The VGC 2011 Rules, Biggest Gaming Mistake Ever?

Card Slinger J said:
How is it crippling? They could've banned the use of Weather Teams by getting rid of Kyogre and Groudon and the format would've been fine the way it was but PUSA and TPCi had to take it one step further and ban all the old Pokemon in Generation V for VGC 2011. Unless changes are made for VGC 2012, this could be the final nail in the coffin for Pokemon Video Game Competitive Play.

You're kidding right? Rain Dance was used WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before Kyogre was even THOUGHT of being introduced to the VGC. Also, they did not just ban these pokemon to get rid of weather. The meta was fine with weather in it- Rain Dance didn't even make the finals in worlds. It was won by Trick Rom, which again, was waaaaaaay before Kyogre/Groudon's time. And it's still a legit strat with Reuniclus in play now.

I personally think it will cause more people to play. For one, it will cause lots of people to buy B/W. It's a way to make more money. And B, for players who have been thinking about joining, the banning of 493 pokemon makes the format easier to figure out. You now only have to make sure you cover the B/W threats, as opposed to covering B/W threats as well as 493 additional pokemon. It will cause an easier metagame, and you will have to work harder to find the split between Good and Great players. It's a good move iirc, and it definitely won't kill VGC participation.

EDIT: To answer Darkvoid's question, yes. At level 50, 8 EV's equal one point as opposed to level 100, where 4 equal one point. Therefore, if you wish to max out stats, your spread would be 248/248/8 as oppposed to 252/252/4. You also have to make sure your non-maxed EVs are reduced or increased accordingly to numbers divisible by 8.

RE: The VGC 2011 Rules, Biggest Gaming Mistake Ever?
In my view, I think this makes it easier for the people paying attention. I love when all my opponents don't bother researching, just show up. Also anyone know if you EV, will it matter after the levels are reduced to 50?

EV training always matters.

How do I get the quote to appear? I press quote but nothing happens.

Well considering the state your mind is obvioulsy in, there's no changing your mind about this rule. However I have to ask the question: Have you even TRIED the rules yet? I thought it was stupid at first too, but then I actually tried it on PO and I like it alot. You need to be more creative when picking Pokemon because most people go to trick room and tailwind, and finding a good way to counter both that works for you is always fun.:p I'm not saying they shouldn't allow all of them in later years, I just saying that right now it's a fun and uniqe way to play.

I really think you need to stop whining. If you honestly think these new rules will "kill" the game and tournament, you're dead wrong. With Black and White out, the community will only grow more and attendance in these tournaments are only expected to increase! You're making this so much more dramatic than it is. You really think that the 800+ people that show up at each Regional around the country are going to stop or make a fuss out of this because there are new rules? Come on. This is just like a normal TCG rotation: You have to get used to new rules and in the case of TCG, cards. These rules keep a healthy format.

And about Japan having a huge advantage? Not really. Right when B/W rules were announced, people have started to test teams on Pokemon Online. We stand just as much as a chance against Japan in Worlds this year.

"I personally think that this is a HUGE blow to the Video Game Community of the franchise and a few friends of mine including myself don't like these new Sanctioned Rules at all infact to the point where they will boycott the VGC's this year or refuse to participate in Sanctioned events related to this year's VGCs."

Go ahead! No one's asking you to come to these tournaments if you don't want to.

Black and White are meant to be "throwbacks". They attract veterans and newcomers alike. Traditionally, for new players to not be "outclassed" by veterans with Dialga or Mewtwo, they decided to make all players get used to the new ones, and thus let new players have somewhat of an even match.

But how does that justify the horrible designs of the Pokemon in Generation V?

You could say they look more like Digimon but the lines are being blurred everyday.

^...we are talking about the rules of VCG 2011. How does the designs of the Pokemon fit into this? Although I do agree.

slickmario said:
^...we are talking about the rules of VCG 2011. How does the designs of the Pokemon fit into this? Although I do agree.

The bad designs fit in because most of my friends don't like the new designs for Black/White hence why they don't want to play it. Granted there are a few I do like but it's not very many unfortunately.

icyFREEZEdragon said:
Hopefully, they allow all the older Pokemon next year. Either that I'll stick with Pokemon Online.

If they don't I can see everyone quitting the Pokemon video games for good.

