TPCi Disqualifies Entries from 2024’s Pokemon TCG Illustrator Contest!

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi has announced they’ve disqualified entrants from 2024’s Illustrator Contest for violating the contest rules.
While they do not specifically cite what rules have been violated, fans have accused several of the entries of using AI and one of the artists of using multiple names to submit more than three entries.
The company announced it will select new artists to be among the top 300. The selections will come at a later date.
As of posting, the original 300 illustrations are still listed on their website. It’s unclear how many will be discarded.

TPCi-Disqualify-300x170.png

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I’m glad they said something. While what looks like multiple entries from the same person shouldn’t have made it in the first place and we also have some legitimate AI concerns, I’m glad they said something and are planning on doing an updated 300. Yeah, it’s vague, but this is a start. Of course, we’ll have to wait and see what the updated 300 look like…

I'm reserving my expletives for this, but let's just make this perfectly clear as crystal:

If you use A.I. to steal assets from others and pass them off as your own with "art" that you generated and had no hand in making, you are nothing but f-f-freakin' scum.

I'm glad to see justice being swiftly dealt out. 💪

I wasn’t expecting them to do anything either! It’ll be interesting to see how they go about picking the additional finalists, though. I’m pretty sure it was part of the rules that you couldnt post your piece until the finalists were posted, and now everyone’s posting their finished pieces now that top 300 was picked…
Well, we’ll see soon enough.

Love me some good news in the morning! I did not expect them to actually do something about it, but I am glad when I am wrong with my pessimism!

VERY happy that they also will pick other artists to fill the gaps now!

even if the art isn’t AI, at the very least the entrant submitted under several different names and that’s against the rules and i feel like some people are missing that

Don't get your hopes up before they reveal to us which ones were DQ-d.

Besides VK, there are at least 4 other artwork that have AI tells including blatant off-model elements of the mascot Pokemon. If they don't get removed then it was VK's stupidity that got him in the end and NOT his use of AI.

Are they banning it off of the public outcry or are they doing it cause they checked it themselves? I hope it is the later so that the ones being disqualified are rightly so.

Big W

Was using ai against the rules?
Also, do we know how many got dq’d?
Ironically, I think that the beginning of the contest was right before the onslaught of AI slop - it was probably overlooked entirely and not totally specified in the rules.

But i think they can catch the one specific guy on entering multiple times with basically the same alias.

I dont like this. Banning someone when no rules were broken because of the peanut gallery is a bad look. Why punish people who work with advances in technology. I use AI in my works to speed things up. It's just another digital tool. Digital artist need to chill out because their entire workflow is guided by AI.

I'm reserving my expletives for this, but let's just make this perfectly clear as crystal:

If you use A.I. to steal assets from others and pass them off as your own with "art" that you generated and had no hand in making, you are nothing but f-f-freakin' scum.

I'm glad to see justice being swiftly dealt out. 💪
Did you draw that avatar or are you stealing assets?

Back