Pokemon What Drives You Crazy in Pokémon?

Tails said:
PMJ said:
Nothing in Pokemon drives me crazy quite like the successful double protect.

In Chuggaaconroy's playthrough of Pokemon Emerald, a Battle Girl's Meditite outside Fortree was able to use Detect five times in a row without failure.
I was fully paralyzed seven times in a row after getting paralyzed. Your example is nothing compared to that! :p (That's just 4 x 30%, mine is 7 x 25%!)

What I never understand is this. A pokemon only has a certain percentage of hitting off its status elements. However! Somehow, always always always. The AI manages an attack that only has something like a 20% almost 90% of the time. How the in the world? I have never frozen anyone with ice beam ever. I have never paralyzed anyone before. WTF. Why. Cheating AI, that's why

KamonSurge said:
What I never understand is this. A pokemon only has a certain percentage of hitting off its status elements. However! Somehow, always always always. The AI manages an attack that only has something like a 20% almost 90% of the time. How the in the world? I have never frozen anyone with ice beam ever. I have never paralyzed anyone before. WTF. Why. Cheating AI, that's why
Because you OHKO anyway.

Teal said:
KamonSurge said:
Because you OHKO anyway.

This is very very true. My pokemon were way above the levels of the gym leaders and I...this game isn't very difficult. :(

Which goes to Gym Battles. Stop Spamming Hyper Potions when your pokemon manages 1hp because you know what OHKO in the next turn.

I turn off the EXP Share and make sure my Pokémon are the same level as the GLs. That way It isn't too easy.

PMJ said:
That's just lulz. It's two that's infuriating. Any more after that and you're just trolling.

Speaking of trolling, I did a lot of that in Colosseum against its AI. I made absolutely sure that it didn't have a chance to strike back at me.

Anyway, back on topic, a few things that drove me a bit up the wall:

Blue in Gen 1 & Gen 3 with his catchphrase (Smell ya later!)

Barry's constant threats to fine you

Being Stolen by Zubat (Caves) & Tentacool (Surfing on water)

The Youngsters constantly bragging about their shorts

When important trainers like Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and the Champion use potions and full restores, it just kills the mood for me...it's not just about "Argh, I was this close to KO'ing that Pokemon!" (although that's frustrating too). It takes away from what's supposed to feel like a dramatic battle of wits, to me.

An opponent's Pokemon using Whirlwind or Roar on me. I have a specific way of training my Pokemon, and those moves screw up my planned EXP distribution. I train my Pokemon one level at a time (except when I catch a new Pokemon, in which case I level it up until it's at the same level as the rest of my team, then I go back to leveling them up one at a time) and I level them up in the order I caught them in. It's to the point where after the battle, I have to battle wild Pokemon until I get at least the amount of EXP I would've normally gotten on the Pokemon who was supposed to get it (I also do this when one of my Pokemon faints and a different Pokemon has to defeat the opponent).

Seven is a Color said:
When important trainers like Gym Leaders, Elite Four, and the Champion use potions and full restores, it just kills the mood for me...it's not just about "Argh, I was this close to KO'ing that Pokemon!" (although that's frustrating too). It takes away from what's supposed to feel like a dramatic battle of wits, to me.

An opponent's Pokemon using Whirlwind or Roar on me. I have a specific way of training my Pokemon, and those moves screw up my planned EXP distribution. I train my Pokemon one level at a time (except when I catch a new Pokemon, in which case I level it up until it's at the same level as the rest of my team, then I go back to leveling them up one at a time) and I level them up in the order I caught them in. It's to the point where after the battle, I have to battle wild Pokemon until I get at least the amount of EXP I would've normally gotten on the Pokemon who was supposed to get it (I also do this when one of my Pokemon faints and a different Pokemon has to defeat the opponent).

I like to raise my Pokémon by about 5 levels at a time, but it depends on the level of the next Gym Leader. I hate how in XY you get EXP for capturing Pokémon, because in my run of Y, I caught everything I could (excluding the roaming bird) and my Pokémon ended up going over the level of the next GL's strongest Pokémon.

I have two things:

-The Post Game city is way to small with way to little to do, okay I get it they didn't want to do the whole region travel like Johto. But what about adding the contest when you beat the game? I need more stuff to do after I beat the elite 4 and become the Champion

-1 BP??? Come on Battle Mansion, I get 1 BP? How about BP is based on how well you did? So the Max should be 5 for a perfect score. If a Pokemon faints, you get 4, two Pokemon, 3, etc.

Reggie McGigas said:
The fact that we have pokemon like kingdra and kingler that can be female. Gen 4 fixed this with Vespiquen, thank goodness.

Seaking even has gender differences.