@Card Slinger J
Dude calm down. First of all the Pokemon designs are all opinion, for instance you may dislike many of them, and I love more than half of them (and I've been in this since Red.) Second as I said earlier the whole reasoning behind this is most likely to give players the opprotunity to use new unfamiliar pokemon instead of shunning them for the familiar old one (that and in Japan a big deal was made about how the new region is disconnected from the previous ones.) It's also very misguided to say that if this happens next year than everyone will quit Sorry that you feel these rules are bogus, but complaining about these little details doesn't help your argument.

I gave it alot of thought and decided to give Generation V a chance including the new Pokemon as well. Yeah most of the new designs are pretty bad however there's several that I do like that I can make good use of. Everytime a new Generation of Pokemon is introduced people bash it until they get used to it and see a different light from it or they discard it for the previous Generation.

The problem now is finding enough people in my community that would be willing to abide by the new VGC Rules for regular tournament play (until changes are made for 2012) and considering the recent ban on the 493 Pokemon from Generation IV that's not gonna be easy. I know I'll need to EV Train a new team of Pokemon for Generation V and transferring EV Reduction Berries from the Dream World is not going to be easy.

So Godspeed, hopefully Smogon will get the Generation V Movesets ready but it probably won't be done til next year If we make it. ;P

I actually like the new rule put in place for the VGA tournament this year because it allows everyone to be original. Most people who enter the tournament would use almost identical teams if it allowed the play of all pokemons.

I really don't mind the 5th gen-only rule. I think that the rule combined with the fact that it is 2 on 2 causes people to be really creative, which is the reason that many people play pokemon.

(also, we all know that the biggest mistake in gaming history was nintendo selling out Mario and Zelda to Philips)

slickmario said:
serebii has the movesets of all Pokemon, generation 1-5

Yeah but I like Smogon better cause they give you a Base Stat Chart of each Pokemon especially what their stats will be at Level 100 depending on Natures and IV's, plus unfortunately their movesets only span from Generation I up to Generation IV. They're still working on Generation V as we speak.

If you ever play any competitive game, especially TCG like Magic, YuGiOh, Pokemon. You would know that they are always changing. Either they rotate our sets every 3-6 months, or they change the banned list. This encourge player to be creative and keep the game alive. Who would want to use the same card / deck / Pokemon team every time ?

Also when talking about fairness, I think it is fair in Nintendo's perspective. If you been on track of Pokemon VGC you would figure out the pattern of rules. It had always been what Pokemon are available to players at that time.

Example: In the early VGC, you only allow Pokemon with LVL 50 or lower and later on, with the game improvement, all Pokemon are auto level down to 50. Why? Because LVL 50 is very easy to raise, instead of LVL 100! Also, LVL 50 introduce more variety on EV and IV based values. Nintendo wants all players to have a chance to raise their competitive Pokemon, instead some so call Veteran player have all their LVL 100 pokemon beating someone who are new to the game who might only have LVL 75 Pokemon.

Another Example: In early series of Gen IV VGCs, no Legendary were allow, period. No Mewtwo, Kyroge, etc. Why? Because they were not accessible in the new Gen IV. Then later when Heart Gold and Soul Silver are out, you are allow to use Mewtwo, Kyroge, etc. Why ? Because you can catch them in the game! Also, why you think non of the event Pokemon were ever be allowed in any VGC? Again, because THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE. If you do not have WI-FI / time to go to GameStop, you cannot get it.

Now the Gen V is out, Nintendo make the assumption that NOT EVERY PLAYER have access to GEN IV games. That is why they ONLY ALLOW UNOVA Pokemon! Sure one can argue you can get Pokemon from Dream World, but it is a long progress to get any Pokemon in dream world, and again, if you do not have Internet access, you cannot access Dream World. PLUS, it won't be ready till March 30th.... Do you think that is totally unfair for any NON-Japan player as you probably only have 2-3 months access to Dream World ?

As a conclusion, Pokemon's main target audience is KIDS, and it is for them to have fun. It is not designed for Teenage / Adult "VETERAN" Pokemon players.

I like the idea of having to train pokemon to play in tournaments. Do you not? (Well, I can tell you obviously don't) I also like that people are going to have to come up with new ideas for teams instead of just having a Kyorgre completely carry the whole battle for every battle (<-- this crap is true), I mean, really, where's the fun or skill in that?

I for one am fond of the idea.

Just be glad they don't have it be triple battles.

And the above post in 100% true, nice first post, happyam.

Back