Top 300 Entries Selected for 2024’s Pokemon TCG Illustration Contest!

Michael Bailey's Meltan looks like it came straight from the Neo/e-Card era.

8lEFIxT.jpeg

Lots of fantastic art! And also some doofus who probably spammed a billion AI generated image submissions using multiple accounts, as is commonplace for art contests these days... I could suggest that the Pokemon Co. stems these submissions in future contests by omitting species that public AI models are thoroughly trained on like Pikachu or Eevee, but obviously that won't happen.

Anyways, there are almost too many outstanding pieces for me to pick a favorite. If I had to pick one, Mori Kakaka's Flygon really stands out to me for its creative use of perspective. But really I'd be happiest if every piece here could be turned into a card, lol.

Congrats to my pal, former PokeBeach site artist and all around stand up gentleman @Xous for making the cut (again)!
Thank you so much! It's an honor to get chosen again this year alongside so many amazing pieces of art.

Would be amazing if they picked at least one single-prize card winner AND an ex winner! There's too many good entries here to just have THREE winners, damn...
According to the contest rules, there will be at least one standard illustration winner, one ex winner, and then one grand prize winner which could be of either style. All three of those winners will be printed into promo cards. :)

Then, there will be 6 First Place Runner-Ups and 15 Judge's Award winners.

I agree though, there are always so many great entries that it's gotta be incredibly difficult to narrow it down.

Thank you so much! It's an honor to get chosen again this year alongside so many amazing pieces of art.

According to the contest rules, there will be at least one standard illustration winner, one ex winner, and then one grand prize winner which could be of either style. All three of those winners will be printed into promo cards. :)

I agree though, there are always so many great entries that it's gotta be incredibly difficult to narrow it down.
Congrats and good luck!. Still pissed I couldn’t participate from Germany tho

Could have checked the IG of the "artist" but it's now gone private because people probably compared his actual shared art with the contest ones and most likely started bashing him. Hope he gets disqualified.

I'm really hoping NIJIMAARC's Feraligatr ex or rakko's Bidoof ex wins the ex category, as their outside-the-frame-but-over-the-texture effects impress me even more than Mew ex's bubbles, and their illustrations have excellent mood lighting and, in Bidoof's case, a very warm style and color pallet. I would be happy whether these ex's got the usual holofoil or not (Bidoof is probably my preference).

I'm really hoping NIJIMAARC's Feraligatr ex or rakko's Bidoof ex wins the ex category, as their outside-the-frame-but-over-the-texture effects impress me even more than Mew ex's bubbles, and their illustrations have excellent mood lighting and, in Bidoof's case, a very warm style and color pallet. I would be happy whether these ex's got the usual holofoil or not (Bidoof is probably my preference).
Those are the two I think look best. Well and the same artist's Charizard but enough of Charizard. Enough, enough lol.

Whether or not AI art was submitted, it does raise the question on whether or not that was something even considered by the event organizers. AI was really starting to take off around the time the contest was taking entries, so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities that someone might have used it to enter.

And we’ve seen with TPC for TCG… Not always be the most diligent when it comes to issues that others have anticipated, so AI being up next wouldn’t be too shocking, and like with what others have said with people on Twitter already being able to find evidence for it… Well, time will tell whether or not it has any weight to it.

Again, the fact of the matter is that its a possibility and if TPC didnt anticipate it, thats not great but also not surprising. Above all else I just hope this doesn’t affect future illustration contests. This has become something I look forward to seeing the entries for each year and I keep wanting to participate but never end up having time to make something.

All that aside… Echoing what everyone else is saying in that there are sooo so many amazing entries! I genuinely love seeing the entries that are made in different mediums (seeing that one feraligatr by tayu be EMBROIDERED was amazing!!!)

I also love so many of the entries for Absol here. The one by The common star that looks like a collage, the pure black and white one by rena nakajima, the one of it looking at a mural depicting it bringing disasters and having its shadow cast over it by Yu, and the one of it sharpening its horn with its tail by Kaya are all some of my favorites.

Hey, hey! Let me send my congrats down the wire, too!! It would be insane if one of PokeBeach's own gets their own official card!

Wow some stunning art here, suspicious about the 4 V.k eevees, looks like potentially 4 entries by 1 artist? I see some people suspect AI too. It will be such a shame if that's the case. Why some individuals have to ruin it for others is sad.

I entered this year. I made needle felted models, photographed them on a set I made then edited on photo shop. Gutted I didn't make the cut but I can see why with over 10 thousand entries to compete with!

Attachments

• 20240614_203524.jpg
    20240614_203524.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 28
How is it ex Pokémon look as underwhelming as rule box Pokémon normally do? Maybe we shouldn't have rule box Pokémon if they're not gonna let them look goodm

I hope we can get the promo cards in Europe (Outside of the UK) this time. All of the artworks were really beautiful, so sad that only three of them will get a card :(

Back