XY Will X & Y be backwards compatible with B / W?

RE: Will X & Y be backwards compatible with B/W?

Card Slinger J said:
Another reason why people hack the Pokemon games is because they hate the current direction Game Freak is taking the Pokemon franchise, they want the video game franchise to EVOLVE instead of being the exact same game every generation with terrible spin-offs like Mystery Dungeon. That's pretty much Nintendo in a nutshell, they pump out remake after remake of franchises that have already been proven successful being Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, etc. instead of coming up with something brand new and innovative because they don't want to take a risk from losing money on something that might not sell.

Did you really just call Mystery Dungeon a horrible spinoff? Shame on you.

And what's the problem with not taking risks? You make it sound as though Nintendo fans want something other than Mario or Zelda, which is clearly not the case.

Sorry If I offended you Jakeremix it's just that I was never really a huge fan of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon although I thought Pokemon Ranger was alright. I just really miss those days when Nintendo/Game Freak released great spin-offs for Pokemon like Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Pinball, Pokemon Puzzle League, and many others released in the previous Generations of Pokemon that aren't getting sequels in newer Generations of Pokemon.

What's wrong with taking risks? Nintendo has been so caught up on nostalgia over the last several years that they've literally disregarded anything innovative and original to keep up with today's gaming industry and that's what's really hurting themselves in spite of their competition against Sony and Microsoft. Nintendo got lucky with the Wii but after that they fell behind on the Wii U they are still doing decent with the 3DS.

Learnable moves revision

Jakeremix said:
I've been reading this thread and I'm shocked by what pokemon can and cannot learn, to say the least.

So let's say if GF does work out the backwards compatibility and some moves are dropped from certain pokemons' movesets. Would they like, force the pokemon to forget the moves? Could they do that?

Is the backwards compatibility already confirmed? I cannot remember reading about it. I might not return this generation, but I could have missed it..
[private] Off-topic posting, so moved and PM *Drohn [/private]

Backwards compatibility hasn't been confirmed yet, but yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as you Pokequaza as to whether or not If I'll continue playing the video games in Gen VI. Sadly most of my friends stopped playing the Pokemon video games cause they hate the current direction Game Freak is taking the franchise towards. Even on YouTube the Pokemon Community is dying out as well...

Card Slinger J said:
Backwards compatibility hasn't been confirmed yet, but yeah I'm kind of in the same boat as you Pokequaza as to whether or not If I'll continue playing the video games in Gen VI. Sadly most of my friends stopped playing the Pokemon video games cause they hate the current direction Game Freak is taking the franchise towards. Even on YouTube the Pokemon Community is dying out as well...

We'll, seeing this game I might actually pick up on the series again; gen V was a little too much for me. The absense of backwards compatibility does allow GameFreak to start fresh, not the ''fresh'' they claimed to do with BW, but actually fresh. A proper 3D battle system like PBR is also a must, I think, for the YouTube community.

If the absence of backwards compatibility with Gen VI would allow Game Freak to literally "start fresh" with the video game franchise then the 3DS itself would need to be 100% cheat proof where it would be nearly impossible to hack the Gen VI games which doesn't seem to be the case at all. It annoys me how much players have hacked the Pokemon games to the point of playing so many fan-games of them from countless unofficial MMO's of Pokemon to so many hacked versions of Gen III either based on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen.

I get that breeding for a team to do WiFi battling is very tedious for the reasons why players make their teams through cheating devices used as a shortcut to battle competitively but all it does is hurt the Pokemon Community more to where they're less interested in playing Pokemon in favor of other mainstream video games like Call of Duty either to make money off YouTube or because they're tired of how much the Pokemon games have stagnated throughout each generation. If Game Freak wanted to give us a real change in the status quo of the Pokemon video game franchise they should've done A LOT more than what they already presented for X and Y.

[private]Edited to remove the mention of specific cheating devices *Drohn
If the absence of backwards compatibility with Gen VI would allow Game Freak to literally "start fresh" with the video game franchise then the 3DS itself would need to be 100% cheat proof where it would be nearly impossible to hack the Gen VI games which doesn't seem to be the case at all. It annoys me how much players have hacked the Pokemon games to the point of playing so many fan-games of them from countless unofficial MMO's of Pokemon to so many hacked versions of Gen III either based on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald or FireRed/LeafGreen.

