• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Trevekazam (Trevenant BREAK / M Alakazam EX)

Yumikora

cd / Back to the roots
Pokémon (16):
  • 4-4-3 Trevenant (1xTrevenant BKP)
  • 1 Shaymin-EX
  • 2-2 M Alakazam-EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (36):
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Wally
  • 2 N
  • 1 Judge
  • 1 Cassius
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt
  • 1 Xerosic
  • 1 Delinquent
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Dimension Valley
  • 2 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Simsala Spirit Link
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Red Card
Energy (8):
  • 5 Psychic Energy
  • 3 Mystery Energy
Strategy:

Lock the opponent with Trevenant, spread damage with Trevenant-BREAK, clear the board with M-Alakazam-EX (if needed) or just spread damage with Alakazams ability.
The combination with Alakazam improves the match up against dark, but I'm not sure if its worth it. It also helps against big EX pokemon (for example M-Mewtwo and M-Man).

What do you think about the Greninja match up for this deck? What else could be a problem besides all decks with rough seas? (I'm playing 4 stadium and Delinquent for these match ups)
What do you think in general about this build? Could it compete on nationals? Or should I rather go for a full Trevenant build?

Thank you for your advices!

Side note: I'm playing only one shaymin to decrease the chance to have it as my starting Pokémon, since I'm not playing any float stone. Alakazam starts can be switched out with mystery energy since I can still evolve Phantump with Wally or Dimension Valley and so don't really need to attach an energy (first turn).
Shaymin starts can still be solved through Super Scoop Up, but this card is mostly for reevolve Alakazam (so I won't loose the spirit link). I know Super Scoop Up is a coinflip card, but it just has more synergy than float stone or AZ.

Changed:
- 1 Trainers Mail
- 2 Super Scoop Up
+ 1 Cassius
+ 1 Judge
+ 1 Sycamore

Last edited:
When I first saw the FAC set translations, I was quite excited about building a deck around the new M Alakzam EX. IMO, it will become one of the archtype decks emanating from the new FAC set. I also run a very competitive Trevenant right now; so, I can provide some insight from my match-ups, especially against Dark decks.

Also, only 36 Trainers are listed, not 37.

Despite the 1 Shaymin EX and the 4 VS Seeker, 5 card-draw Supporters are woefully insufficient, IMO.

I definitely think that a 4-4-3 Trevenant line works quite well; so, consider testing this configuration. The 4th Trevenant maximizes your chances of getting 3 into play T1 and a T1 Trevenant can really disrupt an opponent. Other Pokémon I currently use too are Wobbuffet (Bide Barricade; great secondary attacker and stops lots of key Pokémon Abilities) and Dedenne (FFI; helps setup my Bench and another secondary attacker in certain situations).

Other thoughts for your consideration:

-1 Wally - 3 are quite sufficient
-1 TF Grunt - not critical and lower priority
-1 Ultra Ball - 3 are quite sufficient
-3 Trainer's Mail - not critical
-2 Battle Compressor - stronger card draw overrides the need for these, especially if you only are getting Supporters in the future (thinning your deck does not really help this deck)
-1 Dimension Valley - 3 are quite sufficient given you run Delinquent
-2 Super Scoop Up - too flippy with only 50% chance of success or 0% if Item-locked
-1 Super Rod - I've found Sacred Ash to be more effective

+1 AZ / Cassius - to recover and resue Pokémon
+1 Fisherman - torecover discarded Basic energy
+1 Judge / Professor Birch's Observations / Tierno - more card-draw support
+2 Level Ball - helps get your Phantumps into play faster without paying 2-cards cost with Ultra Ball
+1 Professor Sycamore - more card-draw support
+1 Sacred Ash
+3 Weakness Policy - REALLY helps the Trees in Dark decks match-ups
+2 Psychic

What do you think about the Greninja match up for this deck? What else could be a problem besides all decks with rough seas?
A well-timed Red Card + Delinquent against the opponent's Stadium can disrupt the opponent strategy, as well as set the opponent behind. And after your Delinquent is discarded, it can be recovered and reused; thus, I've found running only 3 Dimension Valley to be quite sufficient. Secondly, at some point, the Rough Seas healing effect will be eliminated.

What do you think in general about this build? Could it compete on nationals? Or should I rather go for a full Trevenant build?
Trevenant, based upon my testing results thus far, has proven to be very competitive. I think the M Alakazam EX Pokémon will make it even more competitive. But, I've yet to complete my testing (e.g., I'm considering reducing my Trevenant line, but still need to test some other options).

