Writing The nameless story

Dork Void

#OCCUPYALLTHINGS
Explanation for the title: I'm awful at titles. Feel free to suggest one in the comments below.

Anyway, I finally worked up the courage to post one of the countless chapters ones that I have as saved drafted on Pokebeach. Its rated PG-13 because there is some violence, but its not that bad (no death scenes or anything).

Bent low, a boy with long, dusty blond hair crawled slowly through the undergrowth. The long grass tickled his belly, forcing him to muster all of his self-control to creep silently forward. A strong breeze gusted through the grass and he lay flat, letting it pass over him. When it stopped, the boy resumed his seemingly infinitely slow movement forwards. At last, he reached the end of the grass and saw before him a clearing and a gray and black pup lying on its back, basking in the sun. With a snarl, the boy pounced on the pup, and with a yip the pup rolled over and pinned the boy down. They tussled like this for several minutes, then sat up abruptly, Pokemon and human panting. The boy smiled suddenly and with a yip the Poochyena jumped on him again and they play-fought for a few more minutes. This went on for nearly half an hour, then the boy lay down on his back and the Poochyena stood over him triumphantly, barking to show its satisfaction.

Staring towards the sun, the boy decided that it was getting late. He sat up abruptly and turned toward the forest. The Poochyena followed his gaze, then the friends got up and bounded through the undergrowth simultaneously. They both knew how far the sounds of them tramping through the grass would carry but were not afraid; this was their territory and they were not afraid to rub it in. The trees around them blurred into a streak of green and brown. The early morning dew glistened, the sky shone a benevolent blue, and the sun's fervor gave them warmth.

As they entered a larger clearing the Poochyena barked thrice and some Mightyena turned to see the arrivals. Exhausted from their run through the forest, the Poochyena and boy lay down to sleep. It was approaching that time of day when the sun's beating fury would force the thick-furred Mightyena to find some shade and rest as well; otherwise they risked overheating and dehydration.

* * *​

A web of green hung far overhead. Stupefied by having just escaped the clutches of sleep, the boy lay staring upwards for several minutes. Finally a thought crossed his head: What had woken him up? He blinked once, sniffed, and suddenly was overwhelmed. Staggering, he sat up and there it was again; the acrid smell of smoke. By living with the pack, he had learned to hone his sense of smell. It was nowhere near that of the dark Pokemon, but it was good enough that he could tell where the smell was coming from.

He dashed through the burning trees. His nostrils filled with the smell of acrid smoke and he choked on the gray soot. A tree creaked and crashed into the forest behind him, sending arcs of smoke spiraling into the sky. At last, the boy rounded a bend and saw at the edge of the forest a massive red and yellow Pokemon whose body seemed to be made of fire and whose hands seemed to be cannons. Yelling, he raced forward and punched the Magmortar in the face, and at once his hand turned red and burned. He turned and saw a man dressed in red and black with a symbol on his hat that depicted a black x over a Pikachu. The boy turned and charged at the man, tackling him and punching him in the face repeatedly with his good hand. The man tried to command his Magmortar but the boy punched the man's mouth and all that came out was a trickle of blood. The man reached onto his belt and managed to touch the release button on one of his Pokeballs and the boy was flung backwards in a flash of white light. When the boy's vision cleared, a yellow and blue wolf was standing over him with an aura of electricity surrounding it. The Manectric opened its mouth and the electricity flowed into an orb in front of it. The Manectric then roared and a burst of energy slammed into the boy, flinging him onto the ground and scalding the grass he lay in.

The man slowly got up and moaned from the pain. He called back both of his Pokemon and awkwardly trotted away, leaving an inferno to ravage the forest and death to take the boy. When the police arrived they might find some DNA samples, but at that point he didn't care-it wasn't like he was going to show up in any of their records anyway.

* * *​

Amazingly, he had survived. The boy awoke once to see a swarm of gray pass before his vision; then he passed out. It went on like this for several days, maybe longer, he had no clue; at last he was aware of a faint babble of noise. Every time he woke up the noises were more and more distinct, then he was finally able to open his eyes. His eyes, unused to seeing, registered little but specs of light, but after a few seconds his vision cleared a bit and he could hear the clear babble of noises. He seemed to be laying down and before him were several creatures with strangely pinkish skin and smooth white fur. The babble of noises came again, this time more distinct than ever, and the boy could tell it was the creatures in white who were making the noises. Something about the noises seemed nostalgic to him, and brought him a feeling of comfort. He drifted off again.

