Writing PMD: Explorers of Time - PokéBeach Edition! Final Chapter! Help Me Decide The Next One!

Keeper just so very kindly told me I never nominated myself in a playthrough I'm hyped for >.> good on me

If its okay with you Athena, I'd like to ##UNVOTE Teal@Zubat and ##VOTE bbninjas@Zubat

Woo, another playthrough! Can't wait to follow along with this one as well, as the second generation Mystery Dungeon games are some of my favorites of all time. And what better timing, with the news about the new PMD game?

Partner Nominations: Turtwig, Totodile, and Chikorita

Member Nominations:
Grovyle - thegrovylekid
Dusknoir - Myself, TwistedTurtwig
Celebi - Mora
Wigglytuff - WPM
Chatot - Tails
Loudred - Drohn
Diglett - Peer
Dugtrio- Shining Raikou
Sunflora - Teal
Croagunk - BigfootAUS
Chimecho - Le Roi-Soleil
Corphish - Luispipe8
Bidoof - Zyflair
Skuntank - Vom
Zubat - bbninjas
Koffing - Celever
Uxie - Cinesra
Mesprit - PG24
Azelf - One Approved
Dialga - Chaos Jackal
Kabutops - Uralya
Spiritomb - Professor Palutena + professorlight
Luxray - Camoclone
Groudon - Haunted Water
Drowzee - King Arceus
Azurill - Porygon-X
Marill - Kecleon-X
Lapras - PMJ
Magnezone - DNA
Torkoal - Rusty Sticks
Spoink - Scorched Feathers

Woo, another playthrough! Can't wait to follow along with this one as well, as the second generation Mystery Dungeon games are some of my favorites of all time. And what better timing, with the news about the new PMD game?

Totally unintentional, but not a bad thing, for sure. If I end up enjoying this one, I might even pick up the new one when its out. :D

Also, new tally for a new page! I'll probably be starting this up tomorrow morning, so you've still got some time left for nominations if you'd like.

Partner Nominations:
Totodile (6)
Chimchar (4)
Chikorita (4)
Torchic (4)
Turtwig (3)
Squirtle (2)
Pikachu (2)
Mudkip (1)
Cyndaquil (1)
Mudkip (1)
Bulbasaur (1)
Charmander (1)

Member Nominations:
Grovyle - thegrovylekid (6)
Dusknoir - Ice Espeon (1), Chaos Jackal (1), TwistedTurtwig (2)
Celebi - Mora (4), Skyla (1)
Wigglytuff - Drohn (1), Green778 (1), Ice Arceus (2), WPM (1)
Chatot - Tails (4), Drohn (2)
Loudred - WPM (4), Drohn (1)
Diglett - Peer (3), Brave Vesperia (1), Blob55 (1)
Dugtrio - Shining Raikou (3), BigfootAUS (1), Camoclone (1)
Sunflora - Teal (4), Brave Vesperia (1)
Croagunk - BigfootAUS (3), safariblade (1), Chaos Jackal (1)
Chimecho - Shining Raikou (1), Greninjatheninja (1), Machamp the Champion (2), le Roi-Soleil (1)
Corphish - Luispipe8 (3), Glace (1), bbninjas (1)
Bidoof - Zyflair (3), Vom (1), theniceraccoon (1)
Skuntank - Vom (4), Rusty Sticks (1)
Zubat - bbninjas (5)
Koffing - Celever (4), Blob55 (1)
Uxie - Cinesra (3), One Approved (1)
Mesprit - PG24 (3), Reggie McGigas, PMJ (1)
Azelf - One Approved (3), Bacon (1), Otaku (1)
Dialga - Chaos Jackal (4), Shining Raikou (1), PG24 (1)
Kabutops - Uralya (4), Wandering Wolf (1)
Spiritomb - Professor Palutena + professorlight (5)
Luxray - Camoclone (3), omahanime (1), Pikachu6319 (1)
Groudon - Equinox (2), Ice Espeon (1), Haunted Water (1)
Drowzee - King Arceus (4), Celever (1)
Azurill - Porygon-X (4), Rakkis157 (1)
Marill - Kecleon-X (4), Luispipe8
Lapras - PMJ (4), omahanime (1)
Magnezone - DNA (4), GadgetJax (1), Fancy (1)
Torkoal - Rusty Sticks (3), dmaster (1), DNA (1)
Spoink - Scorched Feathers (4), Squirtle Squad (1)

Last edited:
I cannot wait to see this story in action and which member will be playing which PMD character (excluding the Starter and the Partner).

