Yveltal EX / Garbodor

RE: Darkrai EX / Sableye / Garbodor

What is the difference in builds of the aggressive and stall version of this deck? I'm not sure which mine goes into.. I play 3 sableye but thats because junk hunt for the first turns to setup is good. i also love it for plasma decks. Enhanced hammer them until they have a deprivation of energy then use Darkrai to knock out along with hypnos and virbanks for the death coming into your turn
I can post my list if anyone wants to see it

Down here in Aus last season saw plenty of slower decks, I for one played slower Garbodor variants, you can do well, just you need to win game 1, or at least keep it short.

Did Aus have 50 minutes bo3?

And even so, needing to win game 1 is a pretty big deal. Having a situation where recovering from losing game 1 is close to impossible is not a situation you want to be in when going into a tournament. Keeping it short is fine, but if you're playing a slow deck (like this), game 1 can often be dragged out for a very long time and you could still lose.

Blah said:
Did Aus have 50 minutes bo3?

And even so, needing to win game 1 is a pretty big deal. Having a situation where recovering from losing game 1 is close to impossible is not a situation you want to be in when going into a tournament. Keeping it short is fine, but if you're playing a slow deck (like this), game 1 can often be dragged out for a very long time and you could still lose.

those are just risk that are obvious when playing this deck. in the last format we had to play decks we felt could win game 1 confidently right? its pretty much the same with this deck. it doesnt matter if you cant hit game 3 in one round if you won all the game 1's in 40mins of every other round (and thats talking about the people who decide to go sable-hard). In most aggressive variants you can get everything up and running by T4 and play games out quickly. It's up to luck and the player's ability when it comes to how negatively this time limit will affect play (which is the same for all decks).

this deck does play slower in general and a 50 min time limit isnt the best setting for it to win but that doesnt mean its impossible or that, by any means, this deck is done.

[split] Yveltal EX / Darkrai EX

So the winner of the South African nationals ran Darkrai Garbodor, but instead of running bicycle he ran bianca. I can see some advantages and disadvantages of this tactic but I want to hear some discussion on it.

RE: Yveltal EX / Darkrai EX

Elbow said:
So the winner of the South African nationals ran Darkrai Garbodor, but instead of running bicycle he ran bianca. I can see some advantages and disadvantages of this tactic but I want to hear some discussion on it.
Personally in Darkrai/Garb, I like bicycle. You can usually burn the cards in your hand to get 3 to 4 card bikes, which gives you the explosive power needed in the deck, and allows you to save your supporter for Juniper or N. Not to mention bike can be junk hunted.

Slowbro said:
Elbow said:
So the winner of the South African nationals ran Darkrai Garbodor, but instead of running bicycle he ran bianca.
I can see some advantages and disadvantages of this tactic but I want to hear some discussion on it.
Personally in Darkrai/Garb, I like bicycle. You can usually burn the cards in your hand to get 3 to 4 card bikes, which gives you the explosive power needed in the deck, and allows you to save your supporter for Juniper or N. Not to mention bike can be junk hunted.
Well, I don't see how sableye would be good with bike. Yveltal decks run 1 of him at most (and 1 dowsing machine), but anyways he usually gets Random Reciever and Laser. If you're looking to get RR, then why wouldn't you want to have more supporters in your deck? Typical DarkGarb decks run 4 N, 4 Juniper 1-2 Colress, 2-3 Bike, and 2-3 RR. If you switch those bike to Bianca then those random recievers become more useful. In addition, in Darkrai I always seem to have a smaller hand (with Ultra Ball, Dowsing, and many other easily useable cards), so Bianca would be more of a benefit (2 extra cards) then bike.
Also, Bike isn't as helpful as Bianca. 4 cards vs. 6 is very different. I've had to use bike for 1 many times and I feel it won't be as effective as a draw 3, even as a supporter.
That said it is versatile, but if you want to keep some draw consistency then add in a 1-1 electrode, it works if you're running it with Raichu because of the level ball search. I personally don't run this and would suggest the Bianca strategy.

Elbow said:
Slowbro said:
Well, I don't see how sableye would be good with bike. Yveltal decks run 1 of him at most (and 1 dowsing machine), but anyways he usually gets Random Reciever and Laser. If you're looking to get RR, then why wouldn't you want to have more supporters in your deck? Typical DarkGarb decks run 4 N, 4 Juniper 1-2 Colress, 2-3 Bike, and 2-3 RR. If you switch those bike to Bianca then those random recievers become more useful. In addition, in Darkrai I always seem to have a smaller hand (with Ultra Ball, Dowsing, and many other easily useable cards), so Bianca would be more of a benefit (2 extra cards) then bike.
Also, Bike isn't as helpful as Bianca. 4 cards vs. 6 is very different. I've had to use bike for 1 many times and I feel it won't be as effective as a draw 3, even as a supporter.
That said it is versatile, but if you want to keep some draw consistency then add in a 1-1 electrode, it works if you're running it with Raichu because of the level ball search. I personally don't run this and would suggest the Bianca strategy.
The importance of Bike lies in it not being a supporter. Sure drawing up to 6 is stronger than drawing up to 4, but drawing up to 6 is so much worse than N or Juniper. Bianca actually makes RR worse, because without it, you'll always RR for an incredibly strong draw supporter, not a weak alternative. Sure with bike, you'll get bad draws (0-1), but those can happen with Bianca (not often, but you can't ignore that it still can happen), and this is one of the easiest decks to burn cards. You have ultra ball, dowsing machine/computer search, tons of burnable items, and just about all your pokemon can be dropped immediately, unlike stage 2 decks. Bike is tried and true, and there's a reason people stopped using Bianca once alternatives became available.

