Well, I'm going to start playing TCG...

superpokemon67

Aspiring Trainer
Hello! Some of you might know me from the VG section of the website, but I decided I'm going to try getting into the TCG. I need a couple questions answered though.

1. What's the popular deck styles in play, and what's a good noobie deck? I know the TCG rules, but that's about it and I don't know much about the new cards.

2. What's the average deck cost? I'll only be playing online until I have enough for a good deck, but how much will one run me?

3. What's a good tool for playing the TCG online and testing decks? I know Pokebeach has Redshark, but I want to know my options.

Thank you!

1. I recommend The Deck(list) Out, it has a list of all/most tournament viable decks in the format and very well written articles on all the decks. (Well written otherwise but in terms of grammar that is. xD)
2. Reshiram/Thyplosion is the cheapest real tournamet deck, Durant is cheap too but I don't recommend it for beginners at all because it is very different than most decks. I don't know how much it costs exactly.
3. I started using playtcg.me, I find it better than Reshark and Redshark is in my opinion confusing. In TCG Online you have to buy boosters etc. for getting cards so that will probably be a problem at the beginning.

1) A good Newbie deck, would probably be Volbeat/Illumise. It is playable, its is semi-beginer, but its not going to win you very much. If you'd like a little more advanced of a deck, but still cheap and very good, I'd go with Reshiphlosion.

2) The cheapest deck in the format at the moment is Reshiphlosion which should run you a little less than 100$ (Correct me if I'm wrong).

3) PlayTCG.com There's also a guide on how to use it as a sticky thread in the Online Playtesting Forum.

Edit: My apologies, Celebi23

I recommend Durant for a very cheap and competitive deck. It requires virtually no setup, and very little strategic playing, yet it's a lot of fun to play and VERY competitive.

Durant is 50 cents each, although getting all the trainers gets more expensive. Reshiphlosion has already been mentioned, and it's good if you don't want Durant. It's nowhere near as cheap as Durant, though.

Darkvoid57, the sticky is in Online Playtesting, not Competitive Collective.

Ok. I was looking through my cards, and I already have a DCE and Zekrom. I'm going to test around, but is a Zekrom deck good for begginers?

superpokemon67 said:
Ok. I was looking through my cards, and I already have a DCE and Zekrom. I'm going to test around, but is a Zekrom deck good for begginers?

Zekrom is a pretty expensive deck to build. It's very good, but Pachirisu's (A staple in that deck, which you need 2-3 of) cost 30$ a piece. And that's just 2-3 cards out of the deck. It also has a semi-complicated strategy, but its easy to pick up once you see it in play a couple of times.

Darkvoid57 said:
Zekrom is a pretty expensive deck to build. It's very good, but Pachirisu's (A staple in that deck, which you need 2-3 of) cost 30$ a piece. And that's just 2-3 cards out of the deck. It also has a semi-complicated strategy, but its easy to pick up once you see it in play a couple of times.

Holy crap, 30$!?! I'll go with something else.

superpokemon67 said:
Holy crap, 30$!?! I'll go with something else.

I run a Zekrom deck without the unorignality of netdecking and that silly little Pachirisu. :rolleyes:

Don't worry about it, build a deck of what you like, something you're confident with playing, around here I've noticed people try to cram expensive cards in people's faces saying "You need this if you want to win" when half the time they really don't win. I can tell you're someone who really doesn't want to start competitive, and just work your way up with things you like, and your own tactics. Zekrom isn't too pricey, I mean hey, you can get it, it's supports, and everything else, anywhere nowadays. If you like Zekrom or using it, don't let some overrated squirrel stop ya. Afterall, the point of this is to welcome you to the game, not turn you away from it. RIGHT GUYS? You know, cause people play for FUN too?

Celebi23 said:
I recommend Durant for a very cheap and competitive deck. It requires virtually no setup, and very little strategic playing, yet it's a lot of fun to play and VERY competitive.
I would not recommend Durant to a new player since it is so different. Playing Reshiram/Typhlosion teaches more about the TCG in general and if you don't know how general decks work it's harder to play against them.

Teal said:
I would not recommend Durant to a new player since it is so different. Playing Reshiram/Typhlosion teaches more about the TCG in general and if you don't know how general decks work it's harder to play against them.
Durant plays the same in every matchup, though.

Just because it's got a somewhat different attack does not mean it's a complicated deck. It's the most simple deck to play.

After you get the hang of that, you can move on to setup-based decks.

Lol, everyone ignored Gravetheundead. But yes, Reshiphlosion is the way to go. I also think Durant's good, but it might mess you up with other decks because its style of play is very unique. Reshiphlosion should cost under 100$, especially if you go all promos. You can sell Zekrom for some dough to help you out.

Depends on if it's the FA version or not. It goes for around 5 if it's normal, and around 11 if it's FA. DCE also sells for a good 4-5 dollars if it's not the league promo one. It won't be enough for you to buy Reshiphlosion.

ehhh, my Zek is just normal. I think I'll test both Durant and Reshiplosion. Thank you all! I'm still open to suggestions as well.

Reshiphlosion is best. If you're not looking to spend money, then you're not looking to do well in the TCG. It's very sad, but it is the truth. Reshiphlosion is definitely the best play. Also promo Zekrom's are very cheap.

Celebi23 said:
Durant plays the same in every matchup, though.

Just because it's got a somewhat different attack does not mean it's a complicated deck. It's the most simple deck to play.

After you get the hang of that, you can move on to setup-based decks.
I know it's simple! I never said it isn't. Read my post again please.
Teal said:

But yeah OP, feel free to test both. Just be sure to test a normal deck like Reshiplosion too.

Back