I'll probably take Swadloon out soon though when I find something better.

I just got the second badge, now I'm wandering through a forest.
My team:
Tetrodotoxin - Trubbish (shiny) 19
Cherubavium - Cherrim 27
Gallustion - Combusken 30
Fayremuzica - Jigglypuff 20
Raicrachyuru - Electrike 20
Scrotiptera - Noibat 13

Really loving the increased shiny chances as well. Makes grinding a bit more exciting.

Ugh....

Sign me up....

I also what is the time I need to beat this by?

When the first week of November rolls around, we'll see where everybody is at and set a date for discussion of the next game to begin. Ideally games should only last a month.
Once we get into a routine, we can have more concrete dates. But as this is the first one, we'll just ease into it.
The game isn't quite complete either. So we won't worry too much about actually beating the game. Perhaps we can come back to it in the future when more content is released.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'll join, mainly cause I should game more.

Anyways, I've gotten my 1st badge and currently have the following on my team:

Grovyle
Shiny Mightyena
Shiny Espurr
Trubbish
Swirlix
Zigzagoon

Great game. I'll join this little club of yours. I have three badges now. WARNING.... MAJOR HEARTRENDING SCENES AHEAD....

Anyway....

Flammie (Charmeleon) Level 31
Lune (Nidoking) Level 31
Undine (Seel) Level 31
Nala (Luxray) Level 32
Artemis (Meowstic) Level 30
Storm (Pidgetto) Level 30

Fine fine, I'll join and do this I suppose, but don't get mad when I quickly catch up and surpass you all :p

Oh hey, this looks fun! I'd be tempted to join, but I'm having some ongoing problems with my computer. I might poke back in here if I see anything interesting that doesn't require a download.

Just made it past the third gym. It's a whopper. While grinding I ran into (and unnecessarily caught) three shiny Fearow, which had me thinking: With the majorly increased shiny chance, who can catch the most shiny Pokemon before the end of the game? I'm really curious. Have you caught any shinies so far? Do you use them on your team, or keep them for sheer coolness factor?
I have run into two other shinies this game, a Trubbish that is a part of my team, and a Pidove that the Trubbish landed a crit on and KO'd.

Oh hey, this looks fun! I'd be tempted to join, but I'm having some ongoing problems with my computer. I might poke back in here if I see anything interesting that doesn't require a download.
I'm in the same boat as Mora here. If you've got games that don't require downloads, I'm game :)

Just made it past the third gym. It's a whopper. While grinding I ran into (and unnecessarily caught) three shiny Fearow, which had me thinking: With the majorly increased shiny chance, who can catch the most shiny Pokemon before the end of the game? I'm really curious. Have you caught any shinies so far? Do you use them on your team, or keep them for sheer coolness factor?
I have run into two other shinies this game, a Trubbish that is a part of my team, and a Pidove that the Trubbish landed a crit on and KO'd.

I've caught a Shiny Mightyena, Emolga, Mightyena, Purrloin and Phanphy, and if I recall correctly, I've seen a shiny Hoothoot and Trubbish. I'm using Mightyena on me team cause you insisted, while Emolga is my ticket through the third gym (imo).

For Shinies, I have a Purrloin in my box and I also caught a black Meowth! I like how they have recolors as well.

I'm in the same boat as Mora here. If you've got games that don't require downloads, I'm game :)
That would really be up to other members. If there were a game that we all happened to own copies of, we may play them. Otherwise, emulators (and similar downloadable games like this Reborn) are an easy and free way to keep us all on the same page.

Last edited:
I just caught a shiny Sandshrew! It's custom sprite is absolutely BEAUTIFUL:
YYVsors.png

Also, I have beaten 4 gyms now. ...Right after the 3rd the story goes way dark, it seems, so I won't spoil it just yet. But my team at the moment:

Tetrodotoxin - Trubbish* 35
Cherubavium - Cherrim 34
Gallustion - Blazekin 36
Atriosuniae - Grumpig 35
Raicrachyuru - Manectric 33
Cingpodidae - Sandshrew* 22

I was really glad to come across a Spoink event, having decided not to use Meowstic just because it seemed like everybody else was using it, and he's been doing fantastically since evolving. Found a TwistedSpoon at one point, which helps as well. He also now has Thick Fat, since I found him with Own Tempo I used an Ability Capsule on him.
Everybody is right on the limit for where I'm at in the game. Before beating the 4th gym your Pokemon will only obey up to 35, and Blazekin had to eat a few Common Candies to keep his level down so he'd be usable in the gym. But now that I can safely pass that cap, I'll be grinding a bit for a Garbodor before moving on, and hopefully give Sandshrew a few levels as well.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late, but I may give this a go starting on Monday or so.

I found a Gothita recently, and since Gothitelle is so much cooler than Meowistic, I think I'm gonna ditch Meowistic. That said, I'll probably use Meowistic at the fourth gym because, at this point, it is more powerful.

I found a Gothita recently, and since Gothitelle is so much cooler than Meowistic, I think I'm gonna ditch Meowistic. That said, I'll probably use Meowistic at the fourth gym because, at this point, it is more powerful.
The 4th gym is Bug, fair warning. I don't recommend any Psychic types.

The 4th Gym actually took me a few tries, I wouldn't take it lightly! :p What really helps though is if you have any Fire Types that know moves that can set the forest on fire. Her Pokémon that touch the ground (as in, not part Flying or have Levitate) take lots of damage from it in between turns. Personally, I used Slugma with Flame Burst.

The fifth gym is even harder! Thr game really starts to difficulty spike after the third gym. The fifth gym is ghost type, and makes heavy use of electric moves as well. He opens with Gengar, which can easy sweep an unprofessional team. Prankster Meowstic with dual screens helps a lot. I wouldn't have won without it. His Chandelure is a doozy too, as is Doublade if you don't one shot it.

Back