Writing PMD: Explorers of Time - PokéBeach Edition! Final Chapter! Help Me Decide The Next One!

Chapter 1: What the $%*& is going on?

<???> What the $%*&?! Are you okay, or nah? Wait, %#*@, don't let go.... oh bloody hell.
Please don't make me swear like that later in the story...
[/QUOTE]

Not really sure why you consider that a spoiler, but the creative asterisking was mostly used because it seemed appropriate in that particular context. :p I do swear like a sailor myself, and it creeps into my writing occasionally, but usually not to much of an extend unless I feel it's fitting.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what I think when I get there. :D

Might be fun to have him use corny, old-timey insults, or like Shakespearean ones instead. :p

I guess I'll have to wait and see what I think when I get there. :D

Might be fun to have him use corny, old-timey insults, or like Shakespearean ones instead. :p
Uhhh... Grovyle isn't the type of guy to know or use Shakespearean...

I don't swear [outside of damn] and I don't want to be represented this way...
I mean, this is fair enough, but at the same time this is a... uh... fanfiction(?) for everyone here. Honestly not having Grovyle swear will jeapordise the story :/

It's a playthrough in a PG-13 site, how bad can the swearing get? But Grovyle can't be all polite and nice. He's Grovyle. Why do you think I would have chosen him in a different scenario?

I can see Grovyle with a monocle and corncob pipe coming up to Athena and Keeper and then then throwing out an insult-riddled sonnet on them. :p

As much as I'm amused by the discussion of how or how not I should characterize Groyvle when he arrives in the scene, I feel the need to point out that it's pretty meaningless. I'll characterize him exactly how I feel he should be characterized when the time comes. I hardly know anything about this game, so I have no preconceived notions, and no thoughts of plans of how I will handle him. If I feel he should swear, he'll swear. If I feel he should wear a tutu and dance around on his tip-toes while speaking completely in rhyme, then say hello to Ballerina Groyvle.

@thegrovylekid: if you (or anyone else, for that matter) do not accept the fact that I can (and will) use your member name in this playthrough to write a character how I feel they should be written, then please let me know and I will remove you from my playthrough and replace you with someone else.

I'm honestly bemused to see how I'd be portrayed as Chatot. I honestly can't wait to find out.

This is going to be so hilarious simply because Athena doesn't know how to play xDDD

And I stole a rock <3

Good job, grunt! Now just prevent some guys from stealing it >.> I mean, you're a professional thief and all that, ya'know?

*ahem*
Nice Chapter 1! I really want to see how I will be portrayed :V Please make me beat up bbninjas xD

As much as I'm amused by the discussion of how or how not I should characterize Groyvle when he arrives in the scene, I feel the need to point out that it's pretty meaningless. I'll characterize him exactly how I feel he should be characterized when the time comes. I hardly know anything about this game, so I have no preconceived notions, and no thoughts of plans of how I will handle him. If I feel he should swear, he'll swear. If I feel he should wear a tutu and dance around on his tip-toes while speaking completely in rhyme, then say hello to Ballerina Groyvle.

@thegrovylekid: if you (or anyone else, for that matter) do not accept the fact that I can (and will) use your member name in this playthrough to write a character how I feel they should be written, then please let me know and I will remove you from my playthrough and replace you with someone else.
Sorry Athena. :( It was just kind of a shock to see you portray him like that, because the main reason grovyle is my favourite Pokémon is because of how he is portrayed in this game, so yeah. I'll go along with it, I love these games, and I'm excited to see where this goes.

I don't even know who mystery text guy from the opening is. He just seemed someone who was really surprised about bad stuff happening and it went from there.

The swearing in the title isn't even supposed to be from that perspective, but from mine. After all, if I woke up on a strange beach in a different body, I'd probably be swearing up a storm, too.

