Trubbish Toolbox

RE: Trubbish Toolbox - bad matchups in the meta

Why has nobody considered Mr. Mime? He'll protect your bench from any form of Snipe, namely Darkrai.

@Keeper of Night - You should try EXP Share instead of the Plasma Badge/Plasma Energy/Colress Machine play. It saves a LOT of space and is much more consistent.

Buckethead25 said:
Why has nobody considered Mr. Mime? He'll protect your bench from any form of Snipe, namely Darkrai.

@Keeper of Night - You should try EXP Share instead of the Plasma Badge/Plasma Energy/Colress Machine play. It saves a LOT of space and is much more consistent.

I like the idea of Mr. Mime, but I really don't know what you would take out for it.

Also, I don't play the Plasma Badge version, I was responding to another post about what kind of special energy could be played in this deck. I personally play 4 Exp. Share and all basic energy in my list.

When I was messing around with Darkrai/Hydreigon on PTCGO I came across someone with this Deck. And it looked way more interesting/fun than I expected it to be! :)

And I expect it has some deep thought involved in deciding how to macro-manage your Tools on each Pokemon.

But after a really close game (down to 1 Prize for opponent), I was able to win with Darkrai/Hydreigon, mostly because I was able to make use of a previously set-up Night Spear's Bench damage to take 2 Prizes by KO'ing a Benched Masquerain along with a Catchered Trubbish. My main saving grace was that even with 2 Sigilyphs and tons of Tools in play, he wasn't able to hit me with enough damage to OHKO my Darkrai, and I'd then Dark Trance/Max Potion hijinks and be ready to go. Had to sacrifice my Sableyes to grab instrumental Catchers/Potions, and my Absol was Benched so I couldn't OHKO the Sigilyph with an Eviolite, but it all worked out in the end... :p

Suffice to say, I'm totally gonna mess around with this Deck when I get the chance ^.^

This deck could be good in a different metagame however this format just isn't the place for it. Everyone right now is running tool scrapper. The only way I could ever see this deck working is with Sablye...For example:
Pokemon- 8
3 Sablye
3 Siglyph
2 Darkrai

camoclone said:
This deck could be good in a different metagame however this format just isn't the place for it. Everyone right now is running tool scrapper. The only way I could ever see this deck working is with Sablye...For example
Pokemon- 8
3 Sablye
3 Siglyph
2 Darkrai
With 16+ Tools in your Deck, Tool Scrapper isn't really gonna do all that much. The only situation I can see where it may become a problem, is if the opponent dedicates his Sableye to Junk Hunt 2x Scrapper instead of the usual, and thus getting rid of 4 Tools a turn..

camoclone said:
This deck could be good in a different metagame however this format just isn't the place for it. Everyone right now is running tool scrapper. The only way I could ever see this deck working is with Sablye...For example
Pokemon- 8
3 Sablye
3 Siglyph
2 Darkrai

Have you tried it yourself, or watched others playing it? It's a fantastic deck that can wreck Plasma if played correctly.
Tool Scrapper doesn't make a difference to this deck if you play Dowsing Machine. Losing 2 Tools is nothing when over a quarter of your deck is Tools.

*edit* ninja'd. My first point still stands though, this format is just as good a place as any other.

Ryan Sinclair said:
camoclone said:
Pokemon- 8
3 Sablye
3 Siglyph
2 Darkrai

Have you tried it yourself, or watched others playing it? It's a fantastic deck that can wreck Plasma if played correctly.
Tool Scrapper doesn't make a difference to this deck if you play Dowsing Machine. Losing 2 Tools is nothing when over a quarter of your deck is Tools.
Plasma plays enough tool scrapper where they can just discard everything. Dowsing machine is a 1-of as well. Not to mention this looses to a lot of other stuff. If a plasma variant plays 3 tool-scrapper then they will win. Literally everything one-shots this.

camoclone said:
Ryan Sinclair said:
Plasma plays enough tool scrapper where they can just discard everything. Dowsing machine is a 1-of as well. Not to mention this looses to a lot of other stuff. If a plasma variant plays 3 tool-scrapper then they will win. Literally everything one-shots this.

