Finished Werewolf XXVII: Revelation

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right. We've managed to con 23 of you into playing. Considering we started this thread with like, what, five? I'm pleased with the turnout. I will be more pleased if everyone actually stays until the end.

Role PMs will be going out as soon as I randomize them. This will take time. The majority of you are going to be asleep anyway, so whatever.

When you receive your role PM, do not confirm until I ask you to. There's a reason for this, and I will explain it after I have sent them all out.

It appears that some of you have it set so I cannot start a Conversation with you. You need to enable it so I can send you your role PM. If you don't, you will have to forfeit your spot.

To confirm receipt of your role PM, like this post. The game will begin once we have 17/23 players confirmed. It will be night zero.

I'm at work so you get no flavor until I get home, at which time I will write it up.

Night zero begin. Please continue to like that post if you haven't confirmed. Anyone up if you want to post on my behalf and tag those who haven't liked the post, I'd be thankful.

Nothing lethal. If you have to ask the answer is probably no but ask anyway

Ice Espeon replaces Growlitheguy.

One thing I should mention, because I know it's the type of thing that will get people lynched:

Each of the Star Witnesses has a line in their role PMs that mentions they are a Star Witness. They have the same formatting, but they are not worded identically due to flavor or just however I felt like writing it. Please keep that in mind.

Werewolf 27: Revelation
Night Zero

Kara's Vale. A growing valley town nearby the Canton Falls after which the town is named. Founded by the current mayor's great-grandfather over a hundred years ago, what started as a simple trading post has grown into a respectable town, due in no small part to the precious gems that have been found deep in the caves surrounding the town. Word of the riches to be mined eventually reached the ears of the mafia, who have slowly infected Kara's Vale.

"Nice place they got here." Thomas Martin, werewolf survivor and ace reporter, gives his assessment of the silent Kara's Vale. There were few people on the street, and those that were stared at the two outsiders with disdain. "Kinda dead if you ask me -- ow! What the hell, Max?"

His assailant, fellow werewolf survivor and traveling medium Maxine Owens, slapped the young man's shoulder again. "Do not speak ill of the dead! There are evil spirits at work here. I can feel their presence."

"Riiight. We're supposed to meet with Mayor Kara. See what's been going on. Maybe she can fill in some blanks... like why everyone is staring at us."

The two headed to the mayor's office, where they were immediately stopped by the guard. "Hold it right there. We'll need to see some identification, both of you." As the two did so, they were scanned with a metal detector and, after they were cleared, were returned their IDs and allowed entry into Town Hall. "Straight ahead, up the stairs, first door on your left. Mayor Kara's in her office."

"Thanks, buddy," Thomas said, entering the large building. Following the guard's instructions, he knocked on the door and waited. A tall brunette opened it and smiled, extending her hand to Thomas, then Maxine. "Hi. Antonia Kara, we spoke on the phone. If you'll come inside, I can explain everything that's been going on."

"You can start why everyone in your town is looking at us like we're devil spawn," Thomas said, a little put off by Mayor Kara's friendliness. "Or why you seem to be the only one in this town who isn't."

"They're all on edge because of the Wise case," she began, sitting in her desk chair. "Please, sit, both of you." She reached into her desk and pulled out a newspaper clipping with a headline that read MAFIA BOSS ARRESTED in large letters. Beneath it, an article titled 'Tristan Wise Vows Revenge'. Mayor Kara kept speaking while Thomas read the clipping. "Tristan Wise has been a thorn in my family's side for over a decade. According to our intelligence, he's been running the mafia for longer than that, and we finally got him. Of course, someone saw us bring him in, and there was a crowd waiting for us when we got to the police station." She gave a small, mirthless laugh. "We actually had to protect him, walking him inside. He shouted that even though he was captured, he had successfully integrated the mafia into Kara's Vale and someone would take his place soon."

Thomas handed the clipping to Maxine. "So what, they think I'm that someone or something?"

