BW/BW2 There should be "HM slave" party slots

Tarazuma

Hypno Fangirl
I'm not sure if anyone's ever thought of this before, but I was thinking today how much better it would be if there were at least 2-3 extra party slots for "HM slaves" that can't be accessed during battle. So even if you have the extra slots filled, you only have 6 Pokemon to battle with, even if they get knocked out.

Then it eliminates wasted active party slots and constantly having to access the PC boxes.

Better yet, they should just do away with HMs entirely, but that's highly unlikely :/

Or make HMs Key Items. I'm tired of the same old terrible moves as well. They can make the good HMs as TMs.

dmaster out.

Yeah, that's another good option. Or just completely revamp the HMs and make them all genuinely good moves.

I still hope that Game Freak allows us to have HMs as Key Items, like dmaster stated. D/P/Pt was ridiculous with all of the HMs (loldefog). Getting through Mt. Coronet was probably the worst of any storyline conclusion in other Pokemon game so far. Rock Smash, Strength, Surf, Defog and Rock Climb were all needed. In my recent Platinum file, only 2 of my Pokemon could learn Rock Smash, so it was a huge hassle. I had to level up one Pokemon with Rare Candies and box it to replace it with an "HM Slave". Just make HMs Key Items, or whatever Pokemon on your team that's capable of learning the HM can use it without having it in their moveset. >:/

Finally a spot for bidoof that's a good idea i would like for it if you were in a situation like wanting to surf so it says do you want you use surf you say yes and it recognizes a Pokemon in your PC so it transfers it over to your 3 HM Pokemon slots and then you can use it straight away and when you surf you are actually surfing on the Pokemon you chose, likewise with Fly.

they would probably call it something different, but it does seem like a good Idea. I think Pokémon thinks thats part of the challenge/fun of the game though so it'll probably never happen.

Never liked the "HM Slave", but yeah... make them items instead ... okay maybe not... some of them maybe, but not all... that would be stupid... what to use Fly, Surf and Rock Smash? We need Pokemons for that XD

They should just make it like PMD, where you only had to have the HM in your inventory. That way, there would be no need for an "HM Slave" party slot or anything. To go along with this, there should be limited TM/HM pouch space (maybe about 50).

Waterfall is a good HM in the Meta-game. Why not have HM key items, and make Waterfall a TM?

Why not do it like at a certain point in a game pokemon gain abilities to do stuff cuz i dont think Lapras has to know surf before it can swim.....Like when you get a badge youre pokemon gain the ability to fly..or somthin andd make HM moves TM moves

@Tarazuma, GameFreak won't make slots for HM slaves because normally Pokemon from your team should know HM's, you might think it is a waste of moves, but this is how GameFreak meant it to be. After all, HM slaves are made by those who didn't want to give their Pokemon HM moves. I don't mind the HM's that much. Surf always finds a way on my team, so does fly. Cut isn't necessary to complete the storyline, well.. maybe one or two trees, but I rather get a Pokemon with Cut from my box than giving it to my team. Anyway Strength isn't that bad. Never used Flash or Defog, always went through it blindly. I admit I use a HM slave for some HM's, but that's my choice and I'm willing to accept that in order to carry my HM slave around I have to put one Pokemon in the box. Don't make such a problem of it.

HMs should be changed into Field Abilities. Any useful HMs should become TMs.

So, what are Field Abilities? Every pokemon could have a variety of Field Abilities (located where HMs used to be in the pokemon menu). These abilities could be numerous (Cut, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Dig, Flash, Whirlpool, Teleport, etc.) and allow for a huge range of different moves to be used outside of battle.

Certain moves like Cut and Surf could be greyed out or unusable until you receive a badge. Others could be usable immediately. Maybe you could have special events that could allow you to teach a Field Ability to a pokemon.

Best of all, Field Abilities do not take up valuable spaces on your pokemon roster, or valuable spaces on your move list. So you have the goodness of HMs but without the hassle of slaves.

I like the "ability" idea, and also the key item idea. I liked in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon how you didn't have to know an HM, you just had to have it with you to go somewhere.

Hmm. I like the sound of that. That'd be pretty convenient. We would have our normal party of 6 then a section for about 2 HM Slaves. I'm not sure if Nintendo is even aware of the term HM Slave, so I'm not sure if this could happen.

Despite the convenience, six pokemon limit is a six pokemon limit. Besides, its in game, which is never much of a challenge to begin with.

I thought it was already confirmed when the Pokemon Black and White news first started coming out that pokemon in these games would have a field ability (fly, surf, etc.) and that there would be no more HMs.

PokemonOfSteel said:
I thought it was already confirmed when the Pokemon Black and White news first started coming out that pokemon in these games would have a field ability (fly, surf, etc.) and that there would be no more HMs.

Where did you hear that? I've heard nothing about that so far.

Pokequaza said:
@Tarazuma, GameFreak won't make slots for HM slaves because normally Pokemon from your team should know HM's, you might think it is a waste of moves, but this is how GameFreak meant it to be. After all, HM slaves are made by those who didn't want to give their Pokemon HM moves. I don't mind the HM's that much. Surf always finds a way on my team, so does fly. Cut isn't necessary to complete the storyline, well.. maybe one or two trees, but I rather get a Pokemon with Cut from my box than giving it to my team. Anyway Strength isn't that bad. Never used Flash or Defog, always went through it blindly. I admit I use a HM slave for some HM's, but that's my choice and I'm willing to accept that in order to carry my HM slave around I have to put one Pokemon in the box. Don't make such a problem of it.

Um, pretty much everyone who posted here so far and everyone I've ever known online and IRL thinks it's a waste of moves, it's not just me. Have you ever heard anyone say they LIKE being forced to use HMs? You're honestly the first person I've encountered in my entire life who dosen't mind them, or the inconvenience of HM slaves.

And FYI cut is absolutely required in R/B to get into Surge's gym. I don't remember if it was required in G/S or R/S. Never bothered with D/P so idk about the HMs in that if that's what you were referring to.

I always use Surf though, even if it wasn't required it's my favorite water move.

Zyflair said:
Despite the convenience, six pokemon limit is a six pokemon limit. Besides, its in game, which is never much of a challenge to begin with.

Well, the extra slots were just my initial idea, the other posters suggestions about having HMs as key items or field abilities are much better ideas.

Besides, they could very easily change the "limit" of Pokemon, just as the changed the limit of the number of Pokemon in battle, first to 2, and now it's 3. I know they most likely won't change the number of slots, but the number of Pokemon in battle being changed is evidence that not everything is set in stone when it comes to these games.

A held Item would be interesting. They could make it so only compatible pokemon could actually do the actions, but any pokemon could hold them. It would get rid of the need to have terrible moves like Rock Smash and they could have secondary effects.

It would be best if they added extra slots for Hm slaves.But wouldn't that make training (unless you actually did use those slots for hm slaves)A bit more difficult?

Back