Three nominations as Spoink? :p

For my own nominations... How about:
Grovyle - thegrovylekid
Dusknoir - TwistedTurtwig
Celebi - Mora
Wigglytuff - Ice Arceus
Chatot - Drohn
Loudred - WPM
Diglett - peer
Dugtrio - Shining Raikou
Sunflora - Teal
Croagunk - BigfootAUS
Chimecho - Machamp The Champion
Corphish - Luispipe8
Bidoof - Zyflair
Skuntank - Vom
Zubat - bbninjas
Koffing - Celever
Uxie - Cinesra
Mespirit - PG24
Azelf - One Approved
Primal Dialga - Chaos Jackal
Kabutops - Uralya
Luxray - Camoclone
Drowzee - King Arceus
Azurill - Porygon-X
Marill - Kecleon-X
Lapras - PMJ
Magnezone - DNA
Torkoal - Rusty Sticks
Spoink - Scorched Feathers (I'm allowed to vote for myself, right? :p)

They all fit so well, I couldn't think of anyone better!

The Celebi is supposed to be pink and you forgot Magmemite under Magnezone.
BTW, are you going to add shop owners?
If you can find the pink image for Celebi, by all means, please share. I couldn't.
The Magnemite weren't forgotten, they were excluded due to being so minor. Same as the shop owners. We tried to only include characters with major dialogue.

I found a Pink Celebi. >_> <_< Adding to the OP. :p

You can vote for a Partner Pokémon, too, SF!

Prologue: Choices

Now that the time has come to start, it's also time to reveal our cast!

Grovyle - thegrovylekid
Dusknoir - TwistedTurtwig
Celebi - Mora
Wigglytuff - Ice Arceus
Chatot - Tails
Loudred - WPM
Diglett - Peer
Dugtrio - Shining Raikou
Sunflora - Teal
Croagunk - BigfootAUS
Chimecho - Machamp the Champion
Corphish - Luispipe8
Bidoof - Zyflair
Skuntank - Vom
Zubat - bbninjas
Koffing - Celever
Uxie - Cinesra
Mesprit - PG24
Azelf - One Approved
Dialga - Chaos Jackal
Kabutops - Uralya
Luxray - Camoclone
Groudon - Equinox
Drowzee - King Arceus
Azurill - Porygon-X
Marill - Kecleon-X
Lapras - PMJ
Magnezone - DNA
Torkoal - Rusty Sticks
Spoink - Scorched Feathers

Totodile is in first place as Partner, with Chimchar and Chikorita tied for second in case I roll a Water-type starter.

Chapter 1: What the $%*& is going on?

<???> What the $%*&?! Are you okay, or nah? Wait, %#*@, don't let go.... oh bloody hell.
...... ok that's enough dots now
<Athena> Wh-Where am I?
HhVdvT1.png

I was lying on a beach, the sand warm beneath me, waves lapping up against my skin. The sky above was blue and peaceful. A gentle breeze carressed my cheek, and I couldn't quite stifle a yawn....

<Athena> Welp, nice beach and all, but I'm beat, so.... z....​

Meanwhile, in front of a tent that suspiciously looks like you're walking into the belly of a ginormous Wigglytuff...