"Put simply, yes," Mayor Kara continued. "Wise claimed that there were people in the mafia that we didn't even know about. We'd had a mole working for us, but when Wise revealed him as a double agent, we had him arrested as well. Wise said that there were people in Kara's Vale whose place in the mafia was so secret that only they were aware of their membership. An insurance policy, he called it. So of course, when people found out about what he'd said, commerce basically came to a halt. People stopped going out unless they had to. No one trusts anyone anymore, and that goes double for outsiders like you. Violence has gone up since his arrest. It seems like getting Tristan Wise off the street has brought the crazies out."

"Crazies?" Maxine perked up. This was more her area of expertise. "What do you mean by that?"

Mayor Kara sighed. "There's a group that calls them the Cult of Pandora. They-"

Maxine shot out of her chair. "The Cult of Pandora is here?!" She grabbed Thomas's arm, tried yanking him out of his chiar. "We must leave immediately!"

Thomas broke free of her grip, sat back down. "Whoa, hold on, what? The cult of who?" He pulled out his pen and notepad, started taking notes.

"The Cult of Pandora is a doomsday cult. They seek to open Pandora's Box, an item filled with unspeakable evil. If they have found it, they will stop at nothing to see it opened. We must leave at once!"

"Doomsday... evil... open the box." Thomas turned to Mayor Kara again. "So these Pandora loonies have been causing trouble, too?"

"Not exactly. Normally they just shout their beliefs on street corners and stuff. People counter-protest, but it rarely gets violent. Nowadays, it rarely doesn't get violent. They've been meeting more and more often and in more public places, and someone claiming to be their leader has claimed to have found Pandora's Box." She interrupted Maxine before she could resume her freak out. "We've done our homework, Miss Owens. We've heard the legends about Pandora's Box, so we had a team investigate. It turned out to be a hoax. Just them spouting nonsense, as usual."

"I sincerely doubt it, Mayor," Maxine said. "Can you take us there? I have to see this place for myself. I can, with some effort, see spirits. If this is truly Pandora's Box, I can tell you with certainty."

"Well, you won't have to go far," Mayor Kara said, pointing out her window at a large statue off in the distance. "See that statue? It's a statue of my great-grandfather, Wylie Kara. He founded this town. The Cult said that the statue was actually Pandora's Box. But I don't understand why they would say that. I know it's not some mythological artifact, it's a statue made of stone. I oversaw the building of it myself. You are welcome to investigate it, but you won't find anything useful."

Maxine left without saying another word, leaving Thomas to excuse them and scramble after her. The outsiders made their way back to the town's entrance, where they found the statue of Wylie Kara. Maxine closed her eyes and focused, trying to sense any spiritual activity. Almost immediately she shuddered, falling to her knees in shock. "It's here. I have never felt such evil. It's not..." she closed her eyes again and focused, this time looking for a source. "No, it's not the statue. It's coming from underground."

"Underground?" Thomas looked at her skeptically. "That explains why the Cult thinks the statue is Pandora's Box. It's actually underneath the statue. So why don't we just move the statue, dig up the box, and destroy it?"

"You mustn't!" Maxine screamed. "You must not disturb the statue. The evil that is inside Pandora's Box has begun to seep its way into the statue. The statue has become an extension of Pandora's Box. If it breaks or is disturbed, you will release everything inside! I will try to put a sealing spell on the statue to prevent any more evil from entering it."

She held her hands in front of her, mumbling something that Thomas didn't understand. She kept at this for a few minutes before Thomas interrupted her. "Almost done there?"

"This will take all of my strength," she said, not opening her eyes. "Be patient." After a few minutes more, she finally placed her hands on the statue - and screamed.

The evil spirits housed in the statue flooded into Maxine's body, causing her immeasurable pain. She fell to the ground, clutching herself tightly. "Max! Jesus, Max, what happened?!" Thomas kneeled down and turned Maxine over as she cried, the pain slowly dissipating.