I find it pretty annoying that there is a potion that heals 20 HP and one that heals 100, but there isn't one that heals 50! I hate that right before I start an important battle and one Pokemon is in the yellow, I either have to use 2 or 3 normal potions or use a super potion but waste half the healing power.

GarbodorLover said:
I find it pretty annoying that there is a potion that heals 20 HP and one that heals 100, but there isn't one that heals 50! I hate that right before I start an important battle and one Pokemon is in the yellow, I either have to use 2 or 3 normal potions or use a super potion but waste half the healing power.
Uhhh... Super Potion heals 50, Hyper Potion heals 200 (and if you want to heal 100 you can always use Moomoo Milk).

Heavenly Spoon said:
GarbodorLover said:
Uhhh... Super Potion heals 50, Hyper Potion heals 200 (and if you want to heal 100 you can always use Moomoo Milk).

Wasn't Moomoo Milk introduced in Gen 2?

Something that drives me crazy in pokemon is when you want to speed through the game but your rival/rivals(if referring to pokemon x and y) stop you from doing so. Especially on that one bride in version x and y.

Barry's fines. Seriously, this guy is worse than all the taxes I'll pay in my life. And he tends to do that EVERY time he meets you... some friends we have.

Why can't Deoxys be traded on the GTS even though it isn't event-exclusive anymore?

*People who disconnect instead of forfeiting (I mean, if it's internet problems and not intentionally DCing, that's one thing, but I've experienced intentional DCs before and they suck).

*People who have six Pokémon in their party/Battle Box but bring fewer than six into battle (unless it's Battle Spot, of course- I'm talking challenging passersby on the PSS).

*Character customization being exclusively for Kalos, as opposed to a staple of the series. I want that fedora permanently!

*The complete lack of a cowboy hat for the player character.

*The lack of availability of Apricorn Poké Balls in games that don't include Johto. Can't any of those stores have Apricorn Balls imported or something?

*The inability to transfer items up between generations. It just feels like my Master Ball stockpile goes to waste whenever a new generation comes along.

*Yanmega can't learn Fly, a direct contradiction of its HG/SS Pokédex entry.

*Gyarados being part Flying. I mean, I get it- they didn't want to make it part Dragon because back then it wouldn't have had any weaknesses... but part Flying? And with no Flying moves to its name to this day outside of Bounce (which every fish can learn- hell, even Magikarp gets Bounce!).

*The fact that they finally had a chance to make Gyarados a Dragon-type with Mega Evolutions... and they make it part Dark instead. And wait even longer to give it access to Crunch (though I've had moderate success with a bulky, relatively slow Mega Gyarados that runs Payback).

*Weezing still having higher Attack than Special Attack, despite its impressive special movepool and its horrible physical movepool. Which brings me to...

*Weezing hasn't had any physical STAB since before the physical/special split. They even designed the perfect move for Weezing- Gunk Shot- and have consistently failed to add it to Weezing's movepool.

*Weezing and Gengar were able to get Sludge Wave from the Dream World (and Gengar also from a later event) but are incompatible with the TM. Just let them learn it naturally already!

*That blue pentagon that's barring some of my Pokémon from certain WiFi competitions. And some of them I can't just re-breed, because, among other things...

*Qwilfish can only learn Swords Dance from the move tutor in Generation III. The TM will not work on it. What's the deal with that?

*Similarly, Shedinja no longer gains any moves Ninjask learns immediately following evolution. Granted, Endure+Weakness Policy makes for a surprisingly adequate substitute for Swords Dance, but still...

*Shinies that are almost, if not completely, indistinguishable from their normal forms, like Seel, Garchomp, Persian, and Gengar.

*The jingle that plays when you catch a Pokémon. Generation I's was better than what it currently is.

*Nintendo's continued refusal to so much as acknowledge Missingno., despite its ever-growing fanbase.

*People on the PSS who set their message to indicate that they want a battle... and then decline your challenge.

*Hypnosis's accuracy being buffed to 70% at the start of Generation IV... only to be lowered back to 60% halfway through. Acid raid, a debilitating, game-breaking glitch, was allowed to persist until the end of the generation, but oh, no, this couldn't wait!

*Given the above, the fact that the Sky Drop glitch wasn't fixed for B2/W2, so instead they just kept Sky Drop banned. It's like a Contrary Spinda used Skill Swap on GameFreak's priorities or something.

*In-store events switching from wireless distribution to serial codes. I can't be the only one who likes to be able to download the event Pokémon without getting out of the car.

*All the Shiny-locked stuff in X and Y. Xerneas and Yveltal, OK, I kinda get that. Korrina's Lucario, sure, I understand that. Zygarde, the Kanto legendaries, and Snorlax, on the other hand, not so much.

*We can no longer tell if any of the starters are Shiny on the starter selection screen. HG/SS introduced what could have potentially been a big thing, only for it to be taken away.

