Discussion What Are You Playing Right Now?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Let’s share a little what Pokémon game we are playing right now. Might give some inspiration to others on what to do next after finishing Pokémon Sword and Shield. Whether you are playing a main game series or a spin off or both, that’s ok. If you play a main series game for example, it would be interesting also to hear where you are in the game / what kind of play through it is in case it’s something outside of just playing the game as is or generally what happened lately in your play.

As for me, I am revisiting my Soul Silver game. I got stuck in the Voltorb game for the past few hours trying to get as many coins. I also just figured out how this game was always one of my top but I do see a lot of flaws in it which I might elaborate on in another thread or something.

what about you? Let’s discuss and start refreshing this sub forum and get it back to its former glory :]

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I've been thinking of starting Platinum back up, I remember it was one of my favourites as a kid except for the whole Mt. Coronet hike. These past few years my go-tos have been the GBA games so I think it'd be nice to try something else.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I've been on-and-off soft resetting for Shiny Ho-Oh in HGSS. I have a few legends I plan on doing it with just out of inspiration from a few successful hunts in FRLG. In terms of what I'm GOING to be playing though, likely Platinum but I couldn't say. I have such a backlog right now that I'm trying to catch up on that Pokemon is sort of on the back-burner, lol.

I've been thinking of starting Platinum back up, I remember it was one of my favourites as a kid except for the whole Mt. Coronet hike. These past few years my go-tos have been the GBA games so I think it'd be nice to try something else.
I might be biased since Platinum is in my top three in the series (it's about tied with Gen 5's games, any of those you could say are my favorite), but I think Platinum is always a great choice for a game in the series to go back to-It's got a really good replay value in the variety the Pokedex has alone.

Vom

livin' in a lonely world
Forum Mod
I might be biased since Platinum is in my top three in the series (it's about tied with Gen 5's games, any of those you could say are my favorite), but I think Platinum is always a great choice for a game in the series to go back to-It's got a really good replay value in the variety the Pokedex has alone.
Yeah, I especially love the storyline the gen 5 games have. The only problem I have replaying games is that I'm super competitive and running anything less than optimal always irks me in the back of my mind, so the vast majority of the time I end up with (mostly) the same teams lol. The one exception to this are the aforementioned gen 3 games - grown up me has a MUCH better understanding of Pokémon (and English) than kid me could ever hope to achieve.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Yeah, I especially love the storyline the gen 5 games have. The only problem I have replaying games is that I'm super competitive and running anything less than optimal always irks me in the back of my mind, so the vast majority of the time I end up with (mostly) the same teams lol. The one exception to this are the aforementioned gen 3 games - grown up me has a MUCH better understanding of Pokémon (and English) than kid me could ever hope to achieve.
My whole thing is trying a completely new team every time, but optimizing that as much as I can in the given situation (i.e. I'm not going to make it hyper-competitive but I'll boost their stats and give them movesets that make sense for what I want out of a Pokemon, such as building a bulky Seismitoad who wouldn't ever die in my most recent White nuzlocke). The issue is, I've played gen 4 and 5 so many times I'm nearly out of Pokemon to use, so I'm likely going to have to either start doing repeats soon or using Pokemon from different generations in a team (For the most part, I like to try having all of them be from the same generation because I enjoyed the way BW did things), but it's completely fine with me. Some of these guys I haven't used in 4-5 years so I can afford some repeats.

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer
I like it, it's sun and moon but fixes some stuff, like some cutscenes arent as long (especially the starter one), it goes more in depth about necrozma and the ultra beasts, has more pokemon in regional dex, etc.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Actually never got to play ultra. I heard many saying it’s not a good game. But if you bought an extra one it seems you feel differently.
USUM I feel is Sun and Moon done (mostly) right. While gen 7 is far from perfect I think the larger Pokedex, greater amount of content and more challenging campaign makes it a decent enough game in the series. The change in Wonder Trading where you don't have to launch it every time (it just brings you back to "Would you like to start a wonder trade?") is also a pretty great change. That and what @SableyeGuy said too.

It's all at the expense of a slightly better but not-that-great-anyways plot that normal Sun and Moon had, as some parts are a little bit different in USUM's plot, mainly the climax. (I didn't really care at all for the plot in vanilla SM, I know some people say it's the greatest story the series has ever told but I wasn't seeing it).

I can say for sure though that out of the last few games (Sun and Moon through Sword and Shield) it's probably the most fun one along with Let's Go which is a fun little romp with shiny hunts and whatnot. It's definitely more of a full experience than Sword and Shield is. Should the game have been DLC which just added the Necrozma plot and Hard Mode? Yeah. But it's good on it's own regardless.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Hard Mode?

Ha. I didn't know there was a hard mode...

Perhaps in the future I'll buy this game unless Pokemon surprises with a new good game this time.

