Tier List For Cities

ApachePrime said:
Machamp the Champion said:
Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, that barely ever happens. I've only ever gotten one turn 1 Ho-oh, and that's with a DCE and 2 other energy, and never a turn 1 Tornadus EX. That's around 6 very specific cards including a coin flip. Maybe it's just my build or your build or your build or something.

14 games Philly Regionals. Turn one 100 damage in 8 of those games. Turn one 80 in 3. 11/14 games is quite a majority. I didn't count the rest of my season, but a majority of games I have gotten 3 Ho-oh and 3 energy in the discard turn 1. It's not only very possible, but very easy.

OK, I have to have the single worst list of that deck possible if you can get that so freakin' often. Or I just have horrible luck, that seems to be the answer to a lot of my problems. By luck, I don't mean Rebirth flips.

Blue = Edited in

ApachePrime said:
Uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, that barely ever happens. I've only ever gotten one turn 1 Ho-oh, and that's with a DCE and 2 other energy, and never a turn 1 Tornadus EX. That's around 6 very specific cards including a coin flip. Maybe it's just my build or your build or your build or something.

14 games Philly Regionals. Turn one 100 damage in 8 of those games. Turn one 80 in 3. 11/14 games is quite a majority. I didn't count the rest of my season, but a majority of games I have gotten 3 Ho-oh and 3 energy in the discard turn 1. It's not only very possible, but very easy.

It's easy when you have ridiculous hands.

Mewtwo Eels can keep up with Landorus, but Zekeels stinks and Rayeels is Tier 2. Ho-oh is VERY luck oriented, and K/B is only good when it draws everything it needs.
mewtwo Eels is Tier 1.5 imo

Keeper of Night said:
Roronoa Zoro said:
But I don't think Landorus puts that much pressure on Darkrai decks that aren't Darkrai/Hydreigon.
However, Darkrai/Hydriegon is by far the most popular build.

Not in our area. We are full of Darkrai variants without Hydreigon from Darkrai Mewtwo to Darkrai Terrakion to Hammertime to Darkrai Roserade.

RogueChomp said:
Mewtwo Eels can keep up with Landorus, but Zekeels stinks and Rayeels is Tier 2. Ho-oh is VERY luck oriented, and K/B is only good when it draws everything it needs.

Keeper of Night said:
However, Darkrai/Hydriegon is by far the most popular build.

Not in our area. We are full of Darkrai variants without Hydreigon from Darkrai Mewtwo to Darkrai Terrakion to Hammertime to Darkrai Roserade.

Not going to tell what the masters are playing,
nor am I going to say what I am playing..
But was I the only one playing Hydreigon in the area? If so, then yeah everyone played Darkrai something, because what can beat Darkrai other than fighting? Everything just got faster with Skyla, so Darkrai tier 1, is a true statement. I don't see eels getting any stronger, due to Landorus early game.

CrystalEyeMonster said:
RogueChomp said:

Not going to tell what the masters are playing,
nor am I going to say what I am playing..
But was I the only one playing Hydreigon in the area? If so, then yeah everyone played Darkrai something, because what can beat Darkrai other than fighting? Everything just got faster with Skyla, so Darkrai tier 1, is a true statement. I don't see eels getting any stronger, due to Landorus early game.

You were one of the only :p

But yeah, I accounted for seniors and masters, both are filled with Darkrai variants of some sort.

Dweaver said:
Does anyone think that Cresselia EX will be a staple in Hydreigon Darkrai?

Not a staple but a tech. Because it OHKOs Mewtwo its great, and it has tanking potential, but your opponent an conserve their Catchers and Double catcher OHKO you your Cress with a Mewtwo to take your energy out of play.

Dweaver said:
Does anyone think that Cresselia EX will be a staple in Hydreigon Darkrai?

Staple? No. Good tech card? Sure. IT kos Mewtwo, and gets hit by mewtwo for no weakness, UNLESS its burned by two catcher... Which would be worth it.

Really? Landorus Tier 1 and Blastoise/Keldeo Tier 2? You do realize that Keldeo OHKOs Landorus no matter what? Landous gets a 2HKO on Squirtle and can't touch the benched one, Bouffalont only takes 10 if it's benched. The horse kills the Landorus.

Tier 1:
Darkrai/Hydreigon (you haven't seen this beast when it gets a good start, it butchers Mewtwo/Terrakion (somehow))
Blastoise/Keldeo
Landorus/Terrakion/attackers

Tier 2:
RaiEels
RayEels
Straight Garchomp

Tier 3:
Mewtwo Eels
Zekeels
Ho-oh

Tier 1:
Darkrai, with or without Hydreigon.
Terrakion/Landorus/Mewtwo, with or without Garbodor
Blasteo
RayEels

Tier 2:
Other Eels
Garchomp/Terrakion
Ho-Oh
Other Garbodor
Empoleon
Stoutland Variants

Trends are fun :p I guess it's what the thread is about. (in order)

Tier 1:
Darkrai without Hydreigon
Darkrai/Hydreigon
Eelektrik/Mewtwo or Raikou or whatever
Landorus EX/Stuff that went well with Terrakion

Tier 1.5
Eelektrik/Rayquaza (I felt like tier 1.5 didn't have enough stuff in it, I think it's better then the rest of 1.5)
Empoleon
Garbodor

Tier 2:
Ho-Oh
Fighting without Landorus (which really shouldn't exist, but people will still use it)
Garchomp/Anything

Undecided
Blastoise/Keldeo.
I really haven't tested with or against this deck at all, and I really don't want to theorymon for such a hyped deck (the last time I theorymoned a hyped deck was Garchomp, I was right about it, but I just knew Garchomp sucked, really not sure with this). Once I play a few games with it, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Fighting without Landorus (which really shouldn't exist, but people will still use it)

