Discussion The garchomp disease that is ....

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
So. With st louis regionals being first bug event that ultra prism is legal . I didn't see garchomp being as big as im seeing it online atm.(yes i know online is very different them real life play..most of time.) At least til may when it gets fighting typing.
I planned on using one of 3 decks. Metal deck , exe grass deck, or my rogue deck usibg toxapex and raichu to paralize. So far topapex vs garchomp doesnt work well at all. Due to lucario ability to grab a switch, escape rope, skateboard or guzma.
Also seems my metal deck ive been using and did a update to ultra prism isn't working well either. Have not played tested my 3rd deck yet for new set.
But main question is does anyone see garchomp being played alot? If so what would be a good deck to counter it? But not fall easly to every other main metas?
I thought about garb deck with silvally?

I'll agree with what Andrew Mahone said on his video on the top 10 cards on Ultra Prism from Derium's Competitive Pokemon, and say that decks like Garchomp and Empoleon are gonna be tier 3. Don't get me wrong, 230 damage with Choice Band and Cynthia played is monstrous damage and OHKOs anything that isn't Decidueye-GX or Metagross-GX, and Lucario is the long-lost and legendary Quick Search Pidgeot reborn into the standard format. However, the deck doesn't have easy access to Guzma, a card that almost all the time ends games and pretty much every deck uses it as at least a 3-of. Sure, you can play Guzma in Garchomp and it might even benefit the fighting Garchomp from Breakpoint to get a chance to snipe a Zoroark-GX, but that means you can't play Cynthia to do the extra damage, leaving the Garchomp from Ultra Prism to only do 130 damage with it's second attack. Also, you need to have the Garchomp out on the board in order for Lucario to work. It's great when you have Garchomp out already, but initially, you may not get out Garchomp on the turn you desire.

Also, it takes basically 2 energy attachments. Not really an optimal way to speed up the energy, even if you used BKP Garchomp's Turbo Assault to get the energy onto ULP Garchomp, it's basically the same thing as attaching the energy manually to ULP Garchomp. Anything that takes 2 energy attachments, notably those with DCE, can be easily slowed down and controlled by running 1 or 2 enhanced hammers to keep it not charged. And for the Guzma issue, I guess you can run Lycanroc-GX but by that point I think it's better off to run Buzzwole-GX with it since the deck becomes less of a "prize-1" deck.

Overall, I don't see Garchomp played a lot and if it did and needed a counter, I'd say you can just slow it down with enhanced hammers and using Guzma on the Garchomp before it fully evolves.

Garbodor and Sivally together? I don't know, seems counter-productive to lock Silvally's own ability as well as not having more basic pokemon to use Silvally's ability on.

That's just my 2 cents though, personally.

Id use silvally just to be able to hit weakness alot and decent damage. Wouldnt use it for free retreat on basics. But inly probe be field blowing the item tools. Also item tools taking up alot of the deck. Thought maybe going volc deck instead

the 2 attachments is what kills the deck even if you manage to get the 2 turn garchomp knock out its foolish to believe you will not be knocked out the next turn at which point you will have no energy on the board and will whiff a meaningful attack which is often the cause of a loss. couple that with enhcaned hammer and its very difficult to keep up the pace. mayb when the fighting garchomp comes out you could use carbink break (though you can now but only target a fighting gible/gabite) but Carbink,garchomp,lucario,lele is allot of pokemon to have

I have to second the 2 energy attach problem. I played a Drampa/Salazzle deck when BUS dropped that was pretty good (got me top 8 at two League Cups) because it could hit 180-210 on turn 2 (Po Town, Hot Poison, Choice Band). But both Drampa GX and Salazzle GX need 2 attaches for their big damage so if I missed an energy attach for the turn or my set up pokemon got KO'ed before I had anymore energy down it was a massive uphill battle from there to try and catch up

Cynthia.dek at least has the advantage of being predominately 1 prizers which can afford a turn or two of feeding chumps for time but it's still not a good position to be in.

Back