* * *​

Slowly but surely the boy had relearned the human language. He was called Selvaggio by them, they said it had something to do with the wild and he didn't question them further about it. Eventually, he had been able to leave the hospital, and as he walked down the streets he saw on a large screen news that brought back jarring memories.

His forest was not the only one to go. Forest fires had been destroying habitats for Pokemon all over the region. Finally, the people has suspected that it was terrorist activity and large forces of police and Pokemon rangers were assigned to guard the habitats left. As soon as he heard it Selvaggio raced for the nearest forest. He was denied entry by the guards but hung around for many days attempting to get in. Eventually, he decided that he was not going to get in and left. For a long time, he journeyed around the region, training with any wild Pokemon he found, preparing for his revenge; the confrontation with the man who had destroyed his home and his family.

After a time, Selvaggio came across a small village and stopped by. What he heard devastated him. The people had begun to forget what threatened the Pokemon habitats and became sick of spending taxes to pay rangers who sat around a forest and chatted all day. To increase their popularity with the people in hopes that they would be reelected, the government had done as the people asked and removed the Pokemon rangers. The last of them left the habitats just a week before and the following day the Pokemon habitats burned to the ground. Upon hearing this Selvaggio let out an unearthly howl that seemed to be a mixture of a roar of fury and a moaning of intense pain. Still emitting this strange noise, he ran for the wilderness and was never seen again.

* * *​

An older boy wearing a cloak of fur smeared with berry juice to represent the coloration of a Mightyena looked up at the building with a massive symbol of a black x covering a Pikachu. Memories flooded through him, and left abruptly. Fury blanked out his brain; the desire for revenge covered up his heart. He punched the glass window and it shattered into infinitesimal pieces.

Its appoximately 1300 words.

You'll notice that although it starts out detailed, towards the middle it becomes really vague. This is intentional because I know that I have a hard time finding the motivation to read/write stories with long, boring parts and since this is more of an introduction than a chapter 1 and I don't want to turn people away so I described the "backstory" in as few words as I could.. The next chapter, which I've already begun to work on, should hopefully have a bit more action. So, please comment on how you liked it, and what you would fix. Be brutal on critiquing my story because I have no feelings I want to improve my writing skills as much as possible.

Well, it's pretty good. What I don't like though is that you're using waaaay to many metaphors in it. Just use a few less of them. This seems interesting so far. I 'll try to read the next chapter when you post it. I'd give this chapter 8.0 out of 10.0.

Please refrain from using number ratings in the future.~Apollo

Too many metaphors lol.

Well, since you've showed interest in continuing, I'll comment on what you have here first. You commented on getting bored halfway through the intro because it's "boring." Avoid getting that mindset as much as you can. Writers will inevitably start to feel weak at parts of their story, be it the opening, the middle, or (the rarest case) at the end. It's possible to push on, but preventing it from happening often is the best case.

One method you could have used was to start in the present time and then incorporate the backstory into it. This way, you could get introductions and setting done while going for some action that would hopefully keep you more motivated.

Your writing is more or less solid, and commenting on plot would most likely be more trouble than its worth. Mechanics and general syntactical choice in this story, however, could use improvement. It's all a bunch of different tidbits, so bear with me here.

You have several cases of using compound sentences with no commas used to separate the clauses. Some examples:
A strong breeze gusted through the grass[,] and he lay flat, letting it pass over him.
The boy smiled suddenly[,] and with a yip[,] the Poochyena jumped on him again[,] and they play-fought for a few more minutes.
Staggering, he sat up[,] and there it was again[:] the acrid smell of smoke. (When you're identifying or clarifying something, use the colon instead.)
His nostrils filled with the smell of acrid smoke[,] and he choked on the gray soot.