Off to face Morty with my Slowpoke. This should be fun.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I've just started a new run on Shield, I really wanna do another monotype run but I have no inspiration for which type to go for (I've already done a mono Bug run), if anyone has any suggestions then I would be grateful lol.
I've also been playing through Let's Go Eevee, and even though I wasn't really impressed by the premise of the game tbh, I'm actually enjoying it a fair bit.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
I've just started a new run on Shield, I really wanna do another monotype run but I have no inspiration for which type to go for (I've already done a mono Bug run), if anyone has any suggestions then I would be grateful lol.
I've also been playing through Let's Go Eevee, and even though I wasn't really impressed by the premise of the game tbh, I'm actually enjoying it a fair bit.

I was just thinking about doing a mono type run too! Never done one in my life and I think it can be really interesting. I guess I’ll just go with one of my favorite types.. unless it’s not common throughout the game or something. Like.. not Fire in Pokémon DP

SableyeGuy

Aspiring Trainer

Perhaps in the future I'll buy this game unless Pokemon surprises with a new good game this time.

Nah, there is no hard mode. AshCo was just being a boomer because pokemon games are too easy.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I was just thinking about doing a mono type run too! Never done one in my life and I think it can be really interesting. I guess I’ll just go with one of my favorite types.. unless it’s not common throughout the game or something. Like.. not Fire in Pokémon DP

I hadn't done for a while before my Shield Bug run, I think I did a string of them in Gen.5 and then a mono Fairy run in XY and that was it. It can be really fun, although like you said, the type picked should be somewhat common - I remember picking my Bug team and there were quite a few options. I ended up using Orbeetle, Crustle, Galvantula, Araquanid, Centiskorch and Frosmoth, and that was after whittling down from a bigger list, but I definitely think it should a type that you have enough options that you're not limited to 6 specific mons (or potentially less, like you said with Fire in D/P) or something.
I've also been debating doing a 'randomised run', where I basically randomly pick 6 mons from the regional dex of whichever game is chosen, I think that could make for an interesting run as well.

Scoop

Literally a sheep

No hard mode like some have said but some of the totem battles and Ultra Necrozma's fight can really mess you up if you're either not prepared or don't cheese some of them. I appreciated that they actually kept to their promise when developing it-they mentioned something about having to use actual strategy rather than being on autopilot (most of the time). Granted, I did deliberately turn off EXP share, someone I got the game for used it to blow through it and she did rather easy.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
No hard mode like some have said but some of the totem battles and Ultra Necrozma's fight can really mess you up if you're either not prepared or don't cheese some of them. I appreciated that they actually kept to their promise when developing it-they mentioned something about having to use actual strategy rather than being on autopilot (most of the time). Granted, I did deliberately turn off EXP share, someone I got the game for used it to blow through it and she did rather easy.

Ah yes, the good old days when you could turn off the EXP share. Jokes aside, that's interesting to know. USUM was the first main series game I decided to skip. I just really really didn't like the Sun and moon games. Never played them again after the first time.

Also, I just encountered a shiny unown by full odds. Then forgot to save and ran out of battery. Oh well.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
Ah yes, the good old days when you could turn off the EXP share. Jokes aside, that's interesting to know. USUM was the first main series game I decided to skip. I just really really didn't like the Sun and moon games. Never played them again after the first time.

Also, I just encountered a shiny unown by full odds. Then forgot to save and ran out of battery. Oh well.
Oh same, I liked it when I played it the first time but once the recency bias wore off and I played older games I just didn't ever really feel like playing vanilla Sun and Moon again. I've considered going back to Ultra at some point but there's no real rush. I'd rather catch up on my backlog of games anyways.

Also ouch... Something similar happened to me actually, in Silver on the 3DS. Got a shiny Unown and then my DS broke without any way for me to transfer it over. Not as bad as accidentally KOing a shiny Suicune in HGSS like my stupid 13-year-old self did all those years ago but still a bummer.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I've been wanting to restart my Black 2 file but I keep procrastinating on it. I want to save a few Pokemon (my in game team and a Salamence from my long lost copy of Emerald) before I wipe the file.

I've been bouncing around Sword, knocking out raids and stuff, but nothing too exciting.

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
The last Pokemon game I played through properly was Pokemon Emerald. The evil teams felt pretty weak since their teams were pretty one-note, but as a VGC regular, it was fun playing through so many Double Battles without the slow pace of the Colosseum series. At some point, I want to make a team to take down the Orre Colosseum of Gale of Darkness, but, for now, I have to settle for beating Colosseum's tournament-style Mt. Battle without box legends.

Their Goominess

pesky flying croissant
I've just started a Nuzlocke on X (currently at Santalune City with a Froakie, Weedle, Azurill and Pansear). I don't think I've done a full nuzlocke through a game before (often I end up blacking out around gym 4-5 lol), so this time I wanna do it properly. I originally wanted to do a Wonderlocke but my 3DS won't connect to the internet properly (I don't quite know what the issue is - provided I was able to fix it then I'd happily swap from a nuzlocke to a wonderlocke).