BW/BW2 The Liberty Pass and 3DS - What to do?

Juusuhako

Aspiring Trainer
I've never owned a DS-console, but im planning on investing in one. Since 3DS is just around the corner im gonna wait for its release. I've grew up with Pokemon and is planning on getting Black/White.

Now, about that Liberty Pass which only is available till somewhere in April... Is it possible to download this pass on someone elses DS, transfer it to PC and transfer it to my own 3DS, whenever I get it?

Since I've never had a DS-console, I dont know if downloadable content is transferable, or if it sticks to the specific console which downloaded it.

I hope I asked in the right forum! Thank you.

...so people without a DS console, who is waiting for the 3DS is just gonna have to live without the pass?

The pass is still running until after the 3DS launch. The 3DS is released March 27, and the event for the Liberty Pass ends April 16 so you have plenty of time

You need a DS to download it during the timeframe that the offer is allowed. No DS, no download. It's worked that way for a long while now. Your best bet is probably borrowing someone's DS I suppose.

dmaster out.

#dmaster
That's what I asked, if it is possible to borrow a DS, download the Pass and transfer it to another DS.

#Darkvoid57+#slickmario
Sorry, didn't know it released already this month. Is that globally? (EU specifically!)

The Event can't transfer from DS to DS. It's game specific. You need a copy of B/W and a DS to put it in and it downloads to the game itself.

dmaster out.

Juusuhako said:
Sorry, didn't know it released already this month. Is that globally? (EU specifically!)
In the U.S., the Liberty Pass event started on the 6th, and ends on the 10th of April.

In Europe, it started on the 4th, and it apparently ends on the 22nd of April, at least according to Serebii.

#slickmario
I was, but good to know it lasts longer in EU. I live in Denmark, buying my 3DS in UK wouldn't make a difference, would it? I mean, were both using PAL-format, and I assume you can change the system language, right? I just dont wanna buy a game in Denmark and not being able to play it on it cause it was bought in UK.

@Juusuhako what you can do is buy Black or White, borrow a DS download the Liberty Pass and then when you get your 3DS play Black or White on it. You'll have the Liberty Pass because it is saved onto the game card, not the DS

You see... I did not know that, I thought the Pass was saved onto the console, not the game card. Thank you!!! :)

Anyones got an input regarding buying the DS in UK?

I've never bought consoles and games in different countries, but I would bet money that a PAL 3DS will be natively compatible with PAL DS games. And even if they're not, it has already been proven that the 3DS doesn't region-lock DS games, only 3DS games (one could argue that that doesn't apply to DS games with DSi features, but Black and White are exceptions to that).

In short, yes, everything will work fine. :) However, I'm not quite sure if you can change the system language of the 3DS, but that won't make a difference with game compatibility.

Just wanted everyone to know you can download the Pokemon Liberty Pass using the 3DS (I successfully did it). However, you have to use the "Nintendo DS Connections" to set up your internet connection. This also means you MUST use WEP wireless security and not WPA.

To setup the Nintendo DS Connections on the 3DS, go to Home, then to System Settings, then to Internet Settings, then select Nintendo DS Connections, then Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings, then setup and test one of the 3 connection settings. Enter all the required info. After you enter the SSID, WEP key, IP address, don't forget to scroll down to get the Subnet Mask, Gateway, etc.

I normally use WPA so I had to temporarily set up my router to use WEP to download the Liberty Pass via WEP. Then I reset my router back to WPA. Note: Anytime you want to play a DS On-line game on the 3DS you will have to set your router wireless security to WEP.

The 3DS supports WPA but only if you use 3DS or DSi games. If you use a DS game (like Pokemon White or Black) you MUST use WEP.

Info at Nintendo

After you go to the above link then click on "Work with WEP and WPA Security" under Get Connected.

EagleEye said:
Just wanted everyone to know you can download the Pokemon Liberty Pass using the 3DS (I successfully did it). However, you have to use the "Nintendo DS Connections" to set up your internet connection. This also means you MUST use WEP wireless security and not WPA.

To setup the Nintendo DS Connections on the 3DS, go to Home, then to System Settings, then to Internet Settings, then select Nintendo DS Connections, then Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection Settings, then setup and test one of the 3 connection settings. Enter all the required info. After you enter the SSID, WEP key, IP address, don't forget to scroll down to get the Subnet Mask, Gateway, etc.

I normally use WPA so I had to temporarily set up my router to use WEP to download the Liberty Pass via WEP. Then I reset my router back to WPA. Note: Anytime you want to play a DS On-line game on the 3DS you will have to set your router wireless security to WEP.

The 3DS supports WPA but only if you use 3DS or DSi games. If you use a DS game (like Pokemon White or Black) you MUST use WEP.

Info at Nintendo

After you go to the above link then click on "Work with WEP and WPA Security" under Get Connected.

#EagleEye
You've been smoking pot? When you turn on your 3DS the first time it takes you through a setup wizard. When getting to the setup for WiFi, you simply choose your connection on the list of available connections (assuming you live in a place with several wireless connections), and then your done, bam, end of story. WEP and WPA? There's none of that technical stuff when setting it up.

In Pokemon, you simply go to Receive Gift and choose Get Via Nintendo WFC and it downloads the pass, and you just have to pick it up in the game. There's even a small step-by-step foldout paper along in the game.

God knows what you've been doing on your 3DS since you had to go through all that.

EagleEye said:

Not entirely true. One would assume, but I and probably others have personally confirmed that they work with WPA for some reason, probably because they have DSi features. I'm not sure of what you are saying when you say DS connections, though. You mean that that button only lets you connect with WEP, not through WPA through Advanced Setup or something, like on the DSi? You definitely have to set your router to WEP when doing anything 4th Gen online, though.

Juusuhako said:
WEP and WPA? There's none of that technical stuff when setting it up.

If you follow the setup wizard, then no. But if you decide to fiddle with DS games online, WEP and WPA come into play a lot. I personally have my WEP and WPA connections all set up on every machine I own. Then when I switch the router, everything works without any additional steps.

Back