Chapter 2: Athena and Keeper, Team Awesome

Keeper led me from the beach to a nearby town and up onto a cliff with a tent, fire pits, and other decoration all around. A suspicious-looking grate covered the floor in front of the entrance.

<Keeper> Welp, here we are! This is the guild! :D
<Athena> It... looks like the door is leading into the belly of a giant Wigglytuff. o_o
<Keeper> Yeah, I know, you already said that in the narration of Chapter 1.
<Athena> Well it's true! :U
<Keeper> But it makes sense, since it's a Wigglytuff that's in charge of the exploration guild! His name is Ice Arceus; he's a pretty cool guy.
<Athena> There's a Wigglytuff... named Arceus...
<Keeper> Ice Arceus. But, yeah, it's kind of confusing, so we mostly just call him IA.
<Athena> Oh, good, that's shorter to type, too.
<Keeper> Anyway, first we need to register our team, then we have to train until we become a first-rate exploration team!
<Athena> Are you going to keep narrating gameplay details to me the whole game?
<Keeper> Only until you stop being a noob.
<Athena> Fair.
<Keeper> I admit, though... I'm still scared. With you by my side, though, I think I'll be brave enough to enter! *steps forward*
<???> POKÉMON DETECTED.
<Keeper> Eep!
<???> The footprint is Totodile's!
<Keeper> Must... not... flip out...
<???> You may ENTER!
<Keeper> Oh, phew.
<???> Now go get that other Pokémon who's voice I heard to also stand over this suspicious grate.
<Athena> Welp, here goes nothing.
<???> POKÉMON DETECTED.
<Athena> ... no $#!&, Sherlock.
<??? The footprint is.... umm... can I phone a friend?
<???2> What's the hold up, sentry?!
<???> Ummm...
<???2> Come on, peer, spit it out!
<peer> Well, uh.... maybe it's a.... Charmander?
<???2> Maybe?!
<peer> Look, dude, starters are a pretty rare commodity. I've hardly seen any of them...
<???2> Excuses, excuses! Just do your job, peer.
<peer> I can't help it if I don't know it... ;~;
<???2> Well, it looks like a good enough sort to me. Let 'em in.
<Keeper> Woohoo! Let's go!​

The gate in front of the tent opened up and Keeper and I walked slowly inside. It seemed like a pretty small place to be the headquarters of a large guild, but an explanation was soon forthcoming. The tent was centered around a large hole bored into the ground with a ladder leading into it. The only other objects within the tend were some signs and plants, and a few tapestries on the walls. Huh, who'd have thought Pokémon liked tapestries.

Keeper and I ignored the signs and immediately went down the ladder to the 1st basement level of the guild. It was a surprisingly large area, filled with grass and plants and Pokémon of all types! We stood around with our mouths hanging open until we were interrupted from behind by a brightly-coloured Chatot.

<Tails> Hey guys, 'sup?
<Keeper> Eep! You scared me! ;~;
<Tails> You guys are the ones who just came in, right? Don't answer that, of course you are. I'm Tails, and I know everything. I am the right-hand ma-, er, right-hand Pokémon of IA, our glorious leader!
<Keeper> :D
<Tails> And I'm here to tell you to gtfo.
<Keeper> ... D:
<Tails> We don't want to buy any of your girl scout cookies or whatever.
<Keeper> But but but.... we're here to form an exploration team!
<Tails> Really? You? *chuckle* Our training is so tough and strenuous that only the strongest and most-dedicated Pokémon can survive it.
<Keeper> Is your training really that god awful? o_o;
<Tails> Of course not! It's easy as can be!
<Athena> >_>
<Keeper> <_<
<Tails> We're so happy you're here! Please come this way and we'll get you signed up right away. ^_^
<Athena> Is this guy bi-polar or what? >_>
<Tails> Dude, you guys coming?
<Keeper> Coming!​

The Chatot led the lay back over to the ladders and led us down deeper into the second basement floor.