On paragraph five, you start describing Pokémon by their general traits. Such is not exactly necessary when writing to an audience that knows about Pokémon in general. If you were to introduce Pokémon by description here, point out something that would make them stand out from the normal depiction of their species.

When you're talking about the "black x covering a Pikachu," use the upper case version of the letter.

Just something to point out: While not exactly a writing thing, be careful of handling your facts. You made an interesting mistake with describing either the time or actions.
The boy smiled suddenly and with a yip the Poochyena jumped on him again and they play-fought for a few more minutes. This went on for nearly half an hour...

Umm, yeah, I actually don't have that much to say, mostly because I never was much for revenge stories, but I'll definitely keep a tab on this.

Happy Writing,

~Zyflair

Thanks for the rate, Zyflair.

/me feels lonely posting on this thread.

Well, the chapter I had in mind was a bit shorter than I wanted, so it took me a bit longer to lengthen it. Well, I've finished it now, so here it is:

The boy leapt through the broken window and quickly realized that he was in an arena of some kind. There was a large pit of water and beyond that a stretch of land with two Cacturne on it. Seeing the invader, both Cacturne used Bullet Seed, sending sharp projectiles at Selvaggio at blinding speeds. He ran in a zigzag formation towards the water, the seeds impacting at his heels. He ran forward and leapt over the pit of water, grabbing onto a ledge in front of the Cacturne on the other side. With an amazing amount of upper-body strength, Selvaggio flipped himself upside down and kicked the Cacturne in the face, then back flipped onto dry land. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the second Cacturne throw something and he leapt, causing the Seed Bomb exploded behind him, flinging him at the Cacturne's feet. The Cacturne jabbed downwards with Needle Arm and Selvaggio raised his hand, grabbing the Cacturne's fist. Oblivious to the needles sticking into his hand, Selvaggio rose, swinging his leg around in a sweep kick as he did so. As the Cacturne began to fall, Selvaggio grabbed it with his other hand and flipped the Pokemon upside down, then slammed its head into the ground.

By this point he was aware of a loud noise and flashing red alarms. Sleek, camouflaged doors opened and people ran in, throwing Pokeballs. There was a bright flash on light and two Gyarados were staring at Selvaggio from the water. One opened its mouth and roared, causing orange energy to materialize in front of its mouth. It released the Hyper Beam attack and swept the wave of pure energy back and forth. Selvaggio leapt in a desperate attempt to dodge and barely made it over the beam of energy, but didn't anticipate the second Gyarados's attack. The second Gyarados used Crunch, leaping out of the air right into Selvaggio's trajectory. Thinking quickly, Selvaggio performed a triple somersault, slowing his descent just enough to avoid the deadly fangs. Instead, the Gyarados ended up headbutting him. With a loud crack, he slammed into the wall and slowly, his body peeled itself off of the wall and dropped onto the ground with a dull thud.

* * *​

Selvaggio awoke to the icy wetness of a bucket of cold water being thrown on him. Startled and shivering, he jolted awoke and looked around, seeing himself in a small cell. It appeared to be square shaped. Three of the walls were seamless brick and the other was built of shiny black bars spaced about half a foot apart from each other, and a door, also made of black bars, was in the middle of that wall. There was a large black X, probably made of the same material as the bars, latches over that entire door. Through the black bars he saw four men in the same uniform. They all wore hats with the same insignia. One of the men held a silver colored bucket with a bit of water still sloshing around in the bottom of it.

“Well, looks like that woke him up,” one of the men said with a grim smile. “Well then kid, what's your name?” he asked.

Selvaggio could barely hear him. His stomach ached and he felt as if most, if not all, of his ribs were broken. He felt dumb and his head felt dull and sleepy. As he regained more feeling, he discovered that he was freezing cold and sitting in a puddle of cold water. He tried to move away from the puddle by crawling but as soon as he moved he moaned piteously, the pain in his chest nearly unbearable. When he tried to speak his throat sputtered and wheezed, then he vomited water.

“Hmmm, this 'un don't look too good,” one of the men said. He had a crooked smile and many of his teeth were chipped away or missing completely. “Maybe a likkle shock therapy'll open his mouth a bit.” Grinning maliciously, he pressed a button on a Pokeball at his waist and an Electabuzz came out.

