XY What if: They added a way to get Alternate Typings?

Flys Gone 2071 said:
It would be quite interesting. There are many Pokemon which could be retyped (specially Gyaraods).

.Towelette said:
I could see this, and I think it would be pretty cool. I've always thought Blastoise should gain a Steel typing to it. I mean, come on, look at it. It has huge cannons sticking out of it's back. Made of steel.
009Blastoise.png

How is it not already a steel type?

Steel type was introduced in 2nd gen.
Um, Magnemite? ...seriously, Blastoise should have been Steel-type...

As for the idea, it's interesting, but like other strange ideas (like Pokemon fusion), I feel if it were added to the game it'd probably be very limited to specific characters.

I wouldn't like of this change. User's type has more influence than its ability. Making Charizard Fire/Dragon, for example, would take it out of the UU tier up to the OU. A Pokémon with a innovated type plus a hidden ability would be rather abuse and consequently banned in Uber tier.

^How would that be a bad thing? Charizard is always made fun of because of its double weakness to Rock... So, it is stuck in NU due to Stealth Rock... With that type changing, it would be a better pokémon and not just the "favorite fanboys' pokémon" or wtv...
I've been thinking... assuming everything WPM's source said is true (which probably is), if Charizard was Fire/Dragon, not only it would reduce its weakness to (Stealth) Rock, it would be one of the few Dragon pokémon (and the only non-legendary Dragon for that matter) that would not be weak to the Fairies (because Fire resists Fairy so it would make it neutral instead of weak to)...

Metalizard said:
^How would that be a bad thing? Charizard is always made fun of because of its double weakness to Rock... So, it is stuck in NU due to Stealth Rock... With that type changing, it would be a better pokémon and not just the "favorite fanboys' pokémon" or wtv...
I've been thinking... assuming everything WPM's source said is true (which probably is), if Charizard was Fire/Dragon, not only it would reduce its weakness to (Stealth) Rock, it would be one of the few Dragon pokémon (and the only non-legendary Dragon for that matter) that would not be weak to the Fairies (because Fire resists Fairy so it would make it neutral instead of weak to)...

They better just nerf Stealth Rock.

J.D. said:
Flys Gone 2071 said:
It would be quite interesting. There are many Pokemon which could be retyped (specially Gyaraods).

Steel type was introduced in 2nd gen.
Um, Magnemite? ...seriously, Blastoise should have been Steel-type...

As for the idea, it's interesting, but like other strange ideas (like Pokemon fusion), I feel if it were added to the game it'd probably be very limited to specific characters.

Back in the 1st gen there was no steel type. Magnemite was just an electric type. What I meant to say was "How has Blastoise not gained a steel type already?:

It is an interesting idea to be able to change the type of a Pokémon, although I am not sure how it would work.

I can see it work as a part of evolution; like Eevee being able to change into different types. Or maybe something similar to Castform, where specific situations make the Pokémon a different type.

I think that if this worked for each Pokémon it would cause too much confusion for game players, because they could never know which Pokémon type they were fighting. It would also, however, be easier to create type variations within your team by only using Pokémon you like, and normally have the same type.

Drohn said:
It is an interesting idea to be able to change the type of a Pokémon, although I am not sure how it would work.

I can see it work as a part of evolution; like Eevee being able to change into different types. Or maybe something similar to Castform, where specific situations make the Pokémon a different type.

I think that if this worked for each Pokémon it would cause too much confusion for game players, because they could never know which Pokémon type they were fighting. It would also, however, be easier to create type variations within your team by only using Pokémon you like, and normally have the same type.

If the appearance were changed slightly to reflect the new type then there would not be as much confusion.

Flys Gone 2071 said:
MrSquarepants said:
Man Dusknoir Ghost Dark would be a tough to beat. No one would use Spiritomb anymore.

Fairy is (supposed) to hit Dark for super effective damage so all Type combinations have weaknesses now (except Electric + Levitate).

Fairy's only confirmed to be super effective against dragon and I don't recall any of the rumors saying it will be super effective against Dark. I guess it's possible

Pokewiz1999 said:
Flys Gone 2071 said:
Fairy is (supposed) to hit Dark for super effective damage so all Type combinations have weaknesses now (except Electric + Levitate).

Fairy's only confirmed to be super effective against dragon and I don't recall any of the rumors saying it will be super effective against Dark. I guess it's possible

Maybe you should go to the pokebeach main page and look again, because they do say that

Pokewiz1999 said:
Flys Gone 2071 said:

The rumor about the fairy type said
W: Steel, Poison
I: Dragon
SE: Dragon, Dark, Fighting
NVE: Fire, Psychic

Alix Rooker said:
I don't think I would like this change. It would be too confusing.