I get that breeding for a team to do WiFi battling is very tedious for the reasons why players make their teams through PokeSav, PokeGen, or some other cheating device used as a shortcut to battle competitively but all it does is hurt the Pokemon Community more to where they're less interested in playing Pokemon in favor of other mainstream video games like Call of Duty either to make money off YouTube or because they're tired of how much the Pokemon games have stagnated throughout each generation. If Game Freak wanted to give us a real change in the status quo of the Pokemon video game franchise they should've done ALOT more than what they already presented for X and Y.
[/private]

No offense, but I don't want to have to rehunt all my shinies.
Some people want XY to backwards compatible for legit reasons whist as mentioned, others want to use for hacks.

I think the best way to solve the issue is to make it so ONLY Pokemon caught/bred/so forth within XY can be traded or used within Wi-Fi battles.
It's sad, but it's the only way I think will keep battles fair.

As much as I dislike the prospect of having to find all my shinies again, I think i'd enjoy starting fresh.

All I would want is for there to be a method to transfer Pokemon over from my other games. If I get that I'm okay. I'm currently training a Sun team right now. If Game Freak blunders and stops transferring. I'm done. I hate starting fresh all over again. It bugs me to no end.

I will probably buy X and Y regardless, because I like the series. But not being able to transfer my Pokemon? You have got to be kidding me. All of those DW Pokemon gone? All of those teams that people have built from the ground up gone? Game Freak will loose a ton of money, a long with Nintendo.

It would be plain stupid not to have the transfering.

Considering that we have confirmation of DW ability Pokemon in XY but no confirmation of DW in XY you can assume there is transferability until we get info on a 6th gen DW.

The only thing that bothers me is that the transfer might require the usage of another system, like a hypothetical Pokemon wii u game that acts exactly like pokebox and ranch.

Super__Sonic said:
I will probably buy X and Y regardless, because I like the series. But not being able to transfer my Pokemon? You have got to be kidding me. All of those DW Pokemon gone? All of those teams that people have built from the ground up gone? Game Freak will loose a ton of money, a long with Nintendo.

Nintendo won't loose any money, it's actually a way to make money. Without compatibility people have to buy all the newer games to get all the Pokémon. With compatibility you can just send all your Pokémon from older games to X or Y.

I don't have any problem with a fresh start, as long as they make good use of it, and fix that what has gone wrong over the years.

Sky Pillar said:
Considering that we have confirmation of DW ability Pokemon in XY but no confirmation of DW in XY you can assume there is transferability until we get info on a 6th gen DW.

Actually, Pokemon have confirmed that they're gonna bring Dream World up to 6th gen standards. They've released a date after which we can't access it, due to them working on updating it and all.

P.DelSlayer said:
Sky Pillar said:

Actually, Pokemon have confirmed that they're gonna bring Dream World up to 6th gen standards. They've released a date after which we can't access it, due to them working on updating it and all.

I thought that was for the entirety of the Global Link system. From the pictures shown of what the new Global Link will look like, I have yet to see any spot that says anything about the Dream World.

Heres the thing.

There are no "dream-world-abilities".

There are Hidden abilities (which is simply the ability in the third slot of abilities set for any pokemon species), and those are never generated by regular pokemon encounters.
Whenever you meet a pokemon in a regular battle, it's ability can only be one of the first two slots at 50% each.

The Hidden ability is only a possibility in cases that are deliberately programmed to have that possibility.
Examples of that are:
-Set obtainable Pokemon (inter-actable like the Mandibuzz/Jellicent/etc in BW2, ingame-trades like all the Yancy/Curtis trades in BW2)
-special methods of encounter specifically made to include a hidden ability chance (Hidden Grottos in BW2)
-Event-pokemon made to have the Hidden ability (like the upcoming Torchic event)
-transfered from other mediums that give out pokemon with their Hidden abilities (like Dream-world, Dream-Radar)

So there is no need for a new dream-world to further make hidden-abilities accessible.
Gamefreak can use any number of methods and feature that give out those.
They can make hidden abilities available in lots of ways, including some completely new way through the global link website, or directly in the games.

Heck if they wanted, they could simply change it so hidden abilities occur in regular encounters, just rare instead of nonexistent.
But I think they would rather make more new ways of encounter like the grottos for BW2.
Or for example, shaking grass could have a chance for hidden abilities etc.
I think global link WILL have some new way to get them too, but it might be completely unrelated to the dream-world we know from gen V.

tl;dr
dream world abilities aren't dream-world exclusive, they just get called that because dream-world was the most well known place to obtain them in gen V.