“Stop, you moron!” another man said, punching the one with the Electabuzz. “He's sitting in a puddle of water, and not doing so well as it is! You stand a chance of killing him, then what will we tell the boss, eh? Anyway, kid,” he said, turning to Selvaggio. “Your name's not that important. Who sent you here is important. So tell me kid, what are you doing trying to break into Team Exterminate's hideout?”

“Y-you killed my family.” Selvaggio said. He'd intended to shout in but was hard on breath and his throat felt as if several Beedrill had made their nest inside it.

“Noted,” The man sneered. “Who're you working with?” He demanded.

“Nobody.” Selvaggio muttered.

The man turned to his companions. “So, what now? Report to the boss and leave the boy here to rot?” The other men shrugged as if to say, “I guess so,” and the men turned and left.

Selvaggio stood on shaky legs. He looked around his cell and felt the walls, but discovered little that he didn't already know. The brick walls were hard and sturdy-he couldn't find even a peddle that wasn't wedged in too tight for him to yank out. Although there was enough room between the black bars for him to fit his hand through, it looked like his shoulder was wide enough to get stuck, so there was no way to escape. Selvaggio turned, defeated, and found that the puddle of water had spread. The entire floor of the cell was now coated in a thin layer of the freezing water. Selvaggio searched for a spot that wasn't wet, but to no avail. His weary legs gave out under him and he lay sprawled on the cold floor of the cell.

Time passed. Selvaggio wasn't sure how much, but it seemed to be only a few minutes, and he was fairly certain that it was too cold for him to have fallen asleep. “Get up!” A voiced hissed at him through the bars.

Moaning softly, Selvaggio rose and turned, hearing the key click in the lock and the latch being removed. The door swung open and he saw the three men who had questioned him before, beckoning. Selvaggio stumbled out of the cell and the man immediately grabbed his armpits. They dragged him through the labyrinth of corridors that was Team Exterminate's prison. They reached the stairway and began to climb. Selvaggio tried to keep track of how many staircases they pulled him up but quickly lost track due to weariness.

After a seemingly interminable amount of time, the staircases abruptly stopped. Selvaggio found himself standing on a narrow strip of land with walls two feet to either side of him, the stairway he had just climbed a foot behind him, and three feet in front of him was an impassive black door. One of the men knocked, and a gravelly, malicious voice responded, “Come in.” For the first time Selvaggio noticed the pale, frightened faces of the men and the way their hands shook and they tried to open the door. Finally, the door swung inwards and Selvaggio found himself thrust through it. He turned around and saw the door click behind him, and the men were gone. He turned again, fearfully towards the monster that he knew instinctively must be the leader of Team Exterminate.

There may be a few mistakes, since I wrote it up and posted it without looking it over as much as I usually do.

Don't worry, DV, I'm here for you.

Dark Void said:
The boy leapt through the broken window and quickly realized that he was in an arena of some kind. There was a large pit of water, and beyond that a stretch of land with two Cacturne on it. Seeing the invader, both Cacturne used Bullet Seed, sending sharp projectiles at Selvaggio at blinding speeds. He ran in a zigzag formation towards the water, the seeds impacting at his heels. He ran forward and leapt over the pit of water, grabbing onto a ledge in front of the Cacturne on the other side. With an amazing amount of upper-body strength, Selvaggio flipped himself upside down and kicked the Cacturne in the face, then back flipped onto dry land. Out of the corner of his eye he saw the second Cacturne throw something and he leapt, causing the Seed Bomb to explode behind him, flinging him at the Cacturne's feet. The Cacturne jabbed downwards with Needle Arm and Selvaggio raised his hand, grabbing the Cacturne's fist. Oblivious to the needles sticking into his hand, Selvaggio rose, swinging his leg around in a sweep kick as he did so. As the Cacturne began to fall, Selvaggio grabbed it with his other hand and flipped the Pokemon upside down, then slammed its head into the ground.

man that kid is strong

Anyway, I found it quite interesting for you to have a battle scene right in the beginning of the chapter. Did this just come to you, or did you have this planned out? I found it just a little awkward for Selvaggio to be fighting Cacturne (it's kind of opposite when Pokemon are the ones who should be fighting other Pokemon XP), but it was fine nonetheless. All that is left to say is that I feel bad for the Cacturne :[.

