XY What new Types would you like to see in X and Y?

Hegafire0 said:
Seismitoad537 said:
Sound, light/dark, mud, and wind types: are cool types that I'd like to see.

-for sound type, the Pokemon can learn moves like: Screech, Roar, Sing, Supersonic, Hyper Voice, and Perish Song

-the light/dark types would just be different versions of Pokémon as in the TCG cards

-for mud type, the Pokémon can learn moves like: Dig, Mud-Slap, Mud Shot, Mud Sport, Mud Bomb, and Rock Slide

-for wind type, the Pokémon can be dual Wind/Flying types and learn moves like: Whirlwind, Tailwind, Hurricane, Ominous Wind, Razor Wind, Leaf Storm, and Blizzard

Mud type? Really, of everything that exists in this world, you think the most qualified to be a Pokemon is mud?

Sound isn't really anything that can cover a lot of different ideas, the only thing I can think of are Pokemon that are loud, and I don't think that a lot of loud Pokemon would do a lot of things, they'd just get really old, really fast.

What's wrong with a mud type? It's just a suggestion. And yes, sound can cover a lot. You have Pokémon like Whismur and Chimecho, and then there is also ones like Magnemite or Zubat that use a lot of moves that can be sound related.

Mitja said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Why wouldn't the third game be counted? It's a main series game in a generation with it's own storyline.
But the point I was trying to get across is that GF likes to give version mascots typing that has rarely been seen before (when you consider one or so lines, the list becomes bigger), if not never seen before. It's a way of making them stand out more.
And I know they aren't trying to get rid of all the type combos quickly. With the current type chart we have 289 (I think) combinations. We are about to have 700+ that amount. They always keep strange and exotic typings for certain Pokemon in a generation.

But then Poison/Flying would be quite appropriate (just Zubat atm, whereas there was already Natu with Lugia, and later Sigilyph and Woobat)

I don't think they're aiming for exotic types though.
I mean
-gen 3 was pretty pure and simple (Ground, Water, Dragon/Flying)
-gen 2 was simply Flying ones (and not unique either)
-gen 4 and 5 they went for Dragon combos, so it was like ~50% for any of them to be unique and exotic.

Since this time they obviously won't be paired with Dragon...and one of them even already looks like a definite Flying (which lowers the chances for a unique type more than any other)... I don't see the justification for thinking they would end up as exotic dual types.
They could, but that's not something they specifically aim for.

D.N.A said:
Yveltal will be Dark/Fairy, Xerneas will be Light/Fairy.

Obviously.

Not Light/Fairy and Sound/Wind? Dx

The only problem I have with Poison type Yveltal is that it doesn't have any venomous qualities that one would expect from a Poison type, and most Legendaries show their types at a glance (except the creation trio).
The other reason I don't want Yveltal to be Poison type is that it would make it the first Poison legendary, which isn't bad by any means (I really want a Poison legendary), but I'd much rather it be an event legendary or even a poison trio, not a casual mascot legend.
I'm also cautiously hoping the third legendary will be a poison type, since a serpent could be a likely design basis if Xern/Yvel's trio is based on Norse Mythology.

Seismitoad537 said:
Hegafire0 said:
Mud type? Really, of everything that exists in this world, you think the most qualified to be a Pokemon is mud?

Sound isn't really anything that can cover a lot of different ideas, the only thing I can think of are Pokemon that are loud, and I don't think that a lot of loud Pokemon would do a lot of things, they'd just get really old, really fast.

What's wrong with a mud type? It's just a suggestion. And yes, sound can cover a lot. You have Pokémon like Whismur and Chimecho, and then there is also ones like Magnemite or Zubat that use a lot of moves that can be sound related.

Mud=Water/Ground. (see: mudkip, stunfisk, and any pokemon that has anything to do with mud in any aspect)
Also sound can't really be done in many different aspects. Sure, you could have Pokemon like Whismur, and then something like a dolphin and bat that use echolocation, but that's all there really is. Look at other types (lets look at Fighting for example): you have the strong fighters (machamp, hariyama), then the ones that fight for justice (gallade), and then the heroes (muskedeer trio). With sound there can only be like, ones that screech loudly, and then ones that use sound as part of their lifestyle, and thats about it.

P.DelSlayer said:
The only problem I have with Poison type Yveltal is that it doesn't have any venomous qualities that one would expect from a Poison type, and most Legendaries show their types at a glance (except the creation trio).
The other reason I don't want Yveltal to be Poison type is that it would make it the first Poison legendary, which isn't bad by any means (I really want a Poison legendary), but I'd much rather it be an event legendary or even a poison trio, not a casual mascot legend.
I'm also cautiously hoping the third legendary will be a poison type, since a serpent could be a likely design basis if Xern/Yvel's trio is based on Norse Mythology.

but mascots dont show their types at a glance. Its usually some vague hint. Sometimes their colors fit the stereotype, but its mostly because the color also fits the member when looked as a group and for thematic reasons (versions)..
Its not just the dimension trio,
Zekrom/Reshiram were quite enigmatic too, even tho its obvious in retrospect, and Kyogre being blue, implying Water isnt valid, because Groudon being red doesn't imply Ground... And Lugia/Ho-oh are rather vague too.

