What's the rarest card?

Kasumi said:
We reckon a complete set of the 10 cards were awarded to each winner as a prize. So there were 10 winners and 10 cards produced making 10 copies of each card. However, it really is just all speculation so there is no real answer. We have not seen anywhere close to that number of cards anyway but it's understandable as these rare prize cards, won't all show up. Not everyone who gets them will sell/trade, I know I wouldn't!

When they print these cards the do it in a run and quote if im wrong but I am sure there 36 cards per sheet so there could be 36 copies each of the hard to find cards PTC or Wizzards could have destroyed the others or kept them at head office there were leaks of some of the hard to find DBZ CCG cards a couple of years ago when score entertainment went bust.

pokemoncatcher said:
Kasumi said:
We reckon a complete set of the 10 cards were awarded to each winner as a prize. So there were 10 winners and 10 cards produced making 10 copies of each card. However, it really is just all speculation so there is no real answer. We have not seen anywhere close to that number of cards anyway but it's understandable as these rare prize cards, won't all show up. Not everyone who gets them will sell/trade, I know I wouldn't!

When they print these cards the do it in a run and quote if im wrong but I am sure there 36 cards per sheet so there could be 36 copies each of the hard to find cards PTC or Wizzards could have destroyed the others or kept them at head office there were leaks of some of the hard to find DBZ CCG cards a couple of years ago when score entertainment went bust.

Not necessarily. It is possible to only print 3 of a card on a sheet.
Even if they did produce full sheets of each card, they would be the most carefully destroyed sheets printed.

Jay said:
You are a bit mistaken. Umbreon and Espeon * pop cards are worth around 75. I am lucky enough to own the real gems: Player Club Promo espy/umbre *. These are worth thousands of dollars.

I'm not mistaken that is just what I found on eBay.

In future, you may want to post prices of the most recent eBay completed listings or private sales you know about. eBay listing prices shouldn't be looked at as this doesn't reflect the true current value at all. I think that is what Jay was trying to say.

Pretty sure I saw a Shadowless Charizard on eBay for well over £200 ($350) once, probably not the rarest, but certainly up there in the top lot!

EDIT: This, however, takes the biscuit: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pokemon-Charizard-1st-Edition-Base-Set-Shadowless-Card-Graded-PSA-9-Mint-Perfect-/181135591478?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2c85c836

A good example of an expensive card but sadly, still no where near the top tier. A PSA 9 1st Edition Base Charizard a year ago went for $600, now they have increased to ~$950. Purely because of demand and not for it's rarity. A PSA 10 one however, will cost a lot more and fluctuates insanely. Charizard is an extremely popular character is it's price has only soared because of it, just like the Eeveelutions.

Kasumi said:
A good example of an expensive card but sadly, still no where near the top tier. A PSA 9 1st Edition Base Charizard a year ago went for $600, now they have increased to ~$950. Purely because of demand and not for it's rarity. A PSA 10 one however, will cost a lot more and fluctuates insanely. Charizard is an extremely popular character is it's price has only soared because of it, just like the Eeveelutions.

Ahh, that make sense!

Kasumi said:
Thank you Daelum for using my list. ;)

Bagoly14, sadly those two cards (PLAY Flareon/Master's Scroll) are no where near the top tier cards mentioned prior.

English POP Espeon/Umbreon - Pfft, someone please do their homework.

Daelum is correct in saying the World Championship cards are the rarest in terms of copies, apart from the Summer/Winter Neo Battle roads (Ho-Oh/Lugia) illustrations + Elite Four + Female variant Battle Roads #1, 2 and 3. As these are not exactly known how many copies of each exist.

If you want it narrow the rarest card down to copies produced then this one should fit nicely.

1997PikachuTrophy_zps650ce8ed.jpg

The 1997 version has only 2 copies of each #1, 2 and 3 as at the time they only had two age divisions.

You'll find that the 1998 Lizardon and Kamex ones only had two age divisions as well. I have extensive documentation over a number of published magazines and books that can accurately testify for this as well. A senior division No.1 Pikachu sold on the Japanese market through a lesser known auction site earlier this year for just over $1,200 with the original case for the card and everything was from the Kamex Mega Battle - and I own the Junior rank one. I was able to identify that it was the senior rank one being sold because I have the names of the winners on record in my books. The only difference in winnings with the Lizardon and Kamex mega battle places were that they gave out a trophy as well as the trophy card to the 1st place winners, and the general swag.

Arguably you could account for one extra of every rare Japanese card since it's now very well known that PTCG in Japan have a card archive with their own prints on record. There have been photos of them showing the cards off before on their blog, cards which those of us in the scene have accounted for in their distribution and numbers because of extensive investigation work, but they'll never be sold publicly so don't count in the collector scheme of things.

Yes I have already found that out. What you are saying is correct, however, I never said that there weren't only two age divisions. I was referring to Daelum's post about the English World Championship cards, as they do have three age divisions.

As for why I chose the 1997 I regard it as rarer than both Lizardon/Kamex as there are only two copies - Two age divisions, One tournament. Whereas the other two have disputed numbers. Not to mention it is the first prize card from the first official tournament.

I know exactly what copy you are referring too. It's a shame it was as faded as it was. They really should have thought people would display them and made the case at least UV protective. I also have seen the pictures from the Blog and am very envious.

The other two have fixed numbers, not disputed, and are easy to differentiate by the text on the card bodies though.

But yes, the first prize card from the first official tournament.

Back