US spring Battle Road results discussion

27th_wonder

pegasus boots: hyrule's finest and fastest
http://thetopcut.net/2012/06/07/us-spring-battle-road-results/

highlights include: darkrai overtaking ZekEels as most played deck theme and over taking mewtwo EX as the most played card, CMT/Solo fighting hold their positions as 3rd and 4th best decks in the format. Oh, and lugia legend has won 2 events. somehow.

I think we can all agree, this is one of the most varied formats in recent years, but also one of the most confident. based on the top 8 decks listed, only CMT and durant stand to suffer at rotation in September.

so what do you guys think of those results? for the EU/non-US players, how does this affect what you will be playing in your nationals/battle roads in the next few weeks?

This is definitely not a varied format. There are only three competitive decks, and one of them is questionable.

CMT isn't great now because Darkrai takes 2-3 prizes every other turn.

This format isn't varied, but does allow cool rogues.

If you want to win, which most players do, you can pretty much only play 2 decks and expect to do well. ZekEels and Darkrai box. Mostly Darkrai. The speed of it is insane and it's hard to take down.

I've been reading the Nats reports from other countries and except for one deck, all of the winners I've seen were something with Darkrai.

EDIT: PS: This isn't a varied format. 2 decks that do really well = varied.

sorry, when I said varied, I meant that "cool rogues" had taken BR wins, instead of just the top tier decks.

so yes, zekeels and darkrai are the best decks in format, but they are not the only decks in the format, and not the only ones who can win BR. look at lugia legend for a minute

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_slCiuO_Y4g[/video]

she donks a darkrai EX. surely that's worth noticing, right?

I was just trying to say that you don't have to play the main decks to win and that going rogue may give you the edge. The meta is more diverse. no where near the levels of when claydol SF was legal, but still they are higher than they have been in a long time.

just keep an open mind... ok?

Don't forget about Klinklang varients, people! It is definitely slower than most decks, but once set up, it is practically invincible. I came in 2nd at my BRs (lost to Zekeels) with my Klinklang varient, which I properly named Kyuklang (Kyurem-EX + Klinklang + Attackers). It is also a lot fo fun to play, unlike the Tier 1 decks.

27th_wonder said:
sorry, when I said varied, I meant that "cool rogues" had taken BR wins, instead of just the top tier decks.

so yes, zekeels and darkrai are the best decks in format, but they are not the only decks in the format, and not the only ones who can win BR. look at lugia legend for a minute

No one in their right mind should bring decks like Lugia LEGEND (or any other fun Battle Roads deck) to Nationals or something. Something weird winning a few BR's does not mean that a format is varied, since that generally makes no impact.

Futachimaru said:
No one in their right mind should bring decks like Lugia LEGEND (or any other fun Battle Roads deck) to Nationals or something. Something weird winning a few BR's does not mean that a format is varied, since that generally makes no impact.

Don't dis on random decks, a deck that isn't a meta deck can win major events. I beat both Darkrai/Tornadus and Zekeels everytime I face them and my deck is considered rogue. Zekeels and Darkrai/Tornadus aren't the BDIF's like everyone thinks they are.

Emopanda133 said:
Don't dis on random decks, a deck that isn't a meta deck can win major events. I beat both Darkrai/Tornadus and Zekeels everytime I face them and my deck is considered rogue. Zekeels and Darkrai/Tornadus aren't the BDIF's like everyone thinks they are.

Well they are... They definitely are the BDIF's. There isn't even a question. Does that mean that they're the best play for a tournament? Not necessarily. However, I would not bring Lugia or KlingKlang to nationals. KlinkKlang autoloses to Sableye/Hammers and Lugia is NOT consistent enough to make it through that many rounds. In a small tournament like BR's or Citys, those decks are good choices since there is a lower chance of running into an auto loss since there are less rounds.

Cinema said:
Well they are... They definitely are the BDIF's. There isn't even a question. Does that mean that they're the best play for a tournament? Not necessarily. However, I would not bring Lugia or KlingKlang to nationals. KlinkKlang autoloses to Sableye/Hammers and Lugia is NOT consistent enough to make it through that many rounds. In a small tournament like BR's or Citys, those decks are good choices since there is a lower chance of running into an auto loss since there are less rounds.

