• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

"Typhlosion Starter" to "Class C" Fire/Electric Deck

bdubs216

Pokemon Explorer
Hey, all,
I started recollecting TCG cards starting with the HS Typhlosion starter deck, and I am interested in playing in tournaments. The strategy of this deck, and I want to keep it that way, is to get as much energy on my hand so i can build it up and unleash hell. I've modified the deck with whatever cards I've been getting, and would love to keep the balance of Fire/Electric. Noctowl and Ninetails are excellent assets to this team, but if there are better, I'm game.

I'm not looking for TOO hefty a do-over, but just enough to make me a challenge in the competitive ring.

THanks!!!

Class C:
1 Plusle HS Unleashed
2 Pikachu HS
1 Raichu HS Undaunted
3 Mareep HS
2 Flaaffy HS
3 Cyndaquil HS
2 Quilava HS
1 Typhlosion PPower HS
2 Growlithe HS
1 Arcanine HS
1 Vulpix HS
1 Ninetails Unleashed
2 Hoothoot HS
1 Noctowl HS

Trainers/Supporter-
1 Energy Switch HS
2 Pokemon Reversal HS
2 Switch HS
2 moomoo milk hs
2 Pokemon Communication HS
1 Pokemon Collector
2 Professor Oak's New Theory
2 Copycat HS
1 Interviewer's Questions

Energy-
1 Double Colorless Energy
14 Fire
7 Lightning

Hope you don't mind me move to Casual Deck Garage, as it is to avoid having posts from others asking you to add in competitive and expensive cards, knowing your collection is tight.

Mew Jadester said:
Hope you don't mind me move to Casual Deck Garage, as it is to avoid having posts from others asking you to add in competitive and expensive cards, knowing your collection is tight.

Thanks for the move.

I'm guessing that your using the Starter deck Typhlosion? With {R}{R}{C} for 120?

Well, Heres what I'd suggest you do, for a fairly cheap way of doing some cool things.

Focusing more on the Electric as a main attacker, I'm thinking you change that lineup to something more like this:

4-3-1 Raichu LV X (HS - UD (Prime) - SF)
4 Mareep HS
1 Rotom UD

Raichu X has the Pokebody of attacking twice on the turn it goes into play, Voltage Shoot (its own attack and one of the attacks of the Raichu below it. If You use Raichu Prime to level it up, it lets you bench snipe for 80, and hit the active for 120. Costly in energy ({L}{L}{C} on raichu, and {L}{L} in hand), but its likely, if not guaranteed, to net you 2 prizes, or at the very least cripple whatever you just hit.

4 Mareeps are your method of moving Energy around. If you can put two Mareeps down, as your active and on your bench, you can put the energy cost for Raichu Prime on the field quite quickly. His Pokepower will move them from the Mareep to him, preparing you for a quick KO.

Rotom, believe it or not, can add a fair bit of speed to the deck. By putting the top card of your deck into the prizes, you grab one of the ones already there. This makes for an Easy way of "Drawing" two cards each turn. He's also a way of easily sniping other decks that have high energy costs for there attacks.

On the Fire Lineup...How about this

2-1 Ninetales (PL [shiny or otherwise] - HS)
0-1 Ninetales UL
1-1-1 Typhlosion (HS-HS-HS)
1 Blaziken FB

And finally, some colourless

1-1 Noctowl
2 Girafarig HS

So, in summary, You have the Raichu line as your Main Attackers, Mareep as Energy Production early Game, Rotom, Ninetales HS and Noctowl as Extra Draw, Ninetales UL as Energy Production Late Game and Typhlosion Prime as your Late Attacker. Blaziken FB allows for Disruption to your opponent, by sending out mons like Uxie, Azelf, Bronzong G, Regice, Etc. Stuff that is unlikely to be able to attack, or has high retreat costs, which gives you space to Build up Electric Energy with your Mareeps. Girafarig can meet the discard cost for Raichu Lv X for 1 {C}, as well as increasing the strength of your position Early Game

Onto T/S/S

I recomend a Pair of Plamers Contributions, to recycle your Energy for the Late Game. All of your Main Attackers discard Energy, and without Energy in the deck, the Mareep engine is useless. Another Interviewer's Questions help out as well, by grabbing Fires from your Deck (and Electrics, obviously, but with an Active Mareep, those are more helpful in the Deck). I like Proffesor Oak's New Theory here, but not so much Copy Cat. I recomend dropping it for another two Pokemon Collector. With so much to search for, the more Collectors the better.

Super Scoop Up is something I highly Recomend, to resuse Raichu X's cripplings first play attack. A grand Total of 200 is massive, and something that is well worth doing twice.

Other Things you might want to use are Dusk, Quick and Luxury Ball. In terms of speeding through the deck, they are incredibly useful. Pokemon Communication also Comes to mind as a useful card, but I'm wary of adding Bebe's, since you already have 9 supporters, a ratio that has always worked out well for me.