*The Spiky-Eared Pichu's inability to be transferred to Generation V. I liked that thing! Moreover, the complete inability to deposit the Cosplay Pikachu in Bank tells me that a similar fate awaits it.

*Stuff that's good as-is, like Garchomp and Salamence, getting Mega Evolutions while the likes of Farfetch'd and Luvdisc are left in the dust.

*Low Sweep getting "buffed" to 65 base power, when the only reason anyone ever used it ever was on stuff with Technician.

*Kadabra's unique immunity to the Everstone- if it's traded while holding an Everstone, it still evolves, while anyone who makes the trade for that Haunter in Snowpoint City knows that that's not right. They call it a glitch on Bulbapedia, but if you ask me, this has Uri Geller's stink all over it.

*No way to change a Pokémon's Ability from its Hidden Ability to one of its normal ones. I know this is usually not an issue, but if I ever get a chance to change my Shiny Noivern's Ability from Telepathy to Infiltrator, believe you me, I'm taking it.

*No Battle Frontier in OR/AS. All the hinting should have at least led somewhere!

*The PWT not becoming a staple of the series.

*Voltorb and Electrode not being findable at the Poké Ball factory. Considering their origins and positions in the Kalos Dex, I fail to see how they passed up this kind of opportunity.

*People who misspell Qwilfish's name by replacing the W with a U.

*People who misspell Klinklang's name by throwing an extra G into the middle of it.

*The Berry Juice Shoppe in Lumiose City not being a thing in OR/AS. I had enough Enigma and Roseli Berries in Y to be set on Ultra Rare Sodas for a long time.

*Pokémon that only become Dragon-types by Mega Evolving not being allowed to learn Draco Meteor.

*Noibat's movepool. You would think a Dragon-type would get something in the way of a Dragon move without the need for breeding or a move tutor. You would think. Not even Dragon Breath or Twister!

*Anger Point no longer activating from behind a Substitute. Had a Primeape whose entire strategy was centered on that...

*Kalos going into full-blown drought mode as soon as your Sliggoo hits level 49.

*Heatmor's Speed stat. And inability to learn Flame Charge when every other Fire-type (not counting Heat Rotom) can learn it!

*Samurott's movepool, Speed stat, and relatively useless Hidden Ability (especially when compared to the gems Serperior and Emboar got!).

*FR/LG's soundtrack. It just... it doesn't feel the same way as Generation I's music, if that makes any sense.

*Character customization being exclusively for Kalos, as opposed to a staple of the series. I want that fedora permanently!

*The lack of availability of Apricorn Poké Balls in games that don't include Johto. Can't any of those stores have Apricorn Balls imported or something?

*The inability to transfer items up between generations. It just feels like my Master Ball stockpile goes to waste whenever a new generation comes along.

*Yanmega can't learn Fly, a direct contradiction of its HG/SS Pokédex entry.

*Gyarados being part Flying. I mean, I get it- they didn't want to make it part Dragon because back then it wouldn't have had any weaknesses... but part Flying? And with no Flying moves to its name to this day outside of Bounce (which every fish can learn- hell, even Magikarp gets Bounce!).

*The fact that they finally had a chance to make Gyarados a Dragon-type with Mega Evolutions... and they make it part Dark instead. And wait even longer to give it access to Crunch (though I've had moderate success with a bulky, relatively slow Mega Gyarados that runs Payback).

*Weezing still having higher Attack than Special Attack, despite its impressive special movepool and its horrible physical movepool. Which brings me to...

*Shinies that are almost, if not completely, indistinguishable from their normal forms, like Seel, Garchomp, Persian, and Gengar.

*We can no longer tell if any of the starters are Shiny on the starter selection screen. HG/SS introduced what could have potentially been a big thing, only for it to be taken away.

*FR/LG's soundtrack. It just... it doesn't feel the same way as Generation I's music, if that makes any sense.

As for character customisation, yeah it should been stapple ever since, just like Pokémon following us and the toutch-screen-friendly Dex from HG. This game is so amazing and I hated to have that C-gear in Isshu.
To a certain extent, I can understand Gyarados Flying type as it's based on wind streamers. As for M.Gyarados being Dark...it just seems like giving a type fitting of it's face and contribute to the "meanie" reputation.
As a fan of Poison Pokémon and namely Weezing, while I do agree I also like it since it makes that only those who like train it!
Like I've been saying, shinies were a nice thing that could and should have been expanded but it's now a collector's thing. We had different coloured Pokémon in the anime for years and only now has GF came up with it and only applied to Vivillion. Worse yet, shinies are now falling into democracy, with pre-Gen. VI shinies being vintage.
What's bad with LG/FR ost? I like it, even the Sevii (Johto) themes. I felt like it was a nice follow up and evolution to Gen. I. It surely wasn't the same but it was good and brought the memories while making new ones.

Back