Side note: I'm playing only one shaymin to decrease the chance to have it as my starting Pokémon, since I'm not playing any float stone. Alakazam starts can be switched out with mystery energy since I can still evolve Phantump with Wally or Dimension Valley and so don't really need to attach an energy (first turn).
Shaymin starts can still be solved through Super Scoop Up, but this card is mostly for reevolve Alakazam (so I won't loose the spirit link). I know Super Scoop Up is a coinflip card, but it just has more synergy than float stone or AZ.
I too only play 1 Shaymin EX in my decks, as well. It's great to have as a draw option, but can also be a late game liability.

I like running 1 AZ to either save a wounded Pokémon, "unstick" my Active Pokémon, and/or recover and reuse my Shaymin EX.

I hope you find these comments helpful.

First of allthank you for your input!
The 4-3(1)-3 description of trevenant is because I use 3 Item Lock Trevenants (XY) and one Break Point version, sorry should have been clearer on that.

I think some changes you consider hurts the consistency to get the T1 Trevenant Lock.
Trainers Mail and Battle Compressor are both here to ensure the first turn Trevenant lock with Wally.

You sure are right about the only 5 draw supporters, this is indeed insufficient.

I don't like the inclusion of level ball, since it only helps me to get out phantump and nothing else, I too don't like the inclusion of Fisherman, he just don't seems right in a Trevenant Deck, since you only need one energy and Dimension Valley to attack.

Weakness Policy will also be a dead card in most of the games I will play, there are just not that much dark types around and I too run Alakazam with psychic weakness to help against dark decks.

I will cut the 2 Super Scoop Ups for 1 Cassius (Cassius instead of AZ to preserve the Spirit Link) and 1 Judge like you suggested.
I will also cut one Trainers Mail for another Sycamore.

Have to test these changes, thank you again very much for your input!

How does your Deck work with the 1. turn Item Lock?

I have another Decklist with 4-4-3 Trevenant and 3 Wobuffet (no Shaymin at all) to ensure atleast one lock directly, I am testing this too, but currently this (Trevenant/Alakazam) version is my favorit.

I dont know if I agree with an Alakazam in any DL really. I get that basically after a Tree Slam attack it's a OHKO with M Alakazam, but I dont necessarilly feel that that is needed. Once you use his attack, you now left a 2 Prize card pokemon in the active position with item lock removed. I feel that Trevenant is and should be based around lock/stall. People are going to run Hex because of item locking pokemon, so that is what it is, but giving an opponent the possible advantage in the prize race by putting a 2 prize pokemon up instead of a 1 prize pokemon would put you at the disadvantage. I'd much rather tech Absol to be able to move the damage where I want it for multiple KO's in a turn.

I don't like the inclusion of level ball, since it only helps me to get out phantump and nothing else, I too don't like the inclusion of Fisherman, he just don't seems right in a Trevenant Deck, since you only need one energy and Dimension Valley to attack.
In my current Trevenant deck, the Level Ball is helpful to help me get the 'Tumps out faster. Since I run a bit more energy than your current 8, Fisherman is useful to me. Given your current Item engine and how you plan to "thin-out" your deck T1, your 5-3 energy mix may be the right combination. In my area, a opponent's T1 Item-lock is not unusual.

Weakness Policy will also be a dead card in most of the games I will play, there are just not that much dark types around and I too run Alakazam with psychic weakness to help against dark decks.
Dark decks are quite popular in my area and I expect a good number of players to run Turbo Darkrai decks at the upcoming Regional tournaments. Without Weakness Policy, I've found Dark deck match-ups to be near auto-losses.

How does your Deck work with the 1. turn Item Lock?
If an opponent does manage to Item-lock me T1, I have a few options:
  • If my opponent has a Vileplume in play, then I will respond with getting my Wobbuffet into the active position, if need be. I also run typically 9 card-draw Supporters in my deck. These help me still setup.
  • If my opponent has a Trevenant active, then playing either a Lysandre or Hex Maniac buys temporary relief to still setup.
Before the FAC M Alakazam EX, I also ran Trevenant-MGallade EX and Trevenant-Gengar EX decks. Those both had issues that M Alakazam EX seems to resolve at the moment.

I dont know if I agree with an Alakazam in any DL really.
This is a situation where I think M Alakazam EX should be used when you have a minimal response KO. In some games, Trevenant/Trevenant BREAK just can't inflict/spread sufficient damage to KO certain opponent's tanked Pokémon in a timely manner. So, having M Alkazam EX options in a "cleanup" role helps.

Last edited:
Back