So, T/S/S would look something like this

2 Palmer's Contribution
2 Interviewer's Questions
2 Proffessor Oak's New Theory
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Switch (or Warp Point)
3 Pokemon Communications
2 Pokemon Reversal
2 Super Scoop Up
1 Luxury Ball
1 Dusk Ball
1 Moomoo Milk

That leaves space for 14 energy, and I'd say the best Ratio would be 9 {L} and 5 {R}

I hope that this doesn't seem too far away from your original list, as you did say you didn't want a complete overhaul, and I tried my best to keep this as keep as possible without sacrificing consistency. Regardless, this list gives you the chance to put tremendous amounts of pressure onto an Opponent.

And with that, I leave you to your thoughts

hmm,

3-2-2 Typhlosion prime
/-/-1 Typhlosion HGSS
2-1-2 Ampharos prime
2-2 Ninetales HGSS
3 Minum UL

Typhlosion prime and Ampharos prime have some synergy: Typhlosion prime gets rid of energy attached to the defending and if try and attach more energy onto pokemon while Ampharos prime is on the bench then they take 20 dmg. Or if you don't want Typhlosion prime as an attacker then make it 2 Typhlosion HGSS and 1 Typhlosion prime.

I've kept the deck within your desired theme. However there are a few key trainers/supporters you're go to need
4 Rare Candy
4 Bebe's Search
3 Pokemon Collector
1 Palmer's Contribution

Pokemon Collector and Bebe's Search help you search out pokemon, Rare Candy allows you to evolve your pokemon faster and Palmer's Contribution is to help your recover pokemon and energy.

Rotom, believe it or not, can add a fair bit of speed to the deck. By putting the top card of your deck into the prizes, you grab one of the ones already there. This makes for an Easy way of "Drawing" two cards each turn. He's also a way of easily sniping other decks that have high energy costs for there attacks.

Rotom swap the top card of your deck with a prize card, you don't draw anything with it. You're just changing the card on top of your deck that you don't know for a prize that you don't know either, making it nearly impossible to know if the trade is worth it.

vareki said:
I'm guessing that your using the Starter deck Typhlosion? With {R}{R}{C} for 120?

Well, Heres what I'd suggest you do, for a fairly cheap way of doing some cool things.

Focusing more on the Electric as a main attacker, I'm thinking you change that lineup to something more like this:

4-3-1 Raichu LV X (HS - UD (Prime) - SF)
4 Mareep HS
1 Rotom UD

Raichu X has the Pokebody of attacking twice on the turn it goes into play, Voltage Shoot (its own attack and one of the attacks of the Raichu below it. If You use Raichu Prime to level it up, it lets you bench snipe for 80, and hit the active for 120. Costly in energy ({L}{L}{C} on raichu, and {L}{L} in hand), but its likely, if not guaranteed, to net you 2 prizes, or at the very least cripple whatever you just hit.

4 Mareeps are your method of moving Energy around. If you can put two Mareeps down, as your active and on your bench, you can put the energy cost for Raichu Prime on the field quite quickly. His Pokepower will move them from the Mareep to him, preparing you for a quick KO.

On the Fire Lineup...How about this

2-1 Ninetales (PL [shiny or otherwise] - HS)
0-1 Ninetales UL
1-1-1 Typhlosion (HS-HS-HS)
1 Blaziken FB

And finally, some colourless

1-1 Noctowl
2 Girafarig HS

So, in summary, You have the Raichu line as your Main Attackers, Mareep as Energy Production early Game, Rotom, Ninetales HS and Noctowl as Extra Draw, Ninetales UL as Energy Production Late Game and Typhlosion Prime as your Late Attacker. Blaziken FB allows for Disruption to your opponent, by sending out mons like Uxie, Azelf, Bronzong G, Regice, Etc. Stuff that is unlikely to be able to attack, or has high retreat costs, which gives you space to Build up Electric Energy with your Mareeps. Girafarig can meet the discard cost for Raichu Lv X for 1 {C}, as well as increasing the strength of your position Early Game

Onto T/S/S

I recomend a Pair of Plamers Contributions, to recycle your Energy for the Late Game. All of your Main Attackers discard Energy, and without Energy in the deck, the Mareep engine is useless. Another Interviewer's Questions help out as well, by grabbing Fires from your Deck (and Electrics, obviously, but with an Active Mareep, those are more helpful in the Deck). I like Proffesor Oak's New Theory here, but not so much Copy Cat. I recomend dropping it for another two Pokemon Collector. With so much to search for, the more Collectors the better.

Super Scoop Up is something I highly Recomend, to resuse Raichu X's cripplings first play attack. A grand Total of 200 is massive, and something that is well worth doing twice.

Other Things you might want to use are Dusk, Quick and Luxury Ball. In terms of speeding through the deck, they are incredibly useful. Pokemon Communication also Comes to mind as a useful card, but I'm wary of adding Bebe's, since you already have 9 supporters, a ratio that has always worked out well for me.