<Tails> Welcome to the second basement floor!
<Athena> I guess Keeper isn't the only one who gives out pointless explanations...
<Keeper> Wait wait wait... we're underground but you can see outside?! MIND BLOWN.
<Tails> Well, yes, we're built into the side of a cliff, so...
<Keeper> It's like magic...
<Tails> AAAAnyway, this is IA's office over here. Let's barge in respectfully. *kicks door down*​

Guildmaster IA had a rather large and pleasant office. It was filled with rocks and flowers and treasure, and featured two large windows that opened out over the side of the cliff. There was also a large tapestry on the wall; I guess we now know who decorated the tent above. IA himself was seated on a rug on the floor, his back to us and face obscured, clearly contemplating the deep issues of life.

<Tails> Guildmaster! I present to you two Pokémon who wish to join our guild as apprentices. *bows*
<IA> ...
<Tails> Umm... Guildmaster...?
<IA> *flips around* Hiya! ^_^ I'm IA, the guild's Guildmaster!
<Athena> I think we got that the first time it was said... *facepalm*
<IA> Let's get you registered! What's your team's name?
<Keeper> A name? I, uh, haven't thought one up yet...
<Athena> Don't worry; I got this. Clearly we are awesome, so our team name is "Team Awesome".
<Keeper> Team Awesome.... PERFECT.
<IA> Wonderful! ^_^ Registering, registering... all registered! YOOM... TAH!
<Athena> Oh god, is he having a heart attack? o_o;
<IA> Congratulations! You are now officially official. Here, take this kit.
<Keeper> Oh, sweet, free stuff! There's a badge, and a map, and a treasure sack... sweet.
<IA> It's a magic bag that will expand the further you progress throughout the game! To start you off, we already gave you some free loot! Now, go out there and train like pros.
<Keeper> Will do!​

Keeper and I took a moment to pose like a team because stuff got real, then Tails led us out of the office and over to our living quarters, a small room with two beds of hay and a window facing outside.

<Keeper> %*()# yeah, beds!
<Athena> Well... sorta... more like hay piles...
<Keeper> Dude, hay beds are luxurious in the Pokémon world.
<Athena> I guess it's better than passing out on the sand at the beach again.
<Tails> We're going to wake your butts up early tomorrow, so get some sleep~
<Keeper> Aye aye, Cap'n.​

We didn't really have anything to unpack, so we just kind of tossed out exploration kit in the corner and curled up in the hay piles. Okay, fine, I admit it, the hay was quite a bit more comfortable than I was expecting. As I drifted off to sleep, I examined the day's events, wondered what happened to my memory, and thought about what being an explorer would be like. It wasn't like I had all that many options at that point. Despite the thoughts racing around my head, I finally dozed off...

<Keeper> Psst, 'Thena, you awake?
<Athena> ... *snore*
<Keeper> Man, today's been exciting! First I lost my rock, then I stole it back, then I finally worked up the courage to join the guild! Oh, I guess I found you passed out on the beach, too. Man, it's really been busy. I'm so excited! And also sleepy. I guess I should try and rest.​

The next morning...

<???> COME ON YOU LAZY BUTTS, RISE AND SHINE.
<Athena> No, mom, please, 5 more minutes... I don't want to go to school.... *snore*
<???> I SAID RISE AND SHINE.​

Slowly I drifted back into consciousness. I freaked out for a moment until I remembered the previous day's events, meeting Keeper, joining the guild, sleeping on hay. Keeper was there in the other pile next to me, and a large Loudred was standing the doorway, yelling at us and shaking his fists.

