Ancient Origins [8/15, aka Bandit Ring]

For those saying the game will be overcentralized, I don't think so. It actually opens up new strageties and get rids of the annoying rule of waiting before evolving. SHIFTRY!

You say "annoying rule" I say "iconic game mechanic that adds meat and strategy to the game".

I take neither side in this situation. On one hand, I agree that the whole idea of using an Evolution is to take your time in order to reach a huge powerhouse, but on the other hand, Evolution Acceleration has been in almost every era (I don't think there were any options from the E Series), so I see no design flaw in a card like Giant Plant Forest when we've had Broken Time-Space in the past, where Stage 2 decks were already better than most Basic decks - aside from Pokemon SP engines, anyway.

Well,the card speaks for itself in terms of viability. It's amazing. Instead, here are all the Grass Pokemon in the format that would benefit from this.

-Mega Venusaur-EX (It already gained Mega Turbo, so now you can play it down during turn 1 to avoid having a first turn where you wait until the turn AFTER that turn to evolve.)
-Shiftry FLF (Good attacker, good draw support, and you're quicker now with the Stadium)
-Mega Heracross-EX (Same as Venusaur)
-Venomoth PHF (Never really saw play, but now that it can set up faster, it seems like it could be a good stall card)
-Yanmega PHF (Again, setting up quicker allows it to actually be useful with Windfall)
-Sceptile PRC (I see so many people on TCGONE using this with Trevenant-EX, so now it can actually work)
-Ludicolo PRC (I know it's still kind of inconsistent since it relies on a coin flip, but you never know.)
-Beautifly RSK (We need Safeguard that's reliable in XY-on, and now we somewhat have it. Much slower, though.)
-Vileplume ANC (It will probably see play anyway, so now it has a tool to make it even better. I know it's not good to predict playability before a card releases, but it's a reprint, so we know it'll at least be somewhat good. AZ COMBO EQUALS BROKEN)

Here's an extension of my original post theming off of the Expanded Format:

-Serperior BW (Good for healing, so think of it as a slower but stronger version of Jynx FUF.)
-Amoonguss NXD (No more waiting a turn to Poison, but probably won't do much outside of Ninetales decks because you can't use Virbank.)
-Venusaur DEX (Did this card ever see play? Not sure if it did, but searching out a Venusaur so you can search indefenitely for the rest of the game is amazing. I've been testing Expanded Garchomp recently, and Gabite helps swarm amazingly, so this could be fun, yet gimmicky.
-Accelgor DEX (Accelgor's already one of the best Expanded-exclusive decks right next to Huntail/Ho-Oh and Rayquaza/Eelektrik, but now you can start Decking and Covering turn 1. Who doesn't love being auto-paralyzed during the first turn?)
-Roserade DRX (It's a free search anywhere when you play it down, so it essentialy turns any copy of AZ or a ScoopUp-effect into a Computer Search. Nice.)
-Vileplume BCR (I've seen some really fun gimmick decks using this with Pachirisu, so now you can set up as needed. Could be a budget deck.)
-Cherrim PLS (It's a double Jynx. That sounds strong.)
-Exeggutor PLF (It may be losing steam with the rise in Shaymin-EX, but I still think that Exeggutor is slightly competitive.)

Man, the Pokemon Company is on a roll with all of this hype that it's generating. I haven't felt this excited for a set since Furious Fists (which turned out to be kind of messy), so I can't wait to see what else they've got in store!

Artwork: Its blurry so I can't give it a complete rating but it looks promising so far. Jagged Saber is a super awesome attack name and is so far the best part of the artwork. ?/10

Card text: Cheap energy cost, good damage, energy acceleration, and large heals all in one. M-Sceptile EX is a force to be reckon with. If only we knew what M-Sceptile's ancient trait did, if it is Theta-Stop or a new one entirely. The video makes it seem like he has a 2 star retreat cost however which is heavier than I expected M-Sceptile EX to have. I was expecting either free retreat or a 1 star cost at most. But so far it looks fairly good, and without knowing that ancient trait it can only get better from here. 8/10

Overall: ??/10. I need this card regardless.

Now this is interesting.. Decent damage output, low energy cost, great attack effect (if that's actually his attack's effect and not wrong/part of his AT) an unknown AT that could be super helpful, a spirit link to rid that horrid mega rule, AND a stadium that basically gives him delta evolution.. Sceptile could be a pretty great card with the right tools!

@Water Pokémon Master, I think I see 1 Retreat, either that or 0.

On a side note,

HOLY CRAP THAT CARD IS GOOD!!!

My faith in Pokémon's ability to make good fair cards is restored.