So just because its not purple or doesn't seem venomous...if it fits the theme they are going for it could very well fit.
Besides, what design aspects would be venomous? spiky bits?
It looks like some virus/parasite that latches onto things and infects them or sucks them of life-energy.
And the veins-like patterns don't look "healthy" either, quite the opposite.
img_3_3-1.jpg

It looks like some freakin boss alpha-predator of the pokeverse (which I admit could just as much be a hint for Dark)

As for the third legend.. if Im remotely right in thinking these two have a life/death theme going, I think the third one will be something much more unexpected than a venomous serpent...something more neutral...or 2 legends,...or these two gaining new formes etc etc. we cant even speculate on it when we havent seen the initial games of the generation.

Mitja said:
Zekrom/Reshiram were quite enigmatic too, even tho its obvious in retrospect, and Kyogre being blue, implying Water isnt valid, because Groudon being red doesn't imply Ground... And Lugia/Ho-oh are rather vague too.

So just because its not purple or doesn't seem venomous...if it fits the theme they are going for it could very well fit.
It looks like some virus/parasite that latches onto things and infects them or sucks them of life-energy.

The spiky bits on Yveltal remind me of the tendrils that came out of the fake Groundon after The Butler made it in the Jirachi Wish Maker movie. I could seem them doing the 'sucking the life out of nature' thing to. Poison seems valid, but i also wouldn't want to see a Poison mascot for one of the major games. I highly doubt that we will get another Ground/Flying Pokemon though. If I recall correctly, Gligar and Gliscor were the last two we had? It would be very interesting though.

437805-fake_groudon.png

Wind type is the exact same concept as flying type. Most flying moves are wind-based.

Mud is the combination of water and soil. That is why mud-themed pokemon are water/ground and I don't see any reason to make a new type for that, even though a ton more mud-themed creatures would probably be highly appealing to me.

Mitja said:
but mascots dont show their types at a glance. Its usually some vague hint. Sometimes their colors fit the stereotype, but its mostly because the color also fits the member when looked as a group and for thematic reasons (versions)..

img_3_3-1.jpg

It looks like some freakin boss alpha-predator of the pokeverse (which I admit could just as much be a hint for Dark)

As for the third legend.. if Im remotely right in thinking these two have a life/death theme going, I think the third one will be something much more unexpected than a venomous serpent...something more neutral...or 2 legends,...or these two gaining new formes etc etc. we cant even speculate on it when we havent seen the initial games of the generation.

If Yveltal is based on the blind eagle from Asgard, home to the gods, I think Ghost/Flying would be a suitable combination as well. It does have this eerie cloud of smoke around its neck (and the fact that it is blind, if that does make sense?). Dark/Flying would work just as well though. I bet it is probably one of those two.

Now I think of Asgard.. Eikþyrnir is a stag that lives in Asgard as well. It is said that it has antlers shaped like branches (even though most antlers do look like that), and that liquids travel from those branches and fall in the world below to create the twelve major rivers.

It does make more sense than saying it is based on Yggdrasil itself (which I hope would be a major location in the games). A Water/Grass type perhaps? I am not sure. Water/(something) I think.

Mitja said:
P.DelSlayer said:

img_3_3-1.jpg

To be fully honest, the only mascots whose types I found hard to decipher were Lugia's (always thought it was Water, its many water incarnations in the tcg didn't help), Groudon's (for some reason it always got me as a Fire type), and Palkia (reverse of Lugia's, always thought it was Psychic).

But with Poison Yveltal, the main point I'm trying to get across is that every legendary has some visual connection to it's type (bar like palkia and lugia). e.g. Reshiram has a smoky plume on its head, Zekrom has the electric horn thing, etc. Yveltal has no obvious connection to Poison at first glance. Although, if it is based on the blind eagle from Asgard, like Pokequaza said, Ghost/Flying could be a type for it (although it doesn't really look supernatural at all).
I also don't really see a life/death theme going on in Pokemon-sure, they've had the graveyard towers, but at the end of the day, Pokemon is made for children, and putting life/death themes in the main storyline of a children's game seems like it may be a bit of a bad move.
Water/Grass could be an interesting typing for Xerneas, it looks like it might fit that typing.

P.DelSlayer said:
Yveltal has no obvious connection to Poison at first glance.

Again, I ask, what would it need to have for this to be the case?
Whats an example of a "Poison connection" that can be seen in a pokemons design alone?