<Keeper> Hmmmm...
leEAjwI.png

<Keeper> Okay, time to be brave!
<Keeper> Eeeek! *tries to walk into tent, fails, is decidedly un-brave*
<voice coming from nowhere> The footprint is Totodile's! The footprint is Totodile's!
<Keeper> You scared the crap out of me, bro. Not cool. :| *sigh* I guess I'm still not brave enough, even though I totally brought my cool rock thing with a pattern on it that is no way some kind of important item being foreshadowed or anything. Welp, guess I fail at life again. Maybe tomorrow. *walks off into the sunset*​

As Keeper walks off into the sunset, a pair of nefarious goons comes out of hiding from nearby. How do we know they're goons? Because they're a Koffing and a Zubat, obviously. But aside from speciesist Pokémon stereotyping, I'm also writing this paragraph after having already seen the dialogue section section below where they talk about stealing Keeper's rock, so I guess you could say I speak from experience. Also, uh, spoiler alert for what's going to happen in the next dialogue section, I guess.

<Celever> Hey, bb.
<bbninjas> Hey, uh, Cel.
<Celever> Did you get a load of that dude's treasure rock thing?
<bbninjas> Of course I did, with my complete and total lack of eyes and all. I see everything. In my imagination.
<Celever> ...
<bbninjas> ...
<Celever> So, uh, let's steal it.
<bbninjas> 'kay.​

Meanwhile, back on the beach, but now during sunset and with a bunch of Krabby bubbles blowing on the wind....

<Keeper> Man, this is a totally awesome beach that totally makes me forget all of my troubles. Especially with the bubbles floating around. It really adds to the mystery, you know?
<Keeper> Wait... why am I talking to myself? :\ Oh, hey, there's another Pokémon over there. I'll go be an emo over to that guy instead. Hey! You! Yeah, you! Lying on the beach like you're all unconscious and... oh. Uh, you okay, bro? *prod prod*
<Athena> Ugggh... my head hasn't felt this horrible since college.
<Keeper> Yay! You're alive! ^_^ What made you all pass out in the sand like that? Oh, I'm Keeper! Nice to meet you! ^_^
<Athena> You're a.... Pokémon? o_o;
<Keeper> Well, yeah, obvs. >_> So you are.
<Athena> Nope, I'm a human!
<Keeper> Uh, hate to break it you, but... you might want to look down.
<Athena> *looks down* What the #*$&? How did I become a Charmander? o-o;
<Keeper> It was probably that personality quiz you took earlier.
<Athena> But, no, I really am a human! Or I was, anyway, before, well, this happened I guess. I think? My memory is being a bit rusty at the moment.
<Keeper> So, what's your name? ^_^
<Athena> Athena. *points at the little part in <>s*
<Keeper> Oh, yeah, right, duh. Anyway, you don't seem like that bad of a Pokémon. Let's be friends!
<Athena> Okay, sure.
<Keeper> Good! We can keep each other safe from all the weird crazy mean Pokémon that have been showing up. Like these two assholes.​

Suddenly, a Zubat and Koffing attacked from behind! They pushed Keeper down and stole a rock that he had been carrying. Good jobs, guys. Master thieves. Really. You could probably sell that rock for at least... 2 smaller rocks.

<Keeper> Noooooooooooooooooooooooo....
<bbninjas> Smell ya later! *flees*
<Celever> Yeah, loser. *also flees*
<Keeper> Dammit. That rock was my personal treasure.... :< :< :< I need to go get it!
<Athena> Sure, let's go.
<Keeper> Wait, you'll help?
<Athena> Well, I don't really have anything better to do. So, sure, lead the way.​

Keeper took my hand and literally led me to a nearby cave where the 2 miscreants had fled. Some wild Pokémon attacked us along the way, but being a Pokémon myself, I had the ability to fight back! It was strangely satisfying to pound the crap out of a Corsola in person. I also found some money occasionally lying on the ground. Keeper followed behind me as we made our way through the cave until we eventually reached a set of stairs. Yes, stairs in a cave.

<Keeper> Hey, Athena, shouldn't we go down the stairs?
<Athena> Why? We have the whole rest of this floor to explore! You can't just leave a map unexplored; it's against RPG rules.
<Keeper> But I want to get my treasure... :<
<Athena> It won't take that long. Stop being a wimp already.​

Eventually, we finished exploring the level, then went down the stairs to the next level to fight some more dudes, slowly working our way through the cave and beating up Pokémon as we went. Eventually we made our way down to the bottom where our two "friends" were waiting for us.