Dark Void said:
Selvaggio stood on shaky legs. He looked around his cell and felt the walls, but discovered little that he didn't already know. The brick walls were hard and sturdy; he couldn't find even a peddle that wasn't wedged in too tight for him to yank out. Although there was enough room between the black bars for him to fit his hand through, it looked like his shoulder was wide enough to get stuck, so there was no way to escape. Selvaggio turned, defeated, and found that the puddle of water had spread. The entire floor of the cell was now coated in a thin layer of the freezing water. Selvaggio searched for a spot that wasn't wet, but to no avail this needs rewording- try switching "to no avail" to the beginning of the sentence, and drop the but.. His weary legs gave out under him and he lay sprawled on the cold floor of the cell.

Poor kid. Well, anyway, I love the description here, and I can really feel like I'm there. Other than that rewording you want want to implement, but at the end of the paragraph, "lay" is in present tense. Was this intentional?

Well, that's all I can proofread to my full extent at the moment, but I think you're doing a fine job. Keep up the good work!

I have to admit that Chapter Two threw me for a loop or two. Right after you give an introduction to everything in Chapter One, you start out Chapter Two in medias res, something utterly bizzare (bizarre being nothing I've ever seen before). I seriously had to stop reading the first paragraph and go back to the first chapter to make sure I really wasn't forgetting anything. Because last time I heard of Selvaggio, he ran off into the wild. Now he's suddenly fighting against Pokémon in an unidentified building.

I don't know what you're thinking, but from my perspective, the best explanation I can come up with is that you didn't want to bother with anything until the two actually meet. If that were the case, it might have been better if you simply started with Chapter Two as the opening and then incorporate background from Chapter One as the story moves on. Because as it stands now, this story made a massive leap in time that stands unaccounted.

Onto mechanics, third paragraph has weak points in it:
Selvaggio awoke to the icy wetness of a bucket of cold water being thrown on him. Startled and shivering, he jolted awoke and looked around, seeing himself in a small cell.
[The use of the same word in consecutive sentences gets dull. Best you fix the second sentence with a completely different verb.]

It appeared to be square shaped.
[This could have been incorporated with the previous paragraph as "a small square cell."]

Three of the walls were seamless brick[,] and the other was built of shiny black bars spaced about half a foot apart from each other[. A] door, also made of black bars, was in the middle of that wall. There was a large black X, probably made of the same material as the bars, latches over that entire door.
[That last sentence reads "There was a large black X... latches over the entire door." I believe you mean "latched".]

Through the black bars he saw four men in the same uniform. They all wore hats with the same insignia. One of the men held a silver colored bucket with a bit of water still sloshing around in the bottom of it.
[I'm being picky here, but I'm sure Selvaggio is sitting/laying as he got to his feet later. In comparison to standing men, how could have he seen the bottom of the bucket? We're somewhat in limited third person view here, so stick with what Selvaggio can take note of.]

You also still are missing commas (you and MrGatr should average your comma uses, and maybe we'll get something close to perfect) concerning compound sentences, but I had already brushed through examples from Chapter One, so I'm not doing it again.

In any case, we already get to meet the supposed final boss of this story already? Wow. Bold with the plot, aren't you? Best of luck keeping the momentum at this rate, because this is going to be one interesting ride.

Happy Writing,

~Zyflair

Thanks for the fixes. Soon as I get a bit more time I'll try to fix them. And yeah, the first piece was more of a prologue than chapter 1. The end of the prologue was several years after the start of it, and chapter 1 picks up right where the prologue left off. It would probably make a bit more sense if that paragraph was in chapter 1, but I thought it was a better hook to post it sooner.

Took a while, though it is a bit longer than my previous ones (still only approximately 1730 words, so hardly the longest chapter ever, but its about 1.5 times as long as the other ones).