Mitja said:
P.DelSlayer said:
Yveltal has no obvious connection to Poison at first glance.

Again, I ask, what would it need to have for this to be the case?
Whats an example of a "Poison connection" that can be seen in a pokemons design alone?

If you look at all the Poison types in existance, all of them (except maybe a couple of the Grass/Poison lines) can easily be seen as Poison types. these can be in the forms of stingers, venom, fangs etc. Some of their design basis even immediately scream poison type (snakes, skunks, jellyfish, poison dart frogs etc)
Yveltal just doesn't have any noteworthy traits shared with other Poison mons.
*also, on the subject of Poison types, they need to bring back it being SE on Bug types*

I'm hoping that the May CoroCoro will end this long cycle of speculation on the Xern/Yvel/Sylvie's types. It's been far too long since Sylveon was revealed and it's type wasn't. (another thing, when any new Pokemon is shown (Sylveon, Xern/Yvel), is it just me, or are they quickly shoved out the spotlight for something new?)

Bug is defensively bad enough... some other stuff deserves poison weaknesses, like Normal, maybe Dark or Water..

Mitja said:
Bug is defensively bad enough... some other stuff deserves poison weaknesses, like Normal, maybe Dark or Water..

I can't really see Normal gaining a Poison weakness. However, Dark and Water are two types that Poison could easily be SE on.
also, on the topic of type enhancements, some buffs for Ice type
-resistant to Dragon
-resistant to Grass
-take out its weakness to Rock

P.DelSlayer said:
Mitja said:

I can't really see Normal gaining a Poison weakness. However, Dark and Water are two types that Poison could easily be SE on.
also, on the topic of type enhancements, some buffs for Ice type
-resistant to Dragon
-resistant to Grass
-take out its weakness to Rock

Dude, not to Grass. Ground is much more OU atm (and also weak the other way).
With a Dragon and Ground resistance, Ice has something serious to work with.

I think that we will be seeing two new types. I think they will be Sound and Light/Fairy type. I believe that Yveltal will be Flying Sound and Xerneas will be Ground Light/Fairy. These two legendaries could be the staples of the new types. I know this has been said before, but Yveltal was the only pokemon in the trailer, minus Pikachu to make a sound. Also, Yveltal traveled at like a supersonic speed. Xerneas was surrounded by light shafts and its antlers could represent the spectrum of light. Also, Sylveon could represent the Light/Fairy type. There are many Pokémon that could be changed to Light/Fairy or Sound type. Some examples:

Sound-
Chatot
Whismur chain
Yveltal
Meloetta
Jigglypuff chain
Wailmer Chain
Kricketot chain
Chimeco Chain

Light/Fairy Types-
Xerneas
Sylveon
Clefairy chain
Chansey chain
Mareep chain

There are plenty of moves that have been mentioned before that relate to both types, and I am not going to list them.

The last thing I want to say is that the Light or Fairy type ( I used both terms because I think they are interchangable ) is not just something different physically. Think of it this way. Dark type pokemon do represents shadows and dark object, but dark type pokemon also have an evil connotation to them. Houndoom, Umbreon, Absol (unfortunately, so he should be dark light), Sneasel, Krookodile. Why shouldn't there be a Light type which represents inherently good pokemon? Clefairy, Ampharos, Blissey. Pokemon that are good in heart can be holy, which I believe can be represented through the Light/Fairy type.

What makes Wailmer a ''Sound''-type Pokémon? The fact that he can use Supersonic or Growl? You might as well include every Pokémon with vocal chords then.

The Dark-type does not represent darkness. In the Japanese versions it is called the ''Evil''-type. Well, you can figure the rest out by yourself.

Pokequaza said:
What makes Wailmer a ''Sound''-type Pokémon? The fact that he can use Supersonic or Growl? You might as well include every Pokémon with vocal chords then.

The Dark-type does not represent darkness. In the Japanese versions it is called the ''Evil''-type. Well, you can figure the rest out by yourself.

I know that it was a stretch but Wailmer and wailord can be considered sound types because whales use the sound Underwater to communicate. Your idea on dark type Pokémon further proves my point. if there is an evil type why is there not a type that represents the holy?

sohrin305 said:
I know that it was a stretch but Wailmer and wailord can be considered sound types because whales use the sound Underwater to communicate. Your idea on dark type Pokémon further proves my point. if there is an evil type why is there not a type that represents the holy?

However it is never mentioned that Wailmer and Wailord use echolocation as a way of either navigating or communicating.

Because Pokémon is about battles, and with evil they mean a dirty and nasty style of fighting. It is well known that the Fighting-type is the opposite of the Dark-type. Fighting represents the honourable way of combat (it is therefore super-effective on Dark, and Dark not very-effective on Fighting).

Back