The New Jumpluff?

Is Victini any good?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Decmaster

Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you.
bw-battle-deck-victini-victini.jpg

Yes. Upon first appearance, this card looks amazing. A fire energy and a colorless energy for 100 damage. That's pretty amazing. But, as the veteran Pokemon players we are, we know that there has to be some kind of catch, like, "Victini does 50 damage to itself." or some crazy drawback for an insane attack. Then, we read the text.

Victini said:
Victini – Fire – HP70
Basic Pokemon

[R][C] V-Generate: 100 damage. If you don’t have 5 Pokemon on your Bench, this attack fails.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

Well, what a little beast that is! It looks like we may have a new Jumpluff on our hands. Load up your bench with a few supporting cards, like a Uxie and a backup Victini and a tech or two, and you're ready to start devastating.

I can see a few weaknesses that this deck would have. Gyarados. Even though it might be rotated by the time we get Victini, we still have to see that it is a deck to watch out for. Same with Machamp. However, a simple tech or two would easily counter these decks.

This deck has a lot of upsides. It would completely devastate Jumpluff. It would be the one deck that has room for a heavy support line or tech line. It would be absolutely funny with Rescue Energy. Pokemon Catcher (see translation below) could make this deck a force to be reckoned with.

Expert Belt would be necessary in this deck. Victini's terrible HP is the one downside of Victini. Expert Belt would help with that, and also increase the damage output. I think Manectric would be necessary to prevent Garchomp C Lv.X snipes, even though there is no telling how long Manectric will be with us. It probably won't survive the rotation.

Well, that is what I have to say about Victini. A BEASTLY attack which leaves plenty of room for support or tech lines. Unfortunately, it's terrible HP may keep it from becoming meta. What do you think? Can Victini become a force to be reckoned with? Or is it just a victim of our hard-hitting meta, not being able to take a hit?

Discuss!

Pokemon Catcher said:
Pokemon Catcher
Trainer’s – Goods

Choose 1 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon, and switch it with his or her Active Pokemon.

You can use any number of Goods cards during your turn.

It depends on what our rotation is and when we get it. If the rotation keeps the hard hitting low-energy cost pokemon, Victini is over. But if there are the pokemon that do damage for decent energy cost when we get Victini, Victini has a chance.

Well... 100 damage is a big number, but that is about the only prop that this card has. Its attack takes two energy to built it up, by then, it will be dead, in less it is on your bench and you have a Manectric, in which case it can still be Bright Looked, or Pokemon Reversaled into your active. 70 HP is just dreadful, you can get one good hit with it, then it will die, the only reason this card reminds me of Jumpluff is because of its laughable HP, it is nowhere near as good IMO. The best thing that you can do for this things HP is Snowpoint and E-Belt, but then its HP is still less than desirable. If you were to have the card not benched and have a Fire Energy somewhere on your field, attach an energy to Victini, then Celebrator Wind, you might be able to get two hits in with it, but it will get revenge killed. This card might make for a decent rogue, however I don't see it being a large part of the meta due to its HP.

I can easily see a deck using a mix of Victini, Cinccino and Jumpluff doing well in a future format. These cards have the same strategy, and can cover each others weaknesses (Jumpluff can take out heavy hitters mid game, Cinccino can use DCE for a faster set-up and Victini can be a great pokemon to either start of finish with).

Eh, its ok. Its hard to swarm with them when when it takes 2 turns to charge up. Then again, they can use Revive, while Jumpluff needs BTS or Rare Candy.

I think Cinccino is better. it's plenty fast, has better HP, and only has to use one energy. (DCE)

^This. Cinccino is better. You have more base HP, and with Belt, both Cinccino and Victini do the same amount of damage but Cinccino still has more HP. It's only one Energy, a DCE, and even if you don't have a full Bench, Cinccino can still attack, but Victini is limited. The only difference I can think of is that Victini is a Basic Pokemon, but Cinccino is still better.

mewperior does fine and mew only has 60 HP. this isnt to different. i can see this being a Tier 1 deck in a HGSS-on meta but if we still have LuxChomp around with this it fails miserably

^But Mew doesn't need any energy. If Mew is knocked out you can send one right back up and hit for 0-250. With Victini it is difficult to recover, so it's more different than you think.

This deck is like Mimeking. It's very frail and can't really hold its ground to Pokemon who hit for high damage and have over 100 HP. We'll see if this works.

Honestly, the best instance I can see Victini being used in is as a side tech to counter nasty threats that are weak to fire (Jumpluff or anything Metal type not named Bronzong). He'd probably be best as an RK, the way I see it, but the painful bit is he's just a bit too predictable, and seeing as the attack costs {R}{C} it takes at least 2 turns to power up barring the use of Energy Pickup/Afterburner. You could probably stand to run 1 or 2 in Charizard or something, but it isn't well-established enough to deserve its own deck.
As previously said, Cinccino probably works better as it's more splashable, just needs a DCE (which most decks can make room for), and it caps at 120 100, plus it doesn't fail if the bench isn't full. But eh, Victini has some merit.

edit: misread cinccino slightly

@catutie: I guess what I was trying to get at is that Mewperior can run little Pokemon and little support to get it going. Victini obviously has some drawbacks (as stated by Decmaster) that make it sub-par to this meta. Sure, it could be good next format, but I wouldn't consider it better than Tier 3 at all.

catutie said:
set up an emboar on the bench and you can get the 2 energies in a heart beat.

But why would you have to setup Emboar in this deck? It's only two Energy, and getting out a Stage-2 would slow down the deck.

it is no where close to meta in this format.

EDIT: man i forgot i was replying to this. rare candy. you need to fill the bench anyway. sure you will already have your victini set up T2 but you still need to set up other ones as you victinis get KOed

this would be a great swarm deck. the only one bad thing i can think of to counter this would be ditto TM.
dittobolic would destroy victini

ogeray said:
this would be a great swarm deck. the only one bad thing i can think of to counter this would be ditto TM.
dittobolic would destroy victini

Or Zoroark with DCE, Foul Play, and a full bench.

The main {R} deck that will become popular will most likely be Reshiram/Emboar. Victini might have a chance but without enough HP bulk it doesn't have very much staying power, more of a glass cannon. That and it also loses to other popular decks in our current format especially SableDonk.

If metal deks become popular, it could see use as an anti metal tech in Cincinno. What is more likely is that fire will overwhelm metal nad Victini will fade into the background

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back