The leader of Team Exterminate was not what Selvaggio had suspected. He was somewhat short, probably a couple inches under 6 feet, and he seemed rather thin. He wore a black suit adorned with only a red X over the heart. However, Selvaggio's attention was drawn to the man's eyes. The irises were a pale and faded black. As Selvaggio stared into them he could have sworn he saw something flicker within them, but maybe it was his imagination.

“I believe you have something that belongs to me,” The man spoke. His voice was calm, quiet, and not harsh at all, as Selvaggio would have suspected.

“I-I don't think so,” Selvaggio replied, momentarily forgetting his hatred because the oddity of the scenario.

Another flicker in those eyes. “Yes....yes, yes you do. You have something that belongs to me. Something I want...no, something I need. Give it to me,” Despite the harsh command, the voice remained calm and rather emotionless.

“I have no clue what you're talking about,” Selvaggio told him. “I've never seen you before in my life. How could I possibly have something of yours?”

“You of all people should know exactly what I'm talking about.” Now the man's voice conveyed an icy rage.

“Just tell me what it is already,” Selvaggio said, his voice now thick with desperation, although he couldn't put his finger on exactly why.

“Stop being an ignorant fool. I know as well as you do what you are. I know what you have. I know what you can do. And now you've driven me to force.”

The desk that the man was seated at began to shake crazily. Selvaggio looked around quickly, thinking there was an earthquake, but nothing was moving but the desk. The man's fingernails snapped and razor-sharp claws extended from them. He grabbed wildly at the desk, but it cracked and shattered, flinging shards of wood across the room. Selvaggio ducked as a particularly sharp piece flew over his head. The man's sleeves ripped as black scythe-like blades protruded from his elbows. His skin ripped and flaked before dropping to the ground, revealing smooth black fur growing up to replace it. His head fell away to reveal a bigger one with horns slowly protruding from them. His cornea were now pitch black while the irises shone with an iridescent gold while the pupils were blood red.

The creature lifted its hand and instinctively Selvaggio dove to the side. A beam of what seemed like pure energy shot over his head. Selvaggio turned and saw that the beam had incinerated not just the wall where it hit, but the air itself. Selvaggio saw that all of the wall near the beam had been turned to glass by sheer proximity to the energy. The air in the room rushed to fill in the gaping hole in the wall and Selvaggio found himself trapped in a small vacuum of that air. As he struggled to escape, the creature walked forward, palm outstretched toward Selvaggio's head. With a burst of energy, Selvaggio escaped the vacuum and raced toward the door. It was locked, but if he could lock the creature into attacking the door, Selvaggio could escape.

Selvaggio heard a rush of air and folded down into a ball, hoping the beam would fly above his head, but sharp claws grasped his neck. He found himself hoisted at least 7 feet in the air and realized that as the creature had moved toward him, black dragon-like wings were sprouting from its back.

Selvaggio could feel the pure evil, the malicious intent, seeping from the creature's mind and oozing into his own. Then, he felt a change. It was as if a force of purity and health was entering the thoughts, and yet it was somehow destructive. The creature howled and dropped Selvaggio, and Selvaggio heard a voice in his head. Go. Now. While he's distracted. Into the light! Selvaggio turned and saw a large sphere of white fire floating several feet above the floor. It was as if the floor and ceiling both craved the sphere, as planks of wood were peeling off of them towards the sphere. Selvaggio raced up the planks and leapt towards the sphere. As he touched it, a blinding white light was released and he vanished.

Now alone in the room, the creature relaxed and smiled. Phase 2 of his plan was now complete.

* * *​

When Selvaggio opened his eyes, they had to take a few seconds to adjust to the blinding light. When Selvaggio was able to look around his breath caught in his throat. He appeared to be in a large hall made completely of translucent crystals. A pure white light shone from every direction, which the crystals caught and reflected, bathing the entire hall in the shades of the rainbow. That combined with the lack of shadows gave the place a strange otherworldly effect.

Standing before Selvaggio was a creature about the size of the demonic one, but everything else about them was in utter contrast. Brilliant, sleek white fur coated the new creature's body. Each arm was supplemented with a three-nailed claw that shone so brightly that they hurt to look at. The creature's head was owl shaped and its eyes shone with a silver that conveyed endless wisdom. Most stunning of all, however, were the wings. They were shaded in pale blues and greens, but were surrounded by an odd gray aura that seemed to be twisting through space and time. Most odd of all, however, was that when you stared at the wings, they seemed to take up no space at all, as if they did not even exist in this dimension.