I'm not saying Klinklang and Luiga are good decks to bring to nationals, personally, I don't like either deck, Luiga, seems like it would be a horrible deck unless you hit the right setup (I've only seen two games from it, one was no chance of winning, the other inched out a win) and Klinklang, I just don't like period.

The BDIF's are just like Tetrakion, when it first showed up, no one knew what to do, now everyone found out how to counter it, so it lost all it's power. T.M.T.Eels (Thunderus, Tornadus (both), Mewtwo EX, Eels) Is amazing against Darkrai/Tornadus, though it struggles against Zekeels. SpeedPhan (or DMRH as I like to call it) is amazing against both BDIF's (I've never lost to Darkrai/Tornadus, but lost to Zekeels a few times due to misplays), but stuggles against Empoleon/Terrakion which gets owned by both BDIF's. There is a way around every BDIF, you just have to find it.

Emopanda133 said:
I'm not saying Klinklang and Luiga are good decks to bring to nationals, personally, I don't like either deck, Luiga, seems like it would be a horrible deck unless you hit the right setup (I've only seen two games from it, one was no chance of winning, the other inched out a win) and Klinklang, I just don't like period.

The BDIF's are just like Tetrakion, when it first showed up, no one knew what to do, now everyone found out how to counter it, so it lost all it's power. T.M.T.Eels (Thunderus, Tornadus (both), Mewtwo EX, Eels) Is amazing against Darkrai/Tornadus, though it struggles against Zekeels. SpeedPhan (or DMRH as I like to call it) is amazing against both BDIF's (I've never lost to Darkrai/Tornadus, but lost to Zekeels a few times due to misplays), but stuggles against Empoleon/Terrakion which gets owned by both BDIF's. There is a way around every BDIF, you just have to find it.

I have to disagree with the first point you made about ZekEels and Darkrai. They are fundamentally good decks, and people may not know exactly how to counter Dakrai, but ZekEels has been out for a long time and Terrakion is an established counter. However, it's still seeing a good amount of success.

Cinema said:
I have to disagree with the first point you made about ZekEels and Darkrai. They are fundamentally good decks, and people may not know exactly how to counter Dakrai, but ZekEels has been out for a long time and Terrakion is an established counter. However, it's still seeing a good amount of success.

Terrakion is losing it's creditability as a Zekeels counter. First people started using Mewtwo EX and Tornadus to get around it, now Tornadus EX has become a counter. Now most Terrakion vs. Zekeels matches end with Zekeels winning.

As for my statement, yes, they are good decks, they have incredible fast builds and sustain themselves the whole way through the match, but they are not perfect. There will always be a deck better than them, and another deck better than that one etc.

As I said in my last post, I have never lost to Darkrai EX/Tornadus EX. Do I think that Donphan/Mewtwo EX/Rocky Helmet is the Absolute counter to it, yes and no. Yes because it's a powerhouse deck that doesn't require you to avoid anything or focus on anything, but no because there is a way to beat my deck with Darkrai/Tornadus, though it's very costly and is an auto-loss if done wrong.

Emopanda133 said:
As for my statement, yes, they are good decks, they have incredible fast builds and sustain themselves the whole way through the match, but they are not perfect. There will always be a deck better than them, and another deck better than that one etc.

No deck is perfect. I wasn't playing competitively back then, but I imagine even Plox or Empozong had their own faults back when they were in season, and if I recall correctly, they were considered "BDIF".

If I knew the meta of that time I'm sure there was troll decks to counter those ones too but I wasn't playing then either.

Emopanda133 said:
The BDIF's are just like Tetrakion, when it first showed up, no one knew what to do, now everyone found out how to counter it, so it lost all it's power.

Terrakion was never good, and definitely not BDIF. It's just that a lot people never learned how to play against it.

Terrakion won states all over the place...in the beginning, after a few states, Terrakion started losing because it lost it's surprise. It was a good deck, far from BDIF, but had it's moments, but when it's moment was lost, it turned into a Tier 2 deck.

I remember it winning a few actually. That's why is was considered a meta deck, where as mine (not mine personally, but same deck) DMRH took one and wasn't mentioned at all. It was considered a coincidence.

Back