Where to buy in USA?

RE: How to use Pokemon Shopping sites, and where to go.

Don't forget Professor-Oak.com.

They are great for collectors and have a very wide variety of cards. And best of all -- they're all MINT! I've purchased a few expensive cards from them and you just can't beat the condition. Their commons and uncommons are usually fairly priced and if you buy 25 or more cards $0.50 or less, you get them all for $0.20! Very awesome. But watch out...they WAY overprice most of the more rare cards. They have free shipping on everything and give you discount codes after every purchase. Just used an 8% discount code on a purchase!

I agree with adding Prof-Oak to the list.

For Troll and Toad, I think it should be noted that their card condition may not necessarily be what you expect. A card advertised as near mint on their site was sold to me with quite a large noticeable edgewear on the back, which I believe is not really near mint. The pic for anyone who wants to see:

lugia%252520ex.jpg

Granted, I'm only speaking from one bad experience, or my standard for card grading may be much higher than theirs, and I have not gotten to them regarding returns so I do not know how they handle cases like this, but I believe this should be noted.

Good suggestion! Added.

sendoh said:

For Troll and Toad, I think it should be noted that their card condition may not necessarily be what you expect. A card advertised as near mint on their site was sold to me with quite a large noticeable edgewear on the back, which I believe is not really near mint. The pic for anyone who wants to see:

lugia%252520ex.jpg

Granted, I'm only speaking from one bad experience, or my standard for card grading may be much higher than theirs, and I have not gotten to them regarding returns so I do not know how they handle cases like this, but I believe this should be noted.

Now that you mention it, I do remember a card I got that had a sticky residue on it. :( That will be noted as well.

Great thread! This'll help a lot in looking for JP Boxes/Boosters & Plushies, and other misc stuff. Just wondering though, why isn't PokeGym mentioned here? There's more deals there than here tbh, as well as more activity if only because their community is larger.

Rikko145 said:
Now that you mention it, I do remember a card I got that had a sticky residue on it. :( That will be noted as well.

Come to think of it, my card also has a tiny rust (?) stain on it which seems to have seeped into one of the corner edges too but I didn't focus on that in the photo. The other cards didn't seem to have a problem so I just recommend to buy at your own risk.

Also I realised that Gamingetc has pretty reasonable prices for singles. Any experience on the conditions of their cards?

How could you forget Hardrock-Pokemon?
They have TONs of japanese pokemon merch there.

Is Collectors Cache still around? I used to buy from them, but then I found that most other places had better prices. (For instance, their rares and holo-rares cost 3 to 5 times as much as Professor-Oak. I bought from them during the 3rd generation years. Pokémon-ex sold for between $50 and $250.) Everything they have is always in stock unless it's crazy popular though.

But I get the impression that it's not really a Pokémon TCG oriented site. Much of the advertisement and promotion they create is for Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh!, where those kind of prices are normal.

Collector's Cache is still around, yes. I typically do my English booster box pre-orders from them since they have competitive pricing for that, and they're somewhat close by so I get them faster.

I actually met Professor Oak once. He wasn't very amicable, so I don't do business with him.

My one issue with professor-oak is that they CONSTANTLY mess up orders. I've placed a lot of orders with them in the last two years and nearly every one of them had some sort of mistake. However, to their credit, if you e-mail them saying "I was supposed to receive this card but didn't" or "You sent me card X when I was supposed to get card Y," they'll send out the right card and let you keep the other one.

Also I realised that Gamingetc has pretty reasonable prices for singles. Any experience on the conditions of their cards?
It's pretty hit or miss, really. After Christmas I ordered several Base, Jungle, Fossil and Rocket cards from GETC and a lot of them had noticeable edge wear or little scratches through the attack text box that revealed the foil. In terms of the quality of the cards I would put them below T&T and Prof-Oak.

If you have a condition issue with Troll and Toad, send them an email and they'll replace the card. I've had problems with them before but they always have fixed them.

Frost said:
My one issue with professor-oak is that they CONSTANTLY mess up orders.

I disagree. In my experience, they've been perfectly organized. I suppose it depends on where you live and possibly what you order. Professor Oak's feedback does have negative remarks sprinkled here and there, mainly concerning missing items or incorrect items.

@Rikko145 – I wish to contribute another website to the list – Pokemon-Cards.Net. Richard Tarr is an excellent salesman. I myself have yet to experience anything unsatisfactory from his online business. In addition, his selection of Japanese cards is impressive, although they can be a bit expensive.

The main drawbacks are:

▪ He may not always have the newest releases, and;
▪ Popular items are out-of-stock.

sendoh said:

lugia%252520ex.jpg

For most people, that would be NM. If you are that picky about conditions, it is usually best to do transactions face to face to avoid anything like that. I've never had any issues from trollandtoad.

also, adding to the websites

Ebay
www.hardrock-pokemon.com is also good for jpn stuff

http://www.amiami.com Probably the best site for japanese cards/merchandise, although if ordering place a large order as shipping will not be worth it otherwise

Awesome thread!
I bought lots of cards from T&T before and I never had problems, actually.

Unique Username said:
@Rikko145 – I wish to contribute another website to the list – Pokemon-Cards.Net. Richard Tarr is an excellent salesman. I myself have yet to experience anything unsatisfactory from his online business. In addition, his selection of Japanese cards is impressive, although they can be a bit expensive.

I dealt with him years ago on eBay. Always nice cards and prompt service.

Hey!
I live in the UK, and Chaos Cards has helped me alot. The cards aren't too expensive, and the Boosters are soo cheap! The cards come in practically Mint condition too!

Unique Username said:
I disagree. In my experience, they've been perfectly organized. I suppose it depends on where you live and possibly what you order. Professor Oak's feedback does have negative remarks sprinkled here and there, mainly concerning missing items or incorrect items.

Well, Unique, I am looking in my sent e-mail box and I see at least five different times where I've had to e-mail professor-oak about mistakes in my order within the last two years. It's things like "I ordered a POP 4 Combusken but received a POP 5 Combusken," "I ordered this Skyridge Zubat but got the other one instead" or "I ordered a Delta Species Azurill and got a Delta Species Azumarill."

They are little and, frankly, understandable mistakes, but it does get tiring that it has happened to me personally so often. But, like I said in my last message, they are ALWAYS willing to fix their errors at no cost to the buyer, so I do recommend them and have always left good feedback for them because I had a bad experience with another card site where my order was missing cards, I e-mailed them about it and never got a response at all.

I usually always order any bulk from Potomac Distribution as well as KMC sleeves and any cards for other card games. Their prices on booster boxes and bulk items are very good in my opinion. Shipping is 8.95 unless your order is $150+. They've always had great service so long as I've used them for about 5+ years for my gaming needs :p

konter_j8902 said:
For most people, that would be NM. If you are that picky about conditions, it is usually best to do transactions face to face to avoid anything like that. I've never had any issues from trollandtoad.

Yeah I guess I'm pretty picky about conditions. Although in my defense I didn't really focus the photo on the damage, the damage is a tear instead of edgewear. There's a small part of the card torn out and is still dangling. Also, at the front top, there's a rust (?) stain which seeps into the edge of the card. But I do understand that I could have and should have contacted them for a replacement. The other cards which I ordered were pretty much ok though.

I prefer face to face transactions as well, but that's not always possible since where I come from there is a player base but no collector base, since P!P only caught on 2 or 3 years ago. That's why I prefer Prof-Oak, pretty hassle-free and they do not exaggerate their card condition.

is buying singles at toywiz safe? and their cards quality?

Back