“What...where...how...” Selvaggio stuttered.

The answers to those simple questions are impossibly complicated, but allow me to try to explain things. Selvaggio heard the voice but didn't see the white creature's mouth move, and glanced around self-consciously for a second. Noting his confusion, the voice in his head continued. I'm speaking to you telepathically as it is...easier for me in this dimension. I am Renascentia, the goddess of rebirth. The being you just saw was pure destruction incarnate with power rivaling that of the gods. It has countless names in countless languages but its true name is Exscindo. Over time, it and I come into conflict, and eventually these conflicts manifest into an all out war. I intend to finish him off or good in the coming one, but our powers are too evenly matched. That is why I need your help.

“Me?!” Selvaggio exclaimed. “How could I possibly defeat something like that?”

Renascentia lifted a figure and beckoned for Selvaggio to follow. Wordlessly, she turned and headed down the hallway. Selvaggio moved to follow.

Although Selvaggio prided himself on above-average endurance he soon began to tire, even walking at a calm pace. His legs felt like lead and it seemed a monumental effort was required to keep his head above his shoulders. He stomach felt queasy and his muscles seemed to be weakening and shrinking. He felt hungry, realizing he hadn't eaten anything in quite some time. His eyelids felt like they held the weight of the world and they drooped noticeably. At last, once Selvaggio could bear it no longer, a voice in his head announced, We're here.

Selvaggio felt a new energy surge through him. The oppressive weight that had weighed him down before had lifted, revealing a sense of freedom and power. His mind cleared and his sluggish thoughts regained their purity. Instinctively, Selvaggio stepped past Renascentia. Before him an intricate pattern of three interlocking claws shone on the floor, and rising out of the center of the pattern was a golden hilt of a sword. Without hesitation, Selvaggio bent over and grabbed the hilt of the sword. However, as he went to remove it from the pattern, he felt a wave of energy buffeting him. He turned to Renascentia for confirmation, who nodded slowly. Turning back to the sword, Selvaggio fought his way through the waves of energy and grasped the hilt of the blade with both hands. The waves weakened in intensity for a second and Selvaggio grasped on that and yanked the sword free.

From the hole where the sword used to be, massive spirals of multicolored energy exploded outwards. Selvaggio was sent flying backwards by the force, maintaining his grip on the sword. He noticed that the blade seemed to be radiating a vibrant light. Suddenly, memories of another time flooded through his mind. Two celestial orbs of energy, one white, and one black, slammed into each other with monumental force. Pulsing blasts of energy radiated outward from the collision, obliterating all that they touched. A hazy figure, holding a blue and gold sword, lifting it skyward-

The visions ended abruptly as beams of light that Renascentia fired slammed into the sword and the sword seemed significantly less bright. The blade was blue, which stirred a memory deep within Selvaggio yet somewhere near the surface, then the memory was gone. Selvaggio realized that he was surrounded by golden pillars and a paved golden floor, yet below him the world spiraled endlessly.

“En garde.” The words lashed Selvaggio like a whip and he was unable to tell whether they were spoken aloud or telepathically. He spun and saw Renascentia pointing a long fencing saber at him. Her ever-moving wings seemed to stop and solidify for just a second and wind rushed through them, thrusting Renascentia forward and her saber at Selvaggio. Selvaggio twisted sideways on his hips and the saber sailed past him.

Selvaggio realized that the saber seemed noticeably longer now; although it extended past his side Renascentia was still out of range of his blade. Deciding to try to disarm her, Selvaggio slashed with his sword at the saber itself, intending to lop it in two. Before his amazed eyes, Renascentia tapped the saber twice and it curled around the hilt of Selvaggio's sword. With a flick of her wrist, Renascentia sent the sword flying from Selvaggio's grasp. As the sword clattered on the ground behind her, Renascentia tapped the hilt of the saber 3 times and it twisted the other way, encircling Selvaggio's neck.