"I am cursed," she choked out. "There is no stopping this, Thomas. It is too much for me or anyone else to stop. Get out while you can and leave this cursed town."

"Wait, what do you mean, 'cursed'? Cursed how?"

A man, cloaked in black, approached them. "The evil inside Pandora's Box has tainted her soul. She will die soon."

Thomas looked up at the strange man. "Are you one of those Pandora nuts? What happened to her?"

"Excuse my terrible manners. My name is Dapp Che. I'm the leader of the Cult of Pandora." He extended his hand in a greeting and was not at all offended when Thomas did not take it. "I'm a visitor, like you, and I can see spirits, like her. I was not born with those abilities, but after extensive studying, I have learned how it's done. She is right in that there is no stopping Pandora's Box from opening. I saw what she was doing. I would have stopped her from trying, but to be honest I was more interested in the results of her experiment. Even I'm not foolish enough to try and stop Pandora's Box, but it was nice to have my hypotheses confirmed."

"What the hell, man?" Thomas said, rising to his feet. "You're fine with letting an innocent person die?"

"For science? Absolutely," he replied, pointing a finger at Thomas. "Science is cold, calculating, methodical. There is no guilt or innocence in science. If one person needs to die in order to further mankind's knowledge of science, I will gladly pay that price. It does not matter if it's one person, a hundred people, a thousand people, or a hundred thousand people. I will do all in the name of science."

"You are a huge weirdo," Thomas said, helping Maxine to her feet. "Why haven't the people of Kara's Vale locked you up?"

"They don't care!" Dapp said, smiling. "They just don't care. They have more important things to worry about than some nerd in a robe preaching about how the world's gonna end. Plus, I've committed no crime. What are they going to arrest me for?"

"Bad fashion sense for one, and being a complete looney tune for another. Plus opening this box."

Dapp simply continued to smile. "Ask your friend if I'm crazy. Pandora's Box is opening, Mr. Martin, make no mistake, but it wasn't because of me. It is a culmination of all evils in the world, and the box can no longer hold it all. This statue, as your friend said, has become an extension of Pandora's Box. But stone won't hold the spirits in for long. I'm just here to speed things along however I can, which, again, is not a crime. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to return home and update my journals with this latest development."

As Dapp left, Thomas wrapped Maxine's arm around his shoulder. "Come on, let's get you to the inn or hotel or whatever it is they got here. You can tell me more in the morning."

Night zero will end Tuesday, August 4, 2015, at 7 AM CST.

Pandora's Box timer: 0

Last edited:
Do not post during night.

Also, warning for scattered mind for liking a post.

Werewolf 27: Revelation
Day One

In the morning, Thomas went to check on Maxine, and get as much information as he could about the Cult of Pandora. Curse or no curse, he had a job to do. He let her clean up and get dressed, but then the two of them went to see Mayor Kara so they could explain what had transpired.

"So they weren't lying after all," Mayor Kara said, gazing out at the statue. "It really is the end of days? Can we stop it?"

"No," Maxine confirmed. "At least, I am not aware of a way to stop it. Perhaps... no. It is too barbaric."

"Tell me," Kara demanded. "I don't care if it's not pretty. If this thing doesn't get stopped, the whole world's gonna end. I can't have that on my conscience."

Maxine sighed. "Pandora's Box is literally filled with all the evil the world has ever known, and then some. It may be appeased with... sacrifice."

Thomas laughed at this. "Sacrifice? You mean like laying people out, ripping out their hearts and offering them up to the sun god or something? That kind of stuff?"

"That is disgusting, and completely unnecessary... but it's not wrong," Maxine conceded. "The box is full of evil spirits. Maybe, just maybe, if the spirits sacrificed were evil, its hunger would be sated, at least temporarily. It's ridiculous. I wouldn't expect you to--"

"I'll do it," Mayor Kara said, matter-of-factly. "Like you said, it's barbaric, but what other choice do we have? From what you've told me, you've been sentenced to death for trying to meddle with it. That's on me. It wouldn't be right if I didn't try to make amends."

