“Scarlet & Violet” English Set Revealed for March: Silver Borders, Three Holos Per Pack, Price Increases

I really wanted the set to be named "ex: Scarlet & Violet" but oh well. I'm sad to see set symbols go but it's for the greater good in the long run. Silver borders are nice but I didn't hate the yellow ones. Price increases are interesting, the price of a booster box here in Canada varies a lot shop to shop by as much as a 20$ difference, I guess I'll be more picky when deciding which local store to buy product at (not that I've bought a box since guardians rising). I do love the idea of 3 holos per pack though I hope that means either 2 rares or above or 1 rare and 1 rare or above and not 2 reverse holo common to rare.

I love that they're finally getting rid of non holo rares and giving higher rarity cards a different symbol, way too much stuff used the star as their rarity marker.

Overall TPCi seems to be on a roll with good decisions in recent years

Apparently it has, which is completely beyond me, such an absolute waste. Also, if it has to be all the same, why in hell was bench barrier the one effect chosen for this? It seems so random. Absolutely beyond me why they did that instead of having each card have an individual trait.
I'm not sure it has? While translated literally it implies all have the same effect, there's a strong possibility that they are talking about "the Terastal Pokemon" as in the single one previewed, not necessarily all.

The ETB & Booster Pack Buffs are elite. Does that mean no more nonholo rares? The set symbols going away socks but I'm sure we will recover

Personally, I don't really care about border colors, but old Japanese sets also had yellow borders too. They were smart enough to change around Gen 3 or 4, long before English cards tho.
I will def miss the English exclusive set symbols!

“In an effort to continue providing a positive Pokemon TCG experience and value, each pack of Pokemon cards will now feature three guaranteed foil cards per booster – all cards with a rarity of Rare or higher will now be foil.”
The way this is written, it seems like Reverse Holos will be gone!!! Especially for commons and uncommons.

I’m confused how’s there’s three guaranteed foils per pack? Do they mean two? Because I assume we would get a reverse foil and then the rare foil. What’s the third one?

I’m confused how’s there’s three guaranteed foils per pack? Do they mean two? Because I assume we would get a reverse foil and then the rare foil. What’s the third one?
They're assumably giving us either another reverse holo slot, another rare slot or another rare or higher slot in each pack

This is the biggest news in 26 years of Pokemon TCG. I actually can't believe it. SILVER BORDERS FINALLY. 3 holos per booster pack, no more non-holo rares?!

I was literally talking to friends about One Piece and Digimon packs, where you're guaranteed 2 rares per pack, and how Pokemon are lacking. Then they come out with this. Honestly game changing.

I have a gut feeling they are taking another bad habit from Japan and making Full Arts secret rares because regular research Turo is 190/198. 8 slots for full art ex and supporter. We have gyarados, arcanine, koraidon, miraidon plus turo, sada, nemona. How is this going to play out?

I'm not sure it has? While translated literally it implies all have the same effect, there's a strong possibility that they are talking about "the Terastal Pokemon" as in the single one previewed, not necessarily all.
1670612844456.png

Jokes aside, that is what I assumed, it doesn't make any sense to me otherwise, but WPM "confirmed" it's all of them, I hope he's wrong then, it makes much more sense. Why on earth would an entire slew of cards in a gen just randomly have bench barrier?

I have a gut feeling they are taking another bad habit from Japan and making Full Arts secret rares because regular research Turo is 190/198. 8 slots for full art ex and supporter. We have gyarados, arcanine, koraidon, miraidon plus turo, sada, nemona. How is this going to play out?
It's a sure thing that you're correct. The set is too large to reach that size even with full-arts, so it must include cards from SV1.5 as well.

Assuming that they increase the pull rates of secret rares to compensate for normal full arts being in there I'm actually all for that change, base rarity cards shouldn't also have alt art versions in that same rarity category, it makes filtering cards by rarity a nightmare when there's like 3 versions of the same card that are "ultra rare"

Many welcome changes!

The new energy design doesnt look that bad but I agree its a bit redundant with both the corner indicator and the card name text saying the same thing.

Set symbols will be missed but I guess its for the better, with so many sets now just looking at a symbol makes it pretty hard to figure out which card came from where, though I dont see why remove them completely, just use them in tandem with the set codes like MTG does.

They're assumably giving us either another reverse holo slot, another rare slot or another rare or higher slot in each pack
I think the most likely scenarios are two Reverse slots or two (Holo) Rare slots, with the extra slot being replaced by an ex or better, if you pull one.

Actually a pretty exciting press release. Having just gotten back into the TCG this spring, I’m looking forward to the SV block.

I’m with everyone else on team “will miss the set symbols and yellow borders,” though. I never understood the hate for the yellow/gold — but maybe that’s because my primary era of collecting was Base-Neo Destiny.

BASIC ENERGY ENERGY BASIC GRASS ENERGY GRASS

Really awful stylistic choice. All they had to do was include the word "Basic" in the top left corner. The old energies had one information repeated for convenience in the hand, these ones have two pieces of information tripled for some reason.
I think that the idea is create a waterfall labelling, just like they do for the Trainer cards.
On the top right you read what it is, an energy card. Then you move to the top left and you realize that is a basic or a special energy card. Lastly, you read the main title and you find out what kind of basic or special energy is.

Of course with basic energies looks a bit redundant, but I think it's designed to help the new (potentially young) players.

Last edited:
You almost have to do a double take when looking at English cards with silver borders and set codes.

Those energy cards are ooglay, though. I thought most people understood it’s a standard energy card? (How could you not?)

Back