Top 100 Entries Selected for 2024’s Pokemon TCG Illustration Contest!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Creatures has selected the top 100 entries for this year’s Pokemon TCG Illustration Contest!
Last month, they revealed the top 300 entries before revising them due to rule violations.
If you’re in Honolulu for the World Championships, you’ll be able to see all the artwork in person at a PTCG Illustration Contest 2024 Gallery.
Ultimately three winning artists will be announced in September. There will be one standard illustration winner, one Pokemon ex winner, and one grand...

Continue reading...

So many good Feraligatrs and Melmetals in particular, no idea why. A huge fan of the Spareribs Koraidon. Shoutout to Sarah Hamilton’s Flygon, HIDEMARU ATSUTA’s Absol, and Jitta’s Melmetal. Actually, pretty much all of these amazing… I don’t think I would be upset with any of them winning, I didn’t see any I disliked

Last edited:
Well good artists shouldn't be punished for picking those Pokemon either.
Theyre all good artists. I'm just beyond over seeing these pokemon on promos. I get it, theyre the most popular of course. Just stating that I'd love to see some variation now and then.

KSHABILLYA☆'s Absol reminds me of old Christopher Rush Illustrated land cards for Magic the gathering. I'd really like this one to win

The judges made some really good choices here, there isn't a piece here that I dislike or outright hate. SAKANAGI's Koraidon actually got a chuckle out of me due to the exaggerated roar.

I also took the liberty of checking to see if any of the six artists selected during the revision of the Top 300 (after they booted out that AI "artist" for breaking the rules regarding submissions) and none of them made it through. That said it appears that none of the other artists that may have used AI got past the Top 300 either so there's some solace here.

Ayo’s melmetal hits crazy. Btw where can average people get the cards that win? Or are they crazy expensive to start off with

Congratulations to retired PokeBeach artist Xous for making it to the second round of this contest once again!
Thank you so much! I honestly can't believe it!

Btw where can average people get the cards that win? Or are they crazy expensive to start off with
How the winning promo cards are distributed depends on the region, but last year they did a promotion where if you spent a certain amount of money on Pokémon products and used a promotional code you were able to get all 3 cards added to your order. Here's the PB article about it for reference.

No telling how they'll distribute this year's winners yet, though.

Thank you so much! I honestly can't believe it!

How the winning promo cards are distributed depends on the region, but last year they did a promotion where if you spent a certain amount of money on Pokémon products and used a promotional code you were able to get all 3 cards added to your order. Here's the PB article about it for reference.

No telling how they'll distribute this year's winners yet, though.
Ah thanks! No matter who wins I want to try and get one of these cards.

All my favorite ex's are gone. :'(
I have never been able to pick a favorite landscape artwork from these contests before, but with the smaller range of ex's, I would hoping rakko's Bidoof ex or NIJIMAARC's Feraligatr ex would win. Both cards were visually stunning, with warm lighting and even warmer effects.

I suppose if I could pick one landscape card to win, it would be Yonemori Senri's Flygon. It feels like someone took the artwork of Flygon ex from Dragon Frontiers and cranked it up to 11. It's not just the epic scene that impresses me. That fuzzy texture and those vibrant colors put me in mind of actual paintings, though I can't lay my finger on the medium the style most resembles.

As a Pokémon that has largely been defined by 3D renders and thickly 2D artwork, even Charmaster, defender of 5BAN, PLANETA and Ryu Ueda, has to admit that Shirzow's most stunningly textured art doesn't compensate for the fact that Flygon has been... left behind on Pokémon's march towards artistic excellence. Despite the veritable Cambrian Illustrator Explosion that began at least as early as the pandemic, Flygon was seemingly singled out to receive 3D illustrations for both of its bulk appearances, even though a V was scheduled to be printed shortly after the second, meaning that all four of Flygon's illustrations in the Sword and Shield era were in the same style. Any of the top 100 Flygon illustrations would be a welcome change, but although I was just as impressed with Anna Corbett's illustration as with Yonemori Senri's, Yonemori's not only feels like a callback to third generation due to its resemblance to the aforementioned ex's artwork, but its rich hues and grainy surface give the artwork a handcrafted quality that only Mitsuhiro Arita's Flygon illustration can rival. At the very least, it's time for Flygon to partake in the fruits of this era and receive some truly unique illustrations.

Back