With a sharp movement, Renascentia yanked the curled saber back and it sliced through Selvaggio's neck like a hot knife through butter.

I'm not going to confirm or deny very much about the end of this chapter, but do know that there is more to the story.

*sigh*
Well, where to begin...? Don't take this the wrong way, but this chapter seems somewhat sloppy. For now, I'm going to disregard the plot, since the principle of the suspension of disbelief will give your interesting twist on the story a chance to sort itself out. Unforunately, the mechanics of your writing just lacked oil. Big time.

Let us just start with the first paragraph:

The leader of Team Exterminate was what Selvaggio had suspected. He was somewhat short, probably a couple inches under 6 feet, and he saw rather thin. He wore a black suit adorned with only red X over the heart. However, Selvaggio's attention was drawn to the man's eyes. The irises were a pale and faded black. As Selvaggio stared into them he could have sworn he saw something flicker within them, but maybe it was his imagination.
"Saw" should be "seemed," and "only red" is missing the article "a" between it. Please refrain from using the numeric notation of simple numbers (with the exceptions of depicting time and whatnot). "Suspected" is an inferior word choice to "expected" (suspected means that you are under some impression about something, normally based on at least an experience. Expected looks forward to something, regardless of whether you have experienced the person/event).

Also, I'm not sure what you were basing this, but I don't see how "the leader of Team Exterminate was what Selvaggio" expected. Is there something that Selvaggio sees in villians that I don't? You even say that the protagonist found the scenario to be odd. He correctly guessed how the leader would be like but can't prepare himself to respond to said leader?

Moving along, impatient leader is impatient. Rather than making things black and white for Selvaggio, he just decides to obliterate him. o_o

Now, to this paragraph:

The creature lifted its hand and instinctively Selvaggio dove to the side. A beam of what seemed like pure energy but could very well have been antimatter shot over his head. Selvaggio turned and saw that the beam had incinerated not just the wall where it hit, but the air itself. Selvaggio saw that all of the wall near the beam had been turned to glass by sheer proximity to the energy. The air in the room rushed to fill in the gaping hole in the wall and Selvaggio found himself trapped in a small vacuum of that air. As he struggled to escape, the creature walked forward, palm outstretched toward Selvaggio's head. With a burst of energy, Selvaggio escaped the vacuum and raced toward the door. It was locked, but if he could lock the creature into attacking the door, Selvaggio could escape.
When depicting battle scenes be very careful not to step out of line and go for facts that are not significant. Logic is a powerful tool in writing out battles, but there can be such thing as too much info. For example, the opening "A beam of what seemed like pure energy but could very well have been antimatter" drags on and murders all pace in the story. Simply going with "A beam of pure energy shot over his head," is simple, gets the jobs done in only half the words. You'll leave out the mention of sheer strength of the beam this way, but no need to tell, as you move on to show it. I'm fine with seeing attacks that oblierate air, but the way you depicted it is awkward. After all, Selvaggio "saw" the attack "incinerated... the air itself." Air being transparent makes that statement quite unbelievable to the reader.

Even more baffling was that you go on to say that "Selvaggio found himself trapped in a small vacuum of that air." I presume you mean that the air rushing in to fill the vacuum was pushing Selvaggio towards the vaccum as well. I wouldn't call that "trapped" (actually, to be quite honest, I find the fact that the caused vacuum is large enough to prevent Selvaggio from moving away to be physically unlikely).

To the end of the paragraph: the door's locked from the outside? o_o

From that point on, we get the sudden transition as Selvaggio meets Renascentia, who proceeds to apparently behead him, but not enough of that scene has passed to give judgemenet. In the meantime, I suggest you reread the first half of the chapter and polish it up.

Happy Writing,

~Zyflair

Oh wow, I can't believe I missed all of that. I fixed the mistakes you mentioned and another I noticed; the "not what Selvaggio expected" got left out, which kinda changes the story a lot (sorry about that). As for the door, there are a few explanations, such as the bad guy could lock it with a button on his desk, or that it automatically locks when closed; but I felt that an explanation of that would be clunky and take away from the suspense. If there are any more mistakes left, I'd appreciate it if someone would let me know so I can fix them.

Back