Pokemon Variations on Pokemon pronunciation...

Should I do the 2nd 3rd and 4th generations?

• Yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters
Oh, it's definitely Pokémon with a hard "ke" sound. The accent mark over the e is proof of that.

Plus considering it's a contraction. Then again what sounds stupid or not... that's defeinitely up to us.

GraveTheUndead said:
I usually pronounce it Gah-ra-dos. There are some pronounciations that make no sense out there, like people calling Buizel (Boo-zel)

i pronounce it [gare-a-dose]

I say Gai-ara-dos. There's a Y in its name for a reason, after all.

Also, I pronounce Fearow "Fee-row". That's the only logical pronunciation I've ever heard.

I still think "Are-see-us" sounds better than "Ark-e-us". It was person on Pokemon USA's part to screw it up like that by calling it "Ark-e-us" instead of "Are-see-us".

I'm going to leave this open in case anyone else wants an opinion on the pronounciation. Plus, there are more Gens to do.

dmaster out.

Lieutenant Houndoom said:
Oh, it's definitely Pokémon with a hard "ke" sound. The accent mark over the e is proof of that.

Plus considering it's a contraction. Then again what sounds stupid or not... that's defeinitely up to us.

Pokemon with the hard 'ke' is wrong. If you listen closer to how the Japanese say it you'll find its either 'po-keht-tu mon-sh-ta'(Pocket Monsters) or 'po-keh-moh-n' the only reasons the accent mark is on the 'e' is because the people who translated Pokemon probably mistook the 'keh' for a 'kay' or they where trying to make it easier for some regions to pronounce it, e.g. USA.

Some people pronounce Rayquaza, Ray-cway-zay. Since when is Ray crazy?! Also some people pronounce Arceus, Are-soos.But how do you say Entei? Everyone in my family confused me on that one.

You should add accent marks. It is very important to understand saying a name. Like so:

Exeggutor (Ex - 'egg - you - torr)
Dodrio (Doe - 'dree - oh)
Diglett ('Dig - let)

I want to note that Squirtles Pronunciation has changed from something like Skwer-tall to Skwer-tul.

I could make a more in-depth guide, including Japanese pronunciations.
Oh, and Pidgeotto is Pi(d)-gee-oh-toh.

I never liked how the anouncer from pokemon staduim always said "Oh! It's CHAR-EE-ZARD!!" instead of CHAR-IZ-ARD.

I say EEvA and Youmbreon instead of Eevee and Umbreon. I sometimes like to mix it up with pokemon pronounciation!

I'm surprised Rattata hasn't made the list yet.

Is it (ruh-TAT-a) or (RAT-a-ta)? Because I prefer the latter.

There are variations, yes, but I'm not sure if all of those variations could be deemed acceptable.
Myself, I did a small project for myself to analyze the etymology of the names of all 493 Pokemon, and then decided where to go from there. (I've saved it in a PM; if ever I want to reveal it to the public again, I'll make a new topic.)

Arceus is one of those names that cause a lot of debate, but since the English name comes pretty much directly from the Japanese (Aruseusu), I say 'AR-see-us', regardless of what others say. (On that same note I also say 'reh-jee-ICE', and not 'rej-ice', due to his name also directly from the Japanese, 'Rejiaisu'.) Other things I say because I'm used to them, or because there are alternate possibilities (for example, I am one of the few people that pronounces Sceptile 'SKEP-tile', as I draw my etymology there from 'skeptic' and not 'scepter'. (But I list all the possibilities in my project, so I let people decide for themselves.)

...I'm not sure why that ended up in sounding like me bragging. I'll end it on a lighter note.
Right now I say 'GAH-ruh-dose', but I probably should be saying 'GYA-rah-dose'. Also, 'VILL-uh-plume' instead of 'VILE-plume' is by no means acceptable :eek:

Edit: In regards to Rattata, I prefer the latter.

Back