Plasma plays 4 Deoxys.
Trubbish needs a Silver Bangle attached and only TWO other Tools in play to one-shot Deoxys. Honestly, Plasma is no threat to Trubbish.

camoclone said:
Pokemon- 8
3 Sablye
3 Siglyph
2 Darkrai

Even with Tool Scrapper, this is a great format for Trubbish. Almost every deck plays a Tool of some kind, and every deck plays EXs. Trubbish can usually win the prize trade with any of our meta decks. And this deck should never be played with Sableye, it ruins consistency so badly. In regard to your other post, You shouldn't be letting your opponent play long enough to let 3 Tool Scrapper make any difference.

@Sheriff, I actually only play 15 Tools in my deck to keep it consistant. But regardless, 1-2 Tool Scrapper doesn't do a whole lot. And though some decks use 3, it doesn't matter when other decks use their own Tools to add to the damage output.

Btw, in recent testing, Darkrai/Garbodor is a hard matchup, but not close to being unwinnable. Blastoise/Keldeo is also difficult, but as long as you can OHKO Keldeo, you can usually take win the prize trade. Hydriegon is almost unwinnable. PlasmaBox and Genesect are very easy matchups though. Almost an instant win for me.

What Ace Spec. is everyone using? I prefer Computer Search for hen I need a Supporter or something important early game (when the deck is at its slowest) but have also been testing with Dowsing Machine. I don't prefer it over Computer Search, but it is another good option.

Ryan Sinclair said:
camoclone said:

Plasma plays 4 Deoxys.
Trubbish needs a Silver Bangle attached and only TWO other Tools in play to one-shot Deoxys. Honestly, Plasma is no threat to Trubbish.
Assuming you:
  • Don't get donked
  • Drop a Deoxys
  • Don't KO your Trubbish
I agree this deck beats plasma a little over 1/2 the time however it doesn't beat much else.

Keeper of Night said:
What Ace Spec. is everyone using? I prefer Computer Search for hen I need a Supporter or something important early game (when the deck is at its slowest) but have also been testing with Dowsing Machine. I don't prefer it over Computer Search, but it is another good option.

I'm playing Computer Search at the moment but I'm tempted to cross over to Dowsing Machine. I play three of each of the main tools (Mirror, Bangle, Stone, EXP Share, Eviolite) and one Reversal Trigger so my opponent refrains from touching Masquerain (even as a one-of, I've never not had it out and on Masquerain). Luckily at my local meta, no-one plays 3 Scrappers so I won't be making the change just yet.

Keeper of Night said:
camoclone said:
Pokemon- 8
3 Sablye
3 Siglyph
2 Darkrai

Even with Tool Scrapper, this is a great format for Trubbish. Almost every deck plays a Tool of some kind, and every deck plays EXs. Trubbish can usually win the prize trade with any of our meta decks. And this deck should never be played with Sableye, it ruins consistency so badly. In regard to your other post, You shouldn't be letting your opponent play long enough to let 3 Tool Scrapper make any difference.

@Sheriff, I actually only play 15 Tools in my deck to keep it consistant. But regardless, 1-2 Tool Scrapper doesn't do a whole lot. And though some decks use 3, it doesn't matter when other decks use their own Tools to add to the damage output.

Btw, in recent testing, Darkrai/Garbodor is a hard matchup, but not close to being unwinnable. Blastoise/Keldeo is also difficult, but as long as you can OHKO Keldeo, you can usually take win the prize trade. Hydriegon is almost unwinnable. PlasmaBox and Genesect are very easy matchups though. Almost an instant win for me.