Slowbro said:
Elbow said:
The importance of Bike lies in it not being a supporter. Sure drawing up to 6 is stronger than drawing up to 4, but drawing up to 6 is so much worse than N or Juniper. Bianca actually makes RR worse, because without it, you'll always RR for an incredibly strong draw supporter, not a weak alternative. Sure with bike, you'll get bad draws (0-1), but those can happen with Bianca (not often, but you can't ignore that it still can happen), and this is one of the easiest decks to burn cards. You have ultra ball, dowsing machine/computer search, tons of burnable items, and just about all your pokemon can be dropped immediately, unlike stage 2 decks. Bike is tried and true, and there's a reason people stopped using Bianca once alternatives became available.

But bike was more versatile with sableye...
And now that sableye is out its not as great.
And how is bianca a bad supporter? For one, unlike N Juniper and Colress, bianca allows you to keep your hand. This is important to play strategy too because you can keep your original hand of 1-4.
And RR is really good with bianca because it can help you drop a card from your hand.

Elbow said:
Slowbro said:

But bike was more versatile with sableye...
And now that sableye is out its not as great.
And how is bianca a bad supporter? For one, unlike N Juniper and Colress, bianca allows you to keep your hand. This is important to play strategy too because you can keep your original hand of 1-4.
And RR is really good with bianca because it can help you drop a card from your hand.
Bike is even better with Yveltal, because it allows you to get those explosive turns and charge up Yveltals out of nowhere, and keep the pressure on your opponent. Sure, drawing up to six is ok, but it's just that. It's nothing compared to the power of N, Juniper, or even Colress, which are much stronger supporters and what you want to see off of your random receivers.

Bianca doesn't seem that good honestly. You don't usually want to hold onto cards with this deck; you usually just want to play them all each turn.

On the other hand, I really do not like Bicycle in this deck. I feel like it was always my only draw card, and I'd draw 2-3 cards with it, then I'd whiff a supporter and lose because I'm drawing dead for a long time. Random Receiver also thins your deck out of supporters, which makes you even less likely to hit a supporter off of Bicycle. It can also sometimes force you to play down resources you really don't need to, like Lasers, or Professor's Letters, Ultra Ball (while discarding other resources), and if you didn't use those resources before playing Bicycle, you'll draw less cards and draw dead off much more often. At least Bianca gives you more time to use those resources for something useful before you burn them away (since it's a supporter and not an Item, it can be used in more circumstances). Unless you're running like 16 draw cards and no RR or something crazy like that, I would always run another draw supporter over Bicycle.

I also made a video a few weeks ago all about how much I dislike Bicycle, so you can go check that out if you want my full opinion on it.

How do you guys play in the Yveltal mirror match?

Also, how will you guys deal with Yveltal/Raichu?

I'm going to be running Yveltal/Garbodor, but I don't think it does so well in the Yveltal/Raichu matchup. Thoughts?

Shök said:
How do you guys play in the Yveltal mirror match?

Also, how will you guys deal with Yveltal/Raichu?

I'm going to be running Yveltal/Garbodor, but I don't think it does so well in the Yveltal/Raichu matchup. Thoughts?
I've been testing a shadow circle and its seems good against the raichu matchup.

I'm hearing some talk regarding this deck not being viable after the rotation. I definitely consider myself a new player and I'm very open to opinions on why people think this.

Personally, I know the deck is losing a lot of speed with the rotation of Dark Patch and Sableye. However, I still think the deck packs a lot of punch. There's also Ether so I might be able to work to an extent.

What are you guys opinions? Do you think the deck will still be considered "good"? What cards are you considering after the rotation?

I don't think dedicated Yveltal-EX decks have much of a future, especially Yveltal-EX/Garbodor. Without Dark Patch, Aromatisse decks are largely superior to regular Yveltal, whereas Landorus-EX (and other big basic attackers) will be better partners for Garbodor.

The only way I imagine we will ever see a strong Yveltal deck running primarily darkness energy in the future is if another good form of darkness (or general) acceleration is introduced.

Back