(1) Arceus and the Jewel of Life [8/10]

Juliacoolo said:
I will be mad if that ar-say-iss is right. It sounds dump like "po-kay-mon" and all those other, over-exatrated pokemon names. The name sounds pretty cool, lets hope the movie stays good in america.

Kingdra King said:
lolz at pokaymon :)

I really hope thet don't make it arsayiss for the movie in english...

Gliscor said:
Pokaymon? LOL. Arsayiss? LOL. *Sigh* Pokemon movies have their ways of mispronouncing the names. I mean, they called Bonsly "Bons-lee" Looks cool, though.

Y'all do know that it is pronounced Po-kay-mon, right? That's what the é is for. It's an "ay" sound.

I've always called it Ar-say-us since I've known about it. The name sounds far better than "Arse-y us", imo.

Kind of disappointed with the title. Dunno, it just sounds lame to me. "Jewel of life". Meh. Guess it's not that big of a deal, it's certainly a lot better than previous titles like "Destiny Deoxys" or "Rise of Darkrai"

Wow, the second video shows some really awesome footage. :0

The guy sounds a lot like a robot, though, with his odd pauses. xD

ugh, i hate how he said "pocky-mon". but you guys do know it's pronounced as "poe-kay-mon" right? "poke-E-mon" is just an english missinterretation since we read e differently from the japanese.
but, it's a neat trailor. i'm really excited. i like the english movie title name. i'm hoping that since this is out, the movie will be out in america sooner. i'd really like to watch it. i just hope they don't screw it up since arceus is the god of all pokemon after all.

I don't like the name, but it looks awesome! I also like how in the 2nd clip, the guy had to push Pikachu up the stairs by his butt!

They really should keep it as ar-cee-uss.I always used to think after watching the anime and seeing ash meet new pokemon that I have a problem with pronounciation, but it's the guys who do the voice overs who suck.
For real, I mean ar-say-iss?
"ARGH!SAY IT IS!"
Fine guys.. it is ar-say-iss.. Just wanted to keep pokemon cool is all..
Like is bonsly bon-slee or bon-sly?

Bon-slee.

I didn't know there were 2 clips.
*checks again*

Pocky-mon.... :/

Yes.
American pronunciation of stuff sucks. What else is new?

I don't watch the show or movies, but the trailer looks pretty cool. As for the pronunciation, who cares? Just say it the way you want :p

Now this'll be interesting to see. I like that they've maintained in the subtitles the words he spoke for Judgement, but I bet y'all 10 bucks that it'll change again once it hits dubbing in the US. Can't have a biblical reference to the world burning in fire and mankind being judged can we now.

._.
And he kinda says it about 20x in the movie so it really will be interesting.

Aha! So I'm NOT the only one who noticed they were pronouncing Ponyo wrong! (It's POHN-YO, not PAHN-YO, idiots!)

Oh, and I pronounce things how I want, so it's still AR-SEE-IHS to me :3

Yeah I yelled at the TV when the idiot said pawn-yo. I hope that's just the narrator and not how they say it in the actual movie. I remember for the Pokemon 3 trailer they said "En-tei-e" or something like that, but the movie pronounced it fine.

I find it funny, 'cause, in Pearl's OWN words in Platinum:

P-o-k-ACCENT-e

Accented e = a

Also, the guy can't even pronounce Pokemon right. Why would anyone think it's Ar-say-is?

Also, PBR announcer- Ar-see-is.

Squid Rooster said:
Ah, we haven't had a pointless bickering over name pronunciations in a while. Those of you whining "stupid Americans can't say anything right, those idiots!" need to step back a moment and observe how many English words the infallible Japanese butcher on a regular basis. Would you call them idiots, too?

I don't think anyone was saying that the other nationalities are flawless in their pronunciations, either (and if they were, then yeah, they're wrong ;D ) - it's just that this is a topic that's somewhat heated in the community and is fun to discuss. xD

I've always pronunced it as 'Ar-say-us,' probably because it's closest to the Japanese pronunciation :p I have to admit though, his way of saying Pokemon does sound a little off lol >__< It almost sounds like he's turning 'Po' into 'Paw' haha (Pawkemon) :p I must admit, I like what they did with the title though :)

Water Pokémon Master said:
Yeah I yelled at the TV when the idiot said pawn-yo. I hope that's just the narrator and not how they say it in the actual movie. I remember for the Pokemon 3 trailer they said "En-tei-e" or something like that, but the movie pronounced it fine.

Considering the movie's english theme has Ponyo pronounced wrong throughout (and it's sung by the people voicing the boy and Ponyo) I'm willing to bet they pronounce it wrong in the movie...

In case anyone wants to hear it...

pokemega32 said:
Considering the movie's english theme has Ponyo pronounced wrong throughout (and it's sung by the people voicing the boy and Ponyo) I'm willing to bet they pronounce it wrong in the movie...

In case anyone wants to hear it...

missprenounciations (however that's spelt) can be a bit irritating. you'd think they'd at least look this stuff up or actually listen to the Japanese voices to hear how it's said. ah well, no one's perfect, i guess.

i'm really excited about this movie (pokemon, though ponyo looks cool too). i'm interested in seeing how they are going to handle the dialogue when it's brought over. i will absolutly love them if they keep it pretty close to the Japanese wording like judgement, god, etc. his attack is called judgement in english so why change it in the movie?

Everyone does makes mistakes and should be fixed soon. I think this will be a great movie. I heard from a member here that it will be on August 25 on Cartoon Network? Is this true? I thought it would not be released until February or March next year.:)

*sigh*

It's pronounced Arc-say-us because it comes from the word "deus" (as in "god") which is pronounced day-us, it's from Latin

redchesus said:
*sigh*

It's pronounced Arc-say-us because it comes from the word "deus" (as in "god") which is pronounced day-us, it's from Latin

orly?

I thought it was pronounced "doose." You know, like goose. :p

/me really wants to see this movie.

It's a common mispronunciation, actually. Deuce (pronounced doose), like in cards, is notably similar to deus, but yes. It is "Day-us", like in Deus Ex Machina (Day-us ecks mah-kee-nuh) [Meaning God from the Machine].

Back