-Plasma Runs bangle which they won't drop because they already 1-shot everything
-Darkrai runs Dark Claw which they won't drop because they already 1-shot everything
-Blastoise runs no tools
-VirGen runs 1...
-Garbodor runs this deck into the ground
What tools?

This deck is just too clunky to succeed.

camoclone said:
Ryan Sinclair said:
Plasma plays 4 Deoxys.
Assuming you:
  • Don't get donked
  • Drop a Deoxys
  • Don't KO your Trubbish
I agree this deck beats plasma a little over 1/2 the time however it doesn't beat much else.
  • With 10 Basics, donking is unlikely.
  • With 4 Deoxys, it's highly likely your opponent will have at least one out by the end of their T1.
  • The only thing I can think of that KO's Trubbish T1 is Deoxys + Laser. But since no-one will be playing Laser anymore...

camoclone said:
Keeper of Night said:

-Plasma Runs bangle which they won't drop because they already 1-shot everything
-Darkrai runs Dark Claw which they won't drop because they already 1-shot everything
-Blastoise runs no tools
-VirGen runs 1...
What tools?

Every deck plays Float Stone except Darkrai, which is another reason why it's Trubbish's worst matchup. And Float Stones are there for a reason, they will still be played.
Also VirGen plays Plasma Badge to hit off T1 Emerald Slash, not just G-Booster.

Trubbish Toolbox - bad matchups in the meta

Ryan Sinclair said:
camoclone said:
Assuming you:
  • Don't get donked
  • Drop a Deoxys
  • Don't KO your Trubbish
  • With 10 Basics, donking is unlikely.
  • With 4 Deoxys, it's highly likely your opponent will have at least one out by the end of their T1.
  • The only thing I can think of that KO's Trubbish T1 is Deoxys + Laser. But since no-one will be playing Laser anymore...

camoclone said:
-Blastoise runs no tools
-VirGen runs 1...
What tools?

Every deck plays Float Stone except Darkrai, which is another reason why it's Trubbish's worst matchup. And Float Stones are there for a reason, they will still be played.
Also VirGen plays Plasma Badge to hit off T1 Emerald Slash, not just G-Booster. Yes Genesect plays Plasma Badge.

Every deck does not play float stone...
You can plasma ball for a Deoxys too.

camoclone said:
How does Bangle help Plasma in this matchup? they have to be attacking an EX with Kyurem, which will never happen since this deck uses no EXs.
How is this relevant? I already said that Darkrai (Hydreigon in particular) is a hard matchup. It's resistence can be a pain, but it doesn't make it undefeatable.
-Blastoise runs no tools
Also already stated that this was a hard matchup.
-VirGen runs 1...
Not most builds I've seen. Running Plasma Badge let's them get T1 Emerald Slash (which doesn't OHKO Trubbish btw.0
Not really. Just shutting off Sigilyph and Masquerain is not enough to stop this deck. You can even Catcher Garbodor for the OHKO if you need to.
What tools?
Lot's of decks use: Silver Mirror, Silver Bangle, Float Stone, Plasma Badge, Exp. Share, and even G-Booster in Genesect.
Shhh... That's just what they want us to think. It honestly isn't clunky at all, and is actually a very fast deck with high damage output.

I really think you should test the deck before putting it down so easily.

Keeper of Night said:
camoclone said:
Shhh... That's just what they want us to think. It honestly isn't clunky at all, and is actually a very fast deck with high damage output.
I really think you should test the deck before putting it down so easily.
I agree with Keeper, this Deck is actually really fast and not at all clunky. In comparison, Darkrai/Garbodor is one of the clunkier Decks I've played... >_<

camoclone said:

3 Scrapper is rare. I see 2 most of the time if it plays Scrapper at all (which most do). With 4 Silver Mirror, I've found Plasma has a hard time keeping up.

Anyways, 3 Scrapper discards only 6 of 15-16 tools in the deck (not counting Dowsing Machine, which most builds run), leaving 10ish tools in the deck (IF they play all 3 Scrappers), which is enough to KO anything.

