“Scarlet ex and Violet ex” Cards Fully Revealed!

A one-of Toxtricity in Zorobox seems like it could win some cheap games, especially in combination with a Roxanne.

Tatsugiri and Dondozo looks fun, but could be fairly easy to counter with Echoing Horn, especially given that Scoop Up Net will have rotated.

I think Gyarados ex is pretty terrible unfortunately, especially since electric looks to be a prominent type.

Revavroom's ability is inferior to Bibarel, but it does have the benefit of higher HP (and an 80 HP basic too).

Defiant Band does not give enough benefit to warrant the deck space, especially since it does nothing when ahead (or level) in the prize trade.

Slowbro will find a niche in a control deck, just not sure which (maybe with Picnic Basket?).

I wish Klefki had an attack that helped setup in some way, because that ability is really helpful for evolution decks that struggle against lost box.

Is Rocky Helmet the worst tool card in standard? Probably.

Miriam is perhaps the best recover supporter we have every seen.

Wow, they are really knocking it out of the park with the artwork in this set. Makes me excited for commons and uncommons again!

- Looks like lightning types are back on the menu, boys!

- This set features our first true spider Pokémon (8 legs)

- Unlike MTG, the artwork on cards keeps getting better and better

- I will definitely make a full foil Dondozo deck

All in all, Gen 9 looks like it’s off to an amazing start. Can’t wait until March!
Yeah how is it MtG has such awful artwork, everything looks the same and also like nothing at all simultaneously. God I miss cartoons art like the Foglios and soft art like Rebecca Gray.

Caveat is it needs you discard an energy. Which I guess isnt very hard to do, but you cant just dump your hand and draw to 5 like Abyssal Hand or Insidious Incisors. Still pretty good.
Combo with Radiant Greninja and thats pretty solid draw support for decks that like to discard energy.

Stand out cards:

Klefki: Prank lock shuts down Comfey, Genesect V and all Radiant Pokémon. Most likely the best card of this set.

Nest Ball: Needed Pokémon search with Quick Ball lost due to rotation.

Miriam: Recovery and draw in one card is nice. Can see this card as a one or two off in selected decks.

Beach Court: This is Skyarrow Bridge 2.0.

Pokémon ex with potential:

Gardevoir ex: Great acceleration and can use a varienty of decent attackers with build in consistency from its middle evolution.

Koraidon ex: Dino Cry could enable a decent fast fighting deck.

Miraidon ex: Combined with Flaafy this can be the center of a Lighting Box deck.

Spidops ex: Trap Territary ad Wire Hang are a nice combo to hit for a decent number for two attachments.

Banette ex: Poltergeist for trainers and item lock combined in one card is decent.

Single prize Pokémon with potential:

Armarouge: Nice means to re-distribute the attachments with Magma Basin.

Dondozo and Tatsugiri: Nice combo once Articuno is included to enable Dondozo to knock out Pokémon V and Basic Pokémon ex in one hit.

Hawlucha: Flying Entry fixes numbers for several attackers.

Revaroom: Rumbling engine is a decent draw engine in selected decks.

Slowbro: Nice damage removal for future decks combined with Cheryl or Emergency Jelly.

Skwovet: Hide Hole combos well with both Altaria and Hisuian Arcanine.

Maushold: Although frail I would love to experiment with this card in a Zoroark deck.

Trainers of interest:

Electricity Generator: Decent Lighting acceleration.

Penny: Scoop Up effects can be decent in selected decks.

Arven: Nice search supporter which can be used to obtain rare candy of stage 2 ever take off.

Mesagosa: Nice stadium for Zoroark decks or other evolution decks.

Last edited:
So many cool cards. Very happy that abilities now have less conditions. Hope it stays that way for future sets. Miriam is my favourite supporter from this release. A definitelly game changer for sure. It also makes lost city as a counter that much more powerful. ??

Not a bad start. Dondozo might get me back into the game - out of all the dumb, lame designs in Gen IX, Dondozo stands out as particularly inspired and unique. I'm glad that it got a playable card.

Back