Discussion What are Your Thoughts About Tapu Koko GX in VikaBulu?

Javi Blizz

Spanish TCG Player
Hi guys! I'm trying to make a VikaBulu deck (at least in PTCGO while I don't buy some of the cards phisically) and I've found a question that I think it's worth to be discussed. So, what are your thoughts about adding a single copy of Tapu Koko GX to the list? It can be charged as fast as Bulu, it hits 130 damage (which means it koes baby Volc for example, which Bulu fails to do), it has a nuke GX move for thing like Metagross GX which Bulu can't OHKO, it has sinergy with APCA, and with its ability gives you another way of moving a stucked pokemon from the active spot to the bench. However, it doesn't add coverage (since you still have Vikavolt to hit for [L] weakness), it isn't searcheable via Heavy Ball ([C][C] retreat cost) and it does only have 20 more HP than Vikavolt. So, do you think it's worthy to add it?

Its worth testing as a one off. It will likely only be a situational tech though. I can't really see it working with what vikabulu is trying to do. It kind of seems like a waste of energy to strip them off of bulu or whoever you're using to activate Koko. I think ideally you are using Bulu's GX attack as well, although Koko's certainly can swing a match in the right situation. I'd say if you have an extra spot and you are not sure how to fill it it's worth testing.

I am thinking on adding 1 or 2 tapu koko to the VikaBulu deck after rotation. We are most certainly going to lose float stone. Retreating Tapu Bulu, and more importantly Vikavolt, is going to be a pain. As I see it, we only have 3 viable options:
  • Olympia
  • Switch
  • Tapu Koko Gx
Getting lysandre stalled (well, "guzma" stalled) might be a little less frequent due to the secondary effect on guzma. However, it could be a very serious issue late game when you start running out on energies to strong charge onto a pokemon that you may not be able to move from the active otherwise. That's when playing a Tapu Koko late game would be considerably useful.

Another benefit I see running a Tapu Koko Gx is that it can help you fight a deck with lots of energy disruption (such as Silveon Gx and its crushing hammers). If you are on a situation where 2 or 3 different pokemon on your side only have 1 energy attached to each, you can play a Tapu Koko to "rejoin" the spread energies.

Post rotation, I'm considering this pokemon line:

4-2-3 Vikavolt
2 Tapu Lele Gx
3 or 4 Tapu Bulu Gx
1 or 2 Tapu Koko Gx

Well, I think that BKT will stay in format, so maybe 2 Tapu Koko GX is excesive. @uncleyuri , what I was trying to say is that you could add a [L] energy to the active pokemon to free switch it out of the active spot, not just adding energies to pokemon that are not Bulu and then move them to Koko (maybe it sounded like that)

I am thinking about switching Drampa GX with Tapu Koko GX. Do you guys think that it is a good move or should I just stick with Drampa GX. I"ve also heard that people prefer to use Tapu Koko GX in this deck.

I am thinking about switching Drampa GX with Tapu Koko GX. Do you guys think that it is a good move or should I just stick with Drampa GX. I"ve also heard that people prefer to use Tapu Koko GX in this deck.
It might be best to stick with the Drampa, especially if you're working on a hammers variant. It's really a multi-use card, whereas Koko GX is more of an independent attacker. It all depends on what your main strategy is.

Thanks. Yeah Drampa can be a solid attacker but then there are times where I'm stuck with no damage on the bench and my Drampa isn't doing optimum damage.

It's a good attacker for sure it's worth mentioning that tapu koko with a ffb can ohko a zoroark break as well and I think people are underutilizing ffb because of field blower fear but its still a good card and well worth the extra bulk to survive the plethora of attacks that are hitting 180 right now

Back