<Athena> Err, *snort*, wha?
<WPM> WHY ARE YOU STILL ASLEEP?!
<Athena> Dude, can you tone down the all caps a bit?
<WPM> NO.
<Keeper> Ughh...
<WPM> I'M WPM, AND I'M A FELLOW APPRENTICE. YOU GUYS ARE LATE SO LET'S HUSTLE. I DON'T WANT TO GET IN TROUBLE BECAUSE OF YOU.
<Athena> We're coming, we're coming, keep your pants on.
<WPM> PANTS? WHAT ARE PANTS?
<Athena> Never mind. You can go now, we're awake.
<WPM> THANK YOU. *stomps off*
<Keeper> Oh wow, I almost forgot, we sig--
<Athena> Yeah, you can cut out the explanations again, let's just go; we're already late.
<Keeper> Eek!​

We rushed out of the room. One of the nice things about being a Pokémon is that you don't really have to worry about showering or getting dressed before you're presentable, which makes your morning routine pretty easy.

<Tails> Well, it looks like everyone is here, finally... *cough* Now, stand by for a word from your Guildmaster.
<IA> *snore, snort, grumble*
<Tails> Thank you, sir. We all value your, uh... words of, um, wisdom.
<Athena> Is he... standing in front of us with his eyes wide open but still asleep? o_o;
<Tails> Now, everyone, it's time for your morning cheer!
<Everyone> One! Don't shirk work! Two! Run away and pay! Three! Smiles go for miles!
<Athena> This is the lamest cheer I've ever heard of... ._.;
<Tails> Alright, now get to work!
<Everyone> Hurray!​

Within moments, all of the other Pokémon dispersed, leaving Keeper and I alone with Tails.

<Tails> Hey! Why are you guys just loitering around!
<Athena> Well, we don't have any work yet, sir.
<Tails> *sigh* Newbies. Come on, follow me.​

Tails led us back upstairs and over to a large bulletin board posted on the wall.

<Tails> This is the Job Bulletin Board. Job requests get posted here.
<Athena> Woo, more gameplay explanations.
<Tails> You know all about the bad Pokémon right? >:|
<Keeper> Oh, yeah, those jerks. Something about the flow of time getting messed up and causing problems, right?
<Athena> ... wut o_o;
<Keeper> And that's why bad Pokémon cause problems!
<Athena> Woo, plot exposition.
<Tails> Anyway, that's why we've been getting a tonne of jobs lately. And the flow of time getting messed up is also why we have Mystery Dungeons everywhere. Messing with the flow of time causes thousands of procedurally generated dungeons to pop up all over the world. That's how science works.
<Keeper> Mystery dungeons like the one we explored yesterday while saving my rock!
<Athena> This is... one of the worst in-universe explanations for a gameplay mechanic that I've ever heard of.
<Keeper> *blabs some more about gameplay mechanics*
<Tails> Good job there being a tutorial, Keeper. All of our jobs take place in these dungeons because that's how the game works. So, let's find you an easy one to start off. *looks around the board* Ah, here we go.
<Keeper> *reads* "Hi, my name is Scorched Feathers! A jerk Pokémon stole my treasure and ran off with it."
<Athena> Huh, I wonder if his treasure was also a rock.
<Keeper> Nope, says here it's a pearl.
<Athena> Well, at least that's a real treasure....
<Keeper> *reading* "I just can't settle down if that pearl isn't in its proper place on top of my head."
<Athena> ... Pokémon are weird.
<Keeper> *skims* Anyway, seems someone spotted the jerk that stole the pearl over on a rocky bluff, but SF's too afraid to go after it. So he wants an exploration team to get it back for him.
<Athena> So kinda like we did with you the other day, but someone else's item.
<Keeper> This is... a super lame adventure.
<Athena> Yeah, seriously. >_>
<Tails> Yeah, well, you guy are noobs, so you get the crappy jobs until you've proven yourselves.
<Keeper> But but but...
<Tails> Do you want me to recite game mechanics at you some more! >:|
<Athena> Please no! Anything but that!
<Tails> Then go do your job! *flies off*
<Athena> Alright, well, let's do it. Does the thing say exactly where to go?
<Keeper> Yep, it's over at the... Drenched Bluffs, on floor B7.
<Athena> ... he even knows what floor it's on? >_>​