True but not true at the same time, I can see what you are going for but I would love to see an ingame delta species type thing going on, and the only way I have managed to do that before was action replaying drizzle onto a Swellow and hacking electric attacks on it too. It would be a nifty design, perhaps a yellow Swellow with the drizzle ability and the ability to use electric attacks but still retains its regular typing? I know it wouldn't be the same thing as the title is suggesting but it is offering a nice alternative idea.

Mitja said:
Pokewiz1999 said:

I still think it's stange Fairy doesn't have resistances... I doubt it only has an immunity to Dragon and doesn't resist any other types (it should be at least like Ice and resist itself), maybe the source simply didn't take note of the resistances...

Metalizard said:
Mitja said:

I still think it's stange Fairy doesn't have resistances... I doubt it only has an immunity to Dragon and doesn't resist any other types (it should be at least like Ice and resist itself), maybe the source simply didn't take note of the resistances...

How is that strange? It makes perfect sense for it to have no resistances when it only has 2 weaknesses but a useful immunity.
Its close to Normal and Ghost in being more neutral instead of stratified across the board like the extreme counterpart Steel having like 10 resistances and an immunity while having just 3 weaknesses. Thats the strange type.

Or Ice. Having 4 weaknesses but 1 resistance? wtf. Fairy is amazingly balanced compared to that poor excuse of a type.

EDIT:
I mean I understand it might "seem" weird for it to "have no resistances", since most types do have more than 0 resistances. But that's because you are focusing on that part.

Plenty of types have no immunity, some have just 1 weakness, some get hit either SE or NVE by most types.

Raptor9229 said:
Alix Rooker said:
I don't think I would like this change. It would be too confusing.

True but not true at the same time, I can see what you are going for but I would love to see an ingame delta species type thing going on, and the only way I have managed to do that before was action replaying drizzle onto a Swellow and hacking electric attacks on it too. It would be a nifty design, perhaps a yellow Swellow with the drizzle ability and the ability to use electric attacks but still retains its regular typing? I know it wouldn't be the same thing as the title is suggesting but it is offering a nice alternative idea.
I agree with this concept, but only if it changed colors and several features.
For example, I'll use your Swellow. Imagine if Swellow were to become yellow and black/blue all over and it's tail feathers resembled lightning bolts, and it gained several thunderstorm related features to it's body and face. Then I could see something like this happening. That way, the opposing person wouldn't be confused when battling against it, as they would know that it was nao an Electric type with the possibility of creating rainstorms, due to it's Drizzle ability. This would pretty much make Swellow more of a nerf Pokemon than it already is, since it would be Electric/Flying, and the Electric type attacks would be more powerful and have a higher chance of hitting because of the Drizzle ability. Unless it fought against a ground type Pokemon. Then you're screwed.

Mitja said:
How is that strange? It makes perfect sense for it to have no resistances when it only has 2 weaknesses but a useful immunity.
Its close to Normal and Ghost in being more neutral instead of stratified across the board like the extreme counterpart Steel having like 10 resistances and an immunity while having just 3 weaknesses. Thats the strange type.

Or Ice. Having 4 weaknesses but 1 resistance? wtf. Fairy is amazingly balanced compared to that poor excuse of a type.

EDIT:
I mean I understand it might "seem" weird for it to "have no resistances", since most types do have more than 0 resistances. But that's because you are focusing on that part.

Plenty of types have no immunity, some have just 1 weakness, some get hit either SE or NVE by most types.

It's not really because it's weird to have no resistances. I get why Normal has no resistances, but has one immunity. But to me, it would make sense for Fairy-type to be resistant to itself and at least Dark. Maybe some other type but I don't remember any right now that would be expected...
Or why only Fire and Psychic resist Fairy? Steel would probably be resistant to it too (not saying this because it's super effective against Fairy, notice I didn't mention Poison)...

And yes, Ice should have more resistances... I always thought Ice should resist Water just like Water resists Ice (similar to Bug and Fighting), for exampe...

I think it would be nice to have this for specific Pokémon. If all Pokémon could change their type to anything they'd like it could make them very overpowered and it would also cause confusion. I think it is nice that majority of the Pokémon have set types, but creating a few Pokémon that could change their type in special ways (like Rotom, Wormadam and Castform (could be permanent or temporarily)) would be nice as well.

Ahh, no more Spiritomb, oh well.

But a typing I would like to see is Mewtwo Psychic/Dark

I know, I know, it seems outrageous, but think about it. It was created in a Lab by one of the most evil people out there. Then when it went to Mewthree it could go back to Psychic.

Flys Gone 2071 said:
MrSquarepants said:
Man Dusknoir Ghost Dark would be a tough to beat. No one would use Spiritomb anymore.

Clefairy=Gravity+Dig=super effective

Back