So, T/S/S would look something like this

2 Palmer's Contribution
2 Interviewer's Questions
2 Proffessor Oak's New Theory
3 Pokemon Collector
2 Switch (or Warp Point)
3 Pokemon Communications
2 Pokemon Reversal
2 Super Scoop Up
1 Luxury Ball
1 Dusk Ball
1 Moomoo Milk

That leaves space for 14 energy, and I'd say the best Ratio would be 9 {L} and 5 {R}

I hope that this doesn't seem too far away from your original list, as you did say you didn't want a complete overhaul, and I tried my best to keep this as keep as possible without sacrificing consistency. Regardless, this list gives you the chance to put tremendous amounts of pressure onto an Opponent.

And with that, I leave you to your thoughts

Thanks for the suggestion. Is that really enough energy cards, because on average i try to keep space for about 10-10. I like the use of both ninetales, and I never knew that Blaziken was available as a basic. This looks like a solid update on the deck, but my one question is Rotom. Also, for Typhlosion, are you saying 1 cyndaquil, 1 quilava, 1 typhlosion HS?

Thanks.

Crimson said:
Rotom swap the top card of your deck with a prize card, you don't draw anything with it. You're just changing the card on top of your deck that you don't know for a prize that you don't know either, making it nearly impossible to know if the trade is worth it.

So? Your decreasing your deck count by one, and adding another card to your hand. In terms of wether its worth it or not to toss a decked card for a prize, itsfunctionally irrelevant. You might have all your good cards decked, you may have them prized, but in the end cards are good. Increasing your hand size by two cards a turn is pretty decent, especially when the card you just prized can be retrieved next turn, and so on to infinatum, means that you aren't losing any of the options you'd have had before hand (barring the last card in your deck, of course:D)

Dont just take my word for it, of course, try it for yourself. It could be the next big thing, it could flop, who knows?

bdubs216 said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Is that really enough energy cards, because on average i try to keep space for about 10-10. I like the use of both ninetales, and I never knew that Blaziken was available as a basic. This looks like a solid update on the deck, but my one question is Rotom. Also, for Typhlosion, are you saying 1 cyndaquil, 1 quilava, 1 typhlosion HS?

Thanks.

Originally, I made sure for a 20-20-20 balance of my decks, but I quickly found that it was unneccesary. Outside of Feraligatr Prime decks, I'd say you could easily get along with anywhere between 9-12. 14 is pretty tight for an Energy Intensive deck like this, but it meets the requirements right enough. Overall though, it depends on how it tests. Somethings it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Yeah, Blaziken FB is pretty good. I believe a semi-meta deck uses him and Luxray GL X to ridicoulous Extremes of Bench Shuffling. His own Level X plays a part, probably as a heavy hitter.

See Above for Rotom.

I envisioned Typhlosion HS as a Back up attacker in this build, more to help mop up after Raichu decimates the opponent. That Both your Main Attackers hit for 120 means that there wont be many that can satifactoryily tank their ways out of there. For those that can, or manage to knockout one, theres Ninetales UL to load Typhlosion and then a systematic Knockout blow from that fire hedgehog thing (I love it so :p)

bdubs216 said:

Thanks.

hey i was new to pokemon battleing in february this year. i come here and made a few decklists and usually used about 20 energyies per deck about 10 of each.

i was baffled when people told me to cut it down to 10-15 energies. and about 20-25 trainers i was confused.

but now 8 months later i get it. i use around 14 energies per deck 20-30 trainers by deck.

as long as you have the right trainers and supporters getting hold of energies really isnt hard
also no need to worry about discarding them cause theres "fisherman" which lets you get 4 energy from your discard pile to your hand

also now to make energies even more usefull to me i never make dual type decks anymore. i stick to one type. if i have a pokemon that requires a different type i put in multi / rainbow energies. or maybe 1-3 of the other enrgy type.

i have 14 decks. and i only have 2 dual type decks
a kyogre groudon legend deck though its all rock pokemon with 4 water energy.

and an arceus deck. which has 7 energy types. (a tricky deck to make and manage, but it works wonders if set up right)

I really don't understand your suggestions. you give me all these great evos, but no basics. except for mareep. isn't this deck unplayable?

It's very confusing. When they say

4-3-1 Raichu LV.X
that means
4 Pikachu, 3 Raichu, 1 Raichu LV.X. You catching on? Same with Noctowl
1-1 means
1 Hoothoot 1 Noctowl. In the competitive world, people say this to make it more organized and quicker to type. I would go ahead and do all the suggestions listed above.

So? Your decreasing your deck count by one, and adding another card to your hand. In terms of wether its worth it or not to toss a decked card for a prize, itsfunctionally irrelevant. You might have all your good cards decked, you may have them prized, but in the end cards are good. Increasing your hand size by two cards a turn is pretty decent, especially when the card you just prized can be retrieved next turn, and so on to infinatum, means that you aren't losing any of the options you'd have had before hand (barring the last card in your deck, of courseBig Grin)

What? I still don't get it, no card ends up in your hand with rotom and you are not thining your deck since you replace the card by a prize.

What, really? Let me check that...Oh

Well...

My apologises Crimson, I completely misread Rotom UD's text, making me see it as being much, much better than it actually is.

Back