“ex Starter Deck Generations” Revealed Featuring 18 Pokemon ex!

A new Sycamore!! And Xerneas does look great as well I’m happy (I absolutely was not expecting these were gonna be playable so no surprise there, best bet is PLZA gives us a good Xerneas)

I know that almost all of these cards will just be bulk, but colorless noibat is at least interesting since you can now accelerate to it with trumpet in some sort of tera-control deck
Sylveon and Toedscruel are also fine, and that's about it for the 9 decks!
Edit: Oh, and Tapu Koko ex could be played in miraidon post rotation for a more efficient 220dmg attacker

Last edited:
The only 2 I'm thinking could make a big splash is Tapu Koko and Toedscruel. Koko is effectively Raikou V minus the ability and the retreat cost but plus 40 damage. For decks that don't care about Raikou's ability or Seal Stone they should play Koko over it. Toedscruel may not make as big of an impact, but -2 retreat cost is insane.

There's a lot of really great art on the cards themselves as usual, but the unique key art for each deck is phenomenal. I love the style, and they did a really great job capturing the unique feel of each Region.

If you look at the last nine images carefully, there are some Pokémon that have been hinted to be in the decks like Ratatta, Marill and Pelipper of Kanto, Johto and Hoenn respectively. Also, in the translations, Slowpoke is listed as having Fighting Weakness when the card in question actually has Lightning Weakness. I think here, only the new cards like Slowing, Tropius and the Pokémon ex will be in January's set. The reprints will most definitely be cut. So here, I can say that apart from Professor Sada, we should get the other eight professors in the January set. After all, a PROSPECTIVE set list can also be used as a PARTIAL set list, used as an opportunity to predict what cards will make the cut and who won't. Some of them might end up being Promo Exclusive, like Wooper and Quagsire are for the upcoming Surging Sparks set. Either way, these decks will guarantee to give us many possibilities on who might join the other Pokémon that are seen in December's Japanese set.

Thinking about it, double stage 2 cringe aside Blazeiken ex and Skeledirge ex could be fun. If Blaze actually stacks then you could easily fuel a mon while Skeledirge powers the attack up by 60,120,ect...

Tyranitar ex is the only other eye brow rasing one because one colorless and not discarding afterwords is actually alright. Could use a combination of crispin, dark patch, mirage gate, alot of different accelerators to hit big numbers fast

Lucario gets treated so weirdly in the tcg. It gets lots of love in the form of getting lots of cards and often even multiple different multi prize cards(3 V's, 3 ex's). Yet it doesn't get live because they are always bad. Why make 3 different copies of a card and not make any of them collectible or usable? I don't even care that much about collecting I like playing the game but at least give it a chase card if you aren't going to make it usable in a deck. Sad day for Lucario fans.

I feel like the Pokemon company missed a big opportunity here.

The promotional art they did for each deck should have been an SAR for one of the 2 featured mon of any deck.

This way even though most cards are competitively useless there would be a cool garunteed chase to grab out of the decks.

Consumers would be happier and sales would be better for this product.

In all honesty I just wish I had that Blaziken and Kyogre promo art in the form of a textured SAR because it is freaking beautiful.

The rightmost promo on top of the Special Battle Set is Duraludon from Stellar Crown/Miracle. The leftmost illustration rare might be Meowth, judging from the color and body shape in the middle.

Back