During a cut in the match, before you see the player retreat the M-Sceptile EX, there are no energy in the discard, he draws into a 2nd grass energy, and then there is a shot of him retreating and there looks like to be at least 1 grass energy in the discard, but when he attacks with the new M-Sceptile EX and attaches the 2 grass energies to the benched one, the benched one didn't have any grass energy on it anymore (presumably from retreating) making his retreat cost 2 stars.

I do have to say I wish that M. Sceptile EX had been a dragon type. Maybe we'll see another one somewhere as a dragon type.

That being said, from what we can see M. Sceptile EX is actually very cool.

Unknown Trainer? Isn't that just the new stadium card revealed earlier?

Anyway, M-Sceptile EX seems awesome. I'm just curious to know if the whole effect is from the attack or if the "Theta ???" has something to do with it, like Dappers said. Either way, it probably will be really relevant for the new format.

During a cut in the match, before you see the player retreat the M-Sceptile EX, there are no energy in the discard, he draws into a 2nd grass energy, and then there is a shot of him retreating and there looks like to be at least 1 grass energy in the discard, but when he attacks with the new M-Sceptile EX and attaches the 2 grass energies to the benched one, the benched one didn't have any grass energy on it anymore (presumably from retreating) making his retreat cost 2 stars.

That makes no sense. Mega Sceptile, in-game is faster than Mega Manectric. So why would it be so slow comparatively in the TCG?

Unknown Trainer? Isn't that just the new stadium card revealed earlier?

Anyway, M-Sceptile EX seems awesome. I'm just curious to know if the whole effect is from the attack or if the "Theta ???" has something to do with it, like Dappers said. Either way, it probably will be really relevant for the new format.

If the effect is partially from Sceptile's AT that means that trait either fully heals when energy is placed or allows you to place energy from your hand after you attack.. Either way that's god like lol.

At first I was super worried about the new Vileplume and BTS stadium for grass types, but we have so many more cards to be seen as well as at least one whole new ancient trait. They have to know by now item lock has always been unbalanced, and we've seen improvements in the ways in can be dealt with (Shaymin EX, Supporter based heal/catchers, etc) Hopefully some new grass types will tell Seismitoad EX to sit down for a bit and other cards will keep Vileplume in check..

If the effect is partially from Sceptile's AT that means that trait either fully heals when energy is placed or allows you to place energy from your hand after you attack.. Either way that's god like lol.

At first I was super worried about the new Vileplume and BTS stadium for grass types, but we have so many more cards to be seen as well as at least one whole new ancient trait. They have to know by now item lock has always been unbalanced, and we've seen improvements in the ways in can be dealt with (Shaymin EX, Supporter based heal/catchers, etc) Hopefully some new grass types will tell Seismitoad EX to sit down for a bit and other cards will keep Vileplume in check..

That's what I'm hoping for. And Vileplume will be huge but at least now we know (at least I think so) a Sceptile deck may be one that can fucntion well even under item lock. It also can OHKO Seismitoad! Looks like we dont have to live in the Toad's world anymore.

Wow - if that is, in fact, what the move does, it sounds amazing, and a good way to take advantage of a stronger retreat cost starter on the bench...you could even have 2 Mega Sceptiles in play retreating and passing energies to each other (though of course I realize there are ways to stop that)...you can also work in the new Lugia EX, I suppose. While I still hope for a different Sceptile EX (outside the promo one) for this set (as it is so underwhelming), this Mega more than makes up, either way.

Vileplume makes it hard to be excited about this new stadium. Too many locks, not enough keys.

Now the opponent has a registeel on the bench as his only Pokemon... Does that mean that we are going to get a third commercial with the opponent having the regirock? Or is he going to get skipped like moltres in roaring skys?

I'm really starting to get hyped for the grass support in this set. Sceptile is my favourite starter of all regions, and having a AT is definitely appealing!! Im now also hoping for Roserade :UU

I guess that, considering the new Grass-type support they're hyping, it's not that surprising to see that Mega Sceptile EX is a grass-type. Hard to see the card super well, but it's got a nice shot of the Christmas tree tail, so I'm happy. :D

Now the opponent has a registeel on the bench as his only Pokemon... Does that mean that we are going to get a third commercial with the opponent having the regirock? Or is he going to get skipped like moltres in roaring skys?

Did you have a look at the confirmed decks for Ancient Origins, I can't find a reason why they would make a Regirock solely for Ancient Origins and not Bandit Ring. Unless you mean something else...

Wow M Sceptile has a great attack :p I believe the commercial pretty much confirmed that the shinies are reprints :/

Back