With a sigh, Keeper and I grabbed our exploration kit and headed off in the direction of the drenched bluffs. We entered the "mysrery dungeon", which was rather similar in design and layout properties as the cave we had dived into to save Keeper's rock. We continued to delve deeper and deeper into the dungeon, KOing Pokémon and picking up items and money as went. Eventually, I started to get hungry, so I ate a gummi that I found on the floor of the cave. notbad.jpg

Eventually we got down to the 7th floor, and there laying in the middle of a circular room was SF's pearl. I pocketed it, and we warped out of the dungeon... somehow. Like pros. Then we made our way back to the guilt headquarters. SF was there waiting for us, wringing his hands and looking around nervous.

<SF> Is that my pearl?!
<Keeper> Yep! :D
<SF> OMG thank you so much ;~; *places on head* Without my pearl on my head I just kept jumping around randomly I was so nervous and I kept banging into things and making such an awful mess and...
<Athena> You're, uh, welcome. *cough*
<SF> Thanks to you, my long nightmare is over! :'D Take this sweet loot as your reward.
<Keeper> Yay, loot!
<Athena> 2000g? WE'RE RICH *_*
<Tails> I'll take that if you don't mind. *yoink*
<Keeper> Hey! What gives? :<
<Tails> Well, between guild fees, room and board, registration costs, your share of the food, miscellaneous expenses, and of course IA's personal cut, your share of the reward is... 200g.
<Keeper> But but but...
<Tails> No butts! Those are the rules. Don't like it, you can leave the guild and get your own jobs.
<Keeper> :<
<MtC> Cheer up guys, it's time for dinner! *dingaling*​

Machamp the Champion, a cute Chinmecho, summoned us off to food with a ring of his bell, and Keeper and I followed him off to join the others in the cafeteria. We both ate a large meal, hungry after our adventures, thoughts of lost profits erased from our minds as we crammed our bellies full of food. Afterward, we said our good nights and went off to get an early bed in hopes of not being late the next day.

<Keeper> Psst, 'Thena, you awake?
<Athena> ... *snore*
<Keeper> Man, today's been even more exciting! Our first adventure! Even if it was a pretty lame adventure and the guild robbed us of most of the money we earned, but, oh well, I guess that's just part of being in a guild. SF looked pretty funny with that pearl on his head, didn't he? Anyway, I guess I should stop rambling and get some sleep.... good night~ <3​

Team Awesome:
Athena:
Lv. 8 Charmander
Keeper: Lv. 8 Totodile

Player Notes:

Hey, I didn't actually remember that you got to name your team, so that was a pretty hilarious coincidence. Team Awesome lives! I would have allowed people to nominate things for the name if I'd known ahead of time, but oh well, this works.

Kind of a long chapter, but I guess that's plot and dialogue for you. Though I don't really have much to write up about the dungeon dives themselves at this point, so it's all good. At some point I assume we'll be able to start catching (or befriending or whatever) other Pokémon and more interesting stuff will happen, but for now it's mostly explore all the rooms, beat up all the dudes, find all the stairs, and move on.

I'm getting better at the gameplay and controls. I explored the menu options a bit, got ribbons on Keeper and I, set special moves, and played around with tactics. I'm not sure if I'm quite yet comfortable about letting Keeper roam off on his own to attack yet since I have no idea how smart the AI is, so I'm just keeping him with me for now. Non-boss combat has all been fairly easy, though. I saw something about getting exp only if you use special moves but I'm just using using the A attack, so...???

I still feel like I haven't really gotten into the game at all, but this chapter was certainly long enough as it was, even if it didn't give me a saving option when we went to sleep. >_> I just kind of closed the 3DS to keep my spot for starting up the next chapter.

Hope you all enjoy!

Last edited:
Vom your goomy sig made me distracted for a good few minutes

I don't actually have anything to add I just wanted to say that

Back