"Well sure," Thomas interrupted, "But do you really think that this is the right plan? How are you going to expect people to go along with this?"

Mayor Kara smiled. "The mafia. All I do is play it up like the evil inside will be pleased if evil spirits are sacrificed. We'll use the guillotine and...sacrifice...anyone deemed worthy."

Thomas raised an eyebrow. "Worthy? Do I even want to know what that means?"

"We need to flush out Wise's henchmen anyway. So we'll put it to a vote. Most votes loses their head. Then we just keep going until... I don't know. I haven't thought that far ahead. But we'll get it done."

And so it was. Mayor Kara called the entire town out, but only a couple dozen people cared to show up. She laid out their plan and, while it wasn't perfect, everyone agreed that it was their best shot at surviving.

"So," Mayor Kara said, leaning up against the guillotine. "Who's going to be first?"

Someone's dreams have become reality!

There are 23 players left in the game. First to 12 votes gets lynched.

Day one will end whenever two players are lynched.

When the first player is lynched, they will be killed. There will be a death scene, and then the day will continue until a second player reaches the new majority.

Pandora's Box timer: 0

Oh. I should mention this, because this is important and you will all freak out if I go to bed without saying it:

There is no cult faction.

The Cult of Pandora exists in flavor only. It is NOT a faction in the game, I know I'm working with Cult Man himself but there's no way I'd ever let him even think about slipping a cult past me.

As you were.

@Vom @Celever @Squirtle Squad @Athena @Camoclone @bbninjas @GM DracLord @Jeremy1026 @Luispipe8 @Mr.Muffin @TheGuy @TwistedTurtwig @scattered mind @Yeowie @Chaos Jackal @JoshB @Mega Adi @steffenka @thegrovylekid @Luctini27 @Ice Espeon @Cinesra @Cookie

Ok, so let's do this to finish the game easier: those who aren't aligned with the Town, raise your hand. (?)

Well, shall we begin with Camo's RVS Tycoon or did someone got any results that would like to share by any chance?

Here to stay, and hopefully all else will. The game is too interesting for people to skip.

Nothing else except confirm my existence for the time being. Since the game begun with N0, however, and judging by PMJ's post, something definitely happened. For one, we've got to lynch two people instead of the normal one, which means that most probably the guy who represents Pandora's cult has begun his stalling process. Whether that dream that has become a reality is connected to the two lynches or not I don't know. But most certainly this D1 isn't devoid of info.

So, no posting during night, even though its to get clarification of when night ends because the date provided doesn't exist...cool.

##VOTE: [Chaos Jackal]. You seem to be making an awful lot of speculation for only one night. Something's not right about that.

##VOTE: [Chaos Jackal]. You seem to be making an awful lot of speculation for only one night. Something's not right about that.
It just looks like generating discussion to me, which is what town does. There's not really anything wrong with it.

I do want to point out now that there are a lot of newer players, and newer players scumread a lot more than more experienced players whether they are town or mafia. We should handle lynches carefully in this game.

I actually think that someone has interrupted the indie guy with their role last night, like a hooker or something. The timer for Pandora's Box is still at 0, and I sort of assumed it would go up by at least 1 each update without any interference. Lynching two people today also plays against the indie's Win Condition, because he needs to stall the game out, not make it progress faster, so I disagree with you @Chaos Jackal that the indie has already got to work. I think that someone used their role yesterday (most likely town) to make it so that 2 players will be lynch today to start the indie off at an immediate disadvantage, and this also means that there are town roles specifically designed to hinder the indie, which is just interesting info to have IMO.

Also ##VOTE: Camoclone because he's not said anything yet which is out of character for him :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back