What's wrong with that? :p

Tier 1:
Darkrai Varients
Blasteo (Through testing, I've found this to actually be a very good deck)
Mewtwo Eels
The Garbage Man

Teir 1.5:
Other Eels Varients
Any Fighting Varient (With or without Landorus)

Teir 2:
Empoleon
Ho-oh

Teir 9001:
Garchomp

Bo$$_89 said:

What's wrong with that? :p

Tier 1:
Darkrai Varients
Blasteo (Through testing, I've found this to actually be a very good deck)
Mewtwo Eels
The Garbage Man

Teir 1.5:
Other Eels Varients
Any Fighting Varient (With or without Landorus)

Teir 2:
Empoleon
Ho-oh

Teir 9001:
Garchomp

Just because Landorus is so good. I guess it's not any worse then before or anything, I guess I could see it happening if that area is filled with Keldeo or something.

I am a Magic player. Now, the thing about Magic is that we have tournament results. We see the lists that are winning and there are thousands of people playing on Magic Online who tweak and refine winning decks and have their current winning lists continually posted for the public. We even have people who write columns and articles about decks and their matchups, so we have a solid idea of what the metagame consists of. Pokemon really has none of that.

It seems to me, an outside observer, that nobody knows the Pokemon metagame because nobody knows what to play. Nobody knows what to play because there are no results to base things off of. People just take the decks they see on forums and play them in private with way too many variables involved (specific deck build, skill, luck, too small a sample size of games played) and everyone ends up with different results. It seems to me that most of this thread has been arguing over what a deck's matchups really are (most of the time based on assumptions that nobody has ever really gotten around to testing i.e. Is Keldeo even a good deck?).

I guess I am just spoiled by having information laid out in front of me. It is just my observation that there are too many 'variants' (which is probably the most useless term I have ever heard since it seems to refer to 4 or 5 ways to build a deck, all of which would have different matchups) and too many different builds of deck for people to get consistent results and actually be able to agree on a tier list. To me there is just a group of solid decks that may or may not be able to beat each other depending on how they are built. I do not quite know how to remedy this problem other than thoroughly testing each of them then posting lists and results, but I assume the people who actually do this testing are keeping that information private because, why should they share it? Maybe I am just restating everything people already know, but in my opinion there has to be actual games played to determine a deck's matchups and tier rank, and everyone here seems to be a lot of talk and theory with no actual facts. Let me know if I am wrong.

Note that I feel a large factor in the tier list debate is that:
1) There are not enough Pokemon tournaments
2) There are no publicly accesible tournament results
3) There are not enough competitive players
These are all needed to develop a legitimate metagame, but since those don't exist, people need to test matchups themselves.

bunnyboy0 said:
I am a Magic player. Now, the thing about Magic is that we have tournament results. We see the lists that are winning and there are thousands of people playing on Magic Online who tweak and refine winning decks and have their current winning lists continually posted for the public. We even have people who write columns and articles about decks and their matchups, so we have a solid idea of what the metagame consists of. Pokemon really has none of that.

It seems to me, an outside observer, that nobody knows the Pokemon metagame because nobody knows what to play. Nobody knows what to play because there are no results to base things off of. People just take the decks they see on forums and play them in private with way too many variables involved (specific deck build, skill, luck, too small a sample size of games played) and everyone ends up with different results. It seems to me that most of this thread has been arguing over what a deck's matchups really are (most of the time based on assumptions that nobody has ever really gotten around to testing i.e. Is Keldeo even a good deck?).

I guess I am just spoiled by having information laid out in front of me. It is just my observation that there are too many 'variants' (which is probably the most useless term I have ever heard since it seems to refer to 4 or 5 ways to build a deck, all of which would have different matchups) and too many different builds of deck for people to get consistent results and actually be able to agree on a tier list. To me there is just a group of solid decks that may or may not be able to beat each other depending on how they are built. I do not quite know how to remedy this problem other than thoroughly testing each of them then posting lists and results, but I assume the people who actually do this testing are keeping that information private because, why should they share it? Maybe I am just restating everything people already know, but in my opinion there has to be actual games played to determine a deck's matchups and tier rank, and everyone here seems to be a lot of talk and theory with no actual facts. Let me know if I am wrong.

These are all needed to develop a legitimate metagame, but since those don't exist, people need to test matchups themselves.

There is a magical site called "TheTopCut". They get results from every tournament in Pokemon and show what decks won, and occasionally share the lists. There are plenty of players in the UK, Japan and the US, but hardly any in Australasia. There are generally tournaments every month (including PR). Plus we have league every week and there are a few unofficial tournaments going around.

Puff said:
Tier 1:
Darkrai, with or without Hydreigon.
Terrakion/Landorus/Mewtwo, with or without Garbodor
Blasteo
RayEels

Tier 2:
Other Eels
Garchomp/Terrakion
Ho-Oh
Other Garbodor
Empoleon

Tier 9738:
Stoutland Variants

Fixed*

Honestly, who even thinks Stoutland is good? Doesn't it autolose against Landorus?

No, it's colorless, so you can run it with backup attackers of whatever type you please. If you find you have too many lando problems, just put in some waters.

bunnyboy0 said:

There are definitely placed to find results, The Top Cut usually get's all the top 4 or greater of each of the big events, and most of the smaller ones as well. And there are tons of Article sites on what people think is good or bad, really in depth analysis on specific decks, and what there testing results are (some of which aren't free, which I think is kinda stupid).
I personally have tested with the things I'm claiming to be this or that (most of them anyways).

Back