Yanmega...

Zyflair

Yes, sir. Of course, sir.
Advanced Member
... is strangely paired with only other snipers and spreaders.

This is what I see with Yanmega:
Frolass
Bronzong
Empoleon
Dragonite...

This is something I saw suggested:
Giratina.

Why most Yanmega be only paired with others of its catergory? Giratina can actually work with it since Yanmega requires no energy and has no retreat cost... But is that all?

What about Sharpedo, who can do 60 damage but an extra 20 if the defending pokemon already had 20 damage on it? Even more, it only has to use three energies and has a super fast zero retreat cost as well. But wait, there's even more; add a few special dark and you'll have 90-100 damage for three energies.

Let's do the math. One Yanmega spreads 20-30. Sharpedo does 80.

20 + 80 = 100
30 + 80 = 110

But then there's Sharpedo's Body, giving two more damage counters to those that damage it. So without special energies, Bucks or PP, Sharpedo can KO an attacking 120-130 hp pokemon.

Thoughts?

Sharpedo has 80 hp. When you invest 3 energy onto something, you expect it to live longer then 1 turn. The math says its good, but its slow in reality. Yanmega is put with other spreaders because people are not that creative. Yanmega can go with other cards, such as cresslia, dusknoir (let a few die while spreading, then sweep), garchomp, ect. Anything that takes alot of energy to use works well with yanmega. However, those pokemon can all take a hit (well, maybe not cresslia).

Hmm... lemme keep that in mind...

So what is min. hp you except to at least invest 3 energies in?

Yeah, Sharpedo's HP is too low to use a 3 energy attack effectively. If it was 90, it'd be slightly better, but alas, it is not.

However, Yanmega can combo with quite a bit. Though I myself use MegaZong, I would still eventually like to try out other combinations. That's the best thing about Yanmega. Its flexibility. I was even the one that thought of the Giratina and Yanmega combo.

90 is absolute minimum, so it can't be KO'd by Raichu. Higher than that is preferable, though. 110+ sounds good to me.

Dictator Dauntless said:
Who plays Raichu?

No one, everyone's just paranoid that Raichu is going to be the end of the world and Claydol will become completely unplayable.

Dictator Dauntless said:
Who plays Raichu?

Raichu Lv. X SF, the one that can attack twice in a turn with an 80 damage attack that targets any opponent on the field.

And don't try to downplay Raichu, Zelos. He's scary as heck. It won't be the end of Claydol, but it's sure gonna hurt.

Dictator Dauntless said:
Who plays Raichu?

I've used raichu. =o It's good. Never underestimate the evolved form of the very popular pikachu XXD PLUS when the lvl x comes out, woah, scary XD

So much faster, and Raichu Lv X's sniping hardly means anything... (since there isn't much precious stuff on the bench).

Ummm, then it swings for 120 and wins? :/ lol and scizor 2 shots it (both do that, except chu gets 2 attacks.)

Accelerate? You need a plus power for that to work, and I can simply warp around it. Not that hard to play around. But back on topic, yanmega definately looks promising with shyamin X (130 hp spreading t1-on is great).

Papi/Manny said:
Accelerate? You need a plus power for that to work, and I can simply warp around it. Not that hard to play around. But back on topic, yanmega definately looks promising with shyamin X (130 hp spreading t1-on is great).

Heard of Cherrim SF?

And T1 spreading? You need to go second and a rare candy for that to work! :p

Alright then, T2.

Anyway, I liked that Dusknoir and Yanmega combo Papi mentioned earlier. When SF comes out, I'll run that. And when Shaymin Lv. X comes after that, I'll probably tech that in.

Back