Pokequaza said:
Super__Sonic said:

Nintendo won't loose any money, it's actually a way to make money. Without compatibility people have to buy all the newer games to get all the Pokémon. With compatibility you can just send all your Pokémon from older games to X or Y.

I don't have any problem with a fresh start, as long as they make good use of it, and fix that what has gone wrong over the years.

Even If it is a way to make money especially with a Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald remake, it's still a slap in the face to those who have spent years on end building their own Pokemon teams through EV/IV Training and Breeding in Gen IV/Gen V without using cheating devices. Nobody wants a repeat of what happened in Gen III when you couldn't transfer Pokemon from Red/Blue/Yellow and Gold/Silver/Crystal over to Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald in which Game Freak made up for with a remake of FireRed/LeafGreen which was by leaps and bounds a much better representation of the Gen I games although I didn't really get back into the Pokemon video game franchise until Gen IV with Pokemon Pearl after leaving the series in Gen I with Pokemon Yellow.

As long as Pokemon fans have this mentality of the franchise needing to evolve by cutting off backwards compatibility for an official MMORPG by drastically changing the status quo of the core gameplay mechanics of the actual games to prevent that transfer, then it seems rather hopeless at this point. I can understand from their point of view that they're really sick and tired of playing the exact same Pokemon game since Gen I, but Nintendo/Game Freak has gone out and said that the Pokemon video game franchise wouldn't be as successful as it is today If it wasn't for the winning game formula that's made it come this far. Sega on the other hand when it came to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise tried desperately to change Sonic from 2D to 3D which didn't work out that well for him, let alone adding pointless gimmicks that was unecessary in the first place like Shadow the Hedgehog.

All in all, I think it really comes down to people being very disappointed about Nintendo failing to live up to everyone's expectations with their popular franchises which is essentially the exact same game with better graphics and gameplay instead of something that's taking a huge risk with originality, creativity, and innovation. This isn't just Nintendo's problem, everyone else in the video game industry nowadays is to blame for this where almost every Triple A video game title that's released for consoles these days is always a sequel or a prequel to an already successful popular franchise like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, etc. To make the situation even worse there's less and less Japanese video games getting imported to North America due to the cultural divide between gamers around the world which we didn't have back in the 80's and 90's where gaming was more diverse than it is right now.

I would also find it odd not to come up with a way to transfer your Pokémon from BWB2W2 to X and Y if you hold a huge gift event (The shiny Dialga/Palkia/Giratina events that is going on now) barely 2 months before X and Y come out

Garfieltwo said:
I would also find it odd not to come up with a way to transfer your Pokémon from BWB2W2 to X and Y if you hold a huge gift event (The shiny Dialga/Palkia/Giratina events that is going on now) barely 2 months before X and Y come out

I agree it would be extremely strange unless they think it will stop people from being angry about it.

It seems we can stop discussing this. PokeBank has been announce and it combined with PokeTransporter will allow you to bring your pokemon up as well as store them in a cloud. These features come with an annual fee. I do not believe the price is known yet. This was revealed originally on the Pokemon Direct and the official website has updates as well.

For the quick answer to the question, Will you be able to bring your pokemon up from past gens?: YES, you can.

You can bring them back from past Gens but only through Black/White and Black 2/White 2. It won't work If you cloned or hacked the Pokemon from a cheating device but If you RNG (Random Number Generator) abused the Pokemon it should go through. If you get disconnected from the Internet while using Pokemon Bank/Poke Transporter to migrate Pokemon from Gen V to Gen VI then there should be a fail-safe that sends the data back to it's original source instead of getting permanently deleted.

The price to transfer Pokemon from Gen V to Gen VI was announced as a yearly fee of 500 yen in Japan which is the equivalent of $5 here in North America and Canada, as for how much it will cost in Europe I'm not sure. I'm sure it will be dirt cheap it's not like Nintendo and Game Freak are going to pull a Microsoft and screw over their own customers especially with the reveal of the XBOX One at E3 this year. The fact that they got rid of mini-games in order to transfer is great, not that it bothered me but it was a nice change of pace.

Now that Pokémon Bank/Transporter is confirmed, this thread is kinda redundant now amirite? :p

Back