Yes, anything one-shots this. But this one-shots anything. And you give up 1 prize and hopefully be taking 2 every turn. Other non-EXs that can one-shot you take some setup (Kyurem either doesn't 1-shot or requires 3 energy to setup while not running Exp. Share; Blastoise is a Stage 2; etc.).

camoclone said:
Assuming you:
  • Don't get donked
  • Drop a Deoxys
  • Don't KO your Trubbish

Getting donked by Plasma? The most likely scenario I can think of is this:

• start with Surskit
  • go second
  • opponent starts with a Kyurem/has a Kyurem and a Float Stone/Switch in-hand
  • opponent has a Prism/Blend energy
  • opponent has a Colress Machine
  • opponent has a Deoxys EX
  • opponent has another Deoxys EX

or

• start with Sigilyph/Masquerain
  • go second
  • opponent starts with a Thundurus/has a Thundurus and a Float Stone/Switch in-hand
  • opponent has a Prism/Blend energy
  • opponent has a Deoxys EX
  • opponent has another Deoxys EX

...both of which are very unlikely.

Plasma very often drops a Deoxys EX (or several) to get OHKOs against Trubbish/Surskit with Frost Spear. If they don't, it's likely you'll be able to win the Trubbish/Kyurem trade anyways. Trubbish gets KO'd, but Silver Mirror can be a real pain for them (especially if you run 4 and play 1 at a time).

Test this deck. It's a lot easier to get OHKOs several turns in a row than you might expect. With a good build, there's a lot you can do.

----------------

Celebi23 said:
First of all, I'd consider cutting the 4th Sigilyph for a 3rd Surskit. Much safer and you'll never need more than one or two Sigilyph out at the same time anyway.

I actually played 1-1 Masquerain for a bit (not as good as 2-2, which I play now), but I never really had problems with it getting Catcher-KO'd. I tend to bring it out mid-game, and most of the time opponents are way too focused on Trubbish to be bothered with Surskit/Masquerain. I would rather they spend a turn KOing Masquerain than getting a Trubbish - it makes a constant stream of Trubbish just that much easier.

----------------

My only real beef with this deck is that it's very formulaic to build. 11 Pokémon, 10 energy, 16 Tools, 4 Catcher, 4 Level Ball, 1 Super Rod, 1 Dowsing Machine/Computer Search, and 13 draw/search Supporters/RR/Bicycle all seem to be standard within one card (aside from Plasma Badge builds). There's some maneuverability with the Tools and Supporter choices, but there's just no room for crazy techs or anything.

What tools do you guys all play? I have:

4x Exp Share
4x Silver Mirror
3x Silver Bangle
3x Float Stone
2x Rescue Scarf

I really don't like Eviolite - it doesn't really avoid the OHKOs and I'd much rather have the 4th Silver Mirror and Exp. Share. I can see why you'd run it in a Darkrai-heavy meta, though.

Reversal Trigger is too situational for me. Rescue Scarf is helpful for Trubbish and Sigilyph (which I play 3 of) rather than just Masquerain so I don't have to use Super Rod as early.

In Shiny Collection, there's a supporter called Elesa that lets you search for 3 tool cards, it'll probably be in Legendary Treasures too. Would that see some play in this deck?

No. Just run Tools and strong draw cards and you will usually get enough. The extremely specific supporters (Elesa and Cilan) just aren't good as they have very niche uses and generally aren't strong enough to be worth a Supporter use (Skyla is totally different since by fetching a Trainer you can also fetch a Pokemon, a basic Energy, and of course Trainers in general have very varied and useful effects).

Exactly. Not only does using Elesa mean you can't refresh that turn, but it also takes up some very valuable space in the deck. You could play a lower Tool count with 2 Elesa, but then the deck becomes even more susceptible to Scrapper.

Back