<Keeper> Hey, uh, you guys!
<Celever> Whadda you want? >:|
<Keeper> You should, uh, give me back that treasure you told right now! Uh, pretty please?
<bbninjas> Wait, treasure? I thought it was just a rock.
<Celever> If it really is treasure, we could probably sell it for a lot of money.
<Keeper> But but but... :<
<Celever> If you want it, you'll have to fight for it!​

As so we fought for it. And kicked their asses, especially once I figured out how to use Ember. Life was good.

<bbninjas> Well, fine, if you want the stupid rock so much you can have it. *toss, flee*
<Celever> But we're still cooler than you; you just got lucky! *flee*
<Keeper> Yay! My treasure! ^_^ Thank you so much for helping me. <3
<Athena> No probs.
<Keeper> Let me now tell you the wonderful amazing story about my treasure rock.
<Athena> Ohboy, here we go. >.>
<Keeper> I've always loved history and ruins and treasure and stuff. And then I found this! My own historical treasure ruin! ^_^ It's got this sweet-ass magical inscription and everything.
<Athena> Ooooooooh.
<Keeper> This thing is totally bound to be important to the plot at some point, right?
<Athena> Yeah, totally. I'm glad we got it back.
<Keeper> Anyway, so that's why I want to be an explorer. There are these explorer teams and stuff and I want to join one... but I'm such a coward. :< Maybe you'd like to come with me? I mean, you're an amnesiac who thinks you're a human, so you probably don't have anything better to do anyway. We could make a team of the two of us!
<Athena> Sure. wynaut.jpg
<Keeper> That's the spirit! Let's go sign-up! ^_^​

And so Athena and Keeper formed their own exploration team and it was the best ever. The end.

Well, not really the end end, but, you know, the end of the chapter. Sheesh this felt like it was a long chapter.

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 7 Charmander
Keeper: Lv. 7 Totodile

Player Notes:

So, I've started. Hurray! The game really tosses you right into things. I hope at some point I'll get better saving options, but for now I was just kind of plugging along and typing as I went, flipping the 3DS closed if it was going to be a while.

I'll admit, I didn't expect to roll myself a Charmander. According to the quiz thing, my aura is bright neon pink and I have a Brave nature, go figure. The first time I started up this game, I rolled a Turtwig. Shy, complacent Grass-types seem more like my personality, but I'm not going to complain, since Charmander is pretty sweet. And this, of course, means that Keeper gets to be Totodile.

I kind of fumbled around the first dungeon. I'm not really good at positioning myself for attacks, and then Keeper and I lost against Celever/bb the first time because I couldn't figure out how much HP Keeper had, and then how to give him the Oran Berry I picked up and overall I was just really noobish. The bright side is that it meant I got to go through the dungeon again and gain another level, so, yay? And then I gained Ember and I figured out how to use that, which helped a lot.

So, I guess I haven't really gotten all that far yet, but a lot of plot and stuff, so enjoy!

Last edited:
So... Corphish happened. :v At least I found out this was a thing, I'll make sure to keep up to it. ;)

Here's the moral of the story: don't drink too much or you may end up in some strange beach.

It's funny to see how KoN's personality clashes with that of the partner Pokemon. Waiting for the next installment.

Prologue gets the story get off to a good start, and I can't wait to see all the Guildmembers in action.

Including myself as Chatot; SQUAWK!

It's funny to see how KoN's personality clashes with that of the partner Pokemon.

Yeah, I found this very amusing, too. :p

Out of curiosity, is Keeper's in-game craven personality meant to act as sort of an opposite to Athena's since I scored as a "Brave" nature on the personality quiz, or is the Partner always a coward? :U

The partner starts out as a huge coward, being scared by Loudred at the Guild as well as Koffing and Zubat of Team Skull. Over time however, your partner becomes more confident in them-self as the story progresses.

Character development in a Pokémon story, who'd have thought? :p

Back