XY Prereleases and What Happens There

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
Hey, I'm not sure if this is the best place to put this thread, but I had a question: what happens at modern Prereleases? I wanted to know this beause I planned on attending the Furious Fists pre-release and I just wanted a heads-up on what usually goes down.

-Do you get any cards, booster packs, etc for participating?

-What is the required age?

-Is trading allowed there?

Just hoping I could get some information before I go, thanks!

RE: Xy Prereleases and what happens there.

You arrive, pay the entry fee and get given 6 booster packs of whatever set the prerelease is for. You then have to build a 40 card deck from the cards from those six packs and you play a mini competition with 4 prize games. When that's over you get two extra packs and only then are you allowed to trade. They're usually great fun and I would definitely recommend them :)

RE: Xy Prereleases and what happens there.

yo_chocola said:
You arrive, pay the entry fee and get given 6 booster packs of whatever set the prerelease is for. You then have to build a 40 card deck from the cards from those six packs and you play a mini competition with 4 prize games. When that's over you get two extra packs and only then are you allowed to trade. They're usually great fun and I would definitely recommend them :)

Man, an Elite Trainer Box's worth of Boosters? That a ton! I know it's paid admission, but wow, now I don't have to go out and purchase one when they eventually come out on the 13th. Maybe I could pull a Dragonite-EX! Thanks for the tips!

Though, I do have another question:

Being that I'm only a Teenager, I don't have a liscence, so my dad was going to take me to the event. As long as he doesn't participate, will he have to pay admission? What I mean to say is, he would just be with me, not opening packs, playing, or trading. Also, how long do the event's usually last? I just want to be as prepared as I can.

GadgetJax said:

Being that I'm only a Teenager, I don't have a liscence, so my dad was going to take me to the event. As long as he doesn't participate, will he have to pay admission? What I mean to say is, he would just be with me, not opening packs, playing, or trading. Also, how long do the event's usually last? I just want to be as prepared as I can.

Your doesn't have to pay. Events usually go for about 3-4 rounds depending on attendance, and from my experiences, PRs usually last 2-4 hours.

Brave Vesperia said:
GadgetJax said:

Your doesn't have to pay. Events usually go for about 3-4 rounds depending on attendance, and from my experiences, PRs usually last 2-4 hours.

Man, you guys are a great help! Thanks for all the tips! Just hoping I can pull a Full Art Dragonite-EX...

Yeah, there is no age limit, and people that bring you don't need to play or pay. Just the people paying need to pay. Sadly, I usually can't attend prereleases, but when I can, it's a blast :D

Be sure to bring card sleeves though. Last thing you're going to want is a beat up condition ex card! Happens all the time too!

You can also win additional boosters if you fulfill enough "achievements" in a Bingo-like table in the games you play (like "play a Supporter card"), at least in Germany and Austria... dunno if it's the same over there.

achievements.jpg

There might also be a draft after the prerelease. I've never been to one personally as I'm unsure whether or not the $30 fee + time/gas spent is worth 8 packs and some free extras...

Teal said:
You can also win additional boosters if you fulfill enough "achievements" in a Bingo-like table in the games you play (like "play a Supporter card"), at least in Germany and Austria... dunno if it's the same over there.

achievements.jpg

These sorts of events are usually handled on a league-by-league basis, with the TOs hosting additional events/prizes at their own discretion however they wish (within the rules of course). At the Prerelease I attended back in the States a couple years ago, prizes (usually in the form of additional boosters, though one of the TOs also custom-made Pokémon hats and there were some other prizes too) were given out for a bunch of different categories for participants.

If you go in with the mindset of getting a really rare card you are probably going to be disappointed, but that doesn't mean you won't get something good. I can guarantee you that you will have a good time. Also since a lot of people are trapped there use your charm to get some pretty good trades.

Thought I might as well mention this: The pre-release I'll be at is hosted at Galactic Greg's in Valporaiso, Indiana, on August 2nd. So, maybe in you're lucky, you might see me there!

Well, I'm back from pre-releases, and I had lots of fun! I ended up getting some good pulls overall, but first, my deck!

I don't remember all the details, but it used Gothitelle, Vibrava, Hitmonlee, Deddene, Golett, and Hawlucha-EX among others. I came in 2nd place for the Senior Division, so yay! Surprisingly, everyone who participated got a Prerelease Die, which I thought looked awesome. As for the results of said battles, in my first match, I won against someone using Pangoro/Machoke. In my 2nd match, I won against Seismitoad/Vigoroth, of all things! It was a close match! Unfortunately, in my last battle, I lost to someone who got extremely lucky with his pulls... he had 2 Landorus, 3 Hitmonchans, and 2 Clawitzers. T_T

As for my pulls, I was stunned. On my first 6 packs, I got a Holo Clawitzer, a Reverse Raichu, and a Hawlucha-EX. On my extra 2 packs, I got Reverse Mienshao, Reverse Magmortar, and Full Art Heracross. Afterwards, I did some trading and ended up with a 2-2 line of Electivire's and Magmortar's.

I had a great time, